Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep, they absolutely will not cut in the NF. A number of years ago there was a tornado that came through out hunting area near park falls. It was in the NF, of course.

I talked to a forest ranger about the litterally $100k'S of timber laying just in our area to be easy pickings for loggers. She said that it will never be touched by loggers.

If it could be guaranteed that no one would be hurt a fire would do a lot of good in some of the NF's.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by thomasgajan
well i stopped counting decades ago, several hundred i guess

I wasn't going to respond not wanting to be seen as a braggart but...

I also haven't been counting for quite a while but I know it's North of 100. I began deer hunting in 1972 and have not missed a single season.

I also have hunted La, Miss, & Al where the yearly bag limit WAS 5-6 or more per year.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
these are pretty good guesses, I have most kill tags, just over 360 total in my life, approx 150 of those with a bow.

Last edited by headhunter130; 12/29/15.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I shot numbers 88 and 89 this season. Most of my early hunting was done in CO and I was limited to 1 a season for a long time.

Last edited by Pirate; 12/29/15.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Looking at everybody who has responded and their location will give a clue as to why you see some of what I consider to be large numbers of deer taken in a lifetime.

Most of the respondents are from the East, Midwest, South. Amazing to hear that some have "unlimited" take for does or even limits that are greater than 1

I would say that in the Western states, and I'm speaking of NM, the limit is 1 mature buck. And that's considering if you are even lucky enough to be drawn for a tag in the lottery system we have. We just don't have the deer numbers that you see in the east and south. I'm always amazed at the number of deer I see as road kill in those areas.

Unless you are very lucky in our draw, own some or have access to private land, or have a boatload of cash to buy a mule deer tag on private land, the number killed will be less than 1 per year as my guess. That's what it is for me.

Hell, I've been on deer hunts where no one even sees a buck to shoot in a short 3 to 5 day season...another issue.

This certainly hugely effects the numbers for sure! Obviously.

YOu are not like us, I see legal shooter bucks almost every day out of my kitchen window. But I don't have big beautiful mountains to gaze at either...

we have pretty big limits in TX, especially after management came along. But never the numbers of other states that basically have one deer a day or so as a limit.

But then again, one big mule deer buck might give as much meat as 2 or more of ours. Maybe even 3-4 small does. And one elk.. well.. or one moose..

In the end its amazing, what numbers a hardcore hunter puts up.. Counting deer only I was over 100 with a bow only, when I decided keeping track was stupid. That wasn't counting pigs and javelina...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
At last count, I have just gone over 5,000 deer.

I really love this Hunting Unlimited software app. I usually choose the .280 rifle option, but occasionally will use the bow or handgun. Most of what I shoot are in the upper echelon of trophy class, which really adds to the challenge of computer hunting.

It's about time for lunch now, I think we are having real venison roast today.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunted deer for the first time in 1982 and shot my first the next year. I've shot 44 more since, not many compared to many other hunters, but I've been lucky enough to have hunted in four states. I didn't hunt a couple seasons and didn't score a few others, but I'm still averaging well over one per season over 3 decades + which means I've eaten a lot of venison smile

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In 28 yrs of hunting, I've got to be nearing the century mark. I've killed most with a bow the last 10yrs, my favorite way to hunt. Killing just isn't what it's about any more...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hmm how many deer....I can't count that high
Killed 6 this season and it was a down year

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn

I really love this Hunting Unlimited software app. I usually choose the .280 rifle option, but occasionally will use the bow or handgun. Most of what I shoot are in the upper echelon of trophy class, which really adds to the challenge of computer hunting.

laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I killed my first deer 35 years ago and have killed from 2 to 5 every year since. I have stopped at 3 since the children grew up. 3 feeds us for a year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my goal is to kill something with every weapon that i use.this year i've killed with my crossbow,50cal,45 cal and 270. i've killed 5 total.we used to get crop damage tags and each of use would kill a dozen or so on them,plus our regular tags. 15-20 a season was normal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on about a 5 year dry spell. I'd be happy just to take a deer-any legal deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Missouri, there is an app now that shows checked deer back to 2009. I've checked 27 since then. Before that, I was averaging around 3 a year, so a conservative estimate is 75 or so.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
7 multiple years and IIRC one year 8. That'd be NY & PA.....

Typically 5-6.

This year I came up short.....4 (2b 2D) in NYS. Zip in PA.

Total in all my years, 75B and 76D (+/- 1 or 2)

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 12/30/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn

It's about time for lunch now, I think we are having real venison roast today.....

I think I used to play Deer Hunter 2003 or something like that and I too preferred the .280 rifle. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm on about a 5 year dry spell. I'd be happy just to take a deer-any legal deer.

Same here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With several years of unlimited archery and rifle doe I'm actually embarrassed to say what my numbers could be.....but I have slowed down these past couple years

Maturing in my later years plus a massive die off a couple years ago has brought me down to normal pre unlimited numbers

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted for 51 years now. Started out with a 30 carbine and shot my first one (a doe) that year at about 50 yards. I grew up hunting on a ranch just north of Austin that had a real problem with population. Local GW told the land owner he needed to take 200 doe a year off of the place and being a little kid, I was happy to help.
By the time I was 17, I had taken just over 200 deer. Most in one day was 15. I quit counting after that but I'd guess around 300-400 or so not counting Mulie's, elk etc.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can remember when they had the first deer season, where I grew up. 3 days, Fri-Sun, and everyone said there wouldnt be a deer left for next year. That was in the mid '60's.

I'm gonna have to guess, but somewhere around 200. When the kids were at home, it took 6 a year to feed the family. Now that they are grown-n-gone, 3 will feed the wife and I.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.