Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
OK so I picked up a sporterized Eddystone 30-06. It has what I think is an old school Bishop stock on it with the white line spacers and a Monte Carlo cheekrest. I already have a nice good shooting 06 so I don't really need another.But I really like this rifle so I want to do something with it. Thinking about getting it rebored to 35 whelen or 9.3x62. Or what would be involved in making it a 300 win. magnum or 338 magnum? Or maybe an 8 mm Remington magnum? Or maybe a 300 H&H magnum? Will work on trying to get pics of it, its just old school cool. Not really sure what I want to do with it so I figured I'd throw it out here and see what you guys think and what I would be getting into with it. Thanks, Don

Last edited by Bearschlayerx2; 09/24/15.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
35 Whelen

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearschlayerx2
OK so I picked up a sporterized Eddystone 30-06. It has what I think is an old school Bishop stock on it with the white line spacers and a Monte Carlo cheekrest. I already have a nice good shooting 06 so I don't really need another.But I really like this rifle so I want to do something with it. Thinking about getting it rebored to 35 whelen or 9.3x62. Or what would be involved in making it a 300 win. magnum or 338 magnum? Or maybe an 8 mm Remington magnum? Or maybe a 300 H&H magnum? Will work on trying to get pics of it, its just old school cool. Not really sure what I want to do with it so I figured I'd throw it out here and see what you guys think and what I would be getting into with it. Thanks, Don

Perfect candidate for a 9.3x62mm rebore. Look JES up... I am thinking about having one done myself...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If I decide to get it rebored I will definitely have it done by JES. I picked this rifle up along with a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 for $400 for the pair so I don't have much in it. I think this will be kind of a work in progress. It is drilled and tapped for scope mounts so that much is done. I also want to get the stock checkered and refinished and possibly get it reblued at some point. Then when he's old enough I'll give it to my oldest grandson. My youngest grandson has already laid claim to my Weatherby and my granddaughter wants my Ruger 77 30-06.
The Stevens I think I'm just gonna put a Boyds laminate stock and a half decent 3-9 scope on it and call it good if it shoots decent. Thinking maybe a Redfield Revolution.
Not sure what scope will go on the Eddystone yet...probably a 3-9 Leupold of some sort.

Kid Rock
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pictures?

What level of customization, have the "ears" been ground off, dogleg bolt handle replaced?

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.
Ears are ground off and it is drliied and tapped.

Kid Rock
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds like you made one heck of a deal.

Those big ole actions are built like tanks. They'll make into a .404J or about any big round.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's one Tom Burgess turned into a .404J.

Not sure how one could reproduce this level of work today must less cover the cost.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Not sure how one could reproduce this level of work today must less cover the cost.

DF

[Linked Image]

Wow! Beautiful. More pics, please!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

[Linked Image]

That sure is a beauty. However, I prefer the m1917 style safety over the model 70 wing type. DF, your collection sure is nice..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Reboring to .35 Whelen would definately be my choice, brass is readily available or can easily be formed from .30-06. There are also a myriad of choices when it comes to bullets, you can shoot jacketed, cast bullets and .357 pistol bullets. I had a pre '64 Winchester M/70 rebored to .35 Whelen about 25 years ago, it is one of my favorite centerfire rifles.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

[Linked Image]

That sure is a beauty. However, I prefer the m1917 style safety over the model 70 wing type. DF, your collection sure is nice..

Wish it was mine. Got that photo on line a few years back when I was building a .404J on a SS M-70 RUM. I like the Enfield safety, too. The only reason I'd go with the M-70 safety would be familiarity with that set up.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/24/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

[Linked Image]

Wish it was mine. Got that photo on line a few years back when I was building a .404J on a SS M-70 RUM. I like the Enfield safety, too. The only reason I'd go with the M-70 safety would be familiarity with that set up.

DF

I shoot lefty, it seems to be easier to manipulate than the wing type. However, I grew up with an old sporterized m1917, so it may just be I'm very familiar with that style. I really miss my BSA model D!!!!! cry

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Getting rid of that ugly dog leg bolt handle helps a lot.

A 1917 done up right is a real jewel.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm sure you are talking to the op, because that one I posted a pic of isn't a m1917 bolt handle... It is actually a factory sporterized M1917, done in England by Birmingham Small Arms company. No where near custom like the one you posted a pic of, but very usable and one of my favorite hunting rifles.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
35 Whelen

I have a Remington 1917 in 338-06.....IMO the 1917 makes for a damn heavy gun for anything on the 30-06 case....unless you dont have to pack the gun around i wouldnt do much of anything but a big case so that weight is put to good use soaking up recoil energy....if i wind up keeping mine it will likely end up being remade into something like a 404 Jeffery or a 416 Rigby or something like that...a 338-06 that weights over 9 pounds all up kicks like a 25-06 in a normal weight rifle but winds up being left in the safe when it comes time to grab something to hike the hills with...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a winchester p17 in 9.3x62. Great cartridge and works very well in this platform.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
.338-06 would be my choice.

Make your first shot your best shot!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Hmmm...some interesting thoughts here and that is a beautiful rifle pictured. I know to go to a whelen or a 338-06 or a 9.3x62 is a simple rebored, but what would be involved in going to a magnum? The 8mm Remington mag has always intrigued me. Or maybe a 338 Winchester magnum?
On and yes it still has the dog leg bolt.
Still trying to get pics. Have them in my phone but mobile photobucket is not cooperating.

Kid Rock
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Since no one else is going to answer your magnum question, you need to open up the bolt face, refit the extractor so it grips the bigger case, mag box needs to be lengthened for the longer magnums like 300 WBY and 8mm rem mag. The 338 win mag will function in the standard enfield mag box. A lot of guys wanting magnums on an enfield action just used the P14's because the bolt face was already opened up for the 303 British. Whatever you decide to do, take your time and do it right. I might also suggest having it cerakoted instead of blued. It may cost you less and protect the metal better than a good bluing job. Here's my 338 win mag I had cerakoted midnight blue:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I look forward to seeing pics of your enfield...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm sure you are talking to the op, because that one I posted a pic of isn't a m1917 bolt handle... It is actually a factory sporterized M1917, done in England by Birmingham Small Arms company. No where near custom like the one you posted a pic of, but very usable and one of my favorite hunting rifles.

Yes, your bolt handle looks good.

The military dog leg bolt handle is ugly, IMO.

Of course, I like the Oberndorf looking handle, like Tom Burgess built.

If I was building on an Enfield, that's the look I'd want.

I have a 98 FN Mauser with that type handle and I like it a lot.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beauty. One thing I have to comment on about the dog leg bolt handle is I've heard it can smack the shooters trigger finger upon firing the rifle. However, I've never had this happen since I shoot left handed.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

DF

[Linked Image]
Yes,but the bolt stem locks into the reciever for added safety. Look at the pic BSA has up above. See how it locks into the receiver in front of the safety.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one that one day will be finished its on a Winchester 1917 with a douglas barrel in a 300 Weatherby mag. Who ever ground the ears off they took to much metal so the rifle is at Dean Zollingers and get surfaced ground by my buddy under Dean supervision :)I bought some of the last 1917 bottom metal that Duane Wiebe made or was making. I got ahold Ed Lapour couple days ago asking about 3 position safety unfortunately he said he wont have any until next summer frown

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I have one that one day will be finished its on a Winchester 1917 with a douglas barrel in a 300 Weatherby mag. Who ever ground the ears off they took to much metal so the rifle is at Dean Zollingers and get surfaced ground by my buddy under Dean supervision :)I bought some of the last 1917 bottom metal that Duane Wiebe made or was making. I got ahold Ed Lapour couple days ago asking about 3 position safety unfortunately he said he wont have any until next summer frown

J, I had a custom built m1917 chambered in 300 WBY and it was a sweet shooter!!! Rifle was pretty heavy so recoil was minimized. I truly enjoyed shooting the rifle. 84gr's of 7828 got those 180's to moving pretty well...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

DF

[Linked Image]
Yes,but the bolt stem locks into the reciever for added safety. Look at the pic BSA has up above. See how it locks into the receiver in front of the safety.

The lug stays. Cut the old bolt handle and weld the new one to the lug with no loss of action strength or alteration to the backup locking lug set up.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ok gotcha.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not sure with the M-70 set up or how the Enfield safety is hooked to the frame. It looks like the metal behind the bolt handle lug isn't there with the M-70 safety modification.

I've handled Enfields, just never took one apart to see how the safety works.

Would appreciate info from someone who has done that.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is a pic of my 1917 with the Burgess bolt handle.
[Linked Image]
I used one of Duane's first pieces of bottom metal. Didn't know that he was quitting.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 09/27/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 1917 made by Winchester that was converted to .300 H&H. I found it in a gun shop in Colorado Springs a few years back. The asking price was $99 + tax, when I looked at it the bolt face, feed rails, and bottom metal had been worked over, the original military barrel was rechambered, received was D&T, and a speed lock kit had been installed. So the price they were asking I thought it was a no brained.the hardest thing was finding the proper base to fit the screw spacing.

Here is how it pretty much looked like when I bought it.
[Linked Image]

I spent about $900 total including purchase, restocking, bedding, Timney trigger, and a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36. It was a fun project, but the rifle is a little on the heavy side, but it didn't turn out terrible.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks good.

Tough ole guns, for sure.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like that one too. Even with its dog leg bolt handle... grin

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I'll have to agree with you on that...

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
grin

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Well the dog leg isn't my favorite nor the laminated stock, but I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Wound up getting into it for more money than I wanted as the stock was inleted so poorly I took it to Kevin Weaver to be massaged into shape and had him bed it. That was about $350 of the total money spent on the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
15 years ago I watched my brother buy a 1917 30-06 in the parking lot of a gun show for $35.

The barrel wants a 303 bullet.

MacFarland's gunsmithing book devotes all 35 pages about sporterizing to the 1917:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-modern-gunsmithing-Harold-MacFarland/dp/0064634264

That is because the 1917 requires everything and more that other surplus rifles require for sporterizing.

This is my 50th year of sporterizing Mausers.
It is never worth it.
You have to want to do it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I found another Burgess Enfield photo in my Photobucket Library.

DF
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some beautiful rifles here. My P-14 was a relatively easy conversion to .375 H&H. Biggest problem was feeding properly, but all in price was under $800, so l can't kick. Heavy, but with that round, l don't mind.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF
[Linked Image]

DF, That is one fine piece right there. I ran across an original Weatherby that Roy put together on an enfield action. It was almost as nice as that one. I wish I would have bought it!!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Some beautiful rifles here. My P-14 was a relatively easy conversion to .375 H&H. Biggest problem was feeding properly, but all in price was under $800, so l can't kick. Heavy, but with that round, l don't mind.

One of my slickest feeding customs was a m1917 sporter 300 WBY. It was so slick, that you had to almost watch the cartridge load just so you knew it went in the chamber. I remember watching as I slowly pushed the bolt forward and watched the rim of the case slide right up into the extractor. No hang ups or glitches, just perfect function. I do miss that rifle..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well it turns out that I won't be doing anything with the one I got as I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. When it was all said and done I ended up with a Stevens 200 7mm-08 for $50. Buying the pair wasn't even a thought till I was offered such à good deal on them.I originally only wanted the 7mm-08 for my daughter to use anyway so it worked out pretty good.
Thanks for all the advice everyone and I never know what I might buy tomorrow so this may get revisited again.

Kid Rock
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF
[Linked Image]

Very nice! DArcy Echols stock work. Lovely rifle.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A big action requires a big round. I'd go 358 Norma or 8mm RM.
I made my Winchester '17 into a 375 H&H AI. I have to finish the wood yet - gimme 2 more years and it will be done.
I flopped my bolt handle forward. I LIKE the dogleg, but I like it the other way on a heavy recoiler.
[Linked Image]

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
A big action requires a big round. I'd go 358 Norma or 8mm RM.
I made my Winchester '17 into a 375 H&H AI. I have to finish the wood yet - gimme 2 more years and it will be done.
I flopped my bolt handle forward. I LIKE the dogleg, but I like it the other way on a heavy recoiler.
[Linked Image]

I don't like my trigger finger being bumped, either. That set up should give you plenty of space.

On a couple of rifles, I flattened the bolt knob, removing the part that hit my finger.

Works very well and you don't really notice the modification, viewing the rifle from the side.

DF

MkV

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M-700

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (1eyedmule, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.