Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
In the past I have used Micro-bed and Brownell's Acraglass to bed actions and barrel channels. I am looking for a product that will allow me to mix small batches,(a couple of tablespoons) without using up the entire package. The last Acraglass product I used was packaged so the entire contents had to be mixed. Any ideas on a product that allows small quantities to be mixed?

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Devcon

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You can get Acraglass Gel in 2 oz containers, mix as much or as little as you want.

Devcon is often mentioned, but costs more than Brownells.

Acraglass Gel works OK for me.

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Marine Tex gray is my favorite.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd like to hear pros/cons of Marine Tex, Devcon, Acraglass Gel and others.

DF

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Brian how do you get Marine Tex thinner? It tends to not flow well for me and can stress bedding trying to get action set to the right level in stock. Heat it to thin it?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've never thinned it Kurt. I know that it will still cure with a large variation in mix ratio, I misread the directions and was off by 20% the first couple times I used it and it still hardened like steel. Not sure it's recommended but maybe you could add more of the catalyst to get a thinner consistency. I don't know that heating it will thin it but I do know that it will cure fast if you leave it under heat, I use a drying cabinet with a heat lamp bulb to speed drying time.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Unless it's a heavy recoiling rifle (and even then it'll probably be ok), any quality epoxy thickened with suitable filler will do the job. I bedded my last few builds with hardware store epoxy thickened with colloidal silica (the floc that Brownells provides with their kits, but I have a big sack of it left over from my yacht carpentry days) and they are just peachy. Sometimes we overthink a very simple low-tech problem.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
JB Weld has worked well for me in the past. Comes in tubes so you can mix as much as you like. Use a lamp to warm it up if you need it to run into smaller gaps. Won't affect cure time. I'd be willing to bet putting it in the fridge for ten minutes would make it stiffer so its less likely to slump, but I haven't tried that yet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I use Brownell's Steel Bed around the lug on big kickers. Then I finish the bedding with Acraglass Gel.

It works well and I haven't tried those other products. That's why I was asking about them, not wanting to miss out on a superior product, if indeed they are superior.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used JB Weld and Devcon Steel. I like the Devcon a bit better, as it is thicker and doesn't flow as much. A few seconds with a hair drier can thin it out a bit if a person needs a little more flow.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go easy with the heat when dealing with epoxies. We had more than one epoxy rep decry the use of heat at shop meetings. (We used epoxy by the 50 gallon drum.) The only glue joint failures I endured were some that I applied heat to in order to speed things along or alter flow characteristics. Heat (as well as dilution with solvent) can do unexpected things to epoxy- embrittlement being the big one. Best to let it do its thing in its own sweet time. If you don't have the time for that, wait until you do.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/01/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good to know. Thanks for sharing....

Now with even more aplomb
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Stocky stocks sells their own version of epoxy bedding gel( similar to Acra-Glas gel). I've used it on several rifles over the past couple years and have found it to be just as good as Acra-Glas. they sell bedding kits with the stuff or bulk containers with just the epoxy gel. Mixes in a 1 to 1 ratio just like Acra-Glas gel(I'll mix a teaspoon of resin and a teaspoon of hardener for small jobs and it works perfectly). $28 will get you 16oz of the stuff(A whole lot cheaper than Acra-Glas). Shelf life seems to be good(long).

Leftybolt

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
JB quick weld is what I use most of the time. I like to apply it in small batches. As it takes maybe 30 minutes to harden enough for me to remove the barreled action from stock and then apply some more of it to where I need it. Mind you, the quick weld is inferior to the regular JB Weld when it comes to strength, but because it hardens much quicker, less problems with sagging/running and etc. LOL, besides, what I use for a release agent (Imperial sizing wax) is very effective with the quick weld version, but is problematic with the regular quick weld.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Devcon 10110 and JB weld Industro...The devcon is stronger, but the JB works great in a pinch. Speaking of that, I need to get more Devcon!!! I'm also a JB quick user when I need to fill a barrel channel in quickly. It beats waiting 24 hours for something to cure and works great in a low impact area like the barrel channel. I've tried Brownells steel bed and it is harder than the hubs of hell and I see why Dirtfarmer prefers it in the recoil lugs of the "heavy kickers". It's a lot more expensive than Devcon 10110, so I haven't used the steel bed from Brownells in a long time..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
BSA- where do you buy the Devcon? I can find it online but never see it in local establishments. BB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've bought mine off of ebay, midway and amazon once I believe. Just wherever I can get the best deal on the stuff.... I just checked and Amazon has it for $33.89 with free shipping. That's a damn good deal and you probably won't find it cheaper anywhere else. I'm pretty sure I bought it there last time, after paying $45.00 and $50.00 for it at Midway and ebay...

Devcon 10110

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for that! Looks like I was not alone not seeing it locally.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JB weld is all I use anymore

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,295
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.