Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.livescience.com/52032-saiga-die-off-mystery.html

[Linked Image]
In May 2015, nearly half of all the saigas, a critically endangered antelope that roams the steppe of Kazakhstan, died off. Exactly why is still a mystery.
Credit: Albert Salemgareyev

by Tia Ghose, Senior Writer | September 02, 2015 07:51am ET

It started in late May.

When geoecologist Steffen Zuther and his colleagues arrived in central Kazakhstan to monitor the calving of one herd of saigas, a critically endangered, steppe-dwelling antelope, veterinarians in the area had already reported dead animals on the ground.

"But since there happened to be die-offs of limited extent during the last years, at first we were not really alarmed," Zuther, the international coordinator of the Altyn Dala Conservation Initiative, told Live Science.

But within four days, the entire herd — 60,000 saiga — had died. As veterinarians and conservationists tried to stem the die-off, they also got word of similar population crashes in other herds across Kazakhstan. By early June, the mass dying was over. [See Images of the Saiga Mass Die-Off]

http://www.livescience.com/52053-photos-saiga-die-off.html

Now, the researchers have found clues as to how more than half of the country's herd, counted at 257,000 as of 2014, died so rapidly. Bacteria clearly played a role in the saigas' demise. But exactly how these normally harmless microbes could take such a toll is still a mystery, Zuther said.

"The extent of this die-off, and the speed it had, by spreading throughout the whole calving herd and killing all the animals, this has not been observed for any other species," Zuther said. "It's really unheard of."

Crucial steppe players

Saigas play a critical role in the ecosystem of the arid grassland steppe, where the cold winters prevent fallen plant material from decomposing; the grazing of the dog-size, Gonzo-nosed antelopes helps to break down that organic matter, recycling nutrients in the ecosystem and preventing wildfires fueled by too much leaf litter on the ground. The animals also provide tasty meals for the predators of the steppe, Zuther said. [Images: Ancient Beasts of the Arctic]

"Where you find saiga, we recognize also that the other species are much more abundant," Zuther told Live Science.

Saigas, which are listed as critically endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, live in a few herds in Kazakhstan, one small herd in Russia and a herd in Mongolia. The herds congregate with other herds during the cold winters, as well as when they migrate to other parts of Kazakhstan, during the fall and spring. The herds split up to calve their young during the late spring and early summer. The die-off started during the calving period.

Die-offs of saigas, including one that felled 12,000 of the stately creatures last year, have occurred frequently in recent years. But the large expanse of the country affected by last year's die-off meant veterinarians couldn't get to the animals until long after their deaths. The delay hindered any determination of a cause of death, and researchers eventually speculated that an abundance of greenery caused digestion problems, which led to bacterial overgrowth in the animals' guts.

Detailed analysis

This time, field workers were already on the ground, so they were able to take detailed samples of the saigas' environment — the rocks the animals walked on and the soil they crossed — as well as the water the animals drank and the vegetation they ate in the months and weeks leading up to the die-off. The scientists also took samples of the ticks and other insects that feed on saiga, hoping to find some triggering cause.

The researchers additionally conducted high-quality necropsies of the animals, and even observed the behavior of some of the animals as they died. The females, which cluster together to calve their young, were hit the hardest. They died first, followed by their calves, which were still too young to eat any vegetation. That sequence suggested that whatever was killing off the animals was being transmitted through the mothers' milk, Zuther said.

Tissue samples revealed that toxins, produced by Pasteurella and possibly Clostridia bacteria, caused extensive bleeding in most of the animals' organs. But Pasteurella is found normally in the bodies of ruminants like the saigas, and it usually doesn't cause harm unless the animals have weakened immune systems.

Genetic analysis so far has only deepened the mystery, as the bacteria found were the garden-variety, disease-causing type.

"There is nothing so special about it. The question is why it developed so rapidly and spread to all the animals," Zuther said.

Mystery endures

A similar mass die-off of 400,000 saigas occurred in 1988, and veterinarians reported similar symptoms. But because that die-off occurred during Soviet times, researchers simply listed Pasteurellosis, the disease caused by Pasteurella, as the cause and performed no other investigation, Zuther added.

So far, the only possible environmental cause was that there was a cold, hard winter followed by a wet spring, with lots of lush vegetation and standing water on the ground that could enable bacteria to spread more easily, Zuther said. That by itself doesn't seem so unusual, though, he said.

Another possibility is that such flash crashes are inevitable responses to some natural variations in the environment, he said. Zuther said he and his colleagues plan to continue their search for a cause of the die-off.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hate to see that happen especially with an endangered specie but it happens and we have no control over it. It would be I guess equivalent to an outbreak of deer getting Blue Tongue or some other disease that decimates the herd.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
250'000 plus constitutes critically endangered?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Maybe they declared it a reservation five days ago?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
About 20 miles north of here, 160+ elk died in an area ~ 1/2 mile wide by 1 mile long. Traced to a "blue algae" toxin, IIRC. All it takes is a bit of wave action to keep it from happening, but we had been super calm for a while.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they're going to have to knock the number of tags way down in bumfukastan.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Global warming!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EHD?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever it is, pour some out in DC Detroit Chicago Omaha KC San Fran and etc.

There's no endangered species in these areas to be concerned about...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro
250'000 plus constitutes critically endangered?

Dying at this rate...YES

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wow--that's a shame. Think of all the fun we could have had.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd be a coyote huntin' som b right there

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
aliens

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I say get some emergency food drops going for ISIS.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I heard from a guard who works in the "shower room" at one of the FEMA camps that TRH told him the deaths were caused by Jade Helm.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
global warming

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I heard from a guard who works in the "shower room" at one of the FEMA camps that TRH told him the deaths were caused by Jade Helm.

Hey, wait a minute. Wasn't that your week to keep an eye on Steelhead? You know how he gets when he has a new rifle. Sounds like blame shifting to me.

Last edited by JoeMama; 09/03/15.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Endangered because they're fragile

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JoeMama
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Hey, wait a minute. Wasn't that your week to keep an eye on Steelhead? You know how he gets when he has a new rifle. Sounds like blame shifting to me.

Whoops!

I got my dates mixed up.

I think it is the secret society of international bankers and the Masons that messed with my calendar. At least that is what TR Hawkeye told me.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.