-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We just left Stuart, headed to PA for our annual October trip. We are bringing a hurricane with us.

Yall from NC up to Maine don't be fuggin around and not preparing . This storm is a beast blowing 120mph right now.

Food water gas charcoal, get plenty now before mayhem insues. I've been through a bunch of these storms and things can turn real bad, real quick. Example Sept 2005, we went 29 days with no power from back to back storms.Don't become a statistic, get prepared now.

Last edited by billy336; 10/01/15.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Billy, were leaving Saturday morning for Harkers Island NC for our annual fishing tournament. Hope we have clear seas most of the week. We went off shore 35-40 miles a couple years ago the day after a storm. 15 foot seas and gust to 40 MPH, we drug four lines around for about 6 hours before giving up. The Kings like cooler weather so I was looking forward to this trip, it's been cooler than usual. I think we had a storm last year too. I've got pictures of my friends 30 foot Contender tied to the dock, and it's kinda hard to see, but the boat is floating higher than the dock. The dock was about a foot to 18 inches under water, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Be safe, Joe. You couldn't pay me to go out off of NC for the next few days! I had enough near-death experiences in heavy seas in my life that I swore off of it long ago.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, y'all take care over there. Hopefully it won't be anything terrible.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be out hunting bear Saturday and Sunday. Nothing much in the forecast till Monday over Tuesday and then it implies just rain.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Tournament starts Monday and lasts till Friday. Every boat has to take one day off. We like to scout out our hot spots on Sunday. If we have to we can wait till Tuesday and fish four days straight. The Kings run in close to shore, so all of the fishing is within sight of land. We usually run "Off Shore" on our lay day, for Tuna, Wahoo, and Mako. We will be OK, or spend the days in the tackle shops, looking at used guns.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some models are showing the Big Blow to come up the Bay, which would be right in my lap. Others, including the European model (which is right more often than NOAH is), are predicting it to spend itself in the Atlantic. Who knows. One precaution I'm taking is get the hell out of Dodge for a few days- the plethora of ancient oak trees and huge pines that surround the house I live in scare the bejesus out of me. They're too far away from the house to be a real threat to that, but our parking area is tree-sheltered. The last thing I need right now is a huge limb or a tree to come down on my vehicle. I gotta go back out to my Mom's in Western Maryland for my rotation of caregiving- I'll just stay over an extra day or two if things get bad here.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, gators, snowstorms, floods... Do you people realize what you're costing us in insurance premiums?!! grin

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't get me started on insurance. Our HO is out of hand due to being very close to the water. Those storms in '05 destroyed my brother's house, insurance company went under due to the strain of all the damage, he literally didn't get one penny. 250K later he had a house again, and a sweet new mortgage.

Don't forget, when the power is out, so are the dehumidifiers in the safe. Can result in some pretty foul language if not handled before hand. Good friend hauled azz from those storms, came back to a pile of walnut and rust.

Long Live The Judge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's those little things that can really bit you in the azz. Better safe than sorry. Good posting.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm with FB2 on this one.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Storm is now a Category 4, which means look the fugg out. We passed several FEMA convoys, they were headed northbound towards Hatteras/VA Beach.

Long Live The Judge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by billy336

Don't forget, when the power is out, so are the dehumidifiers in the safe.

Not to mention the fresh drinking water and toilets...

eek

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looks like it's headed offshore just enough to avoid the mainland, count your blessings

Long Live The Judge

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just keep it out of the Gulf! I want to go fishing next week!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
StArted to take pictures of house for sale with water above front step. Tournament shortened to Wednesday, Thursday Friday. Hope to get out and catch bait and do some fishing today. Best thing of trip. Was talking to a new member of the club and his 84 year old dad has a 99 in 30-30 he hasn't used in years.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 21 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,208
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.