Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait a minute Rick......I don't see a couch anywhere in those pics. . . lol

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I actually have 3. I forgot!

I've used them for years on hunt after hunt, range session after range session, dialing them up and back with no failures.

I did send one back to Leupold once after I fell with an 80# pack full of venison and took a big chunk out of the objective lens.

I have a lot of confidence in the VX2

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
rcamuglia,

Didn't you have a lot of confidence in the two Leupolds right before they failed earlier this year? Safe to say I've had more than three 6-18x Leupolds.

There's a couple of interesting threads over on snipershide right now..... Crazy what happens when people actually start testing their scopes instead of just believing the hype. So far about 30-40% of Leupolds that have been tested are showing major issues straight out of the box.... Almost like there's an echo.....

lilysdad,

Long, thin tubes do no favors with zero retention and durability. The 6-18x's do not fend abuse well, and consequently tend to show issues more quickly than most.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am not disagreeing, and I have the same opinion...that being said, the majority of folks I know will shoot a box, maybe two, a year, and twisting turrets only applies when they boresight.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I am not disagreeing, and I have the same opinion...that being said, the majority of folks I know will shoot a box, maybe two, a year, and twisting turrets only applies when they boresight.

He fails to ever recognize that fact. Which is why, when you said this.....

Originally Posted by liliysdad
In defense of Formid--whatever, his criteria is a bit different than most. What fails in his environment may very well last another a lifetime. This does not make his opinion, based on experience, wrong. It does, however, offer a very real benchmark against which to compare ones own experience.

Much like the Mil Spec AR argument, different folks have different needs.

I had to agree with you 100%.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Indeed.

It's when more is asked of a scope that problems show up like herpes. The two box a year hunter would do well to look towards Leupold's fixed power scopes like the 6x. They work decently well in that regards.

Optic failures cause WAAAY more misses then all other gun problems combined and are a source of daily aggregation and lightbulb moments for most.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
JG,

With your vast experience shooting and scopes- how many rounds do you think on average a Leupold 6-18x will go before a "regular" hunter that dials it will have enough of a failure that it would likely be irresponsible to shoot at a deer at 400-500 yards?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have no clue, and you don't either.

What I do know though, is that since 1970, hunting the way I hunt, I've only had one scope lose zero, a Swaro.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/25/15.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Actually I do. Doing is better than guessing.

The last four I've used-

1) A bit over a thousand before consistent zero shifts.

2) Less than 20 rounds.

3) Less than 60 rounds.

4) Approximately 250.

Are the some that go a long time without issues? Of course. However that has little relevance to someone that has already had one fail or to someone looking to get one. The reality is that when taken in aggregate they fail at a relatively high rate with relatively low round counts.

That Swaro... It's also one that I might have said once or twice that had the exact problem you saw, huh?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I certainly didn't need you to tell me that about the Swaro. Many have said it here. Explain why no other Leupy Vari-X up through the VX6 has ever bobbled in my world, for 40+ years. If you had never twisted any of those 4 scopes, except to zero, they may still be fine and hold POI for the next 30 years. Who can say?

And someone who has had one fail, whatever the model, is of little relevance to someone who has never had one fail.

Fotis had a NF fail, therefore, everyone should beware I guess.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Deja Vu!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I certainly didn't need you to tell me that about the Swaro. Many have said it here. Explain why no other Leupy Vari-X up through the VX6 has ever bobbled in my world, for 40+ years. If you had never twisted any of those 4 scopes, except to zero, they may still be fine and hold POI for the next 30 years. Who can say?

And someone who has had one fail, whatever the model, is of little relevance to someone who has never had one fail.

Fotis had a NF fail, therefore, everyone should beware I guess.

Fotis did not have a Nightforce fail. Do you actually read or just make up things to fit what you want?

How many times do you figure that a turrets gets turned in 20 rounds?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Long, thin tubes do no favores with zero retention or durability and the Leupold 6-18x is a notorious failure.

Very few scopes are actually meant to be shot. Leupold variables aren't them.

LOL!

I've killed schitloads of animals, made my longest shot on a coyote (934), shot amazing groups, and used the exact scope in competition with results that most would envy.

I've got 2. One is on a 17HMR. This is what it does pretty regular like...

[Linked Image]

More from the "scope that should not be shot"....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dude...did you load blasting caps in those rife cases?? Nasty!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Almost paranormal that some people just never have a problem with L scopes and some people do, just down right spooky odd.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Fotis did not have a Nightforce fail. Do you actually read or just make up things to fit what you want?

How many times do you figure that a turrets gets turned in 20 rounds?

He didn't? Guess he made all this up.........3/30/15.. You yourself posted in this thread.

Originally Posted by Fotis
OK so I mounted my NIB NF 2.5x10x40mm Compact on my 378 Bee. A couple of shots later I get this.

What do you figure happen. Every shot they would jump around! Very disappointed.... frown

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Happens to all scopes, though that's the first I've seen a NF have it. There is grease inside to catch it. Smack it with a book and knock them loose.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As I went through the routines with both of my 6x18s, I saw somewhat of a pattern. They stayed spot on until about 250 or 300 rnds. Then I would dial for distance, generally between 400 and 500 yds (243) and shoot. It was the return to zero that began to be the issue. When I would check the zero, it would generally be 1 or 2 clicks high. On coyotes at distance that could be a deal breaker. As time went on I would start to get 1 or 2 clicks of horizontal movement, over a couple of weeks. Please understand that I used the rifle for work, and was calling with it 2-4 days a week, and it was in the truck every day. The folks at leupold said the erector spring got weak with that use and or abuse. I believe the newer leupolds have dual erector springs and that may help. I just don't think that the 6x18s were made to hold up to the daily grind I needed out of them. For the hunter shooting a box of shells per year they may work fine.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've [bleep] Reupie 6-18's for a looonnngggggggg while.

Mainly because they are USELESS pieces of schit,that only satiate THE most fhuqking STUPID Kchuntsumer(s).

Their "tracking" is a fhuqking joke,their subtention follows suit(schit reticles),POA/POI shifts like a dog taking a schit,the erector "travel" is embarassing and they are incapable of holding a zero.

Just for starters.

Hint.

(Addendum...for THE Clueless Kchunt)

'Lia,

Oh myyyyyyyyyyy that is compelling "testimony". Laffin'!

Kudos for really flogging on said glass. Laffin'! You godaaamanned nearly shifted "power" and almost fhuqking nearly,shook the reticle out. Laffin'!!

You really get after it!

Wow!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
I've [bleep] Reupie 6-18's for a looonnngggggggg while.

Mainly because they are USELESS pieces of schit,that only satiate THE most fhuqking STUPID Kchuntsumer(s).

Their "tracking" is a fhuqking joke,their subtention follows suit(schit reticles),POA/POI shifts like a dog taking a schit,the erector "travel" is embarassing and they are incapable of holding a zero.

Just for starters.

Hint.

What a phuging idiot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might even pay (at least for gas to get there) to see a shoot-off between Rick, Boxer and Formid. It would be especially interesting if at least one phase required 6-18 Leupolds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd pay for gas just to see those guys in the same room.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.