Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I was trying to remove a scope from an old rifle when apparently I used the wrong size allen wrench and stripped the heads of both the screws that secure the top half of the ring to the bottom - it has Burris rings, just like Leupold where you have to twist in the front ring onto the base and the rear rings are windage adjustable.

I don't know if the former owner used loctite on the screws, but they all were TIGHT! I got the screws from the rear ring off with no trouble, but it looks like the front ring screws are hopeless.

Any advice? I'd hate to have to drill out the screws and probably ruin a $40 set of rings.

Last edited by czech1022; 10/11/15.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a little larger Torx bit tapped into the allen head with a mallet.

Swifty
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Great idea! Thanks

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
God I have Allen wrenches!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If someone used the wrong type of LocTite, it may be a good idea to zap the screws with a little heat.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The more recent Burris rings used a Torx head screw not an Allen head. Take a look at the screw using a magnifying glass, if it is a Torx try tapping a Torx head wrench into it while twisting it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They like to keep life interesting by using metric on some and English on others and then Torx for desert.
It pays to have good lighting over your bench. Lol

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What everyone else has pointed out so far, plus the fact that there's a definite difference in the quality of Torx heads. The more expensive (harder) ones are definitely better on stuck Allen screws.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You may need to apply heat via a solder gun to loosen Loctite.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have used a drill bit just slightly larger than the screw shank and carefully drilled down thru the head . Do it slowly until the head just pops off. Once the head is off unless they are lock tighted in place or buggered the screw shanks should back right out with finger pressure.

Last edited by bangeye; 10/17/15.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sometimes a left hand drill bit 'sized appropriately' will take the screw out.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[quote=czech1022

Any advice? I'd hate to have to drill out the screws and probably ruin a $40 set of rings. [/quote]

Google Easy Out tool, and see if there is something of the proper size.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
M
M16 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
If you have access to a drill press. Put the scope on the table portion. Place the allen/torx/easy out bit in the jaws of the chuck. With one hand adjust the chuck down until you have a very tight fit. With the other hand grab the chuck and turn. And of course this is all done by hand without the press running.

Last edited by M16; 10/17/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Google the "easy out" tool? It sent me to Amazon and showed me a "handheld bidet".

Will that work with Torx screws?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If they are not to badly damaged you can put some JB weld on the proper sized wrench and hold it in place with a piece of Styrofoam, leave it set for a day to harden and they will come out.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by M16
If you have access to a drill press. Put the scope on the table portion. Place the allen/torx/easy out bit in the jaws of the chuck. With one hand adjust the chuck down until you have a very tight fit. With the other hand grab the chuck and turn. And of course this is all done by hand without the press running.

This works extremely well for screws with damaged heads, it gives great down pressure and good leverage for breaking the screw loose. By far the most likely solution to the problem. Do use a quality bit, many of the cheaper (Chinese made) bits are soft and the bit will round off which in turns damages the screw head even more.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,333 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.