Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd venture that bedding issues have more to do with point of impact changes across time and conditions than brand of scope. I have a Tasco on one of my ground squirrel rifles that stays dead on for thousands of rounds as long as one does not change the power setting.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best quality mounts; a rifle that doesn't kick much helps; don't drop your rifle!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have a Tasco on one of my ground squirrel rifles that stays dead on for thousands of rounds as long as one does not change the power setting.

Sounds like a real prize alright.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
A scope maintaining zero on a rifle that is coddled and caressed like a new born baby like the vast majority of people do, isn't much of a testament to the optic.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Who cares what a scope does when the most "use" it gets is going from a padded safe, straight into a padded case, into a padded truck, laid on a padded blanket, covered up the moment it rains, god forbid it gets a scratch, and then back to the padded case, padded truck, padded safe. That ain't "use", nor close.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had an old Weaver K-2.5 on my 35Whelen for about 30 years. The rifle has been carried for hundreds of miles in all sorts of weather and rugged condition' On one trip I spent a lot of time crawling through slide alder and branches would occasionally get stuck between the scope and barrel. After a while, I just started jerking on the rifle to break the branches (I was getting tired and out-of-sorts). This rifle has never been off by more than an inch or so. This year, I decided to replace the old scope with a new Leupold 4x to take advantage of superior optics and eliminate the rusting which plagued the old Weaver. Scope is clearer but the jury is still out as regards durability. The 2.5 is now on a Mauser 30/06. I like those straight-tube scopes. Light, tough, durable and compact, they stand up well to the abuse they may receive on a working-class rifle. GD

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cath8r
Thanks guys. My main rifle I'd like to mount something like this on is a custom .22-250. Shv 4-14 might be the perfect powe range

Anything made by Nightforce is going to be durable. Any scope can break but Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender are probably the toughest two out there. As someone else mentioned, you might not like the price and weight but they are tough. It's been a long time theory that light scopes were tougher because the components aren't as heavy and thus affected by recoil as much. That's total BS but makes a good internet rumor. The toughest scopes made are all pretty heavy.

Leupold has long had a niche because they are in the "not crazy expensive" category like NF and S&B but still gave decent performance. They are not in the same league though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me add that crosshairs etched into the glass is a big help.
I also want a scope that uses hardened tool steel for the adjustment clicks.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Poor bases and rings are one cause for a good scope to act bad

Good bases and rings installed incorrectly is another

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd venture that bedding issues have more to do with point of impact changes across time and conditions than brand of scope. I have a Tasco on one of my ground squirrel rifles that stays dead on for thousands of rounds as long as one does not change the power setting.

Originally Posted by tedthorn
Poor bases and rings are one cause for a good scope to act bad

Good bases and rings installed incorrectly is another

I couldn't disagree with either of these posts. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the cause or part of the cause with LAW rifle talked about in the rifle section of the Campfire. Bedding, nicked up crowns and improperly installed mounts are usual suspects when rifles start acting up.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I had one of those. Point of impact moved 6 inches between 3 and 9 power. I didn't sell it, just threw it in the trash.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If a handloader, you will , 9 times out of 10, need to make scope adjustments when a different lot of the same powder is used for the same "formula" of bullet/powder combination. The same applies to any other changes, such as primer, to "the formula". We all know that, don't we?

That being added to "stuff" moving from where it was 6 years ago... whatever the causes.

Regarding scopes: price alone will not guarantee "toughness" or perfection. To me, service is very high on the list. High end Euro scopes means a VERY long wait unless the dealer will make an exchange on the spot. Personally, Bushnell means a relatively short drive for repairs or exchange within a week. The cost is time and gas. I mostly shoot heavy recoiling rifles. And I mean HEAVY!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by doubletap

I had one of those. Point of impact moved 6 inches between 3 and 9 power. I didn't sell it, just threw it in the trash.

DT: That's funny! I don't blame you!

I've had more expensive variables that did that. Got them replaced by the factory and sold them without opening the box.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I once tested a very expensive 5-15x variable made by one of the famous foreign companies. When on 15x it had over a foot of parallax at 400 yards--and it didn't have any parallax adjustment of any kind. It did not fall apart but....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know the scope you're talking about.

I'm not a fan of the non parallax adjustable 4.5-14 Leupolds either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I once tested a very expensive 5-15x variable made by one of the famous foreign companies. When on 15x it had over a foot of parallax at 400 yards--and it didn't have any parallax adjustment of any kind. It did not fall apart but....

John: Sounds like it came out the box "fell apart". smile

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Eleven years ago a 3/4" change of impact at exactly the wrong time cost me a win at the Super Shoot... for me a once-in-a-lifetime happenstance. I was using America's most popular competition scope. I'll never forgive them for that...

In the last couple of years some of the best benchrest competitors have been using Valdada scopes. Recently I've been told by one of the best competitors (He's also a bullet maker) that he and his partner will use nothing else. They have a trench range in which to test scopes. He also told me he had sixty-eight benchrest scopes for sale.

I sold my last bench gun to a friend a couple of months ago who bought the recently introduced Valdada benchrest model. I've shot the gun with the Valdada scope on it a couple of times and my impression is that it's the best bench scope I've ever shot. I also have a Valdada tactical scope here that has a Sig rifle coming for it. I'm looking forward to using it. These scopes seem to be extremely well put together.

Engineering and quality of manufacture is everything if you want absolutely dependable scopes. You don't use plastic parts when hardened steel is better...

Dick Wright

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dick: That's interesting.

Do you know anything about their fixed power hunting scopes? I notice they make both a 4X and a 6X.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Bob,

No, I don't. But given my experience so far, when I need one I will definitely check them out very carefully.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Dick. I may buy a 6X and give it a go.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.