Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've found a gun from a private seller locally, I've gotten some pictures of it. It appears to be a Winchester 52 sporter, however its been many years since I've been involved with 52's and I seem to be a little rusty.

Below are the pictures. Tell me what you can about this particular gun? Serial number looks to be 67110B.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/glossytundra/0_zpssjmg8yve.jpg[/img]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
From what I can see in the pictures, it is a 52B that has been drilled & tapped on the receiver in order to mount the scope. B models were never drilled & tapped on the receiver when they left the factory. Also it is missing its Lyman 48F receiver sight that most had when they left Winchester. The drilling and tapping and the absence of the 48F lower the value as far as a collector rifle goes. Rifles like this typically sell in the $2500-$2700 range. Can't see clearly enough to tell if there are two tapped holes in the barrel for a target scope block or not, on the plus side it appears to have its original sling. Of note is the fact that drill & tap for scope may have been an option from the factory as well option of no receiver sight. Winchester offered other receiver sight options but by far most Sporters you'll encounter will have the Lyman 48F with target knobs. Since factory records for rifles from this time period do not exist it is hard to prove what options a given rifle may have had, a sales receipt listing options would be better than nothing but not as well accepted as factory records. I would purchase that rifle as a shooter and enjoy it as it was intended to be and not bank on it appreciating in value nor having any collector value.

Last edited by gunswizard; 09/18/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gunswizard
From what I can see in the pictures, it is a 52B that has been drilled & tapped on the receiver in order to mount the scope. B models were never drilled & tapped on the receiver when they left the factory. Also it is missing its Lyman 48F receiver sight that most had when they left Winchester. The drilling and tapping and the absence of the 48F lower the value as far as a collector rifle goes. Rifles like this typically sell in the $2500-$2700 range. Can't see clearly enough to tell if there are two tapped holes in the barrel for a target scope block or not, on the plus side it appears to have its original sling. Of note is the fact that drill & tap for scope may have been an option from the factory as well option of no receiver sight. Winchester offered other receiver sight options but by far most Sporters you'll encounter will have the Lyman 48F with target knobs. Since factory records for rifles from this time period do not exist it is hard to prove what options a given rifle may have had, a sales receipt listing options would be better than nothing but not as well accepted as factory records. I would purchase that rifle as a shooter and enjoy it as it was intended to be and not bank on it appreciating in value nor having any collector value.

Im a 52 LOVER and Mr Gunswizard pretty much covered it all! he and I are on the same thought on money as well , its a 2500 gun but the owner prob wants 5K, we used to say the extra holes hurt a 100 a hole, on that gun I would say 250 to 300 per hole! Buy it right and you will have the best shooter , with the most class on the block! Shoot tree rats in the eye with class and style!!!! I had a 52C Sporter, I just could not hand it to my nephew and say go have fun!!! sold it for 5500. the very best WinPoor
EDIT, I have a HB Zanders satin that I kept to hunt with, tack driver, Winchester had the Japs make 500 for Zanders, 250 gloss and 250 satin, We call them 52R meaning repros. mine is a shooting SOB, one day Im having a high dollar barrel of same heavy contour made and fitted, chambered with the Winchester 52D reamer and rust blued! NO made in Japan stamp!!!! the very best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 09/19/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you ever run across a Zanders HB 52 BUY it, Ive turned down 1500 for mine many,many times!!! very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you do not buy the 52B, PM me with what the fellow wants for it! It will make a fantastic shooter! It is NOT a 4K gun !!! the very best WinPoor

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Would you mind sharing the asking price with us. My ONLY Winchester 22 is a model 1890 with a full octagon barrel and chambered for the 22 short.

My tree rat gun is a Kimber "S" series.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If I can get it bought, I'll share the asking price. Right now the user is not getting back to me on my emails.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I would never be able to get past the extra holes in the gun....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Poconojack
I would never be able to get past the extra holes in the gun....

If they were the G&H holes in the side of receiver, I would feel like you, I just passed on a Griffin & Howe gun in Tallahassee, the barrel was G&H and the side holes had been welded up, I just cannot get past the side holes, IF I had to bet I would bet this gun was drilled aftermarket, Winchester did drill a few 'B' guns as a special order but without paperwork you cannot pay the money vs an undrilled gun, I would spring for this gun if it was priced for what it is, a very nice shooter! A big money collector would not buy it without proper documents... I would love to have it at the right money.... the very best WinPoor

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
This one is gone,but they come up all the time. You just need to keep a eye out.... wink

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=971&aid=100262&lid=26649038&rfpb=0#Top

btw I bid on this one,but I found a Springfield M1922M1 NRA that was less than a third the price. I can only buy so many guns and need to stretch my dollars. But this 52B was a beauty.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Springfield 1922M2 NRA Sporter and I actually prefer it to my 52B Sporter. The extra weight in the barrel enhances the handling qualities of the Springfield.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have a Springfield 1922M2 NRA Sporter and I actually prefer it to my 52B Sporter. The extra weight in the barrel enhances the handling qualities of the Springfield.

If indeed you do have a genuine M1922M2 NRA sales rifle...congrats...only 80+ made and a real collectors piece.

I collect both 52's and M1922's, I like them both but the Springfield is just special...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.