Print Thread
Hop To
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 99 chevy 2500 suburban 4x4 with the 7.4-4:10 rear. I use this for hunting and hauling. Is there a locker out there that will fit this truck? Is the g80 a good choice?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I dunno what diff the 99 has, but I'm guessing it's a 14 bolt semi floater. the G80 has it's fans and it's haters, but was the factory limited slip option.

in a long wheel base and automatic trans, I like the Detroit locker. they require a slight change to driving habits, but they work every time. IMO, the only step up from a Detroit Locker would be an ARB selectable locker.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The G80 is a LSD and not a real locker. It's better than an open diff but there are better LSDs out there. You probably don't need a true locker.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, the G80 *is* a true locker, however it locks and unlocks itself under certain speed/slip conditions. It is not a limited slip diff, it actually locks. You can search old threads to fnd more on this, including a video by Eaton. Most folks like to pile on the anti G80 bandwagon, but the truth is for the average outdoorsman the G80 functions very well. I'm not sure I would retrofit a truck with one over other choices, but I wouldn't tear one out of a daily driver to put in something 'better'.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Is it? Or isn't it??

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A locker locks the axles under normal driving and unlocks when needed. It is mostly locked all the time. The times it unlocks would be normal driving around curves and such. That's why they are a bit tricky to drive. You will feel and hear it when it locks and unlocks.

A LSD does not lock until one tire begins to spin a certain speed faster than the other. You usually can't tell when it's locking up under normal driving conditions. That is exactly how the G80 works. Other than selectable lockers, I don't know of anyone who sells a vehicle with a true locker in it. I'd hate to see the soccer mom accident rate if they did.

Here is a video that explains how the G80 works:

This is Eatons explanation:
During normal driving conditions, the MLocker functions as a light-bias limited slip differential. When a low-traction situation occurs that causes a wheel speed difference greater than 100 RPM, a flyweight mechanism opens to engage a latching bracket. The stopped flyweight triggers a self-energizing clutch system, forcing a cam plate to ramp against a side gear. Cam plate ramping will continue to increase until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip. When the need for improved traction is gone - unlocking occurs automatically and the differential resumes normal operation.

For comparison, this is Eatons description of a true locker:
Detroit Locker

The Detroit Locker is a 100%-automatic locking differential that provides ultimate traction for mild to extreme vehicle applications. Its unique, bullet-proof design is engineered to keep both wheels in drive mode - even is one wheel is lifted off the ground.

Operation
During straight-line driving, the Detroit Locker captures 100% of available torque and sends it equally to both wheels. In turns and maneuvers, the internal components unlock to allow one wheel to spin faster or slower as necessary (free wheel). When the vehicle returns to a straight-line driving path, the components re-engage and provide power to both wheel ends.

Bottom line, if the truck already has the G80, great unless you really need a locker. If it doesn't have a G80, there are far better choices unless it's free. The ones I've had worked pretty well for normal driving until the clutches wear out.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think you guys are arguing semantics. The G80 is a true locker in the sense that it does fully lock and provide equal torque to both wheels. Most LSD do not provide equal torque to both wheels.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not trying to argue, and yes it is semantics. To me, a locker is a device that never allows one tire to turn slower than the ring gear. It unlocks to allow a tire to free spin faster than the ring gear, for example the outside tire when going around a curve. A limited slip allows tires to turn slower than the ring gear (or not at all) and requires one tire to spin free before mechanically sending power to the other tire. The G80 is the second type.

Either way it matters not to me if you have one or don't. I've had two and have no complaints. They do not provide traction like a true locker and for the most part on a daily driver that's a good thing. If I had a truck that had one, I'd be happy. If I was looking to upgrade an open diff, the G80 would not be at the top of the list of what I would put in.

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 10/16/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I think you guys are arguing semantics. The G80 is a true locker in the sense that it does fully lock and provide equal torque to both wheels. Most LSD do not provide equal torque to both wheels.

This is what I was trying to convey but didn't quite get it out. It is not a selectable locker nor is it a full- time locker, but it is a locker (as opposed to a limited slip diff).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K1500
Actually, the G80 *is* a true locker, however it locks and unlocks itself under certain speed/slip conditions. It is not a limited slip diff, it actually locks. You can search old threads to fnd more on this, including a video by Eaton. Most folks like to pile on the anti G80 bandwagon, but the truth is for the average outdoorsman the G80 functions very well. I'm not sure I would retrofit a truck with one over other choices, but I wouldn't tear one out of a daily driver to put in something 'better'.

Excellent post....

[Linked Image]

I've had one break, but I also know I'm hard on vehicles. Good thing they are easy to replace.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.