24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I dont wanna cause any problems about smokeless vs black powder at all!!!! I just wanted to mention my brother is building smokeless muzzle loaders and I hate to brag on him, and i dont have to. The targets speak for themselves and the ease of use and cleaning which rival any rifle. Currently from his 45cal we can ballistically compare to 338 Lapua. Sighted in at 200yds its only almost 12" low at 300yds. He guarantees his accuracy when topped with Leupold and in HS stock Im sorry i cant remember what he said but i wanted to say it was MOA to 400yds... If anyone is curious leave me a msg and Ill do my best to answer any question (just have to give me a lil time) Thank you for you input and time!!

he does not currently have website but can answer questions by phone(Ill try to find out best time that week to call or set up phone appts)

Chancy Custom Rifles Inc.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huh???

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So a .45 smokeless ml compares ballistically to a .338 Lapua?????

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A 45cal smokeless can get a 275gr bullet moving over 2700fps with ease but its no 338 centerfire in terms of drop. Even with a 270gr EMAX or 327gr Match Hunter it wont shoot as flat.

They are still plenty good for 500 yards or more though. Several of the custom builds are pushing that EMAX at 3000fps and a 300gr over 2800fps. If you really want a power house build a 416. They will equal a 416 centerfire with little problem.

http://www.swinglock.net/page1.html
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I usually hunt alone these days, a crew-served artillery piece like that is of little use to me. Ought to be a hoot at the range though.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
He sells one in 45 that only weighs about 8.5lbs too
http://www.swinglock.net/45lightthumb.html

And a 7.75lb 416. Thats gunna leave a mark.
http://www.swinglock.net/416SLTover.html
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have seen those Swinglock muzzleloader a and really wanted one. Does your brother make the 6.5mm?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Overkill45
He sells one in 45 that only weighs about 8.5lbs too
http://www.swinglock.net/45lightthumb.html

And a 7.75lb 416. Thats gunna leave a mark.
http://www.swinglock.net/416SLTover.html
[Linked Image]

That is beautiful, would loved to have one like that. Mine is more utilitarin. The savage MZ11. With a 250 grain Barnes TMZ and a healthy dose of IMR 4198, 3-400 yds is no problem, and it seems to be very consistent year after year.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by germanshep
Currently from his 45cal we can ballistically compare to 338 Lapua.

Not even close. I have been shooting these things for a few years now. I even got a Class 6 FFL so that I can make and sell VLD bullets for them. Even the .416 SML rifles aren't rivaling the .338 Lapua.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the word he wanted was comparable. You can compare a thrown rock to the .338; it just doesn't come off very well.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where is the Muzzle loading with these guns. Their nice looking an all but where is the old ways an the fuss over these things Even the Knight is over doing it by a little

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by savage62
Where is the Muzzle loading with these guns. Their nice looking an all but where is the old ways an the fuss over these things Even the Knight is over doing it by a little

The muzzle-loading comes from the part where they are still loaded from the muzzle: pour powder, insert wad (or not), insert bullet, seat bullet. They are for guys who live in places where you can't shoot a rifle but you can shoot an ML rifle whether it makes sense or not. They just want to hunt and have as much advantage as they can (especially since a lot of those states grow bruiser deer). If they wanted to enjoy traditional muzzle-loading they would buy sidelocks and hunt in PA or travel west where open ignition is required.

I used to be pretty judgmental about this type of thing because I hate crossbows. I think crossbows are bullschit unless you have a physical handicap. I think they are the lazy answer to archery the same way trad ML guys think the SML is. I shoot a longbow because I enjoy it but I can't force everyone to do that nor should I try.

At this point in my life my answer is that if it is legal and ethical then let it be because solidarity is important for hunters/shooters in this day and age.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's all about how you use it. My Knight, the way I load it and where I hunt with it, has no ballistic or range advantage over the sidelock it replaced, except for the sights. I went to optical sights because my eyes don't do very well with irons these days and I have an obligation to the game to use something that lets me shoot accurately. My old Greyhawk was just as reliable and actually faster to load than the inline.

There is a lot of interest in so-called long range muzzleloading these days, both with inlines and fast-twist traditional rifles using reproduction optics. With the exception of some of the high-tech smokeless guns, you're still dealing with at best, .45/70 ballistics which limits your effective range to two or three hundred yards due to low energies and high trajectories. I have no interest in trying to use my ML like a .270 and generally the terrain I hunt doesn't offer these kind of shots. Others feel differently, and as long as they operate within their personal skill limits, it's not my concern how they choose to hunt. I'm sure I would enjoy stretching out my rifle on long-range targets, but my personal code precludes such shots at game.

I think it's a fine thing that we have so many choices and am content to let the Game Commission make decisions on what to allow based on sound conservation principles, not the quirky opinions of armchair philosophers.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.