-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No idea, but I can tell you I stopped dragging deer shortly after moving here.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Eastern Oregon mule deer I hunt probably average around 140 field dressed for a 2.5 to 3.5 year old. Some get much bigger. I never weigh them field dressed but I get weights for the skinned carcass without head or the legs past the knees when I take them to the butcher. You can extrapolate live weights from this. I killed one buck with a live weight over 300 some years back and another weighing 250 a couple of years ago.

Last edited by bowmanh; 10/08/15.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I moved to Michigan from ND 4 years ago. I don't know about weights but I do know the deer in west central Michigan are a lot smaller bodied than the deer in north central North Dakota.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A better choice of words on my part would have been "typical" instead of "average".

For years [don't know if they still do it] TP&W would station a person at each of the larger processing facilities in each area who were tasked with aging the FIRST 100 Bucks brought in every season. This was usually accomplished on opening weekend. Seeing the large numbers of immature bucks killed is what led to the "13 in. rule" being implemented in large areas.

The downside to this rule is encouraging the preservation of genes that contribute to narrow racks. I see quite a few 5 YO bucks that will never reach the 13 inch inside spread minimum.

We have the same here, well not quite a few, but some. But we've had good luck for some reason, they either get wider I guess or disappear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wildbill59
I wish we could auto feeder our deer like you all do in Texas. We'd have monsters.

There are some areas where feeders help, but generally most folks won't feed enough to do much to really help the deer.

I try to keep 10 of our 100 acres or so, in some type of food plot that can help the deer as close to year round as I can.

I personally believe that helps MUCH more than any kind of feeder, though free choice protein seems to help them in a drought.

Both food plots or natural food sources and age are much more important in the scheme of things that genetics cannot touch.

A corn filled auto feeder is nothing but an attractant of a candy store that does no good for the deer.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm not sure on the actual poundage but I am sure Nebraska deer are HEAVY!!

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by wildbill59
I wish we could auto feeder our deer like you all do in Texas. We'd have monsters.

There are some areas where feeders help, but generally most folks won't feed enough to do much to really help the deer.

I try to keep 10 of our 100 acres or so, in some type of food plot that can help the deer as close to year round as I can.

I personally believe that helps MUCH more than any kind of feeder, though free choice protein seems to help them in a drought.

Both food plots or natural food sources and age are much more important in the scheme of things that genetics cannot touch.

A corn filled auto feeder is nothing but an attractant of a candy store that does no good for the deer.

yes good point.

from the interweb

Not all whitetails in North America eat the same amount of food in a day. But strictly for purposes of illustration, let’s assume that an “average” deer, given as much as it would like to eat, consumes 7 pounds per day. In a year, that totals 2,555 pounds.

being involved in the DMAP gives access to the state biologists.

plan and simple you can't feed deer enough year around.

must have natural browse to go with it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gene - never have hunted TX whitetail, so no idea. The heaviest Coues whitetail I ever bagged was probably not more than 100 lbs, maybe not that heavy.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From personal experience and using scales on two well managed ranches in LaSalle County, 220 - 245 average live weight on the scales for a mature buck. One did go 265, but that is not common.

On the east side of South Texas in Refugio County, 180 - 210 live weight.

Those are 6.5+ year old deer on large, low fence ranches.

Younger management deer weigh less.

The key is to keep population numbers low enough to fit the food and water supply.

The best way to kill old deer is to quit shooting young deer.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've never weighed a deer so I have no idea on actual weight.

I have seen bucks from a couple counties north in the edge of the hill country that were about the same size as our does are here. So size can vary wildly from place to place.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was always under the impression that we had small deer here, but from what I'm reading here, ours are about the same as most. I'd say our average "antlered" bucks range from 100# to 130# dressed out. But a lot of the bigger ones can be as much as 150# to 180#. One of my guys killed one 2 weeks ago and weighed 160#.

This was my first buck and weighed 158#.

[Linked Image]

Here are a couple more nice ones. I'm not sure what they weighed because the state doesn't require it anymore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I keep seeing this big guy, but I can't bring myself to kill him.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
North Idaho has lots of whitetails and they can get big. I've never shot or weighed one but I've seen some real whoppers. The farther north you go, the bigger they get.
this is true of mammals and fish, they need the added weight to deal with cold weather.

Yep.

Body mass vs. surface area.

Adaptation to the climate.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Buy the way, this is in Maryland, not TX. Sorry.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have looked over some 60 years of harvest data for both bucks and does for Camp Bullis, San Antonio, TX and all weights are dressed/gutted deer. The heaviest buck is 157 lbs and doe is 83 lbs. These deer were taken some 10 years ago when we were feeding protein year round. Just recalling from memory so may be off a lb or 2. Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I've glimpsed some big bodied, nice racked bucks in my area of Northern Lower Michigan, I've never killed one. Most of the bucks taken on my property have weighed 100-120 lbs, dressed, according to my scale. I did take one big ol' doe several years ago that dwarfed the small herd that she ran with. She dressed an honest 140 lbs.

My best buck was a decent 8 point taken on state land in Midland county, down in the middle of the Lower Peninsula. It scaled 150 lbs dressed.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
North Idaho has lots of whitetails and they can get big. I've never shot or weighed one but I've seen some real whoppers. The farther north you go, the bigger they get.
this is true of mammals and fish, they need the added weight to deal with cold weather.

This is true of mammals NOT fish. A 10# bass in Texas or Florida is a nice fish, but in Illinois or Missouri, it's a Whopper. Down here, they feed voraciously pretty much 3 seasons in warmer water.

IL and MO whitetails routinely go over 200#, but that's pretty rare in Texas and is unheard of in FL.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
its true of fish as well redfish and spotted weakfish run much larger on average the farther north you go, do a little research and you will see this is true. now large mouth bass are a fish whose normal habitat is in the south so LMBass introduced to more northern ranges might not do as well and follow the rule.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
its true of fish as well redfish and spotted weakfish run much larger on average the farther north you go, do a little research and you will see this is true. now large mouth bass are a fish whose normal habitat is in the south so LMBass introduced to more northern ranges might not do as well and follow the rule.

I believe it applies to catfish, too...most any freshwater fish. May be much different for saltwater, though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about YOUR part of the country?

Gene, we have a 200 lb +/- show up here on occasion, but they are not common. About South Texas, Blue (RIO7) weigh all of their deer both before and after gutting so he can clue you in on that area. They also age them and pull jaw bones to send to the state. I do know that the older Bucks that we saw were a lot bigger than the does. After looking at deer down there, I feel that I have seen very few old bucks here, so what I thought was our potential is wrong and we could have much bigger bucks. Won't happen because acreage is too small and not enough people would let them walk long enough to get old. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 10/08/15. Reason: shorted Blue's name by 7

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Guess it depends on where you are in Texas, each year we kill between 330 to 350 Whitetail deer, we weigh each deer live weight and dressed weight, we score every bucks antlers and collect the lower jaw to age them, on does we weigh and collect the lower jaw to age them, and make note if they are lactating or not. when he season is over we know the average weight, age, and score on the deer taken that year.

The weights will be 25% to 30% higher before the breeding season starts, the weights will go down, until the breeding season is over.

Pre-Breeding season we kill does that will weigh 120+ # and bucks that weigh 240+ # The big difference is we don't shoot young deer, we try to take deer that are 5 1/2 years old or older, and we try to take off deer that are poor quality deer no matter their age.

We look at the age of the deer before we judge antler score, our system works for us, it might not work for everyone. Rio7

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.