-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What type of duck rig do you all use? Post some pics if you can. Where I hunt I'm able to get by with a canoe, small ponds and creeks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll keep this going, sorry no pics today.

1. 14' Alumacraft jonboat fully decked except for an 18"x48" cockpit, the front half has a 24"x48" cago hatch so all the decoys can be lockked in. !st Place 2004 OR Wtrfwl Fest.

2. 14' Martin sq. stern canoe full camo canvas cover. I use it when I'm doing a combo coyote or upland and duck hunt so I don't have to drag the trailer everywhere.

3. 15' Beaver Racing canoe light weight aluminum, I use it to haul big spreads of decoys into no motor areas, it paddles real easy but tippy.

4. 12' Wilderness kayak full camo cover reversible to white, jump shooting small tidal streams and lakes and ponds with limited access, I've made wheeled cradle for it and can pull it like a decoy cart.

As you can tell I'm an avid duck hunter. I've done all the modification to these boats myself. And they are what I think are the perfect duckin rigs for me. I've had the jon boat 30 yrs and it is a work in progess but I think it's just about there. Now I just need to build a layout boat and a scull boat.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks erich. Sounds like some nice toys, looking forward to seeing the jonboat. Before moving to Kentucky I lived/hunted Virginia and did it mostly duck commander style. I've been toying with the idea of building a layout boat too, just haven't gotten around to starting the project.

critters, fun to pet, better to chew!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Pod
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boat pics.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

erich

Make mine a Minaska

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice boat erich, did you do the mods yourself?

critters, fun to pet, better to chew!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes I did all the mods myself. I wanted a rig that was ready to go all the time and didn't have to worry about people helping themselves to my gear. I can go on a trip and pull off the road and jump shoot a creek or chase a pheasant and not have t keep the rig in sight, all compartments lock.

Safety was a big part of my design also. With the small cockpit I can take a wave over the side and not swamp the boat. Even if the cockpit fills it won't hurt the handling much, there is a large bilge pump under the rear deck to empty any water quickly. All the original floatation is still in the boat plus there are two extra blocks under the rear deck. With the front hold full of decoys and the hatches locked down it's like riding in a big cork.

With the front hold full the boat only draws a few inches of water and I can walk it into area that other boats can't get to. I hunt alot of tidal marshes and can get into spots durring low tide and be all set up befor othethers can get into the area.

erich

Make mine a Minaska

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,317
Posts18,505,717
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.