-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a pre-64 with a stock like the rifle in the top pic, but I see pre-64's with stocks like the one in the bottom pic. I figure they have the same action, barrel, trigger, etc., assuming they haven't been modified.

How do you know which pre-64 you are talking about, without pics of the stock?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Stock on top appears to be later production (1959 -) with a hard rubber butt plate and possibly the new machine checkering. Lesser grades of walnut were also being used at this time. Top stock also has a Monte Carlo comb which was introduced in the early 50's and available until the end of pre 64 production and bottom stock has the low comb that was no longer available by 1960. Serial # (approx. 445,000 for the plate and approx. 485,000 for the checkering) differentiates these changes....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Stock on top appears to be later production (1959 -) with a hard rubber butt plate and possibly the new machine checkering. Lesser grades of walnut were also being used at this time. Top stock also has a Monte Carlo comb which was introduced in the early 50's and available until the end of pre 64 production and bottom stock has the low comb that was no longer available by 1960. Serial # (approx. 445,000 for the plate and approx. 485,000 for the checkering) differentiates these changes....

Not much to add to Poconojack, You cannot go wrong with either!!! Buy one and shoot it and you will never go back, Your hooked for life!!! LMAO V BEST WinPoor

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not being a smartazz, but the one I've got (like the top pic), 1955 model (bought in 1956, by Dad, never out of the family) has the metal the butt plate, not sure about checkering or walnut.

What I want to know is what grade is it. They made several grades such as standard, featherweight, target grade, super grade, varmenter, gopher grade, bull grade (figure this has a bull barrel?).

Can you tell by the stock? Is it stamped on the gun somewhere? How do you tell the difference?

Sorry for the confusion-- I didnt give a good example/question of what I was wanting to know.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Top gun is a Featherweight! An early one is the cats azz to me! What cal? the very best WinPoor
EDIT, My eyes are on 3.25 readers IF it does not have the dog dick knot under rear sight dovetail it is FWT ! VB WP

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither are super grades, which have a black fore-end. The high comb stock is typical of (most) Featherweights; the other is typical of the standards.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, I just found a web sight that said featherweights had a 22" barrel, aluminum floor plate, etc.

My gun has a 24" barrel, steel butt plate, steel floor plate, with the raised comb... so it must be a standard grade with the raised comb stock.

Am I correct?

Winchesterpoor- if you are talking about the barrel being thicker under the rear sight, yeah it is. 270 cal

Last edited by Oldman03; 10/04/15.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
You are correct Oldman03.

Plus the Featherweights and Supergrades were stamped as such, either on the barrel or the floor plate.

There are MANY variables, but generally speaking, the older (as in '54 and older) are considered better quality rifles as Winchester started to cut costs by then.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Old Man, Its still one hell of a gun! Even if wood needs to be redone by a pro its a 1000 dollar gun! Given its your Dads it is probably priceless to you! Your Father had fine taste in a rifle! With pet factory ammo Im willing to bet I could put 5 in a 1/2 inch! in 1956 NO BS was leaving factory, a lot of real craftsmen then and the machines they were building them on were still in good shape! Not all shimmed up and they did not know they were losing money on every one they made at that point in time!!! You have a good one in a very popular caliber my friend, un cut and Im willing to bet your Dad kept care of it, You did not spend that kind of money in 1956 and not take care of one, 90% were carried more than shot! Knock on wood as many as I have fooled with Ive yet to buy a poor shooter or a shot out barrel, I like the hot rods too but shoot factory ammo 95% of time, eg 220swift, 243win ,264and 300 win mag ect. !!! very best WinPoor

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Winpoor- Until the early '80's this was Dad's only large rifle and it was hunted. Not abused, but if it was snowing/raining, it still got hunted, and cleaned when you got home.

With Rem. 130 gr. Core-locs it shoots 1" groups and on a good day, I can do a little better. With reloads, 3/4" groups are the norm for me.

Dad said the gun cost $150 in 1956, which was more than he brought home for a weeks work. He was hunting in Colorado with some of his friends and bought the gun for hunting up there. In '57 mom got him a K4 Weaver and had it mounted (flip mounts and they are still on there) for him and it wore that scope until the late 70's.

Yeah, your right, its priceless, but none of my guns are safe-queens. I use it to shoot coyotes and pigs and occasionally a deer.

Thanks to all the fellows for helping me figure out what grade it is!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.