Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
My boat came with a Minn-Kota Powerdrive V2 55lb thrust electric trolling motor mounted on the bow. All of the battery hook-ups are in place, but it didn't come with a separate battery for the Minn-Kota. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a second battery to get it operational, but am also wondering if there is any point in an electric trolling motor for fishing the rivers for salmon and crabbing the bays here along the Oregon Coast?

Right now the thing is a paperweight and I've been tempted to just remove it and get it out of the way. Any of you have experience with electric trolling motors? How well would it maneuver a 16' aluminum V hull boat? Any idea the battery life during a typical days use?

The main motor is a 25 hp four-stroke with a trolling plate attached, which seems to troll down just fine.

Keep in mind, this is the first boat I've ever owned and the fishing here is all pretty new to me too. Thanks in advance.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thats a pretty expensive trolling motor. I'd sell it and mount a 9.9 next to your 25 and remove the trolling plate.

That little v hull will be easy to stear trolling.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Well first, congratulations on buying what appears to be a
very nice boat. It also appears to be rigged very well.
As for the trolling motor it would be special use type
of equiptment. But for that type of use they are a very
important item. Bass fishing on inland lakes is but one
example. If you ever find yourself taking a trip somewhere
you might wish you still had the trolling motor. Id at
this point just remove it and set it aside. Minn kota
also offers a quick disconnect plate which is attached to the boat allowing for easy on/off with the bow mounted trolling motor.
I have one on one of my boats. Simply pull a pin and remove the entire motor leaving just the mounting plate.
Otherwise id be using the boat (as is) untill you have
enough time using it to determine your own prefferences.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It generally isn't a good idea to run a trolling motor off the battery that starts your big engine, in the event you go to far and can't start the big motor. Your 25 should start easily. Like the previous poster suggested, try it for awhile before you decide. I have aMinnkota terrova with the handheld remote. Plan to troll for salmon using the big motor, but will leave the electric motor down. It has a feature that will take you in the same direction, which will be useful when short handed and setting lines or fighting fish.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by forpest
It generally isn't a good idea to run a trolling motor off the battery that starts your big engine, in the event you go to far and can't start the big motor.

Hence the reason I haven't used the Minn-Kota and would buy a second battery before ever doing so.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing that you would likely get more use out of a bow mount anchor system than the electric motor. It also doesn't look to be the salt water version, not sure if that makes a huge difference on motor life or not.

I have an electric on my boat that I use for walleye and pike and I hardly use it. Gets in the way when tarping the boat too.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Like some of the other posters said don't get rid of it until you determine whether you'll have a use for it or not. If you decide to keep it get a trolling motor battery.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,686
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.