Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So, they want sensible gun control, eh? Here's a sensible suggestion:

Make it absolutely forbidden for anyone but the police or military to have a gun...

...in movies, TV, or video games.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it's just me but IMO, sensible is what the constitution says, "shall not be infringed."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Maybe it's just me but IMO, sensible is what the constitution says, "shall not be infringed."

No it's not just you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag

No it's not just you.

Not by a long shot!!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sensible gun control to me is this,7 out of 10 shots in the bullseye.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sensible gun control is deployment when necessary and hand, breath, and trigger control to engage and hit the target effectively with the least amount of rounds possible.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it's a proven fact that gun control laws never, ever work to protect public safety.
Sensible gun control laws to me then, would be a total absense of them.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can I keep my bb gun?

PLEASE???

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Exactly what I thought when I read the title.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No thankyou!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sensible to WHOM? That's the part that bothers me. I'm not against "sensible" if I get to be the one who choose what "sensible" means.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but since the topic is one that is near and dear, I figured it was time to speak up.

By way of background, I'm a business lawyer and over the past few years (really, since Obama ratcheted up his attacks on liberty when he took office) I've devoted an increasingly large amount of time to pro-bono, pro liberty advocacy. It takes the form of publishing scholarly articles, working with conservative politicians to enlighten them on constitutional law and filing amicus briefs in Supreme Court cases. I participated in the Hobby Lobby case last year and this year I filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in the Obergefell (same sex marriage) case.

My brief focused on the idea that the Supreme Court was likely to create a new fundamental right to same sex marriage and would protect that new right from any level of state infringement. What I argued is the following-if the court gives this kind of protection to newly created rights that are not enumerated in the Constitution, how would it ever be able to uphold any state infringement of existing fundamental rights that are enumerated in the Constitution, like the Second Amendment’s protection of the right to keep and bear arms? Justice Kennedy’s Obergefell opinion did exactly as I expected in my amicus brief.

I followed up my amicus brief with a detailed analysis of the Obergefell opinion, including the dissents, to find that in addition to destroying federalism, Justice Kennedy’s opinion must mean, as a matter of 14th Amendment precedent, that all fundamental rights, including the right to keep and bear arms, are now immune from state and local regulation. As much as some would like to dismiss this conclusion, there is no other way to read the Obergefell opinion. Furthermore, based on existing Second Amendment caselaw (the Heller decision, primarily), it is likely the case that new federal laws in excess of those already in effect would be unconstitutional under Obergefell. This is especially important in light of calls by President Obama for new, confiscatory gun laws in the wake of recent shootings.

My paper, “After Obergefell: Dignity for the Second Amendment”, can be downloaded at no cost through the Social Science Research Network website at the following link: http://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2652536

The bottom line is that I would have preferred that our system as a constitutional, federal republic had not been destroyed. But since the left, with an assist by the Supreme Court, did destroy our system, my goal is to fight back by using their laws against them. Maybe then, they'll realize that there is a heavy price to be paid for what they are doing. Then again, they tend to be lawless, so I don't discount the possibility that they will simply ignore law, precedent and logic to continue their ways.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remsen
they tend to be lawless, so I don't discount the possibility that they will simply ignore law, precedent and logic to continue their ways.

Gee, why would you conclude that? crazy

LOL
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
they tend to be lawless, so I don't discount the possibility that they will simply ignore law, precedent and logic to continue their ways.

Gee, why would you conclude that? crazy

Or they just won't take any more second amendment cases until Bernie can stack the court.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remsen, you need to post more often. Are you from Oklahoma?

Also, I would like for O'Reilly to bloviate an opinion on your question, specifically in respect to "reasonable" gun laws.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but since the topic is one that is near and dear, I figured it was time to speak up.

By way of background, I'm a business lawyer and over the past few years (really, since Obama ratcheted up his attacks on liberty when he took office) I've devoted an increasingly large amount of time to pro-bono, pro liberty advocacy. It takes the form of publishing scholarly articles, working with conservative politicians to enlighten them on constitutional law and filing amicus briefs in Supreme Court cases. I participated in the Hobby Lobby case last year and this year I filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in the Obergefell (same sex marriage) case.

My brief focused on the idea that the Supreme Court was likely to create a new fundamental right to same sex marriage and would protect that new right from any level of state infringement. What I argued is the following-if the court gives this kind of protection to newly created rights that are not enumerated in the Constitution, how would it ever be able to uphold any state infringement of existing fundamental rights that are enumerated in the Constitution, like the Second Amendment’s protection of the right to keep and bear arms? Justice Kennedy’s Obergefell opinion did exactly as I expected in my amicus brief.

I followed up my amicus brief with a detailed analysis of the Obergefell opinion, including the dissents, to find that in addition to destroying federalism, Justice Kennedy’s opinion must mean, as a matter of 14th Amendment precedent, that all fundamental rights, including the right to keep and bear arms, are now immune from state and local regulation. As much as some would like to dismiss this conclusion, there is no other way to read the Obergefell opinion. Furthermore, based on existing Second Amendment caselaw (the Heller decision, primarily), it is likely the case that new federal laws in excess of those already in effect would be unconstitutional under Obergefell. This is especially important in light of calls by President Obama for new, confiscatory gun laws in the wake of recent shootings.

My paper, “After Obergefell: Dignity for the Second Amendment”, can be downloaded at no cost through the Social Science Research Network website at the following link: http://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2652536

The bottom line is that I would have preferred that our system as a constitutional, federal republic had not been destroyed. But since the left, with an assist by the Supreme Court, did destroy our system, my goal is to fight back by using their laws against them. Maybe then, they'll realize that there is a heavy price to be paid for what they are doing. Then again, they tend to be lawless, so I don't discount the possibility that they will simply ignore law, precedent and logic to continue their ways.

Remsen,

Well done!

If you would permit me a few weeks liberty to read and digest that whilst chasing elk, it'd be appreciated. A scholarly review from that perspective should be most illuminating.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Fellow Lurker as well, but need to say thank you to Remsen for your efforts.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Remsen, you need to post more often. Are you from Oklahoma?

Also, I would like for O'Reilly to bloviate an opinion on your question, specifically in respect to "reasonable" gun laws.

Thanks, I learn a lot more from reading than writing here, but I will chime in when I have something to say. I'm from California, unfortunately, but I have a few friends in Bethany, OK who I should visit one of these days...

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Fellow Lurker as well, but need to say thank you to Remsen for your efforts.
Originally Posted by 4ager

Remsen,

Well done!

If you would permit me a few weeks liberty to read and digest that whilst chasing elk, it'd be appreciated. A scholarly review from that perspective should be most illuminating.

I would never want to get between a man and his elk hunt! I hope your hunt is successful, I'd be happy to chat once you've had a chance to read the paper.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,440
Posts18,489,455
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.