Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just curious of the physics behind this.
Floating ice, it seems to me, would displace water in proportion to it's own (total) volume. So how do we get an increased sea level?
The ice is less dense than liquid water, so part of the ice sticks above the water, but isn't the water volume of the ice the same as the water it displaces?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Melting ice in salt water decreases density, which increases volume.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ice on Greenland and Antarctica needs to melt to get substantial sea level rise.

Carpe' Scrotum
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Pretty much, its not the melting of sea ice that cause levels to rise, it is the melting of land ice that drains into the oceans that leads to sea level rising. It's like adding ice cubes to a glass of water. Both Greenland and Antarctica contain vast amounts land locked water.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Again, the OP asked about FLOATING ice. I'm not debating how much it would take to show any type of significant change.

Just that floating ice is fresh water, fresh water is less dense than salt water. When ice melts, you add more fresh water to the salt water, which decreases the density and increases the volume.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I know is that raising sea level about 30 feet will solve most of the country's problems.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But when fresh water in an iceberg is floating on sea water, it displaces just as much sea water as it will displace once it melts.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's true that ice is fresh water and when it melts it reduces the density of the ocean. However, considering the total volume of sea ice compared to the total volume of the oceans, if it all the sea ice melted, would it make any practical difference in the final volume and sea level?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many places that are reported as the ocean is rising when it actually the land is subsiding?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Melting ice in salt water decreases density, which increases volume.

Thank you.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In the beginning, God set the limits of the waters so they would not transgress their boundaries. Don't reckon that'll change until He decides different.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have God explain that to New Orleans, willya? And then to the Thai folks after the tsunami. And the Japanese after theirs. And...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by arkypete
How many places that are reported as the ocean is rising when it actually the land is subsiding?

Jim

That's one of the reasons why sea level is notoriously hard to measure.

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^ Rocky, the answer is simple .. phrased in Reloader28's vernacular, it appears that He has decided different. Apparently he didn't seek Reloader28's approval first. smile

It makes me laugh when people invoke God's omnipotence when it furthers their position in a debate, then turn around and act as if he needs their permission if that'd further their position. Hypocrites.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Have God explain that to New Orleans, willya? And then to the Thai folks after the tsunami. And the Japanese after theirs. And...

it's not God's fault that the idiots keep building New Orleans below sea level. Not God's fault that folks tend to build at the water's edge either.

Sam......

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's always been a puzzle to me that there's not more holes in the ocean bed that allow more of the water to seep down and turn to steam down closer to the Earth's core. but I guess the ground is mostly impervious.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I wish hunting seasons would hurry up and get here.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
New Orleans is built below sea level. If you're stupid enough to do that, expect a good flood every so often.
Tsunamis are the result of undersea earthquakes. We're prone to quakes everywhere on earth. If you fear quakes on land, don't live near faults. If you fear quakes under water, don't live near the coast. They're not related to rising seas. If you drive down the Oregon coast, there are hundreds of houses and whole towns built on cliffs above the water. Even a gentle quake will put them all below sea level.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My question is related to Reloder's claim that waters cannot rise unless God wills it. Therefore, if the waters rise it must be God's fault. And if that is true, then kindly tell NASA that burning fossil fuels has nothing to do with it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The issue is not the floating ice as it is already part of the total volume. The increase in sea levels will come from the glaciers that are on the land and when then calve or melt become part of the total volume of whatever sea they dump/drain into. 8th grade physical/Earth Science class, i remember it well.

Too many climate deniers fail to see there is a difference between ice that has already calved the ice that is still terrestrial.

Quiz on friday!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.