24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I feel like the longest epic journey of my life has finally concluded. I started putting in for Cali antelope when I was 16. Finally drew at age 64.

[Linked Image]

"Everyone is ignorant, just on different subjects" Will Rogers THB
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice buck, whatcha shooting there? And is this your first antelope or just first/last California antelope?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice tell me more about the rifle and load you used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Are you available to take pictures for my upcoming hunt? Just joking with you....nice buck.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice buck! Score one for us old guys.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Congrats. That's a great buck!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Indeed looks like a great buck. Please do share more about the hunt with us.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Great buck, looks like you made the most of the wait.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
California, Land of Opportunity. Great buck. Worth the wait?

LOL
IC B3

OP Offline
My first antelope, but when my son was a junior he drew twice, an adult tag his first eligible year when he was 13 and the following year a junior tag. I should have been buying him lottery tickets! So we have hunted them before, in the same zone 5, but that was 20 years ago.

I was solo on the tag, but my son came along for a while. We scouted 2 days and spotted a couple of decent ones on some BLM, but no success on the opener. Ditto Sunday morning. My son had to go home, family and work called, so I was total solo by Sunday afternoon. I knocked on a farmhouse door and to my surprise got the OK to hunt an alfalfa ranch abutting the Ash Creek Wildlife area. Went out Sunday evening to get the lay of the land for a morning try and then hung around to watch the sun go down. Towards sundown a lone doe came out on the field. She moseyed towards me and after a bit the buck showed up and followed her towards me. When the rangefinder said 155 yards and he turned sideways I put the crosshairs just behind the bucks left shoulder and touched off. There was a big puff of dirt on the far side of him, and he took off like a scalded cat. He covered a hundred yards in about three seconds, and I started to think I missed or only nicked him. Just then he went down like a tripped horse in an old movie cavalry charge and never twitched again.

I used my old 30-06 Mauser Sporter, used to be my Dads. I did put a new Shilen barrel on it I few years back. I was using a Barnes 168gr TTSX bullet. I was not happy with the bullets terminal ballistic performance. The shot went right where I was holding, poked both lungs, but the exit hole was no larger than the entrance hole. Seems like that solid copper bullet performed like a FMJ on that antelope. I am speculating, but I believe with that shot my old favorite 165 gr Hornady BTSP would have dropped him where he stood. I chose the Barnes after I tried some (in view of the enlightened decision of the Cal Legislature to do away with demon lead) and found they do group a bit better out of my gun.

"Everyone is ignorant, just on different subjects" Will Rogers THB
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Beautiful buck TH. Very nice that your son could be there with you, no doubt. Congrats!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perseverance pays off!
Glad you drew before you were too old to use the tag.
I'm playing those odds myself on Tule elk.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.