-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just found going to Plystore for my Android that a limited function onXmaps is a free download.

Also my phone maintain functionality on a single charge for 5 days in Airplane mode. I used the clock, alarm and map views daily.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
onXmaps South Dakota Premium is $29.99

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 338WIN
SamOlson,
I have run into more than enough people who act like they own the land and bluster enough to keep people off. We even had an illegal outfitter in CO post signs one year and we were pretty sure he was on public land. Later, we saw his phony signs in the bed of his pickup. He was simply putting them up to scare people off.
Just about every time I have access to private land someone comes wandering across it and claims to have permission or that it is public land.
So great to know where you are and be able to show it to someone.
So far this year I was able to hunt BLM land that I just wasn't sure about before. Great stuff!

338, every year it gets harder to find good public hunting around here so I finally bit the bullet and upgraded GPS.

I hate gadgetry but the land owner chip should be pretty handy.

Now if I can remember how to use it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The land owner chip is a must have. Worth every penny. I have an Oregon 550 and it's been working like a champ for the last 3 years... Touch screen worked in 3 below zero in a snow storm. It does suck though, having to brush the snow off and affecting function though. There are pros to having a good ol push button GPS...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker

Been looking at this unit as well because of the larger screen and micro card capability. Do the models with an external antenna have better reception or just a different feature?

My main desire is to get one that is fairly simple to use, not a big fan of electronics that require a lot of steps to perform simple tasks.

The external antenna Garmins are supposed to have the best reception in foliage, bad weather etc. I use mine in combined GPS & Glonass mode. Glonass uses the Russian system to add more satellites.

I think it's worth putting some effort into learning how to use a GPS. It's a handy tool, but you only get out of it what you put in.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The GPS on my iPhone 4S stinks. I have two GPS apps on it and the better one can't seem to locate a satellite. The other one shows me a mile away. The $50 Bushnell at least can get me back to the car.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Foretrex 401.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The land owner chip is a must have. Worth every penny. I have an Oregon 550 and it's been working like a champ for the last 3 years... Touch screen worked in 3 below zero in a snow storm. It does suck though, having to brush the snow off and affecting function though. There are pros to having a good ol push button GPS...
My Etrex 20 with the push button works fine but I haven't yet found a way to carry it so the button doesn't get repeatedly pushed. It keeps messing with the navigation. I've tried a couple different pouches and pockets but it still gets punched.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
An example is one I saw just a few days ago. It was a well that provided water to a subdivision near Ketchum. The well is on Nat Forest land. In this case it's not posted but the water dept. has the right to post it if they think it's unsafe for the public to be close to the well.
Another example is summer homes on forest land. They have long term leases and I'm pretty sure they can post them if they want to.
I don't know about mining claims. They often have heavy equipment sitting around that they don't want the public messing with.
For FS or BLM land, the nearest district office would likely be the place to go to determine what's exclusive or not. For state land in ID, you'd need to go to the state land board.

The Hunt X maps don't show leases. They just show what's private or public. In general, leases are very small plots and aren't an issue for hunting.
Sounds like much ado about nothing...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For the most part I agree. I don't know of any federal land leases where access would influence hunting to any degree.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really relevant to the topic, but could be helpful. My Garmin 450 has the carabiner clip. I usually have some sort of pack on and I clipped the gps to the adjuster strap on the waist belt and left it on. Helpful to have the track recorded. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Garmin 62S and really like it, although its primitive when compared to the mapping of my iphone. I'm looking forward to the time when backcountry GPS units catch up.

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I picked up the Garmin Oregon 600 today for $219 at Cabelas. The base maps aren't that great, but I plan to get the Xhunt maps anyway. I figured for $219 it would be hard to beat.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really relevant to the topic, but could be helpful. My Garmin 450 has the carabiner clip. I usually have some sort of pack on and I clipped the gps to the adjuster strap on the waist belt and left it on. Helpful to have the track recorded. YMMV.

Do all Garmin units have the capability to leave it on and track record and if so, does doing so significantly reduce the time between battery changes?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know about all Garmins, but the Etrex 20 can have the tracking turned off and save a lot of battery juice. It's not continually checking the satellite locations that way. It's just maintaining the memory.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker

Do all Garmin units have the capability to leave it on and track record and if so, does doing so significantly reduce the time between battery changes?

It does reduce battery life. The Oregon 550, I carry, has an advertised battery life of about 16 hours. In real world use, I can keep it on all day when I'm hunting and have to charge it at the end of the day. I'd say realistically, I'd get about 10-12 hours of use from the 550. The 450 should have about the same battery life as the 550.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA, totally agree on the battery life. Get a long day out of a set. I used to just turn it on when I wanted to see confirm where I was. Now I leave it on most of the time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, totally agree on the battery life. Get a long day out of a set. I used to just turn it on when I wanted to see confirm where I was. Now I leave it on most of the time.

Yep, I used to turn it on and off. Batteries would last all 8 days of the hunt doing it that way, but hell it isn't as convenient as just leaving it on and the ability to track where you've been is great. Plus you don't have to wait for it to lock on to satellites. I just keep a few extra AA's in the pack incase I run low. I've got my settings as such that leaving it on doesn't waste a lot of the battery during the day. 15 second back light off and battery saver mode on. I also have a lot of the other bullchit turned off like geocaching mode. I also keep It in my pack in a side pocket where it is easy to get to when I need to look at it. While it's in that pocket, it doesn't seem to turn the backlight on so the battery lasts longer. I also run in WAAS mode and have heard that drains the battery more than the standard mode, but I couldn't see a difference.. One thing I like about my GPS is it takes pictures too. Crappy as they may be as compared to a real camera, it is nice that I don't have to pack another piece of equipment in the field. Here are some of the pics I've taken with it recently while out hunting:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The pictures are surprisingly good! I just discounted the camera (plus mine doesn't have one, anyway!)
Great rifles and gear, too!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In most of the places I hunt, I could find my way to the truck blindfolded and drunk. A GPS is handy, though, to tell me how far I've hiked and to find a shot animal if I have to leave it. The tracking is useful for that if nothing else.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (406_SBC, 14idaho, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 13 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.