Campfire Greenhorn
That A7 - I want!!!

HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by False_Cast
Whittled it down to the Hawkeye All Weather 30-06 and the Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow Stainless 30-06...

Am I good with either? If they were the same price, would the M70 be the clear winner? Whichever one I get will be wearing a McMillan by next fall.
Since price isn't an issue and stock fit is a non-issue since you're buying a McMillan, I'd pick the M70 only because I'm not a fan of the current M77 SS finish. That said, you can't go wrong with either and my cabinet has more Ruger's than Winchesters by a good bit.

If price were an issue, I'd buy the Ruger all day every day for the value alone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both. M70 for me.

Whichever way you go, I'd like to know how it turns out - I'll be doing the same thing this winter.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Might as well check out a Cooper Excalibur!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You should consider a Weatherby MK V stainless, 6 lug; if you can find one. Love my 7mm-08.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks everyone for your input.

After handling a few rifles and doing a bunch of reading, I couldn't pass up Darrik's deal so I have an M77 Hawkeye All-Weather 30-06 en route from Whittaker's. Darrik and Ben were fantastic to deal with. I will be going back to them, without a doubt.

With the smoking deal I got, I already have a solid head start on a Montana in some short action flavor.

I'm happy to have this Hawkeye on its way. It's exactly what I was looking for.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
False cat, while I'm a huge fan of the Ruger, I don't think you can get a McMillan for it with the edge fill due to the angled action screw. Could be wrong, but heard that while they do make a stock for the MKIIs and Hawkeyes, they are standard fill.

John

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by john843
False cat, while I'm a huge fan of the Ruger, I don't think you can get a McMillan for it with the edge fill due to the angled action screw. Could be wrong, but heard that while they do make a stock for the MKIIs and Hawkeyes, they are standard fill.

John

I read that as well, John. I probably hunt and shoot a bit with the factory tupperware and see about replacing it with a McMillan then. I think a Montana is in my eventual future so if I want to go light, I'll have that going for me; which is nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MNDan.... It is a sweet rifle. Haven't loaded for it yet. Been having fun shooting factory fodder and cutting the same holes... smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FC, The Ruger fac. Tupperware is definitely at the top of the heap as far as inj. molded stocks go. I've got 3 Hawkeyes and MKIIs and have had no reason to change them from the fac. syns. My most accurate rifle is a Hawkeye All Weather 7mm08 that has had nothing done to it but relieve about 1/16th" off the bottom of the mag box.

John

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by john843
FC, The Ruger fac. Tupperware is definitely at the top of the heap as far as inj. molded stocks go. I've got 3 Hawkeyes and MKIIs and have had no reason to change them from the fac. syns. My most accurate rifle is a Hawkeye All Weather 7mm08 that has had nothing done to it but relieve about 1/16th" off the bottom of the mag box.

John

John, I appreciate the insight. I had an underlying impression of Ruger as durable but inaccurate; maybe because I've never researched their centerfires and recall notoriously inaccurate stock 10/22's with barrel bands and 10# triggers.

I'm excited about the prospect of the Hawkeye, though. Ultralight was never the goal; I just wanted a tough-as-nails reliable all-weather 30-06 bolt gun. The more I read, the more I'm convinced I made the right choice. Looking at a Timney before it arrives.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FC, I would strongly suggest trying the gun with the fac. LC6 trigger before spending the money on the Timney. You may decide to spend it elsewhere:)

John

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Ruger trigger is easy to improve. These instructions get you where you want to be:

http://centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

If you don't want to mess with it, several gunsmiths do the work. HiredGun on here has jigs set up especially for the Ruger trigger. His website is:

www.straightshootersupply.com

I'd investigate these two options before buying a Timney, I've gone the Timney route in the past and they require some minor fitting (at least mine did?).

I prefer a tuned Ruger trigger over anything aftermarket for the rifle.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One other comment....

When you get the rifle, I'm sure you'll take it out of the stock and clean it up before firing. When you put it back in the stock;

1. Tighten the angled action screw TIGHT....tight enough to make any farmer happy.
2. Tighten the rear action screw to 40-45 pounds.
3. Tighten the middle action screw just enough so it won't back out -- just barely snug.

After you get it all back together, open the floor plate. Stick a couple finger in the mag box and make sure you can jiggle it a tad. As long as it has a little movement you're good to go...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't found it necessary to float my synthetic Rugers but I do polish up the triggers with my Dremel and Cratex polishing wheels, followed by assembly with a tiny bit of Teflon grease on all contact parts. Makes a nice difference. One thing I like about the Ruger triggers is how easy they are to work on.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another thing you may notice is that the bolt doesn't cycle as smooth as some at first. This is easily fixed by sitting in front of the TV one night and just cycling it fully for 100-200 times. I've done this with 3 SS Hawkeyes and now they're as smooth as my FN Mod.70. Also, what SAS said about the mag box is important. If it's tight you usually just need to file a tiny bit off the two rear feet of the box where it straddles the floorplate tab. A 1/16th or so will do it.

John

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mr. Falsecast: In comparing the Ruger and Winchester, I believe you will find that the Winchester will be noticeably smoother working out of the box and probably forever, although the Ruger will improve over time. Another minor point, but one that's frustrating to some: both actions have the excellant 3 position safety that blocks the firing pin vs. just a trigger safety that most bolt rifles have. However, the Ruger safety lever, while in the same place as the Winchester and functionally similar, is noticeably shorter than the M70 making it a bit less convenient to grasp, especially with cold weather gloves. You might want to play with each safety with gloves on just to get a feel of this difference.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FC, Don't know if you will be using fac. ammo or not, but either way, all of the Hawkeyes I have and the two I've given to my BIL and nephew all love the Hornaday Interlocks. 150gr. in the .308 and 30-06 and 139gr. in the 7MM08s. They worked so well that I actually have not bothered to try anything else.

John

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by False_Cast
Help me pick a stainless/synthetic 30-06. I'm set on those details.

Rifles I'm considering: Savage 116 w/ hinged floorplate, FN Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow/SS, and Montana Rifle Co. X2. (pretty much in order of increasing cost and weight). I've never handled the MRC X2 but I have the other two. M70 feels nicer than the 116 but accuracy rep is on the side of the latter. MRC wins with my preferred features but reviews seems inconsistent and it's the heaviest.

I'll be putting a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest with Talley LW's atop this rig. I already have the glass so that's set. It'll be my main hunting rifle for northern U.S. and Ontario whitetails, black bear, eventually elk and hopefully someday moose.

Further info: I don't think I could love a gun as ugly as the Tikka no matter how accurate. No offense to those who do love them. Also, I think the Kimber Montana will be too light. Doesn't sound fun to shoot, though this will be a hunting gun. I don't live or hunt in the mountains as of right now. I'm sure I'll get one eventually, though.

Yes I've used the search function... that's how I got to these three. Am I missing any obvious answers? Is it a tossup?

I need me an '06.

In a similar place as you and leaning towards a Sako Finnlight. I like the idea of the Kimber as well but want something a tad heavier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
False_Cast I think you'll be happy with the Ruger, I sure am with mine!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.