Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Guys Im trying to help an elderly lady get rid of her late husbands guns, he was tight but not a skin flint, he put deer in freezer every year, usually 2 shots and 2 deer, his last was a post 64 Ranger in .243 win.
My first question being ,what year was his ranger, SN ,G2121145 born?
He had very nice shotguns and .22's, some handed down from his family, I think the Ranger 70 was bought when a GoodYear tire store went out of biz an was on sale, I see where these could be had in youth models as well but I know they had no boy children.It looks like they were made starting in 1985?
I will look at them all and be better able to describe. for now DOB is fine, I see a 90+% Ranger in thirty ought six is bringing about 390.
Thanks in advance, Im not going to make a dime on any but will pay her well for a model 42 if its in any kind of shape! the very best WinPoor

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck on the DOB with the ranger. They didn't keep good records of the pushfeed model 70's. Honestly though, the ranger was a real cheap rifle with plastic follower, birch stock and push feed action. You don't get much when buying one. I'd price it well below a newer RAR made today, if that gives you an idea on price. Have I owned one, yes. I bought one (NIB) in 1998 for $175.00..... It was a pile, to put it nicely. I know some guys like them and have had good success with them, but the one I had did not every function properly and the plastic follower was a joke.. Good luck with helping her discard her late husbands firearms...

Winpoor, my best suggestion is to list it on GB and let those idiots fight over it. Bidding wars are prevalent over there and you'll get good money for the rifle if it is in real good condition. Do I condone it? No, but it is what it is... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was made after 1992. Anything after 1992 gets real hard cause winchester never published sn info after 92.

Last edited by 79S; 08/30/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1992/93 is correct

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For some reason a push feed 70 no one wants...they will jump all over a 700 and turn there nose up at a better rifle. They won't bring much more the 350 or so...

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Push feed 70's are damn good rifles, I'd take one over a 700 any day. However, the Ranger I had was a POS... They just cheapened it too much for my likings...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, I looked at it yesterday, first one I ever had in hand, I guess Winchester wanted to go as cheap as possible to put them in anyone's hands, I understand everybody cannot have and hunt a pre 64 fwt .270. BUT they sure did not help the model 70 nor Winchester name with these! This ole guy sure nailed several whitetails with his! its a .243, in reality us loons chase the 5 in one ragged hole, I know I do but a 1.5" gun will get the job done, I did not want to hurt the womans feelings but I did not want to offer 150 for it! very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some guys just hunt the chit out of them and consider them "tools". To some that may be, use them and not maintain them, kind of like a claw hammer. Hell, I even have mine hanging up on my wall and wipe them off every once in a while. wink. Others don't and could care less how rusty or cruddy they get...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Yep, I looked at it yesterday, first one I ever had in hand, I guess Winchester wanted to go as cheap as possible to put them in anyone's hands, I understand everybody cannot have and hunt a pre 64 fwt .270. BUT they sure did not help the model 70 nor Winchester name with these! This ole guy sure nailed several whitetails with his! its a .243, in reality us loons chase the 5 in one ragged hole, I know I do but a 1.5" gun will get the job done, I did not want to hurt the womans feelings but I did not want to offer 150 for it! very best winpoor

Far as I know, if you put a Featherweight stock on it, you've got the exact same gun as a featherweight of the time. Now I know some early Rangers had no bottom metal, but that serial number should.

Last edited by winchester70; 09/03/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (270cowboy, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 40 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.