Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
After spending 6 days in torrential down pours during the Colorado 2nd Elk season, I have come to the conclusion that my rain suit sucks. I've gotta invest in some quality...too old to enjoy wet...
I don't have money to burn so I want to buy once and cry once. Suggestions?

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey bud, glad you made it back safely! Bummer on the weather though.

I have a few friends that recently got into Kuiu rain gear and have nothing but great things to say about it.

Back when I was doing more back country hiking/climbing/skiing, I invested in Arcteryx shells for jacket and pants. Great investment in quality. Bit the bullet on price, but even made a good amount of it back selling them to a climbing buddy, after about 4 years of hard use.

Last edited by TDN; 11/06/15.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can get new with tags US MIL, made in the USA, goretex on eBay. I bought the top and bottom for 250.00 if you look. Tough, waterproof and comes in multicam camouflage .

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ain't nuthin works in 6 days of torrential downpour, ESPECIALLY if one is hiking/packing/working up a sweat. The question is do you want to be cold and wet, or warm and wet?

"Breathable" stuff works OK in light conditions and light exertion activities, but for severe weather go with impermeable stuff. There are some good designs out there (I hear) that ventilate almost on par with breathable membranes - which DO let moisture in if said moisture comes in contact with the membrane from the outside, and are slow in passing body perspiration. It is only the outer "water-repellant" layer over the membrane that makes "breathable" stuff semi-waterproof. When this fails after a few days or less of real weather (or bucking vegetation), gore-tex et. al. is about as waterproof as cotton. But a little warmer, as it does stop wind.

There is a reason commercial fishermen wear Helly Hanson, and not Gore-Tex, etc.

And yes, I have and wear both types of rain-gear... I just pick the conditions for each. And plan on getting wet..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm also looking for better rain gear.
I hunted 7 days of rain during 2nd season.
The action on my old rifle rusted shut.
I found myself wanting to change into something different after wearing the same stuff for a few consecutive days.
The only raingear I had that I liked was my LaCrosse Grange boots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
try frogg toggs.

Wag More. Bark Less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tommygs
try frogg toggs.

Got 'em. Love 'em. Used for 3 years now. Best rain gear I've tried to date.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
frogg toggs noisy junk that will tear

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

They have come a long way from their initial offerings. What I have is pretty quiet, fairly inexpensive, and tough as rain gear goes. Works better than the expensive Gore-Tex crap I've used in the past. Wife bought me what I have now as a gift. I was skeptical at first.

Only my opinion and experience. YMMV.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First Lite Boundary Stormtight Jacket and Pants

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

The old stuff certainly was. Fine for the golf bag though.

Haven't used any of the newer designs. Toad something?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
You can get new with tags US MIL, made in the USA, goretex on eBay. I bought the top and bottom for 250.00 if you look. Tough, waterproof and comes in multicam camouflage .

If you want to go the MIL route, I think I have a set of digi camo Gore Tex that was worn 1x for fit. I'm 6'1, 180# and believe it's a size L. If so, you can have it for free if you cover shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,
Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Frogg Togg will make you sweat!

I use a three year old FT jacket while coaching football every year from July to November. I'm standing the whole time and if the rain is much more than a shower, you're getting wet.

They beat wearing a trash bag and that's about it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a set of helly hanson impertech that will keep you dry, if you aren't hiking a lot. I love them but I do have a couple of gripes. They do not breath at all! If you are hiking around a lot in warmer weather you will sweat and it wont leave the raingear. Pretty nice for chilly weather though, this time of year is perfect for them. The cuffs are set up so if you wear gloves on the outside of the raingear all the water that runs down your sleeves goes straight into the gloves, not fun. They are also heavier than gore tex. I don't care what anyone says, if you sit in the rain long enough the water will seep through gore tex and you will get wet. I cant justify spending the money on sitka gear or kuiu when they just aren't durable either. A good friend of mine had to buy multiple sets because at any given time at least one is being sent back because they ripped. They do stand by their warranty but why pay that much money for raingear when you have to send them in repeatedly because they aren't durable.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EricM
Originally Posted by rgrx1276

If you want to go the MIL route, I think I have a set of digi camo Gore Tex that was worn 1x for fit. I'm 6'1, 180# and believe it's a size L. If so, you can have it for free if you cover shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,
Eric

Apologies for the late reply.Thank you and I appreciate the offer, but I have a couple sets already. Maybe some deserving youngster?

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Camp Dry

Spray your rain gear that failed you

Hang it outside to dry and air out

$6 a can

It works on everything

I even spray my Carhart chore clothes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
Ain't nuthin works in 6 days of torrential downpour, ESPECIALLY if one is hiking/packing/working up a sweat. The question is do you want to be cold and wet, or warm and wet?

There is a reason commercial fishermen wear Helly Hanson, and not Gore-Tex, etc.

And yes, I have and wear both types of rain-gear... I just pick the conditions for each. And plan on getting wet..... smile

This^^

My son and a grandson each killed a bull elk in true rain forest within the past ten days, and backpacked both out of deep canyons. Both wore commercial fishing chest high Grundens. They still got wet but it was a warmer and controlled wet.

Back east to mule deer country, we wear beathables.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/21/15. Reason: clarity
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure anything will help 6 days of torrential downpours bearable

I finally gave in and bought some true rain gear after getting drenched in an early season bow hunt this year. I bought Cabelas Rain Suede and have been very happy with it

First use was standing in 6 hours of steady rain during the Georgia Alabama football game pre game and game back in early October. I was basically dry at the end much to my pleasure and surprise

I then used it again a couple of weeks ago. Left the house in a torrential downpour because the radars said the storm was passing at about sunrise and I wanted to be in the stand. Rode an ATV a couple miles thru the downpour, including thru some roads overgrown with 5 foot soaking wet pines. It rained off and on all morning. Not only did I stay dry, I also had deer within 50 yards of me all morning and the fabric was plenty quiet

So far my only regret is not buying it sooner. I think I paid about $250 for the pants and the parka. They run big too. large fit me fine whereas I am nornally an XL in everything else

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Not sure anything will help 6 days of torrential downpours bearable

I finally gave in and bought some true rain gear after getting drenched in an early season bow hunt this year. I bought Cabelas Rain Suede and have been very happy with it

First use was standing in 6 hours of steady rain during the Georgia Alabama football game pre game and game back in early October. I was basically dry at the end much to my pleasure and surprise

I then used it again a couple of weeks ago. Left the house in a torrential downpour because the radars said the storm was passing at about sunrise and I wanted to be in the stand. Rode an ATV a couple miles thru the downpour, including thru some roads overgrown with 5 foot soaking wet pines. It rained off and on all morning. Not only did I stay dry, I also had deer within 50 yards of me all morning and the fabric was plenty quiet

So far my only regret is not buying it sooner. I think I paid about $250 for the pants and the parka. They run big too. large fit me fine whereas I am nornally an XL in everything else

I've used Cabela's Rain Suede sine 2004. Not sure if it's the best, but it works well.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.