Print Thread
Hop To
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've finally got the money to do a premium hunt but I'm older now so it can't be too strenuous. The one outfitter I've looked at is Jim Shockey's Rogue River. Has anyone used them and what did you think? If you don' want to say publicy, PM me.

Has anyone else got an outfitter to recommend?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know Shockey does ARGO hunts for those that aren't climbing the hills anymore. I haven't hunted with him, so no help there.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
What's an ARGO hunt?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
postoak;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully this finds you doing acceptably well.

I'd not realized that Argo was a Canuck company somehow - we see a lot of them up here and overall the newer ones are quite well thought of.

http://www.argoxtv.com/

If you are so inclined the stickied thread at the top of the Canada section here contains a bunch of really useful information for any visiting hunter - including those heading for the Yukon.

Hopefully that was useful for you or someone out there this warm and windy Sunday afternoon sir. Good luck on your hunt whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I've not hunted moose with Jim, but I've met him on many occasions (I used to be a gunny writer). I would happily hunt with him and/or his outfit.

In fact, I've been thinking about it ... kind of a last hunt and Jim is probably the only call I'd make.

Blessings and Hunter's Luck to You,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would call the major Yukon outfitters and ask specific questions of each. I was going to hunt with Bonnet Plume, years ago, but, have no current info. to offer.

Situations in Canada's hunting scene can and often DO change suddenly and this can affect a given outfitter or area for better or worse.

I just returned from the Kootenays of BC, close to where I was born and raised and I know the ground very well. I was using Leica glass, it is my 51st BC hunting season and I did not see ONE elk, moose or deer....this, where they were numerous a few years ago.

The problem is largely wolves and I expect to hunt them this coming winter to thin them out a lot. but, this shows how quickly things can change.

I met Shockey at the yearly hunting show at a venue about 15 mins. from my home, several years ago. He is not my cup of tea, but, is very famous and is even on TV.

So, maybe do some serious research and do NOT take any BS, YOU are paying for this. HTH.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by postoak
What's an ARGO hunt?

ARGO is an all terrain vehicle, and they use it to get around in the Yukon on some hunts, sand for game retrieval. For some older,out of shape, or disabled guys it would beat pounding the tundra..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Some of the outfitters up in the Yukon also do River Hunts,using jet boats, at a lesser cost, something to think about.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
postoak,

there is a lot of outfitters over here and different ways to hunt.

i do not know all of them but i do think that river or lake hunts are hard to beat.

with Jim you pay the premium as a celibrity which is not needed on a hunt, he will may be not even in the Yukon when you will be there ....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
What's an ARGO hunt?

ARGO is an all terrain vehicle, and they use it to get around in the Yukon on some hunts, sand for game retrieval. For some older,out of shape, or disabled guys it would beat pounding the tundra..

You ever ridden in an Argo poobah? I have and would rather walk, I'd compare it to rising in a covered wagon with square wheels. They have no suspension other than the wheels.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's still better than walking

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
What's an ARGO hunt?

You ever ridden in an Argo poobah? I have and would rather walk, I'd compare it to rising in a covered wagon with square wheels. They have no suspension other than the wheels.

Nope...I never have.

Cant say as I wouldnt.....but you don't make it sound so good... blush

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I Hate Argo's--have used them hereabouts for more than 30 years--both the 6 wheel and 8 wheel versions. Plus many of the various knockoffs--weasles--buffalo's ect. The newer ones are way better.

That said, they can't be beat for some applications--crossing water like a beaver pond for example or an extended swamp. They are rough riding but will pull or carry a ton of weight.

I only know Jim Shockey from his video's but seems like a nice man. I do know a local fella who went up and guided for him--I'd hunt with that guy anywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I only know Jim Shockey from his video's but seems like a nice man. I do know a local fella who went up and guided for him--I'd hunt with that guy anywhere.

7x57Steve here in the board hunted with Shockey's outfit for bear on Vancouver Island a couple years ago. He said it was the best organized, run and professional hunt he had ever been on.

He's off to WY here soon for Antelope but I'm sure would be happy to chat about it if you PM him.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bonnet Plume outfitters seems to do well on Yukon Moose. I've hunted whitetails in the owner's Alberta camp and he was showing us some exciting videos of his Yukon hunts. They take some big ones.
Happy Hunting

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
What's an ARGO hunt?

Ugh... argo and heads... that would suck I'm sure. Did not know about the suspension thing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.