Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn:

I knew it. You smart lurkers are there in the wood work needing to lure you all out just to pick your brains. At last another good post by a fellow enthusiast.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by postoak
What's the mystery about .280 velocities? Some of you guys act as if it were a wildcat.

Even without looking at the many sources of data for it, I would predict that for same-weight bullets, speeds are going to be lower than the .30-06, and slightly higher than the .270 Win.

No mystery...just good fun discussion. Sure, simple google search would answer most questions on here but what fun is there in that? Some of us like the mostly good-natured interactions even if it may be redundant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is always somebody who thinks a given question shouldn't have been asked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Luckily my 700 BDL .280 likes 140 grain Core Lokts because my reloading stuff is in my grandparents basement back in PA and I won't get it until Christmas. Whatever speed those Core Lokts are hitting will be more than sufficient here in the piney woods.

Use them and you will like the end results, I know I did.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boomwack
Originally Posted by moosemike
Luckily my 700 BDL .280 likes 140 grain Core Lokts because my reloading stuff is in my grandparents basement back in PA and I won't get it until Christmas. Whatever speed those Core Lokts are hitting will be more than sufficient here in the piney woods.

Use them and you will like the end results, I know I did.

Yup, I bought 500 each of the 140's and 150's for fire-forming, load work up etc. They do a nice job on game too.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tomk
Indeed--theory.

I'll pass.

It's not theory. I was trying to be polite.

Take a look at Barnes data for the XLC bullets and compare them to the data for conventional Barnes bullets of the time.The charges were heavier and velocities were higher for the XLC. How come? .But I am working from memory so anyone is free to refresh it for me.

The "slicker" XLC (with the friction reducing coating) allowed heavier powder charges and greater velocity.

Hasn't anyone ever seen different bullets of the same weight, from the same barrel, and same powder charges produce different velocities? Anyone ever wonder "why"?

Charges are the same,bullet weights are the same, barrel is the same. So they should produce the exact same velocity. Right? But some don't. How come?

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/03/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Hasn't anyone ever seen different bullets of the same weight, from the same barrel, and same powder charges produce different velocities? Anyone ever wonder "why"?

Charges are the same,bullet weights are the same, barrel is the same. So they should produce the exact same velocity. Right? But some don't. How come?

Well, any effect of coatings aside, bearing surface differences between various bullets is a significant contributor to different pressures / velocities as a certainty.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by tomk
Indeed--theory.

I'll pass.

It's not theory. I was trying to be polite.

Take a look at Barnes data for the XLC bullets and compare them to the data for conventional Barnes bullets of the time.The charges were heavier and velocities were higher for the XLC. How come? .But I am working from memory so anyone is free to refresh it for me.

The "slicker" XLC (with the friction reducing coating) allowed heavier powder charges and greater velocity.

Being polite is accepted with great appreciation:

This thingie about variations between calibers, bullets, barrels, velocities, ballistics is, as you surely are cognizant very complex.

Best I can say now it that I am thankful that you broach the subject intelligently and with the appropriate decorum.

Another Good Guy to chalk up on this fine leading website.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
BobinNH will forget more than you will ever know,wet.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick hasn't tossed this WET fool yet?

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Repost reshot the 280 again with 140 gr shoot best at max loads with RL 22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the .280 is one of the more interesting cartridges out there, and the fact that raising pressures nearer to .25-06 pressures can wake it up has fed my curiosity and led me down an interesting path over the years. I'm fully aware that SAAMI pressure ammo will do the job...I just see it as a "why not?" and/or "what if?" proposition. Were the subject politicized I think the bumper sticker would say "it's the science, stupid."

I've had four rifles in .280, and have some limited data on three of them. My current rifle, a Model 70 Super Grade (I'm still pinching myself over that acquisition!), seems to have a more generous chamber as the fireformed brass which held 69.0 grain of water when fired in the previous rifle holds 70.4 grains of water when fireformed in the 70.

My old load consisting of a 150-grain Partition over 58.5 grains of H4831SC turned in about 2920 fps in the old rifle, but only 2860 fps in the new one. It's taking from 1.5 to 1.7 grains more of 4831 to get the new rifle to match the old one in terms of velocity. I suppose the more generous chamber in the Model 70 is responsible for at least a part of that.

Since there are some interesting new powders on the block, I am taking the opportunity to try some in the new rifle before I get too far with H4831. Re26 is particularly interesting, and QL suggests I can approach 3000 fps without breaking a sweat (about 54000 psi). I'm not taking that to the bank, though. You don't know until you know.

One thing I like about Re26 in this application is that (again, according to QL) it does not appear to be operating anywhere near dangerous pressure, and small charge weight increments don't seem to produce out-of-proportion pressure and velocity variations. Burn should be near 100% also. Again, I have no deposit slip in my pocket all filled out and ready to go.

I look forward to finding out how it actually pans out.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.