Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, I can't believe it!

I was on a writing trip and had a nice visit with the gentlemanly and famous Shrapnel, who showered me with sporting wisdom and hookandbulleteer insight.

Then came the real grunt work of my trip for a couple of days, that had me passing through Ennis, temple site of the Shedhorn Sports Shrine.

Closing time: 6:00PM MDT.
Arrival time: 5:59PM MDT.
I swept my eyes around wildly at all the Second Amendment iron and then on my way out the door, peeked in a corner. A black plastic object with a handle and a label sat on the floor, hiding behind what I THINK was a Barrett 50 cal somethingorother.

Who cares?

I found EIGHT POUNDS of H-322, which I haven't SEEN since Obamapanic One. I rotated 180 degrees in midair, levitated around the furniture between me and my prize....

At 6:01 PM, I was outta there. Wallet felt eight pounds lighter, but it all balanced out. Now I can get at least one of my pet rifles out of mothballs.

So, I guess my tour of the Shedhorn extravaganza that everyone talks about is gonna have to wait until the next trip.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, that is a nice find!

Earlier this spring I lucked into an 8lb keg of H4831sc, next logical purchase was another 270.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
6mmRem douglas barrel 1903 Turk 65 gr vmax 2.9" 39 gr Bulk 4895 3500 fps

I was shooting 1960s pull down military bulk 4895 today.
It may have the 4895 grain size and shape, but the speed and density are a perfect match for the H322 parameters in the Quickload library. The predicted velocities are in the middle of the string the chono measures.
I got the 8 pound jugs ~ 12 years ago from High Power.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dave My friend...

Don't want to lessen your joy any...

but will let you in on a little secret...

I am sitting on three 8 pound jugs of H322.. plus three or 4 one pound containers...

Got those one pounders locally off of store shelves...

But as for those 8 Pounders....

There is this place called the internet...

and on this place called the Internet.. there is this other place called Powder Valley.. and this place called Powder Valley set me up with 24 pounds of H 322 recently, along with another 24 pounds for a friend....

If you live in Nowhere Montana, and it is like where I live in Nowhere Oregon... this internet place and this Powder Valley Place are really cool....

But they are not perfect....this legendary Blue Dot Powder, hasn't seen Powder Valley shelves for a long time...

just thought I'd pass it along.. and the cool thing is they are open 24 hours on this Internet Place... so ya don't have to worry about getting there 2 minutes before closing time...that's a real plus also... grin

best regards!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh, and Dave, a quick question...

Is this legendary Shrapnel Guy, the Lone Ranger without his Mask on ? That is the rumors I've heard floating over this direction...

at least from Travis...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seafire,
I think I gave you an 8 pound jug of bulk 4895 that works just like H322, 10 years ago.

I'll bet you have not used any of it.
You are using the canister H322.

James Calhoon in MT has a tractor trailer filled with 100 pound containers of bulk powder.
[Linked Image]

I got the Blue Dot rifle reloading idea from you 11 years ago. I think you got it from James' web site.

I am still grateful. Thousands of rodents have died.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Seafire, it is that one.

Turns out "our" legend is familiar with another not-so-nice legend and I needed his help as a source to explain to readers the funny business going on. We had a nice porch sit, downloaded some pictures, and I got a fascinating but too short "showantell."

Azz 4 da Innanets, you may deem me analog retentive. I can do it, but prefer to shop in the flesh, basically.

Now, all I need is to spy a jug each of H-4895, H-4198, and maybe some TAC, which has really impressed me with the little I've used. Kind of like 335 without the temperature tantrums, if I find a jug it might substitute over the long run for 4895 in my regime.

Still have about half my jug of Bloo Dotz. So read and weep.

It was nice to actually not look in vain for a change, let me tell yah.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Any visit with the shrap is a good visit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If'n you bought it at Shedhorn's likely you didn't exactly get a smokin' deal............

MM

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Yes, Seafire, it is that one.

Turns out "our" legend is familiar with another not-so-nice legend and I needed his help as a source to explain to readers the funny business going on. We had a nice porch sit, downloaded some pictures, and I got a fascinating but too short "showantell."

Azz 4 da Innanets, you may deem me analog retentive. I can do it, but prefer to shop in the flesh, basically.

Now, all I need is to spy a jug each of H-4895, H-4198, and maybe some TAC, which has really impressed me with the little I've used. Kind of like 335 without the temperature tantrums, if I find a jug it might substitute over the long run for 4895 in my regime.

Still have about half my jug of Bloo Dotz. So read and weep.

It was nice to actually not look in vain for a change, let me tell yah.

My Blue Dot supply is getting sparse.. I think it is down to 13 to 15 pounds now....Luckily my supply of SR 4759 is greater, just to fill the gap... grin

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Seafire,
I think I gave you an 8 pound jug of bulk 4895 that works just like H322, 10 years ago.

I'll bet you have not used any of it.
You are using the canister H322.

James Calhoon in MT has a tractor trailer filled with 100 pound containers of bulk powder.
[Linked Image]

I got the Blue Dot rifle reloading idea from you 11 years ago. I think you got it from James' web site.

I am still grateful. Thousands of rodents have died.

You're welcome Clark...

And thanks again for the IMR 4895... the jug is getting a little light now...maybe down to 3 pounds, give or take... in fact just last night it supplied powder for load about TEN 243 rounds, with 85 grain Sierra HPs...checking accuracy on an ADL...new scope on top... Bushnell AR 223 scope...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, I missed the "sale" weekend and the price was painful. My last jug of 322 cost half that.
The experience was nearly as bad as it would be for trying to buy 22 rimfire of any kind. My wallet definitely felt lighter, painfully so. Price came to 27.50 per pound, which is about, or a little less, what one pounders of rifle powder are selling for in Kalispell IF you can find even THAT.

Sorry state of affairs when it takes a 1200 mile road trip to spot something you want....and it was the first buyable jug of powder I've seen in over four years.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

We never did make it to the storage bunker. Good thing, I am down to my last 16 pounds of H-322...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
.222 mag. powder???

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
.222 mag. powder???

Nope, 222 mag powder is H-335, I need more like 40 pounds of that. 322 is for the 6 mm PPC...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is for the BR.

And I'm glad we didn't make it that far -- I would have DIED of jealousy. Pictures is torture enough.

Good trip, thanks for your wisdom, Shrap, this will be a good story when it's all said and done.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If'n you bought it at Shedhorn's likely you didn't exactly get a smokin' deal............

MM

Or any deal at all. They just screwed up the 2nd firearm special order for me this year. Said they had the gun coming, never heard back from them, called them up and they gave me the run around. Turns out the gun is not on its way, they have no idea what happened, asked me if my credit card showed that they had/had not run through the deposit. I finally gave up and told them to forget the whole thing. Another Shedhorn cluster #uck.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So Dave, can Shrapnel really walk on water?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
So Dave, can Shrapnel really walk on water?

Nah,
But there's a rumor that he can swim thru dirt.... whistle

I heard he started the rumor.... wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Ig,
THIS year, a lot of Montanans CAN walk on water. I was amazed at some of the streamflows I saw. The Big Hole was impressively slack. Didn't see anyone fishing, and if I had, I probably would have stopped to yell at them.
So nice to see clouds today. And smell "wet."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 12 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,656
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.