Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
action Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
My wife is hunting cow elk with a 270 win. should I load a 150gr nosler partion or 140gr hornady btsp?.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, Action, yes you should. Oh, you mean which? Either/or are fine elk bullets. Pick the one that shoots best. The 140's will fly flatter. The Partitions will cost more, and will guarantee an exit on anything even remotely broadside. Both will do the job well for elk. My choice would be the Hornadys, because I'm cheap, and they are good bullets.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
150gr Nosler partition, and 57-58gr of H4831.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot a lot of elk with a 270. I mainly used Speers but I think their quality has slipped. Partitions are very good but I get better accuracy with Sierra SPT's.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Both good bullets and either will get the job done. 150 PT is the classic 270 elk load.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The one elk I shot with my .270 was with an SST 140.. Broadside about 250 or so, the bullet exited, the cow ran quite a distance, I am guess a couple hundred yards.. Open country so it didn't matter..

We have shot many elk with cup and core bullets and some with Nosler Partition.. If I am not hunting an open country unit, I prefer the Nosler..

Molon Labe
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Yes, Action, yes you should. Oh, you mean which? Either/or are fine elk bullets. Pick the one that shoots best. The 140's will fly flatter. The Partitions will cost more, and will guarantee an exit on anything even remotely broadside. Both will do the job well for elk. My choice would be the Hornadys, because I'm cheap, and they are good bullets.

I agree on the "yes", I think he should... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would definitely use the 140 hornady's but the 15o partition be a hard one to walk away from as well. I guess it comes down to which one shoots the best.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The Partition, hands down........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Either will work fine. Like stated already partition will exit. My last two elk were with a 270 win, both bulls. One was with a 130 gr partition the other with a 150 gr Remington factory load. At 200 yards the 130gr partition shot through the elk's chest and harvested the elk no problems. See which one shoots the best and go with confidence.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Never understood the cost argument for a hunting bullet. The bullet is the cheapest thing on your hunt. Gas costs more, food, clothing, tag, every single piece of gear... why fuss over the cost of a bullet?

Partition

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Never understood the cost argument for a hunting bullet. The bullet is the cheapest thing on your hunt. Gas costs more, food, clothing, tag, every single piece of gear... why fuss over the cost of a bullet?

Partition

So, by your logic, you must go out of your way to find the gas station charging the most for gas, and fill up your vehicle there. Good job?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's not 1 or 2 bullets I may shoot while hunting, it's the 100's I shoot for practice that gets expensive. I've shot a lot of elk with cup & core bullets with excellent results. I couldn't see any practical difference in killing power between Speer Hotcores and Partitions and the Speers were more accurate. I'm shooting a 30-06 now and I find that while Partitions are quite accurate, the Sierra SPT's are more so. I haven't shot an elk yet with the Sierra's, though, to test penetration.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've always had good results with Partitions and have found that they are more accurate when they have Spitzer points.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KC

I've always had good results with Partitions and have found that they are more accurate when they have Spitzer points.

KC

You mean as opposed to the Protected Point?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Partition

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Partition

So, by your logic, you must go out of your way to find the gas station charging the most for gas, and fill up your vehicle there. Good job?

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, it makes no sense. The only way your logic makes sense is if I were to skip a store that sells Partitions for $25 a box and bought the exact same Partitions from a different store for $35 a box (dollar amounts just for example). Good job on your logic.

What I'm talking about is two different products, not the same product at a different price, like your logic states.

To put it simply, how much do you spend on an elk hunting season? Anywhere from $50 if it is in your back yard to up to or beyond $10,000? What is the point on going cheap on a bullet to save money? Yeah, that $0.30 cents you saved sure made a difference. Good job? But in all reality you don't just shoot one, but how about a $27 box of bullets (100ct) vs $33 box (50ct)? And assume you shot 50 before the season. You saved $20 total in bullets. Big deal. I'd take the premium over the standard on elk - not for how it flies but what it does to the elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about this logic: If for the conditions that I hunt (animal size, range, impact velocity, etc) premium bullets offer no advantage over standard cup and core bullets, why should I pay a premium for something I don't need?

By the same logic,my pickup runs fine on standard unleaded, why would I pay for higher octane gasoline.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Partition

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, it makes no sense.

Thanks for mirroring my point exactly. You didn't present an argument, or even refute mine. The bullets are not the cheapest thing on the hunt. You don't buy and use one. It is a false argument used as a sales pitch to sell "premium" bullets.

If the cheaper bullet carries more energy, has a flatter trajectory, bucks the wind better, and kills just as well, advocating for the more expensive "premium" is actually worse than shopping around for the most expensive gas.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 3,333 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.