Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Came across this rifle and can't seem to find anything about it. It was not even listed on Merkel's website. Is it brand new? Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-G77R15W6555?td_source=search

GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^^

TAG

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask mule deer

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by dkevinbarnes
Came across this rifle and can't seem to find anything about it. It was not even listed on Merkel's website. Is it brand new? Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-G77R15W6555?td_source=search

Looks like a new baseline economy rifle by Merkel. Finish looks to be a zinc phosphate or light mag. phosphate. Barrels look to be press fit.

Here is a link to one, they are flooding Gunbroker with prices in the $700-$850 range.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=506058165

SD

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'll stick with a Tikka.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

C
C
I too discovered the R15 yesterday and want to learn more. After all it's a Merkel! Looks very Utilitarian and simple-which I like. The bolt looks like it would be very fast to cycle?

Having them for sale with no real info, not even a magazine article or mention on their website seems odd?

Coming from Merkel could it be made cheaply? Would that make sense for them to do? I get the impression perhaps the R15 is similar in quality to the Tikka T3 and if so, that would be a good thing.

C
C
I did online chat with this place and they could not tell me a thing about the new Merkel R15. I decided that since it's a Merkel I would place an order while they still were available. Besides the price was better than on GB!

So I just placed my order for one in 9.3X62 synthetic.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-G77R159362?td_source=search

I know a 9.3 looks better in wood but expect this rifle to be nice and utilitarian.

I've always wanted a 9.3 for Black Timber elk, pigs and Moose! Expect that this rifle will be on par quality wise as a blue Tikka T3? (By the way there are 3- 9.3X62 T3s on auction now at GB!)

If interested I'll pass on my first impression of the rifle as soon as it's received. I'm also very interested in the new Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger. They were for sale but no longer are and I was told perhaps in 3 or 4 months. I suspect they discovered a problem that needs resolving?

C
C
Wow, I just clicked the link I posted above and it looks like I got the last one in 9.3X62 Synthetic? There is one on GB though.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The pics are better on GB.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Here is the synthetic stocked version of the Merkel R15 and a bit more information in the description.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=506257451

SD

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by cabochris

Coming from Merkel could it be made cheaply? Would that make sense for them to do? I get the impression perhaps the R15 is similar in quality to the Tikka T3 and if so, that would be a good thing.

If you look at sellers other auctions, the Mauser-Werke M96, Bergara B14, and the Merkel R15 all are similar in appearance and construction. I wouldn't be surprised if all three were made in the same place.

Price points are in competition with the Tikka, but
to me, the Tikka T3 looks to be of better quality and is proven to be a fine performer.

Let us know when rifle in hand and how it performs. The Merkel could prove to be of fine quality and a solid performer too.

SD

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I saw these mentioned very recently, as well.

From what I can tell, I believe these are re-branded Haenel Jaeger 10 rifles. (Haenel is a division of Merkel.) Have not seen one in person, as the Merkel version has just been released and I have not seen any of the Haenel products here in the U.S. Sounds like they are very well made, accurate, and attractively priced.

The R15 is not a straight pull but has a 60-degree bolt lift.

One difference I noticed is that the Haenel-branded models all come with iron sights but the Merkel rifles do not.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From the pictures on Gunbrokers, it appears to have the same recoil lug system as a Tikka and a bolt lock down release like the Winchester XPR. CP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like CTD living up to their name. Good luck on that "Merkel".

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The US importer for Merkel is located near me so I contacted them to inquire about this rifle and they were nice enough to invite me over to take a look at one. Pinotguy is correct that these rifles are based on the Haenel Jager. They look almost identical, but from my readings, the Haenel takes Rem 700 bases, but according to the rep, the Merkel uses Savage bases, so there must be some difference in the receiver.

The fit and finish of the wood stocked rifle I handled was nice and the trigger was excellent. I think the rifle looked nicer in person that the few pics I've found online. Overall, I liked it so much that I placed an order for a wood stocked 6.5x55.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a Merkel "American". Other than limited options for dinking around with it, it should be fine, given who's making it. Since the importer is close by, I'd get a spare mag or two while the gettin's good.

You can identify the pioneers by the arrows in their backs. We expect a full report.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kinda hard to put a bipod on it with that front stud positioned where it is.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So has anyone had a chance to shoot one of these yet? I'm interested in a .243, but I would like to hear at least one range report.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Looks like a Merkel "American". Other than limited options for dinking around with it, it should be fine, given who's making it. Since the importer is close by, I'd get a spare mag or two while the gettin's good.

You can identify the pioneers by the arrows in their backs. We expect a full report.

This^^^

See highlighted text. Great advice if you folks end up liking your rifles and find, like I did with a European model only sold here for 4-5 years, that you want "accessories" later. You may find them expensive to get later, or perhaps not even available.

Good luck with them

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.