Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
ghost Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I ask because I see statements like "a truck load", etc., but here in Maryland we're allowed to kill 40 deer a year, and in some counties, if does, unlimited with a bow. But I don't know anyone, well maybe one, who's killed that many altogether. Back when I started hunting deer, 1959, there were only 1200 deer killed in the whole state. I got one of them. Back then HAD to be a buck and only one a year. Over time the herd built and are almost considered vermin now.

So, anyway, am wondering where guys are hunting and how well they've done, and how many deer/elk, etc. are you allowed there. PA, just north of us has a 350,000 deer killed, and about 3000 bear. The 3000 bear killed in 3 day bear season, but some also killed during deer season. Baiting, running with dogs, etc., illegal up there. Indeed, PA says to shoot any dog(s) you see chasing game. PA also has 60,000 deer a year killed on the roads.

Ghost
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some of us are old enough that 40 could still be less than one per year. frown

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed well over 40, probably a multiple or two of that. In my state, I could legally kill over 400 per year, and that's without going into any damage or DMAP tags.

In NC, many zones have a no-daily, no-season limit on deer; shoot as many as you want (extra "bonus" tags are cheap). I've hunted there as well, and killed a pile.

Most ever in one year? 17. That's hunting and not depredation work. Killing deer on depredation tags? I have no idea how many, but it was a lot and anywhere from 25-40 or more per season of "work".

Last edited by 4ager; 10/26/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ghost,

I most I have ever heard of a Maryland hunter killing in one
season was 17, my best year was 8 and that was enough.

I had friends that did a cull hunt during the January 2 day firearms season that killed 42 deer in one morning in Montgomery County. They stopped shooting at 11:00 am and took the rest of the day to get all the deer out of the woods. They donated all the deer to feed the hungry,

Doc

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ghost: I am not into "quantity" I am much more interested in "quality" Hunting!
I have a nice Antelope in my freezer already and have about 5 more weeks to harvest a Deer and/or an Elk in Montana here.
That will be at least "enough" meat in our freezers for the next years useages.
I hold no quarrel with those that can shoot and eat 40 Deer per year.
If Deer are so prevalent that the limits are at 40 per year per Hunter then I say get after'em and make sure the herds stay within bounds and healthy.
I love venison but to eat 40+ Deer per year I don't think that fits into my lifestyle/needs/wants.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The most deer I've ever shot in one year was 5. Where I currently live I believe you could legally kill about 300 between bow/ML/rifle season (3 doe a day, 3 bucks per season).

I'm not big on donating game meat to anyone that I don't know and only to those that I do know will eat it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last year was my biggest yet with 5. I average 2-3 and been deer hunting about 8 seasons now. I figure around 20 total for me. We're bad overpopulated around here too so limits aren't really enforced.

I consider myself more of a shooter than hunter. I don't get excited about putting out the game cameras and food plots and such. Chasing after the big bucks isn't really my thing, although I'll gladly shoot a big one if he shows up. I love venison and I hunt for that purpose and to test my shooting skills that I've worked on the rest of the year.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I usually have just one, sometimes two tags per year and generally fill that first tag, but not always the second. That puts me way down on the list of total deer taken, but I always seem to have plenty of venison in the freezer and not wanting more.

G
ghost Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Some good responses here and glad to see them. I have one or two guys who shoot quite a few deer, or last time I talked to them did, and donate them to Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry. I knew the Carolinas had a long season and had seen pretty much 1 a day for 3 months, that's a bunch of deer. One of the guys I know would love to get into the cull hunting, as we hunt over in the Montgomery county area at times. I don't see trail cameras and food plots as being part of hunting, just like shooting from trees. But I guess some do.

Steelhead, do they have a Farmers and Hunters organization where you live? they're a good organization, and happy to get the meat.

VarmintGuy, I knew a guy who moved out there, but up north, forget the name, darn, something Falls, and he took out all the tickets he could for several years, and shot deer that he then donated to the Social Services people to give to needy families. I'm like you, prefer a challenging hunt to quantity, I've sure not killed any 40 deer a year, or anywhere near that. Haven't killed 40 in my whole life.

Will be coming back to see the answers. A friend in Nevada said they can only get a deer tag, every third year there.

Ghost
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The most I have killed while hunting in a year was 13. I have killed 125 in the 41 years I have been deer hunting.

Perry

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
At one time I was a member of clubs in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas at the same time. Went from lease to lease as I filled my tags in each state.

All this meat went to family and friends. I worked at hemodialysis clinics at this time and also passed out meat to the patients and employees.

Have no idea how many I killed. Stopped counting sometime in the early '90s at 100. Hunted deer until 2011.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've lived near the coast of California all of my life. You can get 2 tags per year. Been hunting over 50 years. In that time there were less than 5 years that I didn't get a deer, a few years only 1 and most years 2 deer. So I have tagged a little less than 100. Depredation I would take 15-20 in an afternoon so overall who knows?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've killed 44 deer with rifle, 32 with bow, 15 with muzzleloader and 2 with pistol for a total of 93 deer in 31 years of hunting. The biggest year total for me was 8 deer in one year about 16-17 years ago. That year I got 4 deer with my bow, 2 with rifle and 2 with muzzleloader. These past couple of years we have been limited to one antlerless tag for rifle season and I usually end up with 3 or 4 deer total between rifle and bow.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hunt in Montgomery Co. I haven't shot anything yet this year. I think I have a coyote problem. The does have kind of left the area I think. I've passed up 3 spikes, a 4 point, a 6 point and a couple of Bambie's. I had a coyote hanging around two weeks ago, but he disappeared and couldn't get a shot with the crossbow. I killed one last year and Saturday night I heard one making some really weird noises, but I never saw it.

Last year, I killed 11. For the past 15 years I've averaged about 12 per year. About five years ago, one of my employees killed 23. The most I've ever killed in one year was 16. I've gotten more selective, I get sick of cutting meat, then I just donate them.

For those of you that know him, Roof got a nice 10 point Saturday night. I got a text from him about 1/2 hour after I got in my stand.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here in La we get 6 whitetail tags per season, 3 doe/3 buck or 2 buck/4 doe. In addition you can get deer management tags(doe tags) if your property is enrolled in the program. I hunt multiple properties, one of which is in DMAP, so I get 8 tags per season. Combine that with tags from other states and it's easy to get more than one needs for sure. I used to punch nearly all of my tags, but have gotten more selective in recent years. I don't keep count, but would have to guess I've killed 150 whitetail and probably over 100 of other species.

You have to consider season length in addition to tags. Here in La we can hunt from Oct 1 through Jan 31 and most of that is rifle. I wouldn't expect to kill near as many in states with short seasons.

Good luck this season,

loder

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Iv been hunting 43 years, have taken about 100 deer, never kept count, took 5 one year and 4 a couple of times, now I try to take 2-3 as we eat vension most of the time!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've been hunting 34 years this season. We can kill 9 a year plus what I've shot in Arkansas...so probably between 250-275.
The vast majority with a 308 and soft point cup and core bullets.
I've been slowing down though. Maybey 4-5 a year now days. My daughter just started so I'll just let her take up my slack.

Last edited by ringworm; 10/26/15.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no idea, probably only a 100 or so, but I've only been hunting 23 years. my "best" year was 13 deer. I've only killed 12 elk and probably 25-30 antelope. haven't really counted. as long as the freezer has meat in it year round I'm happy and mama's happy. we used to fill 2 frezers every fall and condense into 1 about july. since we started canning a lot of our game we only run 1 freezer, though we have probably 150 jars of meat on the shelf in the pantry. when you have 2 kids who love venison it goes quickly!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I started in MD a few years after you and remember the low kill totals and the old rules. Things are sure different now!

I stopped counting a while back, but figure it's somewhere between 40 and 50 or so. I started hunting in Charles County, prime territory, but I wasn't a very good hunter and made a lot of mistakes. Too bad really, as the deer there were bigger than in any place I've hunted since. As soon as we were able, my brother and I started hunting in PA so we could use rifles, but it wasn't until the 80s, when a family friend moved to a 18th century farm at Gettysburg that we started taking deer on a regular basis. That farm, just across the road from the Eisenhower farm, was a real packing plant. There were a lot of deer, and as a hobby farm, at least half of it was brush and hardwoods, divided by Marsh Creek. Great stuff.

Our friend had to sell the place in the early 90s, but immediately picked up another place in WV that was all woods, except for a couple acres around the house. Small deer, but lots of them and the place was a funnel for game movement. We really packed them in there, and both my sons killed their first deer there. He sold that place around 2009, but we were allowed to hunt there until 2011. Since then, I've hunted public land near my home in Jefferson County, WV and managed to take 3 does and a spike in 3 seasons. I shoot the first adult deer I see, because I may not see another one due to all the pressure. I see some decent rack bucks before the rifle season, but they beat it to the surrounding farms and residential properties pretty quick once the shootin' starts.

In my county, we can take, with proper tags, as best I can count, 9 deer combined in archery, rifle, ML, and antlerless season. No more than 3 can be antlered bucks. My goal is to take two, but if I do, I'll continue to hunt as long as there's an open season, just for the pleasure of it and to try out different stuff. The pressure lightens up a lot late in the season, and even with the deer making themselves pretty scarce, I enjoy sitting in the woods hoping.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
killed my first deer 14 years ago. have averaged 3-4 a year since, one year only 1. so I guess my total is around 40ish mark

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been hunting since my mid to late 20s so probably 20 years because some years I didn't get to hunt at all and most years I got to hunt maybe one weekend due to family and work commitments I guess you could say I've never understood where folks get the time to hunt multiple deer per year and in truth have probably been a bit envious.
Anyway for years it was bucks only and one deer per year here in KY. Buddy and I hunted about 4- 5 years before either of us saw a shoot able buck while carrying a rifle. Buddy then moved away and We didn't hunt for several years before reconnecting. Today deer are much more common here in KY but still if you only get out 2-3 days a year getting skunked is not uncommon. So in all I have taken 18 deer 10 bucks and 8 does all rifle or ML . The most I have ever taken is two in one year. Family won't eat venison so to kill more would be way more than I can eat myself or give away. I do enjoy it but at 18 even though that's not many to some of you I feel like the novelty is waning and I am not that worried anymore if I get one or not. I really can't relate to ever wanting to kill the quantities I see quoted here. That's a lot of killing.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have taken nothing like the numbers some folks report. Especially in parts of the east.

I have taken over 100 deer though.

I got my first buck and a doe when I was 12. I am 68 now. in the 60's and early 70's, tags were plentiful and cheap so we got a lot of deer in Eastern Oregon including Agricultural hunts. Idaho was an easy tag and Montanna had a license/tag that covered all the major species.

Also, for a time Western Oregon, especially near the Tillamook Burn had phenomonal hunting.

I am back to Eastern Oregon for most of my hunting now. With our tag draws it is hard to manage more than two bucks every three years and a doe every other year. I got a five point last year but none this year. I also took a doe each year.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You sound like someone that's ready to start specializing in big, mature deer. Kentucky has some whoppers, I hear. Also elk. Either one of those ought to get your juices flowing again.

I really take my meat hunting seriously these days. My ex wouldn't eat venison except in chili, but the current Mrs. Pappy likes it just fine, especially in stir-fry dishes. Beef is so dang high these days and lots of stores don't have much of a selection. I love good beef, but I've gotten pretty good at butchering and cooking venison, so most of the red meat that goes on our table is from the woods. We also catch and eat a fair amount of fish and have a freezer full of stuff from the garden and orchard. I guess we've turned into
hunter-gatherers er, gardeners.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seldom fill all of my tags, here in Arkansas, even though I could most years. I am allowed 2 bucks and 2 does and if I hunted some of the other zones, I could kill 2 bucks and 4 does, but I just kill what I want to eat and sometimes 1 for a close friend. I had a neighbor that I used to kill 1 for but he has passed on. I have always been a kill what you want to eat kind of guy, except for varmints and I am not as mad at them as I once was, since I have no livestock of any kind, except for the dogs. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have no desire to ever shoot more than I'll eat in a year and I can't stand the thought of hunting somewhere and not being able to bring the meat home.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been hunting since I was a kid(about 25 years) and have probably shot around 25 bucks, whitetail and mule deer combined.

In MT you can shoot 1 buck/year and that's about what I've averaged.

Several years ago we had way too many whitetail so I shot a couple does. Never have shot a mule deer doe and more than likely never will.

Grand total less than 30 deer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Starting my 44 yr of deer hunting....I'm still addicted to it, especially mule deer. I've been lucky to have killed north of 100 deer, with that number rising drastically since several of my buddies have MLD ground here in TX, and there's a program called Hunters for the Hungry that is always happy to take my deer. It also affords me the luxury of having a bullet proving ground, like when Mule Deer and a couple of others (Steve Timm) talked about how tough the .284 Nosler 120 BT was a few years ago.....I had to see for myself.....and they work great on deer out of 7mm-08

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been deer hunting for 21 years, and have killed around 70 between gun and bow seasons. For about 10 of those years doe tags were unlimited at $7 each, and there were a few seasons that I went above and beyond what I needed personally. I generally don't do that any more, and stick with 2-3 per year now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Starting my 44 yr of deer hunting....I'm still addicted to it, especially mule deer. I've been lucky to have killed north of 100 deer, with that number rising drastically since several of my buddies have MLD ground here in TX, and there's a program called Hunters for the Hungry that is always happy to take my deer. It also affords me the luxury of having a bullet proving ground, like when Mule Deer and a couple of others (Steve Timm) talked about how tough the .284 Nosler 120 BT was a few years ago.....I had to see for myself.....and they work great on deer out of 7mm-08

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Now that's freakin truck load of deer......you da man.

Ronald Reagan
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hunted DMAP in Mississippi for years. Most in one season was 15, 9 with bow that year. Quit counting when I hit 100. My 17 year old son has killed around 60.
Never had a problem giving away meat to those who wanted or needed it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I started deer hunting in 1978. Back then, we could only take 1 (doe or buck). In 1990 they raised it to 2. By 1999, we were allowed 2 bucks and 10 does with shotgun and ML each and 2 bucks and unlimited does with bow. Now they've cut us back to only 1 buck with each weapon plus 1 bonus buck overall.

After doing the math, my estimated grand total to date is a little over 200. With that said, I've never killed any pigs, mule deer, elk, prong horn, or any other large game. Hopefully I can get some of those under my belt before I die.

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to be able to tell you specifics - date, location, weapon, size of deer etc. lost track of the details about 10 years ago and if I recall the total was around 100 white tails.

Killed 11 does one weekend in a cull hunt. Shot 10 deer another season when I had depredation permits. This is my 30th year in the woods

Now I focus on quality and getting my son out there. We have a buck and a doe in the freezer already this year so anything else we shoot this year will be a mature buck (though I may let my son shoot a smaller buck if he wants to, but I think he will hold out for a good one after shooting the doe last weekend)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are giving me blood lust! My eyes keep squinting and my trigger finger keeps twitching! I could totally dig traveling someplace to be a bunch of deer on the ground in a short time. While we have pretty liberal bag limits here, the size of parcels I have access too keep me in check.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
since 11-17-2001 up to last sat eve 209 deer 207 in TN 2 in Cando ND

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For a number of years we counted only what we shot with bow. I got to over 100 when I realized who really cares.

Have NO idea at all, I could probably sit down and do the math, but have shot a few anyway.

Typically we butcher between 4-10 deer a year just depending. I"m 50. I've been killing deer since 3rd grade.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I seldom fill all of my tags, here in Arkansas, even though I could most years. I am allowed 2 bucks and 2 does and if I hunted some of the other zones, I could kill 2 bucks and 4 does, but I just kill what I want to eat and sometimes 1 for a close friend. I had a neighbor that I used to kill 1 for but he has passed on. I have always been a kill what you want to eat kind of guy, except for varmints and I am not as mad at them as I once was, since I have no livestock of any kind, except for the dogs. miles

When I was young, I was a red hot woodchuck hunter, but have pretty much called a truce now. I spent about half a day on my deer stand watching one prepare his den for winter by carrying big mouthfuls of leaves and stuffing them in the various openings. Now my varmint of choice is a coyote but so far they've plumb evaded me. They're one critter that you can whack at will here, even during the first three days of deer season when everything else is off the table.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am not exactly sure, but I hunted Md for about 20 years. Got 2 or 3 a year for the first couple of years, and then got onto some private land, where I got between 7 and 15 a year, for the last 15 years I was there.. I imagine around 100 - 120 or so. I DID know a guy that was a deer hunting machine, and almost always got around 30 a year, in Md. Just moved to Pa., and am needing to scout a lot before I can become effective. Actually a lot of fun to put it together, as long as you are not too hungry....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a running joke on me here in my family and in laws
my getting skunked EVERY year but it is what it is!
Been hunting here in Alabama since the late 1960`s to now
and in ALL that time just 3 deer total to show for it.
But I still love just to go and be out in the Woods and
enjoy the peace and quiet.

Molan Labe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I kill on average 10 per year in Maryland.My best year was 15.I keep 4-5 and process them my self and give away the rest or donate it.I also usually go out west or Canada for moose,elk or mule deer. My lifetime total is 200-250,I stopped counting years ago.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't have a clue, and I doubt even with a lot of work that make a reasonable guess. I killed two this year and have a couple more to go. I killed four last year. four the year before. three the year before that and mostly 1-4 all the years before that. I started killing them in the fifties. A few years I didn't hunt deer and while I was away over in Viet Nam I didn't shoot any deer. Never kept a total, and now I am too old to remember.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
7 multiple years and IIRC one year 8. That'd be NY & PA.....

Typically 5-6.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
With a rifle, I am not sure. Didn't hunt for a number of years because of time constraints, kids, business etc.

But I do know I've killed around a dozen with trucks.

Last edited by Tarkio; 10/27/15. Reason: spelling

Montana MOFO
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I got 23 or 24 in 40 yrs of hunting with gun and bow. Some does, mostly bucks though. Not many but here in Wis. if you are stuck on public land you really need to hunt to see a deer. Some guys have a lot of private land and that makes a huge difference. Not me , I am too cheap to spend money on land for some deer. Oh well.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ihookem
Not many but here in Wis. if you are stuck on public land you really need to hunt to see a deer. Some guys have a lot of private land and that makes a huge difference. Not me , I am too cheap to spend money on land for some deer. Oh well.

Private land makes a big difference here as well. And by private I mean exclusive hunting rights.

Can be tough to find a really nice buck on public ground(here locally northeast MT). Especially with limited time.

Seems like it gets harder every year.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Where I hunt the number of deer taken annually per square mile is .1 to 1.1. I have kept a detailed journal of the details of each of my days in the woods since 1989. I average just over one a year, mostly bucks. Some years I have not taken a shot, and many times have shot 2-3 in a year.

After two consecutive years not shooting a deer, the 1994 season was going poorly for me seeing any bucks, then on 11/14 I walked out the backdoor of our home heading into the breeze at about 1:30 PM after a trip to town with my wife. I hadn't gone a half mile when I spotted movement coming through the woods just to my left. I shot the 8 point buck which was right on a doe.

The very next morning I was hunting in the opposite direction at the house and about a mile in. Just as I was getting ready to settle down for a seat on a log, another 8 pointer walked in through the balsams just as the sun was getting above the trees. The morning light illuminating his head and antlers as he was peaking around the trees was a peak hunting experience I can picture like it was yesterday. In that instant he ended up affording me a shot through his neck at about 30 feet.

Many years we lose 30-50% of the fawn crop to winter kill. I only see one or two deer some seasons, and may only need to take one shot. Last year I didn't see a deer until day 3, and then saw 7 inside of an hour, the last one being the buck I shot.

I can walk miles in almost any direction and not cross a road, see another boot track, and never see another hunter.

The experiences afforded from this type of hunting situation have been incredible, and are among my most cherished memories. I have had a wolf come in to a can call, had some dandy bucks come in at almost a charge to grunt calls, and noisily cross a beaver pond, breaking ice, to a can call. I have shot deer from tree stands, homemade ground blinds, tracking in snow, and just ambling around and being in the right place at the right time. Some days finding a deer seems like finding a needle in a hay stack, and other days they are found regularly in a particular area, only to have a pack of wolves move in to make them scarce again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
30. I killed one a year in PA. Here I just hope to be able to do that. In PA I saw deer daily year round. Here I seldom ever see a deer and when I scout gamelands I see very little sign.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
30. I killed one a year in PA. Here I just hope to be able to do that. In PA I saw deer daily year round. Here I seldom ever see a deer and when I scout gamelands I see very little sign.

If you ain't seeing more deer in NC than you did in PA, you're either blind or living/hunting in ENTIRELY the wrong places. Catawba is either sex for deer hunting with firearms from Nov. 21-Jan.2. Counting archery and BP, you can start killing deer in Sept and not stop until the second of January. There's no daily bag limit, and you can keep buying and filling bonus tags (2x) as long as you want to keep spending the cash and killing deer.

There are reasons for that, and it starts with the fact that there are a metric schit ton of deer there.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, Mike is seeing the metro Charlotte/Lake Norman hunting crowd effects there on public land.

I finished a job in Maiden a couple months ago on private property that we had to beat the deer back with cattle prods they were so thick.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I deal with a lot of guys in North East PA, near Scranton. Those guys think it's crazy how many deer we kill here. They're only allowed 1 buck and 1 doe and they're lucky if they can do that. They claim the bears and coyotes have hurt the population. Years ago, we used to think PA was the place to go to shoot deer, but NOT. Now if you want to kill turkeys, that's the place to be. They've got hurds of them grazing like cattle up there.

Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I asked my 95 year od granddad the same question shortly before he passed (we loved to talk hunting). He thought for a minute and said "80 or 81 - just a few more bucks than does" that was from the 1930s up through 2005 in NY state.

Here in NY state we are allowed one "regular" buck tag, one over the counter muzzle loading tag. And you can apply for a doe tag which in my experience you get about 50% of the time. So if you muzzle load you can get about 2 and a half deer a year. The muzzle loading season in recent years is only open in December (after the regular season!) so the deer are very wary by then. Some years I get 2 deer. Some years 1. There have been years I did not fill a tag despite my best efforts. It is not unusual to hunt for days without seeing a single deer, let alone one with antlers.

I started hunting 25 years ago but didn't kill a deer until the 4th year. In the last 21 years I have killed 20 whitetail. If any of you guys have too many deer or extra tags I'd be happy to help!

Last edited by Mssgn; 10/29/15.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager

If you ain't seeing more deer in NC than you did in PA, you're either blind or living/hunting in ENTIRELY the wrong places. Catawba is either sex for deer hunting with firearms from Nov. 21-Jan.2. Counting archery and BP, you can start killing deer in Sept and not stop until the second of January. There's no daily bag limit, and you can keep buying and filling bonus tags (2x) as long as you want to keep spending the cash and killing deer.

There are reasons for that, and it starts with the fact that there are a metric schit ton of deer there.

They tell me EHD took a large bite out of the herd here a few years ago. And in PA, I lived next to Ft. Indiantown Gap military base which was loaded with deer. So that is why they were such an everyday part of life for me before.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
50+

All killed in various parts of NY with rifle, shotgun, pistol, bow, and muzzleloader. Hoping to add PA hunting to my bag of tricks. This is my 21st year of deer hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at everybody who has responded and their location will give a clue as to why you see some of what I consider to be large numbers of deer taken in a lifetime.

Most of the respondents are from the East, Midwest, South. Amazing to hear that some have "unlimited" take for does or even limits that are greater than 1

I would say that in the Western states, and I'm speaking of NM, the limit is 1 mature buck. And that's considering if you are even lucky enough to be drawn for a tag in the lottery system we have. We just don't have the deer numbers that you see in the east and south. I'm always amazed at the number of deer I see as road kill in those areas.

Unless you are very lucky in our draw, own some or have access to private land, or have a boatload of cash to buy a mule deer tag on private land, the number killed will be less than 1 per year as my guess. That's what it is for me.

Hell, I've been on deer hunts where no one even sees a buck to shoot in a short 3 to 5 day season...another issue.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Typically 5-6.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP's question......in my lifetime I've killed around 125. 75 buck and 50 doe +/-

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by ihookem
Not many but here in Wis. if you are stuck on public land you really need to hunt to see a deer. Some guys have a lot of private land and that makes a huge difference. Not me , I am too cheap to spend money on land for some deer. Oh well.

Private land makes a big difference here as well. And by private I mean exclusive hunting rights.

Can be tough to find a really nice buck on public ground(here locally northeast MT). Especially with limited time.

Seems like it gets harder every year.

Glad you said that Sam, especially from a guy from Montana. Now I dont feel like as bad of a hunter. On public land in northern WIs. you can go several days without seeing a deer. Last weekend I saw a doe and a small buck on Saturday evening. As I though about it, I realized it has been 6 years since I've seen a buck on public land up here. That is sad. Even though I dont hunt it as much anymore, it's sad none the less. I bet you fair much better than me. It sucks here , really bad. Southern WIs. where I hunt public land has more deer, but the human activity is incredible and keeps them from moving till night time most days.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7 mulies from 3 states in the 42 years that I could have hunted. 2 from Washington state, 2 from Montana, 3 from Idaho. One with a Mossberg 880B in 243 Win, two with a Ruger M77 in 300 Win Mag, one with a Weatherby Accumark in 280 Rem, two with a Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag, one with a Model 70 in 270 Win. I've bagged maybe twice that number of Antelope.

Obviously I haven't been in areas where multiple tags per year are available, and I was unable to hunt every year due to various circumstances. Finally, over the last 10 years I have passed up on several bucks looking for better horns. I could have run my total to maybe a dozen or so if I hadn't passed looking for a better one, and then ended up with tag soup.

Work has kept me from even getting out deer hunting this year. I hope to get two days of elk season.

I will say that whitetail are coming on stronger in parts of Idaho, so maybe my count will grow some.....

Last edited by tominboise; 10/29/15.

Regards,

Tom
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In general western deer hunting is more restricted than eastern, but here in Montana we can not only buy one general over-the-counter "A" tag (normally good for either a mule deer or whitetail buck in most parts of the state, or a doe in some places), plus one OTC "B" tag for whitetails does in about 2/3 of the state. Plus we can apply for another doe tag in some areas. This year I have my A-tag and drew a whitetail B-tag, and can still buy at least one more OTC whitetail doe tag. A friend owns a ranch in an area where you can buy up to 4, but they can only be used on private land. Dunno if he needs any help with thining his does this year or not.

Right now Montana's overall deer populations are down from historic highs due to hard winters and EHD, but are coming back. In the past we've even been able to draw an additional whitetail buck tag, or buy up to 6-7 doe tags, for both species, in various parts of the state.

I've also hunted deer in at least a dozen other states, plus three Canadian provinces, one state in Old Mexico (twice), and in Ireland, New Zealand and the Czech Republic. Some of the hunts in both North America and elsewhere have been partially cull hunts, and as a result I've taken a bunch of deer. Don't know the total over 40 years, but in some years it's been 10-12.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't taken many deer compared to a lot of hunters on here. We are also on the northern fringe of deer habitat, and our populations are low compared to many areas further south. Big deer though. I have kept track of each animal I have killed, but i'm not about to go through my journals and figure it out for this post. I know that I've taken about 130 head of big game, but whitetail deer are a sort of consolation prize around here. I hunt locally for elk, moose, mule deer, and the odd bear. and our waterfowl hunting is some of the best in the world. So if my freezer has an elk and maybe a moose and a few dozen geese in it I just don't bother with deer. But I've probably shot 60 or so, mostly whitetails. 1-2 per year on average over 40 years. Last year I took three mule deer. I haven't shot a whitetail for three years, they have had some bad winters here. I might change that this year, but since I have an elk and a moose in the freezer already, I'm going to make it hard on myself, rattling/calling only and hunting with an open sight .44 mag carbine. It's fun to have options with a full freezer.

Last edited by castnblast; 10/31/15.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I started deer hunting in '89. Killed first deer in '93 and have not gone a year without since. First killed more than 2 in '01, and have not killed less than 4 since. Most is 10, but 5-10 every year. Just under a 100 right now.

The deer population in my area seems to have dropped in the last few years, so I will probably be killing less. I live an earn a buck area so passing does is not an option, unless I just give it all up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
18 seasons in a row now for me striking out but thats why
it is called hunting!
Been hunting since the late 1960`s to now
and in ALL that time just 3 deer total to show for it.

Last edited by AMRA; 11/01/15.

Molan Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting totals.. I suppose over the 56 years I have hunted the total is well over 200.. Not counting antelope, elk, and mic. game.. Have notes on all of the game taken, need to look them up some time.. My favorite game next to deer is the old coyote.. No limit, no closed season, no tags, and most are happy to see them shot..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
300-400 deer allowed a year?! Holy Smacks Batman!

Here's how it works in Northern California (Formerly called Oregon)

Oregonians (California transplants and homegrown granola-munching tree-hugger hippies) outlaw hunting cougars with hounds in 1993-4? An estimated 6200 cougars now each eat 1 deer (or sometimes elk) per week. that's 6200 cats eating 52 deer a year. Minus a few for elk calves and lets call it 45 deer a year, X 6200 cats= 279,000 deer killed each year by cats. With a deer population of about 500,000, and factoring in reproduction, car kills, habitat loss (thanks California transplants), deer in Oregon are pretty much screwed.

We get one buck tag a year on the west side (east side is lottery only) and a doe tag or two if you're inclined and lucky. Actually tagging a buck is another story altogether as most guys don't get one due to low populations.

So the average guy here gets one every two or three years.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
300-400 deer allowed a year?! Holy Smacks Batman!

Here's how it works in Northern California (Formerly called Oregon)

Oregonians (California transplants and homegrown granola-munching tree-hugger hippies) outlaw hunting cougars with hounds in 1993-4? An estimated 6200 cougars now each eat 1 deer (or sometimes elk) per week. that's 6200 cats eating 52 deer a year. Minus a few for elk calves and lets call it 45 deer a year, X 6200 cats= 279,000 deer killed each year by cats. With a deer population of about 500,000, and factoring in reproduction, car kills, habitat loss (thanks California transplants), deer in Oregon are pretty much screwed.

We get one buck tag a year on the west side (east side is lottery only) and a doe tag or two if you're inclined and lucky. Actually tagging a buck is another story altogether as most guys don't get one due to low populations.

So the average guy here gets one every two or three years.

That's pretty good actually. The average PA deer hunter doesn't even get a buck every 2-3 years. They have 800,000 deer hunters and kill about 150,000 buck a year.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have shot one California black tail deer, that's it. Been deer hunting many times, but never had much luck. Hopefully that number increases this year.

Having grown up out west in CA, can't even fathom shooting 10, or 40 or 400 deer per year (even 3 seems crazy to me). If I was actually able to find and shoot that many deer, I'd probably jump off the deep end the first year and fill every tag I could just because I've never had an opportunity to do so.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been told Columbian blacktail hunting is the hardest deer hunting there is. I'm eager to try it. Maybe next year.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The high desert and conifer forests of the mountain states can't support even a fraction of the deer number that the wetter hardwood forests of the midwest and east. Most western states have 1 deer a year limits. Idaho's limit is 1/yr with a few exceptions where a 2d deer can be taken. In the south half of the states, mule deer are much more common while in the north, whitetails are more common...with a lot of overlap. The mule deer seasons are short, only 3 weeks. If the weather doesn't cooperate, you can't wait for it to improve.

Over 55 years, I've shot maybe 40 to 45. Some years the numbers have been down and bucks were very hard to find. This is a good year following 2 mild winters. I've seen 11 bucks in 2 weeks of hunting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ihookem iam surprised to hear you say that about Wisconsin. We went to Canada fishing a couple of years in a row back in the 90s and found ourselves driving up thru EuClair area and at night it seemed the roads were lined with reflectors every 300 yds turned out to be deer eyes, it was to the point we stopped for the night rather than hit one . Left me with the impression Wisconsin was louse you with deer. Go figure

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CWD changed a lot of things in Wisconsin. They completely wiped the deer out of a few counties fifteen years ago and started handing out doe tags like crack for the rest of the state.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Luckily, CWD hasn't been found in Idaho yet. We do have a deadly disease, though, that really cuts into the deer and elk populations...called wolves.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How many deer? Well.....if you mean both sexes....not many!

If you mean BUCKS.....near 500! I quit keeping a record 25 years back...at a count of 427!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ghost
Indeed, PA says to shoot any dog(s) you see chasing game. PA also has 60,000 deer a year killed on the roads.

There is some fine print in the Penna law you should be aware of before you pull the trigger.

"§ 2384. Declaring dogs public nuisances

Any dog pursuing or following upon the track of any big game animal in such close pursuit as to endanger the big game animal or to be in the act of attacking the big game animal at any time is hereby declared to be a public nuisance and may be destroyed as provided in this title.

CREDIT(S)
1986, July 8, P.L. 442, No. 93, § 1, effective July 1, 1987.

§ 2385. Destruction of dogs declared public nuisances

(a) General rule.--A dog declared a public nuisance pursuant to section 2384 (relating to declaring dogs public nuisances) may be killed by any commission officer at any time or by any person when the dog is found to be in the act of attacking a big game animal.

(b) Reports after killing dog.--Any person who kills a licensed dog pursuant to subsection (a) and section 2384 shall notify the owner or a commission officer within 48 hours after the dog was killed. The person who killed the dog or the commission officer who receives the report shall disclose to the owner of the dog the time, place, circumstances relating to the death of the dog and the location of the dog's remains. All equipment found on the dog, including collar, name tag, license tag or any other personal property, shall be returned to the owner of the dog within ten days after conclusion of any prosecution or immediately if no prosecution is contemplated."

Just because someones-lets say Bird Dog-gives a short chase and you happen to see it, is not justification for shooting the Dog. Bird hunting coincides with different Big Games seasons.

Last edited by battue; 11/07/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2005 zero deer
2006 zero deer
2007 zero deer
2008 5 deer [finally scored at age 57]
2009 4 deer
2010 3 deer
2011 1 deer 1 antelope
2012 4 deer
2013 1 deer
2014 1 deer 1 antelope
2015 3 deer

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't know exactly how many I have killed. I killed my first deer at 9 years old on my first bow hunt. Killed 5 deer that year before dad made me stop shooting every deer I saw. Until I was 16 I literally shot every deer that gave me a shot. Now I mainly shoot a couple does a year and pass young bucks. Some years I get a nice one. Some I don't even see a nice one. Here in East Tennessee we don't have the deer densities or size of most states

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ghost;
Good morning to you sir, thanks for posing the interesting question and thanks to those who've responded and made for some equally fascinating reading.

We're allowed 3 deer a year here province wide, excluding the Queen Charlotte Islands/Haida Gwaii zone with is 15.

I was and remain a man most blessed in that at one time or another I was able to hunt with my good wife, two daughters, my late father and the best hunting partner a person could imagine - and during that time I served as official "hunt evisceration specialist". wink

Rather than stating how many I've shot, if I can be allowed I'll simply say that I did sit down one day and count how many deer I've removed the entrails from and it passed 100 many seasons back.

As we've cut and wrapped our own game as well as helped friends and family do that since '89, I'd estimate that number to be between 175 and 200 deer, maybe 20 black bears, a couple moose and that many California bighorn rams. I've added that information because I'd opine we've learned as much or more about cartridge/bullet performance processing the carcass as we did from shooting it.

Thanks again for the thread all, all the best to all respondents and good luck on all your remaining hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Between depredation permits and regular permits, I killed 124 in three years. Besides that, probably another 50ish over the years. 12 last years alone.

Last edited by sbhooper; 11/08/15.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
well i stopped counting decades ago, several hundred i guess

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my rifles has done better than me. A 1956 Win M70

The previous owner shot:
2 grizzlies
6 moose
10 mountain goats
6 sheep
109 Sitka Black tailed deer
16 black bear
2 caribou

Then he died, and his nephew sold it to me.

I have shot 9 mule deer with it.
4 in 2008 and 5 in 2009.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2005 zero deer
2006 zero deer
2007 zero deer
2008 5 deer [finally scored at age 57]
2009 4 deer
2010 3 deer
2011 1 deer 1 antelope
2012 4 deer
2013 1 deer
2014 1 deer 1 antelope
2015 3 deer

Yikes, for some that is a weekend...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
One of my rifles has done better than me. A 1956 Win M70

The previous owner shot:
2 grizzlies
6 moose
10 mountain goats
6 sheep
109 Sitka Black tailed deer
16 black bear
2 caribou

Then he died, and his nephew sold it to me.

I have shot 9 mule deer with it.
4 in 2008 and 5 in 2009.

Awesome tally. I'd love having a rifle with a history like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bangeye
Ihookem iam surprised to hear you say that about Wisconsin. We went to Canada fishing a couple of years in a row back in the 90s and found ourselves driving up thru EuClair area and at night it seemed the roads were lined with reflectors every 300 yds turned out to be deer eyes, it was to the point we stopped for the night rather than hit one . Left me with the impression Wisconsin was louse you with deer. Go figure

bangeye,
That neck of the woods has a lot of deer - as does most of the state.
Get into the northern region - particularly the national forests - not so much.

Many people prefer to point out the ever-growing wolf population, and there is some validity to it. And many more will point at the DNR in their mismanagement of the northern zone - even more validity still.

But the two main reasons are the lack of cutting in the national forests and a complete lack-of-sense/judgement by sportsman when the DNR was handing out tags like candy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep, they absolutely will not cut in the NF. A number of years ago there was a tornado that came through out hunting area near park falls. It was in the NF, of course.

I talked to a forest ranger about the litterally $100k'S of timber laying just in our area to be easy pickings for loggers. She said that it will never be touched by loggers.

If it could be guaranteed that no one would be hurt a fire would do a lot of good in some of the NF's.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by thomasgajan
well i stopped counting decades ago, several hundred i guess

I wasn't going to respond not wanting to be seen as a braggart but...

I also haven't been counting for quite a while but I know it's North of 100. I began deer hunting in 1972 and have not missed a single season.

I also have hunted La, Miss, & Al where the yearly bag limit WAS 5-6 or more per year.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
these are pretty good guesses, I have most kill tags, just over 360 total in my life, approx 150 of those with a bow.

Last edited by headhunter130; 12/29/15.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I shot numbers 88 and 89 this season. Most of my early hunting was done in CO and I was limited to 1 a season for a long time.

Last edited by Pirate; 12/29/15.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Looking at everybody who has responded and their location will give a clue as to why you see some of what I consider to be large numbers of deer taken in a lifetime.

Most of the respondents are from the East, Midwest, South. Amazing to hear that some have "unlimited" take for does or even limits that are greater than 1

I would say that in the Western states, and I'm speaking of NM, the limit is 1 mature buck. And that's considering if you are even lucky enough to be drawn for a tag in the lottery system we have. We just don't have the deer numbers that you see in the east and south. I'm always amazed at the number of deer I see as road kill in those areas.

Unless you are very lucky in our draw, own some or have access to private land, or have a boatload of cash to buy a mule deer tag on private land, the number killed will be less than 1 per year as my guess. That's what it is for me.

Hell, I've been on deer hunts where no one even sees a buck to shoot in a short 3 to 5 day season...another issue.

This certainly hugely effects the numbers for sure! Obviously.

YOu are not like us, I see legal shooter bucks almost every day out of my kitchen window. But I don't have big beautiful mountains to gaze at either...

we have pretty big limits in TX, especially after management came along. But never the numbers of other states that basically have one deer a day or so as a limit.

But then again, one big mule deer buck might give as much meat as 2 or more of ours. Maybe even 3-4 small does. And one elk.. well.. or one moose..

In the end its amazing, what numbers a hardcore hunter puts up.. Counting deer only I was over 100 with a bow only, when I decided keeping track was stupid. That wasn't counting pigs and javelina...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
At last count, I have just gone over 5,000 deer.

I really love this Hunting Unlimited software app. I usually choose the .280 rifle option, but occasionally will use the bow or handgun. Most of what I shoot are in the upper echelon of trophy class, which really adds to the challenge of computer hunting.

It's about time for lunch now, I think we are having real venison roast today.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunted deer for the first time in 1982 and shot my first the next year. I've shot 44 more since, not many compared to many other hunters, but I've been lucky enough to have hunted in four states. I didn't hunt a couple seasons and didn't score a few others, but I'm still averaging well over one per season over 3 decades + which means I've eaten a lot of venison smile

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In 28 yrs of hunting, I've got to be nearing the century mark. I've killed most with a bow the last 10yrs, my favorite way to hunt. Killing just isn't what it's about any more...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hmm how many deer....I can't count that high
Killed 6 this season and it was a down year

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn

I really love this Hunting Unlimited software app. I usually choose the .280 rifle option, but occasionally will use the bow or handgun. Most of what I shoot are in the upper echelon of trophy class, which really adds to the challenge of computer hunting.

laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I killed my first deer 35 years ago and have killed from 2 to 5 every year since. I have stopped at 3 since the children grew up. 3 feeds us for a year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my goal is to kill something with every weapon that i use.this year i've killed with my crossbow,50cal,45 cal and 270. i've killed 5 total.we used to get crop damage tags and each of use would kill a dozen or so on them,plus our regular tags. 15-20 a season was normal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on about a 5 year dry spell. I'd be happy just to take a deer-any legal deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Missouri, there is an app now that shows checked deer back to 2009. I've checked 27 since then. Before that, I was averaging around 3 a year, so a conservative estimate is 75 or so.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Typically 5-6.

This year I came up short.....4 (2b 2D) in NYS. Zip in PA.

Total in all my years, 75B and 76D (+/- 1 or 2)

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 12/30/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn

It's about time for lunch now, I think we are having real venison roast today.....

I think I used to play Deer Hunter 2003 or something like that and I too preferred the .280 rifle. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm on about a 5 year dry spell. I'd be happy just to take a deer-any legal deer.

Same here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With several years of unlimited archery and rifle doe I'm actually embarrassed to say what my numbers could be.....but I have slowed down these past couple years

Maturing in my later years plus a massive die off a couple years ago has brought me down to normal pre unlimited numbers

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted for 51 years now. Started out with a 30 carbine and shot my first one (a doe) that year at about 50 yards. I grew up hunting on a ranch just north of Austin that had a real problem with population. Local GW told the land owner he needed to take 200 doe a year off of the place and being a little kid, I was happy to help.
By the time I was 17, I had taken just over 200 deer. Most in one day was 15. I quit counting after that but I'd guess around 300-400 or so not counting Mulie's, elk etc.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can remember when they had the first deer season, where I grew up. 3 days, Fri-Sun, and everyone said there wouldnt be a deer left for next year. That was in the mid '60's.

I'm gonna have to guess, but somewhere around 200. When the kids were at home, it took 6 a year to feed the family. Now that they are grown-n-gone, 3 will feed the wife and I.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The kids are gone so now every year a mix of WY deer & antelope and maybe 1 in AZ, totaling 5. Usually give some away in the form of sausage/bratwurst. Every 10 years or so I draw and AZ bull tag and that year I give a lot of elk/deer/antelope away if all goes well.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's been a little slow this year, 8.
Last year I killed 11.
About the last 15 years I've averaged about 12 per year.
The most I've killed in one year was 16.

Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
just 21 this year

new total 226 11-17-2001

laugh

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
just 21 this year

new total 226 11-17-2001

laugh

Damn, you keep track? I tried to estimate it using averages, and that's about how many I've done since 1977.

You really are a DEER_ASSASSIN ain't ya.

Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Since I posted earlier I have killed a couple more.

Since I quit killing for this year, I have been doing an inventory here in the neighborhood. If I kill four again next year, I still need the cars to chip in and kill another 6-10 deer just to stay even. Right now I am not up for doing another four again next year. I probably will be by next fall though. It is looking like an 8 foot garden fence is going to be ever more appealing as an alternative to shooting and eating them. The neighbors claim their kids like venison, but they still haven't eaten all of one I provided all butchered and vacuum packed last year. The wife and I can happily eat two per year. Add another for the son and that's about as many as I want to kill and process in a year with decent weather

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Worked for USDA for 34 years. During that time I've assisted in legal culls on local plantations annually. In addition to my 12 deer limit each year, I've taken numbers that I doubt folks would believe.

A tremendous perk is the unique opportunity to experience what works and what doesn't in real world situations. Each kill is recorded with respect to caliber, bullet, yardage, etc, and my records have been a valuable resource for me.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/12/16.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
just 21 this year

new total 226 11-17-2001

laugh

Damn, you keep track? I tried to estimate it using averages, and that's about how many I've done since 1977.

i keep a spread sheet on excel pics of every deer

i have it broke down to days of the week months air/ground weapon field dressed weight avg field dressed weight per year
shot distance
distance traveled
avg shot
avg distance travel
particular loads for each caliber

blah blah blah

the stats are rather interesting you can certainly tell how and when i hunt

ie

sept 11
oct 36
nov 103
dec 48
jan 28

nov is a good month in tn

mon 18
tues 13
wed 20
thur 15
fri 34
sat 68
sun 58

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Worked for USDA for 34 years. During that time I've assisted in legal culls on local plantations annually. In addition to my 12 deer limit each year, I've taken numbers that I doubt folks would believe.

A tremendous perk is the unique opportunity to experience what works and what doesn't in real world situations. Each kill is recorded with respect to caliber, bullet, yardage, etc, and my records have been a valuable resource for me.

no telling how many you have killed i bet the data is fascinating though

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I deal with a lot of guys in North East PA, near Scranton. Those guys think it's crazy how many deer we kill here. They're only allowed 1 buck and 1 doe and they're lucky if they can do that. They claim the bears and coyotes have hurt the population. Years ago, we used to think PA was the place to go to shoot deer, but NOT. Now if you want to kill turkeys, that's the place to be. They've got hurds of them grazing like cattle up there.

The late 80's and early 90's were good in N.E. Pa. Now there are fewer deer and plenty of turkeys as you mentioned, When I left in 2009 I had not seen a deer while hunting the previous two seasons in my area with somewhat limited time to hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Between DMAP, depredation permits for the farm, high bag limits, etc. I quit counting at 200+ in 2007. My pace is not nearly as high over the past several years as I've moved around with my career, and not had the same time afield. I shoot a bunch, but hunting has slowed.

Looking forward to retirement in 10 years or so...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Started in '85 and got my first in '87 and its been wfo since then. Not sure on exact total but its between 150 and 200. WV has been veddy veddy good to me!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always had to travel to hunt which restricts my access..For many years my average has been between 15 and 20 a year, although not for the last year or so as I simply haven't been able to get out much..

As we have no tags and long seasons, I know plenty of folks over here who take maybe 50 or 60 a year mostly females and cull bucks...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My best single season was 37. 35 does, all mature does, and 16 of those does with a bow and the other 2 were really nice bucks.

NRA Benefactor life member
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My high year was right at 30, that was the second year of dmap hunting my stepfathers farm. About 25 or so were killed within the terms of the program.
Maybe 150-200 total since my first in 81.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started hunting 1965
1965 to 1983 = Zero Deer
1984 1ST Deer ever 4 pt Buck
1985 to 1995 = Zero Deer
1996 2 deer! Doe and Spike!
1997 to Present = Zero Deer
I did have a Heart Attack last year the first time
I went hunting !
Cost me $500 dollars and the rest of my season.

Molan Labe
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have killed 44. Killed at least one buck in every New England state but Vermont (never hunted there).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I haven't killed the numbers of deer some of you guys have. One a year is plenty for me, in reality.

The most I've killed in one year, was three, and I gave one away, and another was already crippled and I killed it to put it out of it's misery. It was already gangrenous and you could smell it forty feet away. Fed that one to the hogs.

I also shot one that had it's jaw blown off by someone trying a headshot and failing.

I'm somewhere around 50, and that's all I wanted at the time. This year, my stepdaughter wants one, so I might take two, if I can. One for us, and one for them.

I can take it or leave it. I enjoy watching deer about as much as shooting them. I'd rather shoot a damned old coyote than a deer, to be fair about it. Never got kill-crazy like some do, except on PDs and coyotes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Somewhere in the low 40's while hunting, Been hunting since 1984 and have had some dry years, missed one due to deployment, and have had some multiple deer years. Most ever is 4 in one year in VA. I like venison and it's the main reason I hunt, but will shoot a nice buck if I can. Participated in a management shoot one day and killed 24, but got sick of killing, even though the meat went to a good place. I've used probably 24 different cartridges to shoot them, and got a couple with a bow and a couple with a muzzleloader. Just got picked for an antlerless permit for my area in MI this year, so I'll get at least one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had 50 foster children over the years. The state didn't cover all expenses. I shot 6 deer/yr maximum. Then there were antelope and elk. After a year of eating deer meat my mother-in-law who was living with us bought some beef roast for Sunday dinner. My wife took a bite, stood up and in a loud voice said, "Oh yuk. I just cannot stand this deer meat." Which caused great mirth, my mother-in-law and I broke out laughing. Mother told daughter you've been eating nothing but deer for over a year. I thought you'd like some beef for a change. The subject of 'deer' meat never came up again.
The number of deer I shot never was as many as needed. I have some trophies but I am not very proud of them. They mounts are in boxes. I mainly shoot does anymore due to availability of licenses. Oh, yeh I started deer hunting in 1963 and so far have drawn two tags is all for this year. I have one cow tag and applications still have not returned on all applications.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/02/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to hunt a pretty good spot.
And my kids were little.
So popped a few.
Kids in college now, hunt way smaller spot, w less deer around. I won't shoot more than two (buck and a doe) and haven't shot more than one for quite a few yrs.
So I'm not over 100 total, and may never get there.
A few dozen have hopped across my grill/stove/oven.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/03/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd be thrilled if one of my daughters filled my freezer with venison. I could then just hunt for something with OK antlers (or better than OK antlers).

Many years ago I wanted to break 100 total. Quit caring about that quite a while back.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I just want a Pope and Young by recurve, and then maybe someday get a B&C by gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago I lost interest in shooting Doe. And I don't want bucks that you have to turn the scope up to 9x to see the antlers either. I simply don't care that much if I get a deer or not. So I'll never put up really big numbers which pleases me because I don't want to gut, drag, and butcher that much.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm guessing 250-300. SC has a long season and a liberal limit and I hunt AR as well for 35 years.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wouldn't have a clue. I quit counting at 100 with a bow and that was probably early 90s...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last years made 20. I live in eastern Ky. where there's is a one buck limit and until a few years ago it as antlered deer only. Also family and career obligations have limited my hunting to one or two weekends a year for the past 35 years. Frankly I have never figured how so many folks find the time to kill dozens if not hundreds of deer as well as other game.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A few years ago I lost interest in shooting Doe. And I don't want bucks that you have to turn the scope up to 9x to see the antlers either. I simply don't care that much if I get a deer or not. So I'll never put up really big numbers which pleases me because I don't want to gut, drag, and butcher that much.

I shoot what needs to be shot for the betterment of the herd. And now and then a wall deer. But pretty rare.

So I shoot does, culls and so on.

I don't really understand why some folks get tired of does or culls and just shoot big bucks.

I can totally get the desire to shoot less and less as I age, I have not really gotten there, but I enjoy all the work too. Well making sausage to the tune of 600 pounds a year is getting to be a job...

But I don't get folks not maintaining what they hunt like they would their livestock. You do whats best for the herd.

On one place all we ever shot were does. On anohter place I've never shot a doe, though finally we are getting to numbers that we may start shooting 1 or 2 a year. Another place we shot cull bucks only. Another place I shoot anything that needs to... but having shot the biggest buck of my life there last year, and the chances of finding bigger are almost nil or less, I suspect that place will now be does and culls for the rest of my life.

So whats up with folks not wanting to shoot cull bucks or does? IF its good for the herd?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Last years made 20. I live in eastern Ky. where there's is a one buck limit and until a few years ago it as antlered deer only. Also family and career obligations have limited my hunting to one or two weekends a year for the past 35 years. Frankly I have never figured how so many folks find the time to kill dozens if not hundreds of deer as well as other game.

Some folks just make priorities. Some are more like you, kind of a hobby hunter in a way. Do it a few times and what is, is.

For us, come about September through end of Feb nothing much serious gets done around the houses and land... just what has to be. We hunt. Its what we like to do. Its our life in many ways. Then the rest of the year is very little hunting, but catching up on other stuff we are behind on.

I'm not saying you are right, i"m wrong, I'm just trying to answer your question.

I even know a guy that tells me I'm going to kill one next weekend so I don't have to go anymore... WTF to me... I'd go even if I didn't have a tag, just to go watch and relax.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have no clue

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495

I shoot what needs to be shot for the betterment of the herd. And now and then a wall deer. But pretty rare.

I don't really understand why some folks get tired of does or culls and just shoot big bucks.

I can totally get the desire to shoot less and less as I age, I have not really gotten there, but I enjoy all the work too. Well making sausage to the tune of 600 pounds a year is getting to be a job...

But I don't get folks not maintaining what they hunt like they would their livestock. You do whats best for the herd.

On one place all we ever shot were does. On anohter place I've never shot a doe, though finally we are getting to numbers that we may start shooting 1 or 2 a year. Another place we shot cull bucks only. Another place I shoot anything that needs to... but having shot the biggest buck of my life there last year, and the chances of finding bigger are almost nil or less, I suspect that place will now be does and culls for the rest of my life.

So whats up with folks not wanting to shoot cull bucks or does? IF its good for the herd?
I shoot whatever I've got tags for so long as it's made out of venison. I don't shoot fawns simply because I want to maximize the amount of meat I get out of a tag. What I never have understood is people who seem determined to turn deer into livestock. Where I hunt they're wild animals and I have no desire to plant food for them or feed them in any way. In fact, feeding deer is completely illegal here and I'm glad for that.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've probably killed 100. We eat 3 a year. Most I've killed in a year was 6. When the kids were little and growing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Frankly I have never figured how so many folks find the time to kill dozens if not hundreds of deer as well as other game.

I love deer hunting. Fortunately I own my own company and have good guys working for me. My routine in the fall and winter, up until the end of January, is I take off a few hours early on Fridays, come in to work a few hours late on Saturday mornings, and we're closed Saturday afternoons, which allows me to hunt in the evening. The first week after Thanksgiving is the beginning of shotgun season and I take some vacation time and we're closed Christmas week.

I average about 12 a year. We're over populated here and the bag limits are generous in a way to protect the heard.

Bow - 1 buck and unlimited does
Muzzle Loader - 1 buck and 10 does
Shotgun - 1 buck and 10 does
1 bonus buck with the weapon of choice after killing 2 does

I generally take the first couple and get them ground into Burger (add 20% beef fat)and hot Italian Sausage (add 20% pork fat). I keep most of the back straps and some roasts. Then I start giving it away to my son (if he's not getting out and taking some his self)and my guys who don't hunt. These Hispanic guys will take all you can give them. When I get tired of cutting meat, I donate to Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry. I donated 3 last year as well as $150.00 to help pay for processing.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 09/08/16.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I only hunt public land so I really can't manage the herd.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I kept records on every deer shot.
Time, date, temp, weather, location, weapon, load, #shots, distances, travel after hit etc.

Yup.

Between 10am and 2 pm, rain or shine, bow or gun. Medium distances (for weapon type).

Lots of data, for a rather boring and often cited elsewhere conclusion.

Stopped recording data.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't need to shoot more than 2 deer.

Have no problem with killing. Pretty damn good at it.

Not sure what's going on, just don't have the heart to blast stuff like I used to.

Love to cook/eat..........but even a doe by recurve is starting to feel funky.

I know I can kill 'em. Seems to be "good enough" more and more.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
More fun these days, watching/helping buds take critters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess that's a quick way to a high post count.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Stream of consciousness type of posting. Don't give a [bleep] about post counts.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Some of us are old enough that 40 could still be less than one per year. frown

+1

Ted
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
conservativly 75

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well over 400 bucks since 1955!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know what you mean about the number of deer. When I was a kid it seemed like there were few to be seen during deer season. Now that has changed a lot. I honestly don't know how many I have shot, but I have been deer hunting since I was I think 12 or 13 and I got my first deer when I was 15 which at that time had to be a buck. Since then I have managed to fill my tag numerous times, but I never kept a good journal or way to record it. The most I ever shot in one season was 5 and I have shot 2 in a day several times. Last year I only shot one doe.

One thing I have noticed, since I have gotten older. I don't really care to keep score or compare mine to someone else's. The only thing I care about is whether I can get out into the field and enjoy a day without work or the other crap in my life which gives me a headache.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What a stupid, mute point!!Different states, persons age, persons mind set, many older hunters will only shoot big bucks so go years without. Numbers don't mean squat fun afield is what matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22 deer 2 antelope since 2008.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I used to count, when I was younger and it was a macho thing.... I've grown way past that point over the last 25 years or so...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

We hunt a fair amount of public also. We still shoot the same way, for the best for the herd. Sometimes we start a trend by talking to others. Sometimes its all we can do.

If there are to many animals, and granted there are not always, we shoot females. Simple. tasty. Not always easy. In fact the biggest trophy to me is a doe head mounted on the wall... she was by FAR harder to kill with an arrow than my largest bucks. In fact the largest ones have been the easiest to pattern and arrow or shoot...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Or small parcels of private. I shoot what I feel like, but there's not mistaking, what I'm doing on my little piece of dirt is truly not going to "improve the herd". Have yet to hear/read too many folks be able to articulate what they want to "improve" and even fewer that can prove that they are "improving" anything. Cull and management buck are terms, IMO, created to give someone a sense of relief for pulling the trigger on a non-mature buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One deer per year here in Idaho. I've been at it for about 30 years and have shot a couple dozen. Have passed on deer I would usually take on years where the numbers were down. Winterkill has a huge effect on numbers around here.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Pointer, I do not want to start a pissing contest! But you are so wrong about deer management, it's hard to tell you just how wrong you are, with out starting an argument, I suggest you get out of your own little world and learn what can be done with good animal management.
Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
Pointer, I do not want to start a pissing contest! But you are so wrong about deer management, it's hard to tell you just how wrong you are, with out starting an argument, I suggest you get out of your own little world and learn what can be done with good animal management.
Rio7

Not into a pissing match. I would hazard a guess I know a bit more about deer/game management than most. I didn't articulate my point very well. Where I currently hunt, a large piece of ground to hunt on is 100ac. Most tracts folks hunt on are much smaller than that. Yet, I still get guys telling me they are shooting "culls" and "management" bucks. Nothing that is done on one piece of dirt that small is going to affect the herd of an animal where an individual generally has a home range larger than each piece of the "management puzzle". That's my problem.

With enough acres and control of the take; I would agree that one can have an impact with management that can effect the herd. It's been seen in too many places on too many types of wildlife for one to ignore that. With my interest in wildlife and range management, I'm thinking I'd find more than enough on your place to keep me interested for a long time.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Compared to some of y'all I've not shot many at all. Truthfully, I don't even know. I don't keep track, but I probably could come up with a number...but I don't need to. I'm not in a contest. I can hunt, I can shoot trophy deer, I can shoot spikes and does. At some point, they all get me excited.

Some years I'm pretty gung-ho about getting a deer. Some years I'm gung-ho about being at deer camp with the crew or just in the woods myself enjoying my time.

I take a few weeks off in November. That's the vacation I look forward too all year. It's my time to reset my brain.

I enjoy being at the camp at least as much as I do hunting. Don't get me wrong, there is still a thrill to kill a deer and make meat for my family. We all enjoy it.

But to now see the excitement in my son's eyes as we get stands ready, get food lists together, talk about shot placement, stand placement, where would be a good place to still hunt....his excitement gets me fired up and he's never shot a deer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Pointer, Thank you for you reply, I have no exprience managing deer on small fragmented pieces of land, I would find it frustrating not to have control of the land and the food, water and cover, not to mention what critters were taken each year and their numbers.

I have taken control of land that had no or nearly no deer, and thru habitat management and deer management, the land and the deer recovered, it takes time but it can be done, mother nature can do wonders if given the chance to do her work. Rio7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Once again one of the stupidest threads ever on 24 H campfire!!!!!!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It does rank up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, Thank you for you reply, I have no exprience managing deer on small fragmented pieces of land, I would find it frustrating not to have control of the land and the food, water and cover, not to mention what critters were taken each year and their numbers.

I have taken control of land that had no or nearly no deer, and thru habitat management and deer management, the land and the deer recovered, it takes time but it can be done, mother nature can do wonders if given the chance to do her work. Rio7
I think we are on the same page then. My situation is just much different than yours. We have fun on our 55ac. If I ever hit the lottery I plan to blow most of it on dirt. Lots and lots of dirt! wink

From what I've gathered from your postings here you guys seem to have a very good thing going on down there. Congrats! Ever give tours? wink I did my graduate research on a large ranch that was managed well for both wildlife and cattle. It was a great place to spend some time and do a bunch of learning.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I began killing deer in 1986 at 12 years old. I've killed on average 2-3 per year and some years more. I've not been a single season where I didn't kill at least one deer. I'm 42 years old and killed one already with a bow last weekend. I have no idea of the number. I've killed WAY more than 3/4 of these deer from the ground....man made blinds and a few from hub style or pop up blinds.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ghost: I am not into "quantity" I am much more interested in "quality" Hunting!
I have a nice Antelope in my freezer already and have about 5 more weeks to harvest a Deer and/or an Elk in Montana here.
That will be at least "enough" meat in our freezers for the next years useages.
I hold no quarrel with those that can shoot and eat 40 Deer per year.
If Deer are so prevalent that the limits are at 40 per year per Hunter then I say get after'em and make sure the herds stay within bounds and healthy.
I love venison but to eat 40+ Deer per year I don't think that fits into my lifestyle/needs/wants.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Year ago I hunted South Georgia Whitetails out of a family tree stand. At the time the limit was 7 per year there. At the end of the morning my cousin came by to ask why I had not shot any of the does that came by my stand. I thought they were fawns! Those deer were tiny.

I'm with varmintguy, if your state let's you shoot 40 a year, more power to you. With that much population you need to put more in the freezer to get through the year. I prefer our "Big Boned" deer out in the west. BBWT?

In Idaho if you draw all the tags and buy an unsold Non-Resident tag (at full cost) you could legally shoot 3 deer per year, 4 if you get on a depredation hunt. I have always been able to draw my local "X" (for extra) antlerless tag, but not this year. They have been discovered and competition is higher.

To answer the OP's actually question, The most I have taken in single year here in Idaho is three. One on a Whitetail tag, one on an "X" Antlerless Whitetail tag, one on a Mule Deer Antlerless Depredation tag.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Pointer, We are in a different world, we have a class 3 MLB permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife, each year we are required to do a game survey, and give TP&W our results, then they tell us how many Whitetails, we need to take off, we have from the Oct 1st. till The last of Feb. to take our quota off the ranch. We also record age, weight,and collect the lower jaw of all deer killed, and we B&C score every buck taken, Results and lower jaws are turned over to TP&W.

This all turns into a lot of work, and takes a lot of time, this year we will take off 400 Whitetails, Plus about 300 pigs, Plus about 60 Exotic's.

It turns into work after about the first 50 critters. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, We are in a different world, we have a class 3 MLB permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife, each year we are required to do a game survey, and give TP&W our results, then they tell us how many Whitetails, we need to take off, we have from the Oct 1st. till The last of Feb. to take our quota off the ranch. We also record age, weight,and collect the lower jaw of all deer killed, and we B&C score every buck taken, Results and lower jaws are turned over to TP&W.

This all turns into a lot of work, and takes a lot of time, this year we will take off 400 Whitetails, Plus about 300 pigs, Plus about 60 Exotic's.

It turns into work after about the first 50 critters. Rio7
Sounds like a great program! I can imagine that dealing with that many critters and hunters becomes work. Makes my 1.5ac of food plots and making sure my two boys are warm and fed while hunting look very tame. Like I said before, you guys have enough neat stuff going on there that I'm pretty sure I could stay interested/entertained for a long time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Since 1950 over 500; all bucks!

I'm a head-hunter.

Here's one of the latest:

[Linked Image]Kanbrute by Sharps Man, on Flickr

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I started hunting in 94...I have killed 82 all bucks except for two does.. One was a accident!!!!!!

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
A
A
16 moose in Sweden and slightly over 2,000 deer in the UK over 20 years. Of the deer 60% would be roe - about coyote size. Something is in season year round.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
just 21 this year

new total 226 11-17-2001

laugh

i keep a spread sheet on excel pics of every deer

i have it broke down to days of the week months air/ground weapon field dressed weight avg field dressed weight per year
shot distance
distance traveled
avg shot
avg distance travel
particular loads for each caliber

blah blah blah

the stats are rather interesting you can certainly tell how and when i hunt

ie

sept 11
oct 36
nov 103
dec 48
jan 28

nov is a good month in tn

mon 18
tues 13
wed 20
thur 15
fri 34
sat 68
sun 58

he is the champ..............................
almost godlike on the tn queer website....................

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Just started hunting this year. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 63 cut off racks in barn

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.