Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RGK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I got this one (.38 Special Model 10-8) in '85, from the LAPD Revolver Club. I carried it during the winter months (where the temps in LA would get down to a bone-chilling 50 degrees at night) as my off-duty gun. Summers I reverted back to my 649 or later, my Airweight.

When it was "denutted" (LAPD slang for double action only) I had master LAPD armorer Harry Davis polish the trigger face and smooth the double action slightly. It rode in a old Bianchi high-ride, with a Tyler T and S&W magna stocks. It was a NICE carry gun.

I didn't use it much later in my career because I bought a 442 Airweight for undercover work and just carried the little 442 on and off-duty. Too easy.

Fast-forward to 2015. Retired, lots of time to shoot...took the old 10-8 out, liked it mucho and sent it to S&W for a slick-up and a new hammer, so I could have single action capability again. Master S&W gunsmith Gene did this one just before he retired. It needed a new hand and some other small parts, but now it's REALLY slick. Tight, perfect carry-up, with no end-shake...the ultimate S&W 3". I added a set of my favorite old Pachmayrs and I'll be good to go for another winter's carry.
Bob

Just back from S&W...still a great-looking revolver after a career of crushing crime
[Linked Image]

Trigger face was polished long ago at the LAPD Armory for DA work
[Linked Image]

A new hammer was installed by Gene at S&W, giving me SA capability again. Not really needed, but nice to have
[Linked Image]

What my 10-8 looked like "back in the day"...DAO, Bianchi high-ride, Tyler T and plain magnas. An ultimate cop-carry gun
[Linked Image]

Ready to go again, with an updated DeSantis holster and Pachmayrs. Load is the old LAPD-issued 125 grain +P Remington
[Linked Image]

Oldest daughter doing some DA work, shooting the S&W with wadcutters. An easy and fun revolver to shoot. Also an excellent house gun for the family [Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 10/13/15.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Very nice!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yes!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been shooting a fair bit of 38sp out of my 357 lately.

Everyone should have at least one good 38. (needs to get me a K-38 one of these days)

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Never was an officer, but the revolver is my favorite handgun..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've been shooting a fair bit of 38sp out of my 357 lately.

Everyone should have at least one good 38. (needs to get me a K-38 one of these days)

458 Lott, funny you mention that. I've been doing the same. The trigger on my 686+ is just plain sweet after S&W did a trigger job on it. Too much fun.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I carried essentially that model IWB for years, i.e., a Model 13 (3" bull barrel, round butt) loaded with hot .38 Special. It's definitely my preferred revolver for daily concealed carry. Carries and conceals just fine in a proper holster and belt, so could not much justify switching to a lightweight J-Frame, or even a steel one, as cool as those little guns are. The 13 just shot so much better, and once you get used to it, it's perfectly comfortable to carry all day. Not just comfortable, but also very comforting.

A Glock 17 is even more comfortable, and even more comforting, though, even if far less classy, and even if it lacks that just right feeling in the hand.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love the K-frame round butt 3" guns. There is a cult like following for them for good reasons.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Very cool.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
RGK,

Good to see that there are still committed revolver shooters out there. And a nice, efficient rig too...

Great to see a father teaching their kids how to use a rig--especially so when its a DA revolver.

I recall a pic that you posted awhile back where a daughter was shooting some bullseye too--mighty fine medicine.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still wish I had my Smith Model 15. Paid well under 2 bills for it back in the late 80's. Virtually new.
God that was a sexy revolver.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Revolvers Still Rule!"
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

I've always liked DA revolvers, and not long ago acquired a beautiful like-new S&W Model 19-3.

I didn't care too much for SA revolvers when I was young - but they're probably my favorite now!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
3 inch K frames are a Holy Grail for me. Some day...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by krupp
Still wish I had my Smith Model 15. Paid well under 2 bills for it back in the late 80's. Virtually new.
God that was a sexy revolver.

Found one of those at a gun show 2 years ago. Still looked like new. Cost me more than 2 bills but worth it.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That is a very nice set up. Thanks for sharing the history.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That Smith is straight UBER.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Times have changed with the advent of many outstanding modern semi-autos, but a good revolver full of history still rules the roost in my heart.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RGK: Smith and Wesson Model 10's and I go WAY back (late 1960's when I joined a large west coast PD).
They are reliable and sturdy.
My first Model 10 was also quite accurate (when shot off sandbags!)
It took me two years to qualify high enough (Expert) so's I could then put in a request for an upgrade to a Smith and Wesson Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece?).
I carried that Model 15 for many years until our department (city council actually ok'ed the change) changed over to 357 Magnums.
I then carried Smith & Wesson Model 66's.
Then our department went to all Glock's in 40 S&W.
It was like pulling teeth to get me to switch over from the S&W revolvers to the foreign made semi-auto Glocks but after a couple of years I became a "Glock Believer"!
And after carrying my Glocks both professionally and personally for 25 years now I won't go back!
Revolvers are still reliable and sturdy and fun but the amazing firepower and reliability of the modern semi-autos (especially the Glocks!) for "life protection", revolvers, now take a back seat to them.
By coincidence two of my friends in the last couple of months sought out and bought Smith & Wesson 2" Model 10's - and they were NOT cheap!
I remember when Smith & Wesson Model 10's on the used market were $40.00 to $50.00.
Those days are long gone - of course I also remember my first Smith & Wesson Model 60 costing me $95.00 new.
So I disagree with your contention "revolvers still rule" - they are reliable, accurate, increasing in value and prideful to own but Glocks now rule for most useages.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
RGK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
RGK: Smith and Wesson Model 10's and I go WAY back (late 1960's when I joined a large west coast PD).
They are reliable and sturdy.
My first Model 10 was also quite accurate (when shot off sandbags!)
It took me two years to qualify high enough (Expert) so's I could then put in a request for an upgrade to a Smith and Wesson Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece?).
I carried that Model 15 for many years until our department (city council actually ok'ed the change) changed over to 357 Magnums.
I then carried Smith & Wesson Model 66's.
Then our department went to all Glock's in 40 S&W.
It was like pulling teeth to get me to switch over from the S&W revolvers to the foreign made semi-auto Glocks but after a couple of years I became a "Glock Believer"!
And after carrying my Glocks both professionally and personally for 25 years now I won't go back!
Revolvers are still reliable and sturdy and fun but the amazing firepower and reliability of the modern semi-autos (especially the Glocks!) for "life protection", revolvers, now take a back seat to them.
By coincidence two of my friends in the last couple of months sought out and bought Smith & Wesson 2" Model 10's - and they were NOT cheap!
I remember when Smith & Wesson Model 10's on the used market were $40.00 to $50.00.
Those days are long gone - of course I also remember my first Smith & Wesson Model 60 costing me $95.00 new.
So I disagree with your contention "revolvers still rule" - they are reliable, accurate, increasing in value and prideful to own but Glocks now rule for most useages.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree...the statement was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Notice I was discussing "off-duty" when I mentioned the M10. If I were back in patrol, I'd carry a 9mm and a bunch of ammo on my belt. The day of the revolver for general police work is long-past. When we transitioned to autos in the late '80's, I was happy to carry a Beretta 92 and 45+ extra rounds on my gunbelt. More ammo is always better when you're a street cop.

I carry a 2" .38 in retirement now; same gun I carried for UC work in LA. It was easily concealed and I was never "made". I don't feel under-gunned in retirement. A Glock 17 would end up mostly in the glove-box now; having a gun actually on you is the 1st rule of gunfighting.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 10/14/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Step-mother has my Dad's Mod 10 that I will get some day in the hopefully distant future.

Good shooting guns.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,281 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.