God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image]

The lungs at the bottom were torn up pretty bad as was the heart. 210 grain 338 TSX Barnes.

Two holes in and two holes out were all about the same size. Chest was full of blood.

Bull did not go over 30 yards.

Last edited by Notropis; 10/14/15.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Notropis
[Linked Image]

That looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John Carpenter's "The Thing".

Scott
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No chit - I was thinking gator, then went with octopus. Still can't tell what the heck it is... grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's a big ole nasty gut pile that's for sure, Moose I guess?
laugh laugh

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It is an elk. I hope to get a gut pile picture of a moose some day.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am always interested in such things..Its just when in the field on a critter that has to be packed out an autopsy kinda takes a back seat..

I shot a bull a few weeks ago with a 30cal 230gr berger, and it was the 3rd time i've seen a berger detonate on the entrance, not the "pin hole" most claim (have seen both)..

I wanted to dive into the body cavity,but Then i fugured the bull went all of 30ft after the shot, so who gives a damn! i have to pack this big bugger out so wernt too worried about the autopsy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No better training for future doctors than to let your kids delve into the entrails of small game.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing noticed a few times over the years is that girls often seem more interested in gutpiles than boys. The first time it happened was when Eileen killed a Shiras moose not far from a road here in in Montana in 1988. We were at our pickup with part of the moose when a Suburban with a family in it stopped. The dad had a moose tag for the area too, and hadn't hunted it, so I gave him some ideas on where to try. (Obviously our spot was "shot out.")

His wife and two kids were along, and the girl was fascinated with the gut-pile, so Eileen gave her a "tour"." The boy didn't seem to have any curiosity about it, and we've seen the same thing a number of times since.

I do have some great photos of Eileen with her arms up to the elbows in the guts of my last moose. She was wearing arm-length rubber gloves, and performed most of the details of the field-dressing (I did the heavy stuff) because part of the reason for the hunt was "experimental" meat for her cookbook SLICE OF THE WILD, detailing everything from field care to recipes. So she wanted not to just oversee the job but do the important cutting herself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing noticed a few times over the years is that girls often seem more interested in gutpiles than boys.

I wonder why that is John?

45 years or so ago, my little sister (4-5 years old) would always come out to the garage sink when I came home with a mess of fish to clean. She enjoyed looking through the stomachs to see what they had eaten. Planted trout with salmon eggs were cool, but she really enjoyed it when they or a largemouth had shad in their "gullets".

Is a "social study" in order. Perhaps a good university could find grant money?

Geno

PS, i thought of her when I cleaned a quail the other day and saw the little tiny lungs. The crop was stuffed too, bet she would have had a blast in there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This is what you want to avoid. You can see the entry damage to the right of the picture where the bullet entered behind the diaphragm. The diaphragm is visible on the left. There was no exit wound, and the gut content way sprayed allover the inside of the abdominal cavity.
[Linked Image]

You can see all the chewed leaves, some corn, and other gut contents all over the guts.

[Linked Image]

This gut-shot buck ran about 30 yards, bedded down in thick cover, and required a second shot to kill. It was shot with a 7/08 using a Hornady spire point bullet by an 11 year old boy. It left almost no blood trail.

Last edited by Notropis; 10/17/15.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I usually have already evaluated bullet performance before I put a knife to the critter.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I dunno, MD... I've seen as many boys interested in gutpiles as girls (we're talking kids here, right?). Of my 3 kids, my younger daughter was definitely more interested--to the point of fascination--with gutpiles, butchering, etc, etc, etc than either her brother or her sister. My sister's 3 kids, however... both nephews went seriously studious over guts, while my niece hurled.

Among experienced hunters, who are mostly men, my guesstimate is that fewer than 20% are seriously interested in the autopsy. Most are strictly business, i.e., get the guts out and get the meat cooled.

It was kinda cool for me to talk about terminal effects on critters with my PH on my recent trip to Zim... John was/is as interested in pullet path, performance, and anatomic/physiologic results as anybody I've met, on a par with my own level of fascination.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
notropis, I appreciate you putting up your pics, please keep on keepin' on in that respect... but you gotta give a bit more of a description of what you're showing us a photo of. Having an item in the photo to give some scale is always useful, as is telling the viewer what organ(s) we're looking at, and from what angle.

Just a suggestion, by way of example:

[Linked Image]

This is a pic of a Cape buffalo heart shot with a .375 cal 300 gr Swift A-frame, the bullet passing from bottom to top of the photo. The knife, the hand, and the toe of the skinner's boot give some idea of scale. If you can identify the anatomic structures for the viewer, so much the better: in this case the right atrium and the top of the right ventricle are near/under the knife's hilt, and you can see how the left atrium was blown out by the bullet along the upper portion of the blade.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
DR, I will certainly keep that in mind. I need to find some of my pictures that are a little more obvious.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pulling out the organs and looking them over helps.

Here the lungs of a very large cow elk with a hole all the way through via a Barnes 6.5mm 127 gr LRX at 450 yds.

[Linked Image]

Here the lung of a yearling cow with a 300 gr Berger Elite Hunter from a 338 Edge hit at 820 yds. The end of the lungs lobe was perforated.

[Linked Image]

Here the external side of a 3x4 mule deer, just behind the front shoulder. This is the exit hole of, again, the 127 LRX, hit at 500 yds.

[Linked Image]

Here the inside rib cage of a mule deer, hit with the 115 gr BT from a 257 Rob @ 100 yds. Broke the ribs going in.

[Linked Image]

Cut through the spine and exited out the other rib cage. That's 3 different sets of bone and the bullet kept going. Deer dropped in it's tracks.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Excellent post thanks for sharing.
I would say those bullets are the real deal too.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.