Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great, so you are using Hitler as a Litmus test.

Anyone can say they are Christian.

signed,

RWE, a midget black man.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE
great, so you are using Hitler as a Litmus test.

Anyone can say they are Christian.

signed,

RWE, a midget black man.

Are you proposing the "True Scotsman" fallacy again?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to be honest with you.

I don't spend a lot of time in study of old Christians.

I don't study people that study Christians..

I go to church, and I try to do whatever I can whenever I can to help my fellow man. (Even gay people and minorities... [that's for the sanctimonious folks])

I pray a lot, I just don't talk about it, especially here. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because its between me and Him.

I don't dwell on my imperfection to hold it up as a symbol, and I certainly don't hold up my faith as anything more than what it is, simple.

I'm still crude, rude, obnoxious, vulgar and generally a dick, but I'm better than I used to be. This is as far as He's been able to drag me, kicking and screaming.

By the time I'm dead, I'll be just about perfect.

Given that, no clue on "True Scotsman".

Hook me up..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that you may have just described me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I think that you may have just described me.

It may come down to who's the bigger dick.

I'll leave it at that.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE
Got to be honest with you.

I don't spend a lot of time in study of old Christians.

I don't study people that study Christians..

I go to church, and I try to do whatever I can whenever I can to help my fellow man. (Even gay people and minorities... [that's for the sanctimonious folks])

I pray a lot, I just don't talk about it, especially here. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because its between me and Him.

I don't dwell on my imperfection to hold it up as a symbol, and I certainly don't hold up my faith as anything more than what it is, simple.

I'm still crude, rude, obnoxious, vulgar and generally a dick, but I'm better than I used to be. This is as far as He's been able to drag me, kicking and screaming.

By the time I'm dead, I'll be just about perfect.

Given that, no clue on "True Scotsman".

Hook me up..

RWE, Happy to hook you up:

No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim ("no Scotsman would do such a thing"), rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no true Scotsman would do such a thing").

Now that probably sounds like a whole bunch of gobbellygook, so let me give an example:

Here is the original example from Anthony Flew in his book "Thinking about thinking".

Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton (England) Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen (Scotland) man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion, but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says: "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".

Now, regarding my perception of your Christianity, You said you see it as a private affair between you and your God. I don't see you proselytizing or attempting to push creationism in the schools etc. You state you are willing to discard some at least some of the immoral teaching of your holy book, so you already crafting your own moral code that is more moral then your God. You are also open minded to learning new idea's as demonstrated by your honest question regarding my reference to the True Scotsman fallacy.

Consequently you are not the Christian I'm looking for to debate. I"ll be happy to converse with you as you continue to grow your personal moral philosophy. I don't see your brand of Christianity, as I understand it, as the problem, and enjoy your often irreverent posts.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Now, regarding my perception of your Christianity, You said you see it as a private affair between you and your God. I don't see you proselytizing or attempting to push creationism in the schools etc. You state you are willing to discard some at least some of the immoral teaching of your holy book, so you already crafting your own moral code that is more moral then your God. You are also open minded to learning new idea's as demonstrated by your honest question regarding my reference to the True Scotsman fallacy.

Consequently you are not the Christian I'm looking for to debate. I"ll be happy to converse with you as you continue to grow your personal moral philosophy. I don't see your brand of Christianity, as I understand it, as the problem, and enjoy your often irreverent posts.

I'm a hypocrite, bro.

I have no problem with my religion taking advantage of a situation, aka Jesus picture in a school.

In fact, by default, My God is better than the other "gods" because He is God.

It's simply the fact that folks get pretty cranky over stuff like this "freedom from Religion" business that I simply say to myself (and Him, because I assume He's aware of the situation), "Gee, I hope these folks get some help before they kick". Then I drop it because of that whole Constitution business, which I actually like a lot.

As for discarding immoral teachings, it may just be a matter of my overtly stupid simple methodology to the Bible, but I wouldn't call it discarding, as opposed to "accepting the historical lunacy of centuries of men exercising free will to interpret all sorts of complexity into something that is innately simple"

To the Scotsman business, anyone can call themselves a Scotsman.

In fact, when I get a couple clinks of single malt down me, my wife says I actually have developed an accent that many people believe I just walked down from the highlands with a cabor and a bag of haggis, even though I haven't a drop of scottish blood in me.

There's something about that phenomenon, I just haven't bothered to equate it to use.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE

I'm a hypocrite, bro.

I have no problem with my religion taking advantage of a situation, aka Jesus picture in a school.

In fact, by default, My God is better than the other "gods" because He is God.

It's simply the fact that folks get pretty cranky over stuff like this "freedom from Religion" business that I simply say to myself (and Him, because I assume He's aware of the situation), "Gee, I hope these folks get some help before they kick". Then I drop it because of that whole Constitution business, which I actually like a lot.

As for discarding immoral teachings, it may just be a matter of my overtly stupid simple methodology to the Bible, but I wouldn't call it discarding, as opposed to "accepting the historical lunacy of centuries of men exercising free will to interpret all sorts of complexity into something that is innately simple"

To the Scotsman business, anyone can call themselves a Scotsman.

In fact, when I get a couple clinks of single malt down me, my wife says I actually have developed an accent that many people believe I just walked down from the highlands with a cabor and a bag of haggis, even though I haven't a drop of scottish blood in me.

There's something about that phenomenon, I just haven't bothered to equate it to use.

RWE, to some degree we are all hypocrites. I try to minimize mine, but I'm sure my wife would tell you that I don't always succeed. Of course, if your are going to choose a faith based belief system, you are expected to choose the one that provides you the most comfort. Of course that says nothing about it's truth, but that's a separate subject.

When your faith and the Constitution collide, you choose to follow the Constitution, I respect that, and see it as a huge contrast to those who believe that only Christians should enjoy it's protection.

You recognize that some parts of the Bible are "Lunacy". Hey, that's progress, and it separates you from the literalists.

If you drink a couple of good IPA's do you begin to sound like and Englishman?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When your faith and the Constitution collide, you choose to follow the Constitution, I respect that, and see it as a huge contrast to those who believe that only Christians should enjoy it's protection.

You recognize that some parts of the Bible are "Lunacy". Hey, that's progress, and it separates you from the literalists.

If you drink a couple of good IPA's do you begin to sound like and Englishman?

I'm choosing not to fight fights I'm not compelled to fight.

For instance, gays have a right to civil unions.

However, I believe marriage (in a church) as a covenant of God, is between a man and a woman, and I will fight that fight.

Beyond that, any perceived animosity I have towards gays is because, under my Constitutional views, no one is entitled to preferential treatment and asking for any, ANY, special recognition because of gayness, or race, or whatever gets me pissed.

Now, I don't mind if Jesus followers can pull off a few favors in the world as Christians, because I am a hypocrite.

And I admit I don't consider it a religious fault. Maybe a constitutional one, but hey, whatever....

I prefer dark beers when it comes to hops flavored cool aid. I have taken German and Russian in years past, so with a nice Oktoberfest, or perhaps some Vodka, I can go really European for a while..

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Always know where to find ol' antelope sniper, the poster boy for fools worldwide.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yet he's bumping Christian threads all the time.

There's opportunity there, both ways.

Think about that.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Always know where to find ol' antelope sniper, the poster boy for fools worldwide.

Matthew 5:22: ... but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE

Think about that.

If you think you have some evidence that will convenience me of the existence of God, let's here it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Psalm 14King James Version (KJV)

14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Psalm 14King James Version (KJV)

14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Nice contradiction, isn't it?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Proverbs 26:3-12English Standard Version (ESV)

3 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey,
and a rod for the back of fools.
4 Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes.
6 Whoever sends a message by the hand of a fool
cuts off his own feet and drinks violence.
7 Like a lame man's legs, which hang useless,
is a proverb in the mouth of fools.
8 Like one who binds the stone in the sling
is one who gives honor to a fool.
9 Like a thorn that goes up into the hand of a drunkard
10 Like an archer who wounds everyone
is one who hires a passing fool or drunkard.[a]
11 Like a dog that returns to his vomit
is a fool who repeats his folly.
12 Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him.

Carry on antelope.....you're doing great, and prove my point with every post.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Proverbs 26:3-12English Standard Version (ESV)

3 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey,
and a rod for the back of fools.
4 Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes.
6 Whoever sends a message by the hand of a fool
cuts off his own feet and drinks violence.
7 Like a lame man's legs, which hang useless,
8 Like one who binds the stone in the sling
is one who gives honor to a fool.
9 Like a thorn that goes up into the hand of a drunkard
10 Like an archer who wounds everyone
is one who hires a passing fool or drunkard.[a]
11 Like a dog that returns to his vomit
is a fool who repeats his folly.
12 Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him.

Carry on antelope.....you're doing great, and prove my point with every post.

So according to Jesus, in the book of Matthew, the authors of Psalms and Proverbs are in danger of Hell fire.

Think about it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone unforgiven is in danger my friend. God will be the judge.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Anyone unforgiven is in danger my friend. God will be the judge.

Well, that presumes your God actually exists, for which I've seen no evidence. Furthermore, of the thousands of gods that have existed, and the thousands of variations of Christianity, you are also presuming you've chose the correct one. Remember, Catholics think all other Christians are going to hell, and many other Christians believe the same about Catholics.

So even if you believe, there are plenty of religious folks who think you are still destined for an eternal, infinite, punishment.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Think about that.

If you think you have some evidence that will convenience me of the existence of God, let's here it.

I'll let you know when I know what to tell you.

I don't at the moment, so I have no intention on trying to throw Scripture and anything else in your direction.

All I can ask is if you intended to use the words "convenience" and "here"..

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.