Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've been using Glocks with factory NS for a long time and never thought I needed anything new/different for personal defense. Fast forward to my latest aquisition - a G19 sporting XS Big Dot NS that I picked up as a partial trade towards a rifle I was selling. At first I wasn't very keen on the "Big Dot" sight but after using them for awhile now I REALLY dig this sight!! Its definitely not a target sight but for fast target aquisition on 1st and/or followup shots, this setup is fantastic and has made a noticible difference on my speed and accuracy. I love the XS ghost-ring sights on my lever-actions and this is definirely one more product from their lineup that I would highly recommend! wink

So what sights are you running and how would you rate them for personal defense?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Plain black Novaks on my autos and whatever S&W sent their revolvers out the door with. Most normally the narrow ramp front and gutter rear on my M36 and or the post on my High Standard derringer I have in my pocket.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I really like the Trijicon HD night sites with the orange front sight. I've got them on several "carry" guns.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Big Dot Tritium is probly the best with Trijicon HD next

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I really like the Trijicon HD night sites with the orange front sight. I've got them on several "carry" guns.

I put these on my Springfield TRP and really like them. Plan to put them on some others when I get around to it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

I'm not sure that A LASER SIGHT wouldn't be the best self defense sight.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I am a big fan of Tru-Glo Day-Glo sights. Nice and large for my aging eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought more sets of Trijicon's then anything else for defensive pistols, Meprolite's come in 2nd!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Glock branded night sights, Meprolights and Trijicons for years and they were all fine. Now that the eyesight is changing at "computer" distance, I have been running TFXs on one gun and they seem to offer the best combination for all lighting conditions. The weird part about the TFX sights is that the top of the front sight is lower than the top of the rear sight if the dots are lined up. It takes some time to get used to the correct sight picture.

I have a Big Dot on a NAA Pug, and I don't think I would want that on a gun to be shot at distance.

I have some HD sights on order for my Glock 43, so I have not had a chance to test drive them yet.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a bit of a learning curve with XS sights, but once you figure them out, you can do some pretty good work with them at any distance you would likely use your pistol for defensive use .... especially if you have visual acuity issues.

I use plain black Heinie's but it's only because I hunt with my carry guns. The express sight design isn't really a proper sight for that purpose.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I don't know about a laser being the best but I do know that showing that red light where a hostile citizen can see it makes them downright negotiable if not friendly.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

` ` ` ` ` *

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wear trifocals and struggle with just about all factory sights and particularily dislike the 3 dot arrangements common on many. I tried the XS Big Dot on a M&P for a while - shot it well initially, but seemed to shoot worse over time which makes no sense to me. I switched to Warren Tacticals and really like them - Trijicon dot front with a single, smaller (more subtle) Trijicon dot rear. I put a Warren all black rear on a 1911 that came with a Trijicon front and like that as well or better. For me, an all black rear with a wider notch so I can see some daylight, and some kind of dot front seems to work. I'm using fiber optic front sights on most of my revolvers for field use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most folks tend to overwork the XS sight system and doing that not only fails to produce a better result, it's actually counterproductive.

The "express" sight configuration was designed to do one thing; get you on large targets quickly at relatively close range. The XS does that extremely well.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what sight system you use as long as you can see your sights. Especially the front sight.

What makes the difference is practice. Practical practice.

No sight compensates for knowing how to shoot and operate your handgun. And where it hits when you do shoot it.

Lots of people spend large amounts of money on sight systems marketed to give a better this or that, or one that they say gives them a no-fail edge.

Their money would be better spent on ammo to practice with, and getting familiar with the operation of the gun they depend on.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Another vote for Trijicon HD's

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love the BIG DOTs. Love 'em.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 41magfan
There's a bit of a learning curve with XS sights, but once you figure them out, you can do some pretty good work with them at any distance you would likely use your pistol for defensive use .... especially if you have visual acuity issues.

I use plain black Heinie's but it's only because I hunt with my carry guns. The express sight design isn't really a proper sight for that purpose.

'visual acuity issues'

Holy [bleep]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by P_Weed

As much as I enjoy shooting a laser, I don't think they're nearly as fast as the Big Dot when fast matters. That being said, I'm very glad my LCP has a laser in case I'd need to aim it! laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always practice point shooing - just in case!
It's also a lot of fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.