Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just finished a bow hunt and read Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark, from cover to cover over 10 days.
Just thought I would start increasing some knowledge about the African writers from yesteryear.

Guess, I'm looking for the next one.What was your favorite African book?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Horn of the Hunter is one of my favorites. Read it several times. J.A. Hunter is another favorite.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Peter Capstick, and his series of old books he has revived! He has done more to show case African hunting with his books, than any other writer of recent times. They are remarkable reads! And yes, some times he spreads it a little thick, but he does a good job of it!
Read them, trust me , you will like them!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pondoro

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For today's hunting, most of the old Africana isn't helpful. Craig Boddington is more applicable, but there's really nobody that captures the imagination like Capstick did, at least for folks heading to Africa now. If we are talking books about "the olden days", Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter" is hard to beat. "Green Hills of Africa" is fine, emotional reading (provided one knows it is about Hemingway's view of life and hunting more than Africa.)

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Favorite? Without a doubt, it was Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass". That book started my quest, and ultimately got me to go to Africa, twice. grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Gents, not too worried about it being spread on too thick. I can only laugh at at some of the claims.
There were a couple of places that I questioned in Horn of the Hunter as well.
One particular, was that his Waterbuck had 6" ivory tips. I've shot my fair share of Waterbuck with my hunters, and have yet to hunt/or see one with ivory tips.
Anyone out there maybe taken one, or seen a photo of one like this?

Think I'll try Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" next. It's popped up a couple of times.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 11/02/15.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by maddog
Favorite? Without a doubt, it was Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass". That book started my quest, and ultimately got me to go to Africa, twice. grin

maddog

Without a doubt for me. Hooked me forever.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bell of Africa

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bell of Africa

+1

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another for 'Chapstick' ...Series. Hard to put down, enjoyable, thick or not.

---mis spelled on purpose-- JFYI

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI

maddog

Without a doubt for me. Hooked me forever.

Count me in, too. His "Death in the..." series that followed the original trickled out pretty quick, but the first volume, "Long Grass" was without question an exciting book and for a young and relatively green hunter when I first read it in the 70's, it was inspirational.

Since then I've read almost everything extant on African hunting, and re-reading Capstick now is like going back to read old Batman or Superman comics... it's overwritten to a degree, IMHO.

The older authors (John Patterson, John "Pondoro" Taylor, and Robert Ruark, etc) are by far the best in my view. Frederick Selous's book is ponderous to the modern reader, I'm afraid.. but if you can plod through his dull prose, the stories he tells are pretty damn good. Ditto Bell.

The modern writers tend to be too much in the "How-To-DIY" genre, which is deadly dull unless you're a noob to African hunting lore. And Craig Borington, well, let's just say I've stopped buying his bought-and-paid-for advertisments... er, I mean his "books". Among the newer crop of authors, I have found Kevin Robertson's stories pretty good reading, but he's not exactly a prolific author.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All of Jim Corbett's books are fine reading.

And Ruark's "Something of Value" is a good read also.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Elgin Gates- Trophy Hunter in Africa, if you can find a copy. Also James Mellon- African Hunter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own and have read all of the ones metioned above. All great reads. One that you might not have run across is Killers in Africa by Aexander Lake. Well written and very entertaining. Probably some embellishment in it, but still a good read.

If any of you want something out of the usual, hunt for books by Daniel P. Mannix. Hunting as if told by Ian Fleming.

Chui - Back when Bell of Africa was out of print, I spent two days in the NYC Public Library devouring it. Great read!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Thanks Gents, not too worried about it being spread on too thick. I can only laugh at at some of the claims.
There were a couple of places that I questioned in Horn of the Hunter as well.
One particular, was that his Waterbuck had 6" ivory tips. I've shot my fair share of Waterbuck with my hunters, and have yet to hunt/or see one with ivory tips.
Anyone out there maybe taken one, or seen a photo of one like this?

Think I'll try Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" next. It's popped up a couple of times.

They can gete white tips up north of you. My dad got one in northern Cameroon that was bleaching out at the tips. Not 6" by any stretch.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
George Hoffman's "A Country Boy in Africa".

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't found one to top Horn of the Hunter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by minnmarcus
Peter Capstick, and his series of old books he has revived! He has done more to show case African hunting with his books, than any other writer of recent times. They are remarkable reads! And yes, some times he spreads it a little thick, but he does a good job of it!

Cue the "tear Capstick apart" chorus. (I don't belong.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
since everyone covered the well known I'll throw in a more obscure one thats easy to get for sub $30(some African books get expensive)

Buffalo, Elephant and Bongo by Reinald von Meurers

points going for it:
#1 its modern Africa not an Africa no one has access to anymore

#2 covers hunting most don't, in the jungle

#3 the guy has done a couple dozen "Do It Yourself" hunts and thats what the book is about....for the guys that think modern Africa is being lead around its a hell of an eye opener.

I also like anything Tony Sanchez-Arino writes and "From the Okavango to the Plains of East Africa" and "From the Congo Basin to the Highlands of Ethiopia" by Steve Christenson which include more DIY as well as normal PH lead hunts....only problem is Safari Press did not release trade editions, only limited editions of these two but I thought they were well worth the money...love the description for the second book:

Sudan, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, and Liberia give new meaning to exotic and difficult safari destinations. If you want to know what it’s really like to battle a stifling rain forest for bongo or a blistering savanna for giant eland or a lofty moorland for mountain nyala, this is your book. Christenson also depicts an unprecedented adventure into the Red Sea Hills for Nubian ibex and a self-guided expedition to “hell on earth” for ultra-rare West African trophies. In the author’s second volume, he tackles the most difficult specialty safaris, and each adventure is described in vivid detail. As Tommy Caruthers noted in his foreword, “I felt as though I was in a surround-sound setting, experiencing the adventures in real-time with all the joy and excitement of each day’s hunt.”

These hunts often come with a price: gaboon vipers, mamba bed mates, killer hordes of ants, ambushes in the Danakil Desert, sabotage by Hadendowa warriors, and marauding poachers from Darfur. You’ll want to find out why legendary Ethiopian professional hunter Thomas Mattanovich called their hunt the most memorable of his illustrious career. Why would the redoubtable Bob Speegle call his safari with Christenson the closest thing he’d ever done to committing suicide? How was that Beth Jones came to be initiated into the secret Sande sorority of Grebo Forest women? Why would Fred Fortier declare, “A rat that size could make for some good stick meat.”

The reader is taken across Africa in search of adventure as the author and his compatriots enjoy the time of their lives. Whether they are unearthing Neolithic artifacts in the Awash Valley, daring a late-night visit to the local Bangui ivory poacher, or masquerading in Arab garb to enter the Omdurman slave market, there is never a dull moment. Hunting in these countries more closely resembles expeditions into the wildest recesses of Africa, and it provided some of the most memorable adventures in the hunters’ lives.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a classic i dont see is John Burger's 'Horned Death'.....if you like hunter you will like Burger.....burger and Hunter are who i tend to push people to after Capstick or Ruark has hooked them....

whoever said Mellon's 'African Hunter' MOST DEFINITELY!, Boddington's sequal is very good aswell and contains more than just Craigs writings like Mellon sought others to contribute....those two should be in any African hunters library....they cover lots of ground with everything from technical to hunting stories....

harder to find and expensive when you do is 'Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa' by John Kingsley-Heath, but its a must have if you run across a copy....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ok ill shut up now........

this is a favorite subject crazy grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hatari
One that you might not have run across is Killers in Africa by Aexander Lake. Well written and very entertaining. Probably some embellishment in it, but still a good read.

If any of you want something out of the usual, hunt for books by Daniel P. Mannix. Hunting as if told by Ian Fleming.

I initially read "Killers in Africa" when I was about ten years old and was enthralled. Since then, I've reread it dozens of times and never fail to enjoy Lake's stories. Although I suspect that "Killers" is long out of print, a friend gave me a signed copy of it as a gift.

With respect to Daniel P. Mannix, his "Those About to Die" is wonderfully entertaining, although it's an account of Roman gladiators, rather than about hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good suggestions.
I'll re'read these.
Selous, African Nature Notes and Reminisence (sp)
Patterson, Man Eaters of Tsavo
D Lyell, Memories of an African Hunter
Bror Blixen, African Hunter
Not hunting books but
Beryl Markham, West With The Night
Osa Johnson, Four Years in Paradise
For dog lovers:Percy Fitzpatric, Jock of The Bushvelt.
Newer copies have been PC'd

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
"Karamojo Safari" by W. D. M. Bell.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For a modern author Kevin Thomas is quite enjoyable. Finished one of his books and am presently reading a second, unfortunately do not recall the titles.

For a "noob" I found the Kevin Robertson perfect shot book a very useful read prior to my first African hunt in 2009, so much so that I acquired his revised perfect shot book prior to my second African hunt April / may of this year.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
MEMORIES OF AN AFRICAN HUNTER: Terry Irwin
HUNTING THE DANGERIOUS GAME OF AFRICA: John Kingsley-Heath
MONTHS OF THE SUN: Ian Nyschens
MAHOHBOH: Ron Thoson
BIG GAME AND BIG GAME RIFLES: John Taylor
A GAME RANGER'S NOTE BOOK: A.Blaney Percival
LAND OF THE BLACK BUFFALO: Paul smiles

There are a multitude of good books on Africa hunting. The above are only a small sample of my favorites.

And, Yes, I have read all of Capstick's books and found them entertaining. I met Capstick at a SCI convention several weeks prior to his death, and found him to be very much like his writings, Viz: Entertaining. IMO, he would've been a "hoot" at a party.

Having said that, his writings didn't influence my decision to book my first African safari. That fire was lit when I was twelve years of age, and read MAN EATERS OF KUMOAN by James Corbett. Albiet not Africa, Corbett was my hero. India was out, but Africa was on the horizon. Thirty-eight years later, I was in Zimbabwe on my first safari.

The other books recommended are all good reads as well. If you have the time, read 'em all.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Capstick is IMO the most intertaining and fun. Love reading his books.

IMO Ruarks work is almost without peer from a writing standpoint when it comes to Africa and hunting. I also really like Corbitts books (India though).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI

And, Yes, I have read all of Capstick's books and found them entertaining. I met Capstick at a SCI convention several weeks prior to his death, and found him to be very much like his writings, Viz: Entertaining. IMO, he would've been a "hoot" at a party.

I have a book by the guy that did the handful of videos Capstick did, Ken Wilson, and in it it included some of his correspondence with Capstick......not hard to tell between his books, videos and Wilson's book, Capstick didnt take himself anywhere as close to as seriously as his opponents do/did....im guessing your 110% right, he woulda been alot of fun to sit and BS with....

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
HEAT THIRST AND IVORY by Fred Everett is excellent.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF

For a "noob" I found the Kevin Robertson perfect shot book a very useful read prior to my first African hunt in 2009, so much so that I acquired his revised perfect shot book prior to my second African hunt April / may of this year.

I keep the little pocket book in my truck for my hunters to look through when they have a bit of time. What are the differences on the revised edition?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by GRF

I keep the little pocket book in my truck for my hunters to look through when they have a bit of time. What are the differences on the revised edition?

i think he is talking the big book, not the pocket.....there are two editions of the big book out, i have the second but not the first....

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Marius; the newer version has more current information on bullets, a lot more detail on aging lion and buffalo and details on a few more species including a section on Bongo by I believe Peter Flack.

The book is also divided a bit differently than the first book.

if you want more details please let me know

All the best GRF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF
Marius; the newer version has more current information on bullets, a lot more detail on aging lion and buffalo and details on a few more species including a section on Bongo by I believe Peter Flack.

The book is also divided a bit differently than the first book.

if you want more details please let me know

All the best GRF

Thank you GRF.
You are welcome to either send more info by PM or post it right here. I was just curious about what type of "new" info Doctari has added. I will certainly look into it. Always thought the pocket edition was a little short on some species.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Marius;

Perfect Shot II has:

-expanded discussions on bullets, and updated to include some the high quality newer bullets
-expanded discussion on buffalo especially about determining age
-expanded discussion on lion especially about determining age
-after the dangerous game section there is the glamour antelope section which has added a section on bongo, and separated and expanded the nyala and buskbuck sections
-next sections is the bread and butter species; impala, blesbok (new) and springbok
-other nondangerous game with a ne section on reedbuck
-expanded small antelope section with chapters for duiker, klipsringer, steenbok and grysbok.
- the final part of the book is expanded to include a section on making the perfect shot and is a good discussion on practical shooting.

I think this covers the additions.

Thanks GRF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow, OK. I'm definitely looking into this. I think it was mentioned earlier, this would only be available in the large format and not in the pocket guide?

If pocket guide, it will go into the truck, otherwise, I'll get one for the lodge library.

Thanks GRF. Much appreciated.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
correct its the large version....i wound up with the limited edition, not sure what size the trade edition is, prolly close to the same which is around 10"x12"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

It took me awhile to put together the entire 14 book series, but well worth the trouble.

Last edited by duckear; 01/22/16.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Death in the long grass, Capstick.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No Man's Land by John Heminway. Not much in the way of blood and guts, but interesting cast of characters.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Old: Death in the Long Grass

New: Safari Rifles II, by Craig Boddington. May be mostly about rifles, but tons of pictures and anecdotes about African hunting as well.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Death in the Long Grass
By Capstick.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dale06
Death in the Long Grass
By Capstick.

THIS.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hate to pile on but I read "Death in the Long Grass" back in the late 70s as a 12 year old. I've re read it about 6 times since, maybe every 5 years and I love it every time..

Man Eaters of Tsavo was a good read and I just finished Finn Aagaards book "Aagards Africa". A little dry but pretty good.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
KMG...Hello Marius, I will recommend 2 books.
I see many others have offered some good choices.
However, if you can get "True at First Light" by Hemingway..it is put together after his death by (I think) his son...it is a good read in my opinion.
Next up,,, "The White Rhino Hotel" by B. Bull,,,it is a good story of Africa.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the comments, gents. I am sitting with Robert Ruark's Africa and Use enough Gun at the moment. I will revisit this forum when I'm done with those two.

They work great from the bow blind.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by minnmarcus

Can't argue too much with that. I really liked all of PHC's books.

However, two of my favorites African books are:

"Horned Death" by John F. Burger

and

"Elephants, Ivory, and Hunters" by Tony Sanchez-Ariño

BH63

BTW duckear "Nice collection".

Last edited by BH63; 02/08/16.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gregor Woods' "Rifles for Africa" is also excellent, a treasure trove of useful, and entertaining, information.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
use enough gun is fun read

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I may have missed it; has anyone mentioned Hunter by John Hunter?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nychens , Month Of the Sun, great read about hunting in the Jess for elephants.
Elephant Hunters of the Lado, Robert Foran. About himself and other Phunt hunters in the Lado Enclave. He hunted with a 256, like W. D. M. Bell.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
A fascinating experimenter of bullets and cartridges on the big 5. A man ahead of his time. He had a custom 460/500 which was a 500 A2 for all practical purposes. He lathe turned his own flat nosed solids. Great book. I have a bunch but this one has always stood out.

Jose Pardal Elephant Hunting in Portugese East Africa

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Not about hunting but Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow is my favorite book of all time and takes place in Africa.

West with the Night is flat out marvelous
Brian Herne's White Hunters is also at the top.
Anything by Elspeth Huxley is good too.

Horn of the Hunter is really good because you get to see Africa through the eyes of a newcomer.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Herne's White Hunters was good. Ruark is hard to beat. Horn was great and I've re-read it a time or two. Something of Value and Uhuru were great but less about hunting.

Looks like I need to read Death in the Tall Grass now.

Recovering Yankee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Books have lost out to these internet forums.

I used to buy books, belong to book clubs and stop in the library.

Today I can read, see and hear pictures and video in detail with ease on the computer.

Also we are all 'writers' ourselves and can ask questions!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have read most of the books mentioned. One of my great winter pleasures is a good book which translates to hunting and usually means Africa. It's hard to get a new one from Safari Press as I have most. One that I enjoyed greatly that I haven't seen mentioned is Kambaku by Harry Manners. If you like the old ivory hunters you'll like this one. It has recently been re released by Safari Press.

Right now I'm reading Some Lions I Have Met by Gordon Cundill.

Amwell Press (long out of business sadly) put out some great African books especially their anthologies on the big 5.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While I have read a lot of the books mentioned, there is one missing that I really enjoyed before my first trip to Africa. Not a hunting book but if you are at all interested in the History of South Africa in particular and some of the Why things are the way they are. Read "The Covenant" by James A Michener. Very worthwhile read. Matter a fact, I may have to get it out and read it again.
Take care,
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

My all-time favorite African hunting book. Quite unlike most other Africa books.

I'd love to own a copy, but I could buy a new rifle and scope for what they want for a used copy. cry

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

maddog

While on my second Safari to the RSA, my PH had a copy of this book in his library. I had taken along a "Boddington on Buffalo" book, which I read on the way down. We traded books before I left, and I really enjoyed reading Capstick's book on the way home.

IMO, Boddington is a hunter who writes, but Capstick is a writer who hunts. Big difference!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...another addition to the forum library:

FIREFORCE

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
APDDSN0864- Safari Press has re released Months in the Sun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

My all-time favorite African hunting book. Quite unlike most other Africa books.

I'd love to own a copy, but I could buy a new rifle and scope for what they want for a used copy. cry

Ed

I've talked to a few old Rhodesian hands who knew Nyschens, and they all say he was a strange, strange, dude. Loved reading about hunting the Zambezi valley before Lake Kariba swallowed it up.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
1. Horn of the Hunter
2. Death on the Long Grass
3. Short Happy Life of F. Macomber and Snows of Kilamanjaro
4. Teddy Roosevelt's African Game Trails
5. Something of Value
6. Out of Africa
7. Pondoro's African Rifles and Cartridges
8. Edward Stuart Wright's African Camp Fires
9. Boddington's Buffalo
10.John Burger's Horned Death

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Africa's Most Dangerous by Robertson - Best book on buffalo hunting and dangerous game cartridges/bullet performance
When a Crocodile Eats the Sun by Godwin - best book on life in Zimbabwe
The Fear by Godwin - best chronicle of the mess that is Zimbabwe
The Bush war in Rhodesia by Croukamp - Best war memoir
The Last Safari by Bruce VanBuskirk - best behind the scenes look at safari life. After reading this book I fully understood what a pitiful job Martin Pieters did on my first buffalo hunt to Omay
The Perfect Shot by Robertson - best book on African game animals. Take the mini edition on safari for review of shot placement

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have also read many of the books mentioned and I am in fact in the middle of a good Capstick writing at the present, but of all the great books that I have read on Africa, many of them while I was on extended safari on the dark contintent, my hands down all time favorite was this one:

A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa: Being a Narrative of Nine Years Spent Amongst the Game of the Far Interior of South Africa
by Frederick Courteney Selous

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
When I posted "FIREFORCE" I neglected to mention the author, Chris Cocks, and the particulars of the book. This is a true account of an eighteen year old Rhodesian lad's three year service in the Rhodesian Light Infantry (RLI)during the bush war.
And the follow-on book,"SURVIVAL COURSE" is the account of the author's adjustment to a normal life after the war.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most excellent book. At this year's DSC convention, I hooked up with some old Rhodesian War vets that included the association of the Selous Scouts. Reid-Daly apparently wrote another book that will be published soon and I am working with Johnnie Vivier to get copies here in the states.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pondoro's African Rifles and Cartridges
Helped with my selection of rifle for my 95 safari

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...I have two of Reid-Daly's books: SELOUS SCOUTS Top Secret War, and PAMWE CHETE. Both good.
Another good read: THE ELITE: Rhodesian Special Air Service by Barbara Cole.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anyone have a copy of "The Art of Tracking" by L. Liebenberg or have ever read that book?

That is supposed to be a very valuable book on African Tracking.

I checked with Amazon, but they are wanting a lot of money for the copies they have - over 8 hundred dollars for a paperback edition and over 4 thousand dollars for a new edition.

I wonder if the book is worth it?

B63

Last edited by BH63; 03/29/16.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
BH6:
If I may suggest a book I think you'll find interesting. It is written by Aubrey Wynne-Jones, and the title is: HUNTING, On Safari in East and Southern Africa. There is a ten page segment regarding tracking. Obviously the book is not totally dedicated to the "Art." However, there is a plethora of good information within the covers of this tome.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
^
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look it up. I have several books on tracking, but the book I referenced above is supposed to be one of the great works on tracking written by a South African and based upon tracking as practiced by the San (aka Bushmen) of the Kalahari.

I have put in an intra-library loan request by another book by Liebenberg on tracking "The Practical Guide to Tracking" (or something similar) and if it is a worthwhile book, I might buy it and review here.

To me, one of the joys of hunting in Africa is to witness the skill of the local trackers. They put most experienced US hunters to shame IMO.

Cheers,

BH63

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I like the old stuff. From the preface to the Finaughty book, "The value, if any, in the following pages, lies in the fact that they give a picture of a time now past which will never return." That about sums it up for me.

These books can be read online or downloaded at archive.org.

The Recollections of William Finaughty

The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter - WDM Bell

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
Mark Twain
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"Buffalo complete their charge." "When you are hunting kudu, the kudu is hunting you."

Quotes from "Practical Tracking", by Louis Liebenberg et. al.

Just starting reading this book and it is a fantastic read both for the tracking knowledge and the anecdotes.

BH63

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"Hunter", by J.A. Hunter.

Last edited by Bob33; 04/06/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horn of the Hunter and Death in the Long Grass are tied for first in my opinion. They really stir up the juices to hunt Africa.

I have all of Capstick's books, but they are best viewed as Africa of yesteryear.

African Hunter II - Loads of relatively current information on Africa today.

Safari Rifles II by Craig Boddington, useful information, although he suggests you may be under-gunned for the big stuff short of towing around a 155mm howitzer. Still, his theme of simplifying your hunt by bringing only 1-2 guns and using a gun big enough for the largest game you plan on hunting, with the ability to get the bullet into the vitals from tricky shot presentations makes sense in my view.

Another extremely useful book is Perfect Shot Placement on African Big Game by Kevin "Doctari" Robertson should be studied in-depth by anyone who hunts (or dreams of hunting) Africa. I believe there is a second edition of this book out as well as pocket size editions to carry with you on your hunt.

Last edited by kevinh1157; 04/10/16.

Kevin Haile
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A Hunters Story by C.J. P. Ionides (Iodine Ionides)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tag

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

"Bears often walk in a bubble of silence."

Note: This means birds and other small animals (squirrels, etc) shut up when a bear is ambling through their territory.

BH63

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just finished "African Hunter" by Bror Blixen. It's an excellent account of what pre-WWII East African hunting was like.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

"Lions that are scared of humans during the day, lose their fear when the sun sets."

"Lions sometimes lie with their heads on the ground to pick up vibration. Thread softly when hunting lions."

"A bullet to the brain is the only way to stop a charge from a determined elephant."

BH63

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Last of the Few" - Tony Sanchez-Arino
"African Hunter" - Bror Blixen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Capstick is entertaining, but most of the stuff he wrote about, if it happened at all, apparently happened to other people. Good reading, but not to be taken as factual.

Ruark's stuff is my favorite, but the writings of people like Selous and Baker illustrate just how difficult and dangerous it was in the bad old days. It's amazing to me that those guys lived to write anything.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
"Hunter" for me. I read it cover to cover a couple times in high school. Have a copy here now. It and Ruark's writings lit a fire in my belly for Africa. Unfortunately,life and living somehow got in the way. My daughter tells me when she gets her Dr. degree she's taking me to Africa. Bless her heart.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa by Arthur Neumann
Hunter by JA Hunter
The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by WDM Bell.

I can't pick between these three.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any of Peter Flacks books.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Shadows in an African twilight- Kevin Thomas

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
G
G
Interesting, John F. Burger [Horned Death, plus several others] started my writing career by commissioning me to write several articles for his Durban based magazine "Field & Tide".
I love Peter Capstick's books & what raconteur does not embellish the truth somewhat in the telling ? Incidentally, he was my Best Man, some 31 years ago.
I think you have all overlooked Gordon Cundill's three books "A Hunters Africa", "Some Lions I have met" and "Fragments of Africa".

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tamale
Any of Peter Flacks books.

I've been collecting his Spiral Horn antelope series since its inception a few years ago. One more to go: Bongo. Good reading, all; although perhaps not the most thrilling prose I've ever come across, it's quite readable. Wonderful photos throughout, I must say. And the articles by "guest" authors are particularly interesting.

"Kudu" was the first of the series, and in my estimation, the best of them.

Gerry Gore, thanks for weighing in. I'll look for those volumes.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This could be a costly thread with all the books recommended and the adventures to be dreamed... Last year knowing little of the subject matter I did a reading swap with Rattler whom posted early in this thread. He loaned me his copy of this book and I can't imagine anyone failing to enjoy the adventures.
The Last Ivory Hunter: Saga of Wally Johnson by Peter Capstick.

Hope he's cool with it, here's a partial list of his library he'd sent along, minus the rare stuff... Included here for the potential interest.

Hunting Africa
After Big Game In Central Africa by Edourd Foa
African Hunter by Baron Bror von Blixen-Finecke
The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by Lt. Col. J.H. Patterson
The Book of the Lion by Sir Alfred E. Pease
Big Game Hunting in North-Eastern Rhodesia by Owen Letcher
Memories of an African Hunter by Denis D. Lyell
African Adventurers by Denis D. Lyell
Big Game Hunting in Central Africa by William Buckley
The Recollections of William Finaughty: Elephant Hunter 1864-1875 by William Finaughty
Lion Hunting in Somaliland by Captain C.J. Mellis
Snake Man: The Story of C.J.P. Ionides by Alan Wykes
Warrior: The Legend of Col. Richard Meinertzhagen by Peter H. Capstick
Death in Silent Places by Peter Capstick
The Last Ivory Hunter: Saga of Wally Johnson by Peter Capstick
Safari: The Last Adventure by Peter Capstick
The African Adventurers by Peter Capstick
The Winds of Havoc by Adelino Serras Pires as told by Fiona Claire Capstick
Safari Guide by Richard Conrad
Safari Guide 2007-2008 edited by Peter Flack
Hunter by J.A. Hunter
Hunters Tracks by J.A. Hunter
Tales of the African Frontier by J.A. Hunter
The Wanderings of An Elephant Hunter by W.D.M. Bell
Jungle Man by Major P.J. Pretorias
Bula Matari: Stanley Conqueror of a Continent translated by Eden and Cedar Paul
African Hunting from Natal to Zambesi 1852-1860 by Wm. Charles Baldwin
Lion by Martin Johnson
Eyelids of Morning by Alistair Graham and Peter Beard
The End of the Game by Peter Beard
Zara's Tales by Peter Beard
Bwana Babu by Dr. Joseph Greenfield
The Wonderland of Big Game: An Account of Two Trips Through Tanganyika and Kenya by Major A. Radclyffe Dugmore
Zanzabuku by Lewis Cotlow
The Greatest Tropy by Herb Neils(fiction)
From Mt. Kenya to the Cape by Craig Boddington
Where Lions Roar by Craig Boddington
Horned Death by John Burger
African Jungle Memories by John Burger
African Campfire Nights by John Burger
Buffalo, Elephant and Bongo by Reinald von Meurers
Safari by Bartle Bull
Pondoro by John Taylor
African Rifles and Cartridges by John Taylor*
Big Game and Big Game Rifles by John Taylor
Use Enough Gun by Robert Ruark
Shoot Straight and Stay Alive by Fred Bartlett
Hunting Adventures in South Africa by Gordon Cumming
Travel and Adventure in South-East Africa by Frederick Selous
A Hunters Wanderings in Africa by Frederick Selous
A Far From Ordinary Life by Fred Duckworth
The Last of the Few by Tony Sanchez-Arino
East Africa and its Big Game by Capt. Sir John Willoughby
The Best of African Hunting Gazette

Hunting Asia
The Hunt of the White Elephant by Edward S. Ellis
Trailing the Giant Panda by Kermit and Theodore Roosevelt Jr.
Hunting Trips in the Land of the Dragon edited by Dr. Kenneth Czech
Hunters of Man by Capt. John Brandt
Jim Corbet's India by Jim Corbett
Man-Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett
Temple Tiger by Jim Corbett
I Killed for a Living by Etienne Oggeri(Hunting in Vietnam, pre-US involvement)
On the Trail of the Indian Tiger edited by Tobias J. Lanz, Ph.D.
Hunting in the Mountains and Jungles of Nepal by Peter Byrne

Hunting North America
Texas Safari by A.M. Micallef
Hunting the American West: The Pursuit of Big Game for Life, Profit and Sport, 1800-1900 by Richard C. Rattenbury
American Buffalo by Steven Rinella
Alaskan Adventures by Russel Annabel
Adventure is My Business by Russel Annabel
Adventure in My Blood by Russel Annabel
The High Road to Adventure by Russel Annabel
The Way We Were by Russel Annabel
Return to Toonaklut : The Russel Annabel Story by Jeff Davis
Hunting Trips in North America by Frederick Selous*
Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles by C. S. Landis*
Wilderness Hunting & Woodcraft by Townsend Whelen*
Alaskan Trophies Wone and Lost by G. O. Young*
Hunting the Alaskan Brown Bear by John Eddy*
The Wilderness Hunter by Theodore Roosevelt*
Return to Royalty: Wild Sheep of North America
The Desert Bighorn

Hunting South America
Jaguar Hunting on the Mato Grosso and Bolivia by Tony de Almeida
The Jungle Hunter by Joe Cavanaugh

World Wide Hunting
Last Horizons by Peter Capstick
Death in a Lonely Land by Peter Capstick
Wild Sports of the World by James Greenwood(1870, in bad shape)
The Best Hunting Stories Ever Told edited by Jay Cassel
Hemingway on Hunting by Ernest Hemingway
Kingdom Under Glass by Jay Kirk(about Carl Ackley)
Big Game Hunting by Sancha de Montebel
Dangerous Game by Walt Prothero
Sport Hunting on Six Continents by Ken Wilson
Look to the Wilderness by W. Douglas Burden
The Great Arc of Wild Sheep by James Clark
Gamemasters of the World by Chris Klineburger
The Big Game Hunters by Michael Brander
Hunting Big Game: Vol. 1 & 2 by Townsend Whelen*
Great Hunters: Their Trophy Rooms & Collections
Great Hunters: Their Trophy Rooms & Collections Vol. 2

Rifles/Shooting
Guns of the Old West by Jeff Cooper(booklet)
Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders by P.O. Ackley
The Hunting Rifle by Col. Townsend Whelen*
Mister Rifleman by Townsend Whelen
Guns of the Old West byCharles Edward Chapel
Safari Rifles by Craig Boddington
Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading by John Barsness
Dangerous Game Rifles 2nd Edition by Terry Wieland
Varmint and Small Game Rifles and Cartridges by Wolfe Publishing
Hunting Rifles and Cartridges by Finn Aagaard
Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West by Mike Venturino
Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West by Mike Venturino
The Rifle: Its Development for Big Game Hunting by S. R. Truesdell
Accurizing the Factory Rifle by Mic McPherson
Metalic Cartridge Handloading: Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge by Mic McPherson
Keith's Rifles for Large Game by Elmer Keith*
Big Game Rifles and Cartridges by Elmer Keith*
Shotguns by Elmer Keith*
Military & Sporting Rifle Shooting by Capt. Edward Crossman*
Small Arms Design: Vol. 1 & 2 by Townsend Whelen*
Ultimate in Rifle Precision by Townsend Whelen *
Modern Sportsman's Gun and Rifle: Vol. 1 & 2 by J. H. Walsh*
Advanced Gunsmithing by W. F. Vickery*
Textbook of Automatic Pistols by R. K. Wilson*
Handloading Ammunition by J. R. Mattern*
Book of the Springfield by Edward Crossman*
Modern American Pistols & Revolvers by A. C. Gould*
Guns of the Civil War by Dennis Alder
Guns of the American West by Dennis Alder
Steel Canvas by R. L. Wilson
Silk and Steel by R. L. Wilson
Giancarlo & Stenfano Pedretti: Master Engravers
The Rifle in America by Phillip Sharpe*
Complete Guide to Handloading by Phillip Sharpe*
Experiments of a Handgunner by Walter Roper*
The Book of the Rifle by T. F. Freemantle*
The American Shotgun by Charles Askins*
Field Cover and Trap Shooting by Adam Bogardus*
Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers by Major Julian Hatcher*
Practical Dope on the .22 by F. C. Ness*
Practical Dope on the Big Bores by F. C. Ness*
Identification of Firearms and Forensic Ballistics by Gerald Burrard*

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
tag

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rattler's hunting library is truly impressive.

G
G
Bruce Kinlock's book "The Shamba Raiders" and there are another two by him is well worth the read. He was a decorated soldier and the epitome of a professional Game Warden.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.