Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Anyone have it in the crawlspace ? My rim joist is above grade and in the winter the only thing between the crawl and the cold is a 2x12 , a thin sheet of osb and vinyl siding.

I have about 800 sf of ceramic in the kitchen and I am tired of freezing my feet in the winter.

I am thinking about having the rim joist and part of my subfloor sprayed with closed cell foam to fight the cold.

Anybody btdt ?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
beats fiberglass batts.......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We are building a home and the builder uses spray foam for total insulation package. In houses I've visited with the foam package, during the summer here in OK, walking out into the attic in a 2 story home, you'll find the temperature about 5 degrees warmer than the inside temps. I could hardly believe it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I would like to do my attic, I haven't done to much research, but it is more spendy than batts and blow in.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have closed cell in the walls and in the basement between the floor joists. You will be very surprised how it shuts down cold air flow if there are air spaces there. I have heard this is the worst area for heat loss. I also have about R60 in the attic ( cellulose) . I can heat my house fan water all winter on about 4 cords a year. The house is 2200 Sq . Ft. and 9' ceilings, lots of windows and is in open farmland. The wind just howls here. I also have brick so that might help too.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had our old place sprayed last fall. house built in 1870s and has limestone crawlspace under 3/4s of the house. 3" thick and it makes a heck of a difference, the drafts that used to sneak in when we got a west wind are gone. Not cheap but well worth it in my opinion. the state had a rebate going as well as the energy company. Made it more in line for price, little over $1000.00 for whole basement out of pocket.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Worth the money.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D

The ultimate bad hair day: Woman ends up in hospital after 'confusing builder’s foam with her hair mousse'

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking
I would like to do my attic, I haven't done to much research, but it is more spendy than batts and blow in.
Blow-in is fairly reasonable if you DIY. Home Depot will loan you the blower if you buy enough bags.

I've also considered foam under the house. My house is a manufactured so it has the under-floor insulation but my water pressure tanks and pipes are under there. They've never frozen but with the coming ice age, the insulation would be a preventative.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good stuff - bug, rodent and mould resistant - used widely in Canada..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Anyone have it in the crawlspace ? My rim joist is above grade and in the winter the only thing between the crawl and the cold is a 2x12 , a thin sheet of osb and vinyl siding.

I have about 800 sf of ceramic in the kitchen and I am tired of freezing my feet in the winter.

I am thinking about having the rim joist and part of my subfloor sprayed with closed cell foam to fight the cold.

Anybody btdt ?

We are not cold here, but there are flooring heating strips too... I don't know HOW they fair along with spray foam but I"d look into both before I sprayed the foam, IE if you could strip it and then spray over them or not.

Foam is the way to go IMHO.

We have heat. Normal attic in summer is about 140ish plus. Spray the rafters and insulate teh ceiling normally, you will find that the attics then rarely hit 100... I"ve often seen them barely 90 in middle of summer just due to the rafter spray...

Be careful though if you use whole house-- it can seal it up so tight to sweat the house and windows and have a need to bring in make up air to balance...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

The ultimate bad hair day: Woman ends up in hospital after 'confusing builder’s foam with her hair mousse'

[Linked Image]

And WHY would you go to a hospital for that... they do make scissors... no wonder "healthcare" is high...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We recently super-insulated. Injected foam in all the exterior walls, R-60 blown in for the attic, and a reflective heat film on the attic rafters. We also replaced the AC roof vent fan with a solar unit. Incredible difference.

On 90°+ days, our A/C unit doesn't kick on until late afternoon or evening, and the attic doesn't get more than a few degrees above ambient. If the outside temp doesn't top 90° the A/C doesn't come on at all until it hits the chilldown sleep time at 8 pm. And then it runs once.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ihookem
I have closed cell in the walls and in the basement between the floor joists. You will be very surprised how it shuts down cold air flow if there are air spaces there. I have heard this is the worst area for heat loss. I also have about R60 in the attic ( cellulose) . I can heat my house fan water all winter on about 4 cords a year. The house is 2200 Sq . Ft. and 9' ceilings, lots of windows and is in open farmland. The wind just howls here. I also have brick so that might help too.

Not only that but it REALLY quiets things down in the house. My dad had just the sil plate done at his place it was night and day difference.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

[Linked Image]

And WHY would you go to a hospital for that... they do make scissors... no wonder "healthcare" is high...
At least it looks like it's all on top of the hair. If she'd tried to clean it off, it might have got down to the skin and caused some real problems. It'll sure give the ER people something to talk about anyway.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I always type before I think... I"d have taken one look at that, got the electric hair clippers my wife cuts my hair with and just shaved it all off.

At home.

No other options that I see.

There is a chance there was scalp burns/chemical or otherwise, I did not think it by the photo, but you do never know the whole story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by rost495

[Linked Image]

At least it looks like it's all on top of the hair. If she'd tried to clean it off, it might have got down to the skin and caused some real problems. It'll sure give the ER people something to talk about anyway.

LMAO when i saw that ,stupid is as stupid does , mabey no glasses but thats dam funny ,, she'll be bald for awile grin

norm

we sprayed lots of fish boats with that stuff to keep the holds cold for herring , seeing lots of it in travel trailors in the north country, used around window frames in new const, and in through floor electric and plumming chases to stop fire flow,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had a small fishing boat with a useless front seat that was just a trash collector. I replaced it with a step/storage box and used spray foam inside part of it for extra flotation.

For many uses, clean off the extra before it sets for the best waterproofing. Once it sets, cutting it will remove the solid skin leaving the porous inside exposed. It will soak up water.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the floor heating strips with bat fiberglass insulation over it to heat a tile floor in my house. The strips are on a timer that can be controlled to only come on when you want it during the day and turned off completely during the time of year when it is not needed. They work great and draw very little power.

Harry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 40 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,392
Posts18,469,896
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.