Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a rifle with a VX-6 4-24X52on it. I have killed two animals on 4X after turning up the magnification to verify I wanted to fire, the returning it to 4X. If a guy uses a 3-18X he doesn't have to use the 18X unless he just wants to. But it's there if he wants it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
high power variables come with baggage some (most) of us are not willing to accept on a .375.

like puny eye relief and monster objective bells...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
toad,

high power variables come with baggage some (most) of us are not willing to accept on a .375.

What is not "puny eye relief"? What's the disadvantage of "monster objective bells"?

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
What's the disadvantage of "monster objective bells"?

No one will take you seriously if you show up with a .375 sporting a monster objective bell.

But if you go with one, by all means don't forget the barrel de-resonator and the buttstock shell holder.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
toad,

What is not "puny eye relief"? What's the disadvantage of "monster objective bells"?

4.9" is not puny eye relief.

monster objective bells add girth and mass to the rifle, and leverage to bend schitt. yes, those are disadvantages...

this .375 RUM gives me the warm fuzzies in the backcountry.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

No one will take you seriously if you show up with a .375 sporting a monster objective bell.

I've use my .375 on deer and elk. They were the only ones I cared about taking the monster objective bell seriously.

But if you go with one, by all means don't forget the barrel de-resonator and the buttstock shell holder.

If a barrel de-resonator is one of those things made by Simms I tried one on a .223 for a test. It worked like a champ. I could get 2 1/4" three shot groups at 300 yards without it. I was able to cut that to 1 1/16" with it. I will leave the buttstock shell holder for those who don't have pockets in which to put extra cartridges.

My .375 shoots flatter than a .30-06. Why would I not take advantage of its flat trajectory with a powerful scope?

monster objective bells add girth and mass to the rifle, and leverage to bend schitt. yes, those are disadvantages...

My large bell, with its added girth and mass, has never caught on something. I guess the bushes here don't care what scope one uses.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
'flatter than a .30-06' isn't setting the bar very high...but hey, an '06 would do fine with fixed power Leupold. my .30-06 has fixed 3x on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the disadvantage of "monster objective bells"?

What this says about what you haven't done and where is a lot. "Sticking out stuff" is not often a positive attribute, at least not when hunting under many circumstances, perhaps most especially when using a 375 for what 375s are rather well-suited for.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Klikitarik,

The vast majority of .375's are purchased by shooters who will never use them for what they were designed for. The vast majority of them will fire it a few times and brag about owning one.

When I went to Alaska my .375 had a 4-16X40. If I went to Africa it might have a 2 1/2-16X but I might leave the 4-16X on it.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOts of people bring some really irrelevant set-ups to Alaska. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sometimes they even succeed in spite of equipment that is rather ill-suited to the task. That still does't validate their equipment choices.

And of course it should be remembered that Alaska is bigger than California, Texas, and Montana put together, and that the vastness of the state means that it can be as varied as the states of Washington, North Dakota, and Vermont, and Canada's Northwest Territories all rolled together.

Glad ginormous works for you anyway. My last hunt had me wondering if the distance was going to be 23 yards or 17; I estimated that since, as usual, I didn't bring a rangefinder.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For a .375, I'd be looking at a fixed power scope - likely in the 2.5, 3, 4 or 6x range, depending on what I was hunting.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having stepped into more than a couple Hellholes following wounded bears I find the whole concept of what a 375 is built for a little funny.

Off the top of my head I remember using a 12 gauge 870, 30-06, 35Whelen, 35WAI, 308Norma, 300WM, 375H&H, and 375AI... Only a couple had more than 20" of barrel... almost all had a 3x Leupold. None had a lens big enough to catch on brush in a tight situation.

Slings are removed and a few minutes are taken to clear everything else out of the mind and proceed slowly. At the staplegun ranges encountered almost all of the bears were found dead, not a bad thing, btw...

But there were more than a few that were struggling with the concept of giving up and required an application of crosshairs to seal the deal. The idea of swinging a huge scope in a willow thicket and thinking it will not bump into something is beyond stupid.

Dumber yet is thinking the high power scopes are required for the things a 375 is best suited for. If you are shooting coyotes with a 375 the notion of saving hides is obviously something found in the smoke of a pot-pipe.

If you cannot connect with a 375 at 3x on any reasonable 375 target it is not the ocular bell's problem... in fact most of such problems are most easily found in the shooters' mirror.

Of course I am just guessing because I have only had a couple bears die on my boot tops...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few Kodiak bears ago I had a bad situation with a setting sun right behind a really big wounded bear and he made several direct charges at very close range... it was the first bear I shot at with the Viper 1-4x24. I liked it a lot!

A long time ago I shot a Kodiak bear with 3.5-10 Leupold set on 6x. Rick Bin was right beside me and the bear was 24 yards away in heavy alders. Finding a clear path was not too tough at 6x. It was test to see how comfortable a 6x42 would make me. I say there are a lot of worse choices. Ringworm listed almost all of the unbelievably worse choices possible...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used a 1.75-6 Leupold in the past and currently have a 4x Conquest on mine. Both are ok, but I prefer the fixed 4x.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I see one person uses several calibers for what "a .375 is intended for." I would bet a chunk of change the people who "intended" the .375 never gave Alaska a thought.

For those who don't know the difference between a 24mm objective and a 40mm objective is about a 1/4" per side. In the real world the only difference that 1/4" will make is in the mind of the person carrying the rifle.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I see one person uses several calibers for what "a .375 is intended for." I would bet a chunk of change the people who "intended" the .375 never gave Alaska a thought.

Alaska is the only reason I own a .375.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2.5 x 8 Leupold

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not sure what has happened to common sense. Why does the shooting community at large think a 4-12 scope is needed on a big game rifle? Our grandfathers and fathers used 2.5x, 3x, and 4x scopes and performed some nice shooting with them as well.

I have a .375 Whelen Improved that is going to get a Leupold VX-Hog 1x-4x with a 20mm objective. I probably wont be able to shoot farther than 25 yards with it, but it won't look like the Hubble Telescope, either...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

The downside to this "375" package is the sling that isn't easily detachable, a detail that Sikta Deer correctly pointed out is sometimes a desirable feature. Less is generally "more" when you're seeking reliability under adverse conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You think our dads and granddads would not use what we have now? Most would be just like most of us.

Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.