Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hi Sam,

I will second the Hewescraft vote. I've had a Searunner for years, and really like it. The Hewes is not as nice as a North River or Wooldridge, but is well made, sturdy, and much more reasonably priced. From my experience, I see more wealthy, older guys without kids in the fancier boats (i.e. not me!). Think about what capability you really need. It's kind of like the guy who buys a 1 ton diesel to go to the grocery store and Cabelas. Do you need/can you afford a 1 Ton Dodge Cummins diesel, or will a 1/2 Ton Toyota Tundra work for you? For me, Hewescraft = Toyota.

Mine is used mostly for fishing and crabbing, and also plays double duty with 3 teenagers and friends skiing and tubing on rivers and lakes. Aluminum is the way to go IMO in the PNW. It's great to beach the boat for island camping and cooking up the days catch.

As already discussed, a deep V hull is the ticket for rough water. The same goes for good suspension seats - your back will thank you.

You'll probably want to be in the 18' to 22' range size wise, depending on the size of your family. Mine is an 18' with 90HP, which is plenty for me and uses gas sparingly.

Last edited by sigguy; 10/08/15.
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it will be kept on a trailer, a bare aluminum boat has a lot going for it, except the ride in rough going.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another thought, the extended transom on the Hewes 18ft boat has more inside space then the 20 foot with the wet transom. So you are getting a lot more space even though it's 2' shorter ( in theory) you also get the transom platform with a swim ladder to get in and out, as well as storage for things you don't want inside the boat. Like crab traps, buckets, bumpers, and even an ice chest of some sort.

I never owned an extended transom boat before. With this one I would never own one without an extended transom again! It's especially nice with a fast deceleration and no chance of water coming in over the stern wall/ motor mount. Leaning into it with your thighs while fighting big fish is an added benefit I never imagined as well.

Look at the use of space and the extended transom option close before you choose. Hewes has some very clever designs to use the most of it's space.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Xtraero Boats makes a really nice looking ride.

Their shop is across the street from one of our warehouses. Wandered in one day and am impressed with their boats. Not the typical stretched river sled with a pilot house slapped on.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.