-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of brand, I think simplicity is key. Get something that just takes pictures. Use other implements for viewing and such. With too many bells and whistles, something is bound to go to Hell.

1Minute
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Cuddebacks are over priced crap BT/DT

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like Primos is owned by Bushnell since 2012. Didn't know that.

PS: Was about to push the trigger on a Cuddeback last month and then read the reviews on it. Holy crud... to say they were hated was an understatement.

Last edited by Calhoun; 10/15/15.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have had Moultries and they used to be good. Now they seem like junk , although I have been buying the A5 ? for 63 bucks. I have a Reconyx for 4 years now and no problems at all. Rechargables batteries are good to -12F. The night pics are grainy though. I payed $450 plus tax though. The thing I like best is I dont go to check the sd card and find out it died the day after I put it 1/2 mi back in the brush and left it there all summer. One Moultire stopped taking night pics, one doesn't use the flash unless it is dark and I get lots of shadowy pics.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bushnell Trophy cam works very well for me. Gots 2 of them.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
dan go to trail cam pro. good company.

cuddebacks suck
moultre sucks bushnell so-so
primos sucks
browning so far ok

FJB
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GregW
Tried Bushnell trophy cams Dan? These are all I use....

The bushnell black flash is all I try to use... so far so good.

Only had one that went a couple years and then had an issue, and it still works just doesn't count number of pictures...

They were out when I needed anotehr so bought a moultrie... damn thing downloads pics on the ipad way funny, and have to go to slide show to display them normally... won't be buying them again...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think long term success with cheap trail cams is the exception. The guts of the inexpensive cameras are the same or similar and made by the same 12 yr old chinese kids and are all in the process of dying as soon as the plastic wrapper is removed. To the manufacturers these cameras are disposable.

$400+ cameras to strap to a tree are out of the question for me

I had an old Cuddeback that took beautiful pics for many years but when it eventually died it was replaced by a POS Cuddeback. After a few conversations with the female ogres at Cudde customer service I just tossed it under a running brush hog. (yes, it felt good)

I've got a box of Primos and other cheap cameras that have died.

I've now come to the conclusion I don't need trail cams to enjoy my hunting. I'm not an outfitter, I'm not a trophy hunter looking for a specific deer. Since I hunt the same general areas every year I was using them strictly out of curiosity to see what was in the neighborhood. Most pics were a bunch of squirrels, crows, coyotes, bobcats, maybe a hog, blowing leaves, of course plenty of does and fawns with occasional bucks until November then more bucks. The expense, time and aggravation just isn't worth it any more. I'm going to hunt regardless of the trail cam photos. I move my stands based on what I see, not camera pics. Plus with the money I've saved I've paid for my non-resident elk tags.

rost: is there really a "shack outside La Grange"?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Natchezss has the Primos Proof Cam 02 and Proof Cam 03 on sale, AND there's a $30 rebate if you purchase by Sunday (10/18).

So the Proof Cam 02, which usually sells for $129.99 or $119.99 is $89.99 before the $30 rebate = $59.99 plus shipping. The Proof Cam 03 is $109.99 before the rebate, so $79.99 plus shipping.

The reviews on these are great, the 02 is a low glow, the 03 is no glow. I ordered an 02. Rebate is one per person, but up to 5 per household. Probably have to do multiple purchases and pay multiple shipping to get multiple rebates, but I think every wife wants one. grin

Trailcampro.com has the trigger speeds for pictures rated at 0.22 and 0.2 seconds and with great pictures both day and night.

http://www.trailcampro.com/primosproofcam02review.aspx
http://www.trailcampro.com/primosproofcam03review.aspx

I don't have one, just passing along what seems like a great price. I'll have $72 into the 02 after the rebate for a 12MP trailcam with very fast trigger and great pics. If it only lasts 3 years, so be it - still seems a great value.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Good luck with it lasting 3 years

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LostArra
I think long term success with cheap trail cams is the exception. The guts of the inexpensive cameras are the same or similar and made by the same 12 yr old chinese kids and are all in the process of dying as soon as the plastic wrapper is removed. To the manufacturers these cameras are disposable.

$400+ cameras to strap to a tree are out of the question for me

I had an old Cuddeback that took beautiful pics for many years but when it eventually died it was replaced by a POS Cuddeback. After a few conversations with the female ogres at Cudde customer service I just tossed it under a running brush hog. (yes, it felt good)

I've got a box of Primos and other cheap cameras that have died.

I've now come to the conclusion I don't need trail cams to enjoy my hunting. I'm not an outfitter, I'm not a trophy hunter looking for a specific deer. Since I hunt the same general areas every year I was using them strictly out of curiosity to see what was in the neighborhood. Most pics were a bunch of squirrels, crows, coyotes, bobcats, maybe a hog, blowing leaves, of course plenty of does and fawns with occasional bucks until November then more bucks. The expense, time and aggravation just isn't worth it any more. I'm going to hunt regardless of the trail cam photos. I move my stands based on what I see, not camera pics. Plus with the money I've saved I've paid for my non-resident elk tags.

rost: is there really a "shack outside La Grange"?

ZZTOP played our county fair here in September for the first time ever...

Nephew passes the property on the way to and from town every day... There is nothing much left there anymore, I know where its at casue there are some bee boxes at that area nowdays.

We just got a UTV in our fire dept yesterday.... The back tailgate has a sticker says protectign the chicken ranch since 1866... I about spit out the water I was drinking when I saw that.

It was there for sure. Most towns had em. There were some in the general area for quite a few years after Marvin Zindler came up and muddled around here.

Back to cameras, I"m not a trophy hunter per say, as I kill more culls than anything but I do like to manage the herd like it should be IMHO. The cameras let me know whats going on all year round and what needs to be shot if anything.

Generally the largest bucks of the year are nocturnal by season openers... so its just a luck thing if I get to harvest one of them, and I don't really care if I do or not. But for us, we have up to 20 bucks on 100 acres all summer due to food plots and feeders, and by Oct 1, we generally loose 50% or more as tehy start roaming as we have very few does permanent around.

The cameras are fun for me. I know when I need to take out a few yotes and coons and such when the numbers get high.

And all this while working a job and living a crazy life, not making time to get to sit and watch much like I would like to.

we use em in AK too... helps be in more places than one at a time. Get some neat pics sometimes... first pics of a wolf ever this fall, and first ever of grizz... ones at night that we'd have never had a chance to get other wise.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have not used any of the newer Cuddebacks, the ones we have are the older "classic" version. About $159 new. Most are 3-4 years old and still taking great photos. We bought one new Cuddeback that was more expensive and it was not as good so the new cameras that we have bought are the Bushnell

Our older ones are like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/trail-cameras-feeders/trail-cameras-accessories%7C/pc/104791680/c/104767380/sc/103867380/cuddeback-reg-seen-game-camera/1611930.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrail-cameras-accessories%2Fcuddeback%2F_%2FN-1100176%2B1000003160%2FNe-1000003160%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103867380%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by rost495

The cameras are fun for me. I know when I need to take out a few yotes and coons and such when the numbers get high.

I agree 100% on the fun but for me the headache of poor quality/expense just overwhelmed the fun.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bushnells and Moutries are great values and work very well.

Cuddybacks are all marketing bullshit, I tried a multi-hundred dollar model and when it started messing up they couldn't have give less of a [bleep].

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a Primos Proof 03 about 4 months ago. So far, so good. Daylight pictures are very sharp while night pictures are not real clear. Battery life in video mode seems to eat batteries.

Are all SD cards created equal?

Jim
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have had a few Primos Truth Cams and I'm done with them as of Sunday. The last one, a 46, died sometime between last week and this past Sunday. I have 51 pictures, with no time, or date stamp after the first one. Then it quit taking pics all together after two days. Batteries are new. It wouldn't read the SD card after the 2nd day either.

I have been using Wildgame cams and they're good so far. one is new, and one is on it's 2nd season.

They don't seen to take as nice of pics as the Primos 46 but they work as advertised.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
FYI Covert cameras are JUNK don't bother with them now the customer service sucks as well, They had me send in a camera for replacement and now refuse and if I didn't contact them about it they I;d never know. Then lie to me about the situation,one person tells me they didn't have my number then the next tells me they tried to call me but couldn't reach me.
Every camera I got from them has broke in short order

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The wildgames are good for about 2 years then they go bad also! had 2 of the worked great for about 2 seasons, then will only sometime work!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
FYI Covert cameras are JUNK don't bother with them now the customer service sucks as well, They had me send in a camera for replacement and now refuse and if I didn't contact them about it they I;d never know. Then lie to me about the situation,one person tells me they didn't have my number then the next tells me they tried to call me but couldn't reach me.
Every camera I got from them has broke in short order

I second this. I will never buy a Covert camera again. They SUCK and there customer service sucks also.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.