Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The ATL Sports Talk callers are burning up the phones with anxiety and depression over UGA's resounding loss to Alabama on Saturday. This is of course predictable, as we've seen this scenario played out every year that UGA has a Top 10 ranking early in the season. This is how it goes:

- UGA opens the season against weak opponents
- they shoot up the polls.
- they lose their first SEC game
- the Fans start grumbling about how Mark Richt can't win the big game
- they recover some emotional stability until the 2nd SEC loss
- then they fall apart and moan and groan about how "Mark Richt needs to go full time to his Christian Ministry and we need to git somebody in here that kin win!"

It has started. It didn't take but 3 callers to 680 The Fan this morning to get all of that.

Mark Richt averages 10 wins per year. So 10-2 or 10-3 just isn't good enough and they want somebody "better, sombody that kin beat Saban!". Well, boys and girls, as much as it pains me to say, only Urban Meyer is one upping NIck Saban. When asked who they want, names like Gary Patterson of TCU and Art Brilles of Baylor came up. Hmmm, I don't see them playing for National Championships. Seems to me they win about 10 games per year, and they don't play in the SEC.

I agree that sooner rather than later, Mark Richt needs to have great season, but he's doing a good job. Want to compare him to the beloved Vince Dooley?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Bulldogs_football_under_Vince_Dooley

Except for the Herschel years, I think Richt's record looks better. So Bulldog fans, Mark Richt can be considered Vince Dooley II. Is that bad? Do you think Art Brilles or Gary Patterson are going to do something Richt can't, or are you just desperate and grasping at straws in frustration? Are going to continue to "hate" everyone else in the SEC? Yes, that's what I hear from UGA fans. "I hate (fill in the blank with your choice of Auburn, Florida, UT, LSU, Clemson, and of course Ga Tech) How can one fanbase HATE everyone on their schedule? What kind of rivalry does that make? Florida and Tech, I get it. The others are just petty jealousy because all of those programs have won a Natl. Title since UGA last played for one. Bama, Lsu, Florida and Auburn have played in multiple National title games.

My advise for you UGA fans is to step back off the ledge and relax. UGA can still go 12-1 and win the SEC with better play. What if they only go 10-2? That is good season and you should enjoy it!

Next, get off Richt's case, because there aren't many coaches not named Saban or Meyer that are more accomplished, and if they are, they probably don't want to come to Athens to listen to you moan and groan. They will stay where their efforts are appreciated.

Lastly, you'll just have to wait for your next Hercshel, your next Cam, or your Tebow to win it all.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You should hear what's going on in Husker land... it's not pretty.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We (Huskers) are going to lose 6-7 games this year. Hard to watch a storied program go down in flames.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think you're being optimistic...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't imagine what it's like to loose 7 games in the Big 10.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm living a nightmare with Auburn, but nobody is on suicide watch and the crowd is not gathering to get Gus. Team is very young, not many Seniors and the QB in waiting flopped. Nobody saw that coming, he looked like a star in the making. Better things to come, just not in '15.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
We (Huskers) are going to lose 6-7 games this year. Hard to watch a storied program go down in flames.

Mike

I know, I can't hardly stand to watch them.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It's like a week with your inlaws.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is always fun to sit back and watch the entitled fans implode.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I find it kinda hard to muster up a tear for the Cornhusters...

Frank Solich:
1998 (9-4)
1999 (12-1)
2000 (10-2)
2001 (11-2)
2002 (7-7)
2003 (10-3) Fired.!

Bo Pelini:
2008 (9-4)
2009 (10-4)
2010 (10-4)
2011 (9-4)
2012 (10-4)
2013 (9-4)
2014 (9-4) Fired.!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Frank Solich:
1998 (9-4)
1999 (12-1)
2000 (10-2)
2001 (11-2)
2002 (7-7)
2003 (10-3) Fired.!

Bo Pelini:
2008 (9-4)
2009 (10-4)
2010 (10-4)
2011 (9-4)
2012 (10-4)
2013 (9-4)
2014 (9-4) Fired.!

See above.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It's like a week with your inlaws.

Or be a Gator Fan! My youngest boy is and he is trying to change me.
Big Ten is not shabby in the top 25

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Urban Meyer came from Utah, which ran a Big 12'esque spread offense, ala Patterson/Briles, so yeah those two coaches could win an SEC championship with Georgia players/athletic budget. I like Richt and think he is a very good thing for those kids who are fortunate enough to play under his moral character.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Urban Meyer came from Utah, which ran a Big 12'esque spread offense, ala Patterson/Briles, so yeah those two coaches could win an SEC championship with Georgia players/athletic budget. I like Richt and think he is a very good thing for those kids who are fortunate enough to play under his moral character.

I think they could, but Mark Richt can also. Malzahn runs the Spread, and he was a genius in 2010 and 2013. Doesn't look as smart this year. It's not easy in the SEC. UGA is in the mix most every year, but I don't think the sort comings are all Richt's fault. It's a tough neighborhod.

UGA only has to look at wat UT has gone through since they fired Phil Fulmer. Life can get a lot worse for a long time.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by hatari

Mark Richt averages 10 wins per year. So 10-2 or 10-3 just isn't good enough and they want somebody "better, sombody that kin beat Saban!".

I agree that sooner rather than later, Mark Richt needs to have great season, but he's doing a good job. Want to compare him to the beloved Vince Dooley?

I grew up in GA and played FB at Georgia Tech, so there is no love for Georgia. However, I do like Mark Richt and think he is a good coach and a classy guy. It must take a lot of patience / money to deal with that fan base. They will run him off at some point, then they'll be crying for the good ole days when Mark Richt was coach.

My enjoyment comes from listening to all the rednecks that call in on Monday nights to WSB radio so they can give their words of coaching wisdom to Mark Richt. He's way to gracious to those buffoons.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm living a nightmare with Auburn, but nobody is on suicide watch and the crowd is not gathering to get Gus. Team is very young, not many Seniors and the QB in waiting flopped. Nobody saw that coming, he looked like a star in the making. Better things to come, just not in '15.

Kentucky is waiting......

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA

Kentucky is waiting......

Normally, I would not be concerned unless it was basketball season. This year......could get ugly. Enjoy it while you can!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Frank Solich:
1998 (9-4)
1999 (12-1)
2000 (10-2)
2001 (11-2)
2002 (7-7)
2003 (10-3) Fired.!

Bo Pelini:
2008 (9-4)
2009 (10-4)
2010 (10-4)
2011 (9-4)
2012 (10-4)
2013 (9-4)
2014 (9-4) Fired.!

Pelini - 8 seasons, 3 of them we ended up unranked, 4 ended up ranked from #19 to #25, only once in the top 15 and never in the top 10. Nebraska doesn't hire or pay it's coaches to take us to the top 25. And he was fired as much for non-football issues as he was for football, but his failure to take us higher in the rankings was going to do him in anyway.

I've never understood the Solich firing, except that he had the bad luck to follow Osborne who only lost 3 games in the previous 5 years and who'd never lost more than 3 games in a season in 25 years. So a 7-7 season followed by another season with 3 losses including the Kansas State 38-9 loss at home wasn't something Nebraska fans were used to. Other teams would LOVE to have those seasons, but we hadn't seen anything that bad in over 30 years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
think the dawgs are mad at Mark now, wait until Florida spanks them smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The expectations are high at Georgia every year because they are always seemingly on the cusp, just to fall shy on the big stage. The talent that goes through Georgia is on par with, or beyond, any school that's won a NC in the last 10 years.

Hell, if they were 8-5 or 7-6 every year, it wouldn't rile so many when they lose to a team like Alabama.

I like Richt. He's is a good coach, a great recruiter, and a hell of a guy.......I'd like him even more if he'd get those kids prepared to win a NC.

Fugg the Gaytors.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 15 invisible), 1,029 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.