Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Any feedback about the 150/168/175 ABLR in a 1:9.5 barreled 7mm Rem. Mag? Does the 175 stabilize at normal "book" velocities? Any advantages to the 168 over the 175?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Only advantage 168 over 175 is that I got the 168's to shoot in two 7 rem mags , both with 7828 powder. Both guns shoot -.5 moa. The 175 DIDNT group with 5 powders and differant seating . I'm trying the 175's in my RUM this weekend. Good luck

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
175's shoot good in mine with rl33

Double_D
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There is nothing good about these ABLR bullets. End of discussion. Nosler should be ashamed for the outright false BCs they list and they are tough to get to shoot compared to Bergers.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
There is nothing good about these ABLR bullets. End of discussion. Nosler should be ashamed for the outright false BCs they list and they are tough to get to shoot compared to Bergers.

They're that bad? I haven't heard a whole lot of first hand experience about the ABLR but I don't think the Bergers are what I'm looking for either.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My tikka will do 1.5 MOA at best with the 168 LRABs, but will routinely do .75 or less with the 168 VLD "hunting" Bergers.

I killed a bull at 480ish a few weeks ago with the Berger, but only got 38 grains of the bullet back (what was left of the jacket sans any lead) which is what made me try some of the LRABs upon my return.

Dead is dead and he didn't go anywhere when hit with the Berger, but it just left me with an uneasy feeling with so little weight retention...at that distance especially.

I really wanted the LRABs to work, but my rifle says otherwise and it wasn't even a close race.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 11/10/15.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think they will expand at low velocities better than most anything else but they have a much inflated BC and the jackets are so thin that you have to watch your neck tension or you will deform the jackets. They haven't proven to be very accurate in several rifles. I have personally never shot the 7mm version but my buddy tried them and they shot poorly in his two 7mms.

NRA Benefactor Member

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have some 175's but haven't tried them yet but have worked up loads for three of my 7 Mags with the 168 LRAB.

The first is a 40-XB that I use if hunting over a cut-over bought used off of GB. Two series with Retumbo and H-4831.

Retumbo gave four shot groups were as follows: 0.85, 0.8, 0.95, 1.2 and 0.6. Later, five shots with the best load were in 0.45. Another five shot group at a later date was 0.6. Three shots on another day were 0.55 and three shots at 200 yds were 0.3.

H-4831SC gave four shot groups of: 1.3, 0.85, 0.4, 1.3, 1.1. Later, five shots of the best load were in 1.2. Another five shot group later was 0.75.

A 700 CDL with a 26" fluted barrel hasn't done as well. First four shot groups with Retumbo were 2.8, 3.0, 1.25, 2.1, 3.05. In a seating depth test, I got 2.9, 0.75, 2.35, 2.35, 2.25 and 1.8. I tried another seating depth trial to confirm the earlier results of the best and four shot groups were in 2.5, 1.7 and 0.75.

The last rifle is 700 African Plains Rifle from the Custom Shop bought used off of GB. First attempts were with Retumbo based on results with the 40-XB. Four shot groups were 0.65, 0.6, 0.8 and 0.8. Later, three shot groups were in 0.35, 0.45, 0.25, 0.5, 0.4 and at 280 yards in 1.4 and 2.1. A couple of weeks ago I was doing some last minute sight checking before an elk hunt and got the following: at 100 yards, three in 0.6 and three in 1.1 at 280 yards. The following week, at 100 yards three in 1.0 and at 280 yards four were in 2.0.

As to the ballistic coefficients I can't answer but based simply on "Ballistic" I-pad app my point of impacts at 100 and 280 yards they were right. I KNOW....280 yards is not a really a valid test but that's what I got and haven't been able to stretch 'em out.

As with any other components, you never know 'til you try them yourself but two out of three of my 7Mags like 'em a lot.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll be giving them a run later this winter -

We'll see if they cut the mustard...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BruinPoint
Any feedback about the 150/168/175 ABLR in a 1:9.5 barreled 7mm Rem. Mag? Does the 175 stabilize at normal "book" velocities? Any advantages to the 168 over the 175?

Is that a Ruger or what rifle do you have with a 9.5 twist? I'd have to try a 168 berger hybrid in that.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I tried the 142 6.5s and they were like .050 or more off on BC. I shot them out to 800 yards.

NRA Benefactor Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I tried the 142 6.5s and they were like .050 or more off on BC. I shot them out to 800 yards.

Tips probably melted...

whistle

David

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If you check out www.longrangehunting.com, Bryan Litz gives tested BC's with two twist rates vs advertised of all the LRAB's. His tests show that the tested BC's vs advertised are between 88% and 99% of the advertised.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I think I'll try some 168's. The rifle is a Sako A7 Big Game from Cabelas. Not trying to shoot them real far for hunting but would like to stretch out to 1000 on steel. I've seen some of Litz's testing and I can live with lower than advertised BC if they'll shoot decent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
[Linked Image]

That table does not have the new 142 .264 caliber bullet.

My limited testing showed that it was about 90% of advertised. Pretty piss poor in my book.

I think I'll try some 168's. The rifle is a Sako A7 Big Game from Cabelas. Not trying to shoot them real far for hunting but would like to stretch out to 1000 on steel. I've seen some of Litz's testing and I can live with lower than advertised BC if they'll shoot decent.

You want to take a bullet designed to expand at low velocities and comes to pieces at high velocities which is harder to load, more expensive, has a melting tip and stretch it out to 1000 on PAPER- makes complete sense!

Last edited by dennisinaz; 11/11/15.

NRA Benefactor Member

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by iddave
My tikka will do 1.5 MOA at best with the 168 LRABs, but will routinely do .75 or less with the 168 VLD "hunting" Bergers.

I killed a bull at 480ish a few weeks ago with the Berger, but only got 38 grains of the bullet back (what was left of the jacket sans any lead) which is what made me try some of the LRABs upon my return.

Dead is dead and he didn't go anywhere when hit with the Berger, but it just left me with an uneasy feeling with so little weight retention...at that distance especially.

I really wanted the LRABs to work, but my rifle says otherwise and it wasn't even a close race.

Dave

You do know that the Berger bullets are not designed for weight retention, right?

Last edited by firstcoueswas80; 11/12/15.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I think I got the info I need. Thanks

Last edited by BruinPoint; 11/12/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 168's absolutely bughole in my heavy 7 WSM with 7828 SSC. I just did the 100-yd load workup but haven't shot them yet at LR; waiting for the fog to lift from the hills. They were very easy to load for, though that is likely due to the rifle as much as anything. It shoots everything I put in it, so far. I'm also hoping to load them for my Kimber, so, fingers crossed that they cooperate there as well.

As Dennis says, (hey Dennis! How goes sir?) Litz has seen some discrepancy between reported v. field-tested BC's. Worth noting is that the 168 is pretty close to advertised BC, and is very good in that regard.

I'm interested in them as a LR game (elk mainly) bullet. Field reports are variable as to terminal performance, but a theme is that they are quite soft up front. Still, there's not a LR game bullet in 7mm that ISN'T soft, so.... worth a try. I'll definitely shoot a deer or three with them before launching one at an elk.

To the OP- if banging steel is your intended use, try the 162 Amax. Much cheaper, easy to get to shoot, very accurate. Availability can be spotty. I bought 1000 this spring when they were around. Hopefully they still are.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a lifetime supply of Nos LRAB 6.5mm 142 gr. based on advertised ballistic coefficient.
I could not get them to work in an 8" twist ratchet rifling 6.5-06.
The ballistic coefficient does not matter if I can't get them to work.

I had to hunt with 120 gr Nos Bal Tips.
They worked well enough to hunt. Typically:
1" group at 100y
12" group at 600y

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Clark, I bought one box of the 168's to try 'em.... got back from the range a few days ago and ordered two more boxes, due to how well they did. I was actually going in with low expectations because in my research, I'd certainly seen a number of reports like yours, but the 168's were super in my rifle.

They are not a beloved bullet on the internets, that's for sure. smile

They passed the first obstacle for me (excellent 100-yd accuracy). We'll see how they do at distance. I've got a 12" plate that I can get a 450-900 yard shot on. I can torment it at will with the 162, so the bar is high.

Terminal ballistics is another thing entirely. I'm giving Noz the benefit of the doubt in that regard.... I typically kill blacktails at relatively short ranges so even though I don't see them as an ideal short range bullet- too soft- I do plan on testing them that way before using them on elk. Got a few years until I draw the bull tag I want anyway. We had spike tags this year for that unit, and found a major bull hangout. We saw several 6x6 class bulls in one day, and it's an excellent LR spot, so it really lit me up! Came back plotting a 338 Edge or RUM build but my 7 WSM should be adequate IF I can find a suitable bullet. Love the Amax on deer but from what I've seen, not ideal for bull elk.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff_O
Sorry for the interruption but glad to see you back after a long absents.
Cheers NC once again sorry for wondering off track.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Clark, I bought one box of the 168's to try 'em.... got back from the range a few days ago and ordered two more boxes, due to how well they did.

When I drove 900 miles to go hunting, I took a vertical mill on a trailer to give to a guy I hunt with. I could not take any last minute problems.

I now have 10 months to fiddle with distance from the lands with LRAB bullets.

And build a couple more rifles.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
168s are in the .25s out of my 7 saum.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Clark, I bought one box of the 168's to try 'em.... got back from the range a few days ago and ordered two more boxes, due to how well they did.

When I drove 900 miles to go hunting, I took a vertical mill on a trailer to give to a guy I hunt with. I could not take any last minute problems.

I now have 10 months to fiddle with distance from the lands with LRAB bullets.

And build a couple more rifles.

I've trailered machine tools so I can relate. Well done! That's a hell of a gift right there.

Lady Luck smiled on my first build.

I think you are correct to fiddle with distance. My 168 LRAB loads are nowhere near the lands.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I run the 175 ABLR in my semi custom 7mm Rem Mag. They consistently shoot well with IMR7828SSC and I have had 100% hit rates on "kill zone sized" rocks at 700-780 yards. The elevation dial on my Conquest has matched my strelok pro data perfectly so far. That means in my rifle the BC is really close. I average around 2950 fps with my rifle.

Even my 14 year old son has been having good success at 700 yards with this load. Fun to watch him shoot that far and turn to look at me with that wry smile. Fun times.

My 16 year old son plans to use this rifle for our cow elk tags this winter while I carry my Kimber 325 wsm. I am anxious to see how they perform on game.

Fh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fire Hawk, please report back on what you see on the cow elk with the 175's. Terminal ballistics are hotly debated with this bullet but there's just not a lot of data out there (that I can find). Mostly he said/she said stuff. The Berger lovers/haters arguing really clouds any long range bullet debate- too much heat, too little light. Similar to the TSX in that way I guess. The LRAB has the potential to be a real game-changer, and that seems to put people on the defensive, or something.

FWIW I am also using 7828SSC. Dober made me try it and he was right. Plain 7828 works great too but it's like trying to meter toothpicks with my RCBS gear!

The only two elk I've killed fell to my .325 with the 200-gn AB. Worked really, really well.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 11/16/15.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Will do Jeff O. I killed a cow two years ago with my 325 wsm and it performed perfectly with no drama. My 7mm Rem Mag is also an elk killer with the 160 Accubonds, but I am having a lot of fun at "long range" with these 175 ABLR bullets. Can't wait to see how they perform.

I went SSC because I needed it to got through the powder measure better. You are totally correct regarding the twigs comment. Can't believe I ever loaded those "long" grains.

I have used Retumbo with some success as well. But the 7828 works so well, it is hard to experiment when there are rocks to destroy. 😉

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 11/16/15.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
[Linked Image]

You do understand that these numbers are predicted numbers based on bullet dimensions only? The same bullet will have a different BC when shot from different barrels based on many variables. The only true way to establish the correct BC for each rifle / bullet combination is to shoot it at transonic - around 1300 fps and measure it there. Any range less will be skewed data. My 7RUM / 190 Matrix combo BC is .720 when the AB prediction is around .680. I am fixing to test the 168 ABLR in a 7SAUM and the 150 ABLR in a 7-08 Ackley and it will be interesting to see what the actual BC's are. Even the Berger 140 VLD in the Ackley is higher than predicted around .530 compared to AB prediction of .510.

Last edited by rifleman700; 11/16/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rifleman700
[Linked Image]

You do understand that these numbers are predicted numbers based on bullet dimensions only? The same bullet will have a different BC when shot from different barrels based on many variables. The only true way to establish the correct BC for each rifle / bullet combination is to shoot it at transonic - around 1300 fps and measure it there. Any range less will be skewed data. My 7RUM / 190 Matrix combo BC is .720 when the AB prediction is around .680. I am fixing to test the 168 ABLR in a 7SAUM and the 150 ABLR in a 7-08 Ackley and it will be interesting to see what the actual BC's are. Even the Berger 140 VLD in the Ackley is higher than predicted around .530 compared to AB prediction of .510.

I realize these are NUMBERS and the last person who needs to be told the difference between analytical and empirical results. It was posted to show Litz's investigation into the LRAB..nothing more. If I'm not mistaken, the numbers Bryan reported are live fire results.

Last edited by 32_20fan; 11/16/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

The AB numbers are not predictions. Bryan actually live-fires the bullets and measures drag by using Doppler radar. His experimental method uses the latest technologies and srutinizingly objective processes. So I'm curious what method you're using to measure G7 BC that you think is more accurate than Bryan's method? Are you using a chrono to measure MV, and then deducing BC via drop?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I was a .30 cal guy that chart would be a bummer. Those #'s are disturbingly lower than advertised. I like that the .284 168-gn came out where it did; .649 is just peachy.

My chrono is FUBAR (no, I didn't shoot it.... yet <g>...) so I'll be deriving my drops for it through shooting and tweaking software parameters to match observed reality, but it seems like that's what I always end up doing anyway, and it's "best-practices", so whatever. Who needs a stinkin' chrono anyway, right?

The 168 LRAB hits the same POI as the162 Amax at 100 yards from my rifle, so that's a bit of good luck. My software says they should be ballistic twins to way out there. That would rock.

Jordan, have you played with the LRAB at all? And hello, by the way! smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
"The AB numbers are not predictions. Bryan actually live-fires the bullets and measures drag by using Doppler radar. "

Now that I think about it this may be right other than I am not sure about the doppler part.

Last edited by rifleman700; 11/17/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I was a .30 cal guy that chart would be a bummer. Those #'s are disturbingly lower than advertised. I like that the .284 168-gn came out where it did; .649 is just peachy.

My chrono is FUBAR (no, I didn't shoot it.... yet <g>...) so I'll be deriving my drops for it through shooting and tweaking software parameters to match observed reality, but it seems like that's what I always end up doing anyway, and it's "best-practices", so whatever. Who needs a stinkin' chrono anyway, right?

The 168 LRAB hits the same POI as the162 Amax at 100 yards from my rifle, so that's a bit of good luck. My software says they should be ballistic twins to way out there. That would rock.

Jordan, have you played with the LRAB at all? And hello, by the way! smile

Hey, Jeff!

I haven't played with the LRAB, because anything I might want to do with it, I'm completely happy with how the 162AM does the same job, and it's less than half the cost around here wink

What you're seeing as a 0.649 G1 BC on that 168 LRAB is only when a 7" twist barrel was used, which almost nobody else uses in practice. With a 9" twist barrel, which is way more commonly used, the BC was 0.624. As you say, this should track very close to the 162AM.

Establishing your DOPE via actually shooting is, as you say, essential to actually making hits. But there is a difference between establishing drop data, and establishing a bullet's actual BC value. In order to solve for a given variable, using a basic scientific method, one must know the value of all other variables, and solve for the unknown. What I'm getting at, is you can't accurately solve for BC if your velocity data is questionable, or if your atmospheric data is unknown. And I would venture to say that if you're using a Shooting Chrony to measure velocity, or the nearest weather station to gather your atmospherics, those data are questionable, and whatever BC you come up with may not be the bullet's true BC value.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"The AB numbers are not predictions. Bryan actually live-fires the bullets and measures drag by using Doppler radar. "

Now that I think about it this may be right other than I am not sure about the doppler part.

Notice how the chart says "advertised vs. tested". What that refers to is the fact that Bryan actually tests the bullets to measure their BC values, rather than just calculating the values based on computer models and simulations, like some manufacturers do. I believe Bryan said a few years ago that he used Doppler radar, but it's possible he just used multiple high-end chronographs to do his testing. I'll have to dig into it, but either way, he used robust testing methods.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, gotta love the 162 Amax. However, I'm wanting a LR elk bullet for my 7 WSM. Have you shot anything big (or close up) with the Amax? I have seen one come completely unglued on a deer (in the vitals, so that was good) and can't really see using it on elk....

I know guys use the 180 Berger on elk. Contrarian that I am, I'm trying to find something else. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Barnes is still sold. LOL.

No flies on the bergers though, 195s have my attention, but as always when they expand like that, have to be careful, IMHO, of big bones.

But having killed past 800 with Barnes, I have no qualms with them...

Don't get hung up on windage.... you have to have accuracy and a bullet that performs on target first... then you can become picky about how much the drift is etc..( we don't care much about drop these days obviously)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Used it and seen it used on some elk, a couple of moose, and a handful of deer, at ranges from 40 yards to ~750 meters (can't remember the exact range, would have to check my notes). No blow-ups, and excellent performance. I've seen full penetration on elk and moose, from various angles. IME, the 162AM expands aggressively, but has the body length to dig deep. For purposefully close, break-neck speed shots, I like the 140 TTSX from my 7WSM. For everything else, the 162AM works.

Being a C&C, there's always the chance that it could come unglued on a tough target, and I guess your 1 deer that unhinged the bullet is a reminder of that, but by and large, I've seen great performance from AM bullets on game.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Notice how the chart says "advertised vs. tested". What that refers to is the fact that Bryan actually tests the bullets to measure their BC values, rather than just calculating the values based on computer models and simulations, like some manufacturers do. I believe Bryan said a few years ago that he used Doppler radar, but it's possible he just used multiple high-end chronographs to do his testing. I'll have to dig into it, but either way, he used robust testing methods.

Yes, you are right. I never paid much attention to this because I always just use Bryan's BC's out of his book and then shoot my loads to transonic and back into my actual gun / bullets BC. Also, I use ATRAG and the BC's are also different than G1 & G7.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Used it and seen it used on some elk, a couple of moose, and a handful of deer, at ranges from 40 yards to ~750 meters (can't remember the exact range, would have to check my notes). No blow-ups, and excellent performance. I've seen full penetration on elk and moose, from various angles. IME, the 162AM expands aggressively, but has the body length to dig deep. For purposefully close, break-neck speed shots, I like the 140 TTSX from my 7WSM. For everything else, the 162AM works.

Being a C&C, there's always the chance that it could come unglued on a tough target, and I guess your 1 deer that unhinged the bullet is a reminder of that, but by and large, I've seen great performance from AM bullets on game.

Good info- thanks.

If only someone made a bonded, high-BC bullet that expanded down to, say, 1300 fps but wouldn't blow up at high impact speeds or on heavy bone......... hey waitaminute..... smile

Actually that's the knock on the LRAB that I've seen in my poking around the internet: the front part of the bullet is quite explosive and the wound channel from the remaining back part is underwhelming. BUT, people say the weirdest [bleep] about bullets- stuff that's contrary to my direct experience. So I'm not writing them off.

Had a nice buck out under the oaks in my pasture today. I was like, hmmm! A volunteer for a bullet test! wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty easy for me to give the ABLRs a wide berth and stick to smashing sschit with Bergers and Scenars....

Tanner

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know far s fact that at one time he used equipment that he built with acoustical targets and shot the BC's over a 600 yard spacing

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot the 168 LRAB at distance today. It was pretty blustery. Started at 565 yards; and found that the drop corresponded to my Ballistic software well enough to hit a 12" plate. I was alone so most of the time I don't know where I was hitting it. Saw a few. Anyway, I just grabbed the bullet out of the library, set MV to 2925 fps (estimate), and whap. Speaks well to the BC being close to advertised, which jibes with Mr. Litz' data on this particular LRAB.

The bullet was shooting accurately, and handling the wind like a .650-class BC should, so it got boring, so I moved back to 775 yards. This is where the gusty winds started to kick my butt. Still, I could tell at least the drop dope still looked good.

I'm headed up Sunday morning with a 'Fire buddy so I'll have a spotter and should be able to update this with more and better info then. For a first trip up, in those conditions, in new brass, I thought the bullet did great. Certainly, it seemed like the 162 Amax had nothing on it- shot some of those today too. The rifle shoots both to sub-.5 MOA at 100 yds "all day long" "if I do my part" so it wasn't a surprise to see the LRAB's appear to do as well as the 162's out there a ways. But you never know.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were accurate out of my M70 270. Hmmmm...Blued, Winchester, 270, Leupie 3X9, Nosler. I did end up ditching them for 130 Partitions to add insult to injury. I have it all stashed away for Primitive Weapons season or when I become a grumpy old man.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

The thing is- if velocity was an estimate rather than a measured number, how do you know if the BC was accurate, or if you simply underestimated velocity?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't. I should be able to find that out Sunday when I have a spotter and less wind. Even then, of course, subtle atmospherics could be in play.

But playing with my software just now, at 550 yards varying the speed by 50 fps, or the BC by .025, only changes the drop by ~1/4 MOA. So heck... I'll up you one, Jordan, and dope slap myself in the process: even if I'd known the velocity to a T, it'd be wrong to pronounce that the BC seemed to match up. It could be off by .025 and that only results in ~ an inch diff at 550. A guy would have to have his [bleep] wired pretty tight to CONCLUSIVELY make pronouncements about BC at such a relatively short range. D'oh.

As a thunk.... I wonder what the "noise level" is anyway for your average lug nut shooting at LR? If you assumed a 1/2 MOA rifle/shooter platform, and at least a little variation due to ES, and a little more due to subtle up and downdrafts.... chrono +/- error, which is a thing for sure... I wonder what a reasonable degree of certainty even IS for this in field conditions. Do you know, Jordan?

For myself, hits trump all. If the gong is a'whappin' I'm a happy man, and I don't wander too far off into the theoretical tall grass, I'm too busy stuffing another shell into the chamber. smile But I'll be sure to be much more careful about even mentioning a bullet matching up to charts in the future.

So I'll say THIS, as I chew on my Humble Pie of the day: the BC matched up "good enough" to put hits on a 12" gong at 565 and 775 yards with what I believe to be a solid estimated velocity of 2925 fps, based on lots of chrono'ing 162's with this powder.

And I'll try to tighten things up tomorrow, with a spotter.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For those that don't know, Jeff is an Obama supporting POFS.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
People still support Obama?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Liberals like deflave I'm sure do, secretly anyway wink

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tells us he's wrong, Jeff_O.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Here is some helpful info for Obama voters:

SMFD.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
For those that don't know, Jeff is an Obama supporting POFS.
Travis

I thought something was strange when someone had good manners on LONG RANGE HUNTING.
He lacked the bragging, belittling, and impertinence I expect.
Must be compensating for something. I thought he might be a muslim infiltrator or an FBI agent selling child porn.

But an Obama supporter. That's nothing. Where I live, they are 70% liberal.

Where I hunt they are 6% liberal. I would move, if it weren't for my wife and grandkids.

Saturday night. Gotta go eat cheese and drink wine with some libs. If they tell me how much they want Syrian refugees to immigrate, I will fart loudly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It won't work, they like it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman

Tells us he's wrong, Jeff_O.

2008: HELL YES I did and I stand by it

2012: HELL NO I did not and I stand by THAT

2015: IDGAF about federal politics, will vote my beliefs, which neither party represents, and I do NOT talk politics on the internet.

If any of you for some bizarre reason ever want to hear my thoughts on the utter mess we have made of this country I will do so in person over coffee or a beer. But be forewarned. If you are "liberal", I'm gonna piss you off. If you are "conservative", I'm gonna piss you off. Dumbphuckitude abounds in both camps and I'm done pretending otherwise.

So there. smile

I won't say another word on the subject. And Travis, you can kiss my HWA. Bringing politics into a long-range hunting forum? Punk move, kiddo.

--------------

I shot the 168 again today at the same distances. I came away confused. I'm going up again tomorrow with a spotter. I'll report what I see.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fugk you, you liberal POFS.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You accusing someone of being a Liberal is like Hitler calling out Stalin for being violent.

Gerry.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
You accusing someone of being a Liberal is like Hitler calling out Stalin for being violent.

A guy from Canaduh talkin' politics.

What do you do for an encore? Talk about acquiring pussy?

Too fugkin' funny.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not hard to see why people are leaving this site. Politics should be left up in the loony forum above.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I could give a fugk who leaves or stays on this site.

An anti-gun POS is an anti-gun POS.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Not hard to see why people are leaving this site. Politics should be left up in the loony forum above.

My apologies.

There are a few here who would just leave this forum would be a lot better. Wouldn't take many either.

Gerry.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Hope you are not talking about Deflave!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Travis

Only absolute idiots fell for that schit Obama was spewing on his first run. I'm glad that several fell for it and decided to announce it to the world. Let's the rest of us know who can be duped easily.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So how about them 7mm ABLR's wink lol

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Travis

No one said a thing about your views just the emotional insertion of them into this thread. There it is.

"America"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

No one said a thing about your views just the emotional insertion of them into this thread. There it is.

You can't buy 30 round magazines can you?

And I bet you don't "get" what that has to do with the anything.

Funny schit.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

My apologies.

Apology accepted.

Thank you.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You can't buy 30 round magazines can you?

And I bet you don't "get" what that has to do with the anything.

Funny schit.

Travis [/quote]

AS it pertains to your stupidity on this thread, no I do not know. As to your first comment though, why yes I can. Keep struggling there skeeter.

"America"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Saw the questions on the 7MM AB LR so I will share my experiences.
I used this bullet in my 7MMRem. Since there is plenty of magazine length I throated the lilija barrel so I could seat bullets out quite a bit further. With a stiff charge of H1000 this load just touches 3000 with good accuracy out to 650 and good case life.
I killed three elk and a mule deer. 5x5, 6x6, and a cow. Average size mule deer. Ranges were from 150yards (cow)250 5x5,and 275 6x6. Mule deer was 325.

IMOP this is a very fragile bullet. I recovered one bullet (mule deer) and it was the size of a aspirin....maybe 40 grains.
Could only find jacket and lead in the elk.
The 6x6 was hit in the near shoulder and the bullet disintegrated and the bull took off on 3 legs. Three shots later he was on the ground, but it wasn't pretty. 5x5 was double lunged and went about 50 yards. lungs were soup could not find the bullet. Mule deer near shoulder destroyed and some fragments in the lungs. Took a while to find him but he was down with one shot.
No bullets exited and minimal blood trails. I will only use this bullet on deer. It may bonded but it wont stay together.
As soon as I get pictures out of my phone and camera I will post.

Lefty C

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

AS it pertains to your stupidity on this thread, no I do not know.

Shocking!

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
:::long deep drawn out yawn::: children

"America"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
:::long deep drawn out yawn:::

I'm sure your mouth instinctively opens wide every time a man speaks to you.

Dave

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
:::long deep drawn out yawn:::

I'm sure your mouth instinctively opens wide every time a man speaks to you.

Dave

Maybe, but you are not a man..
Far from it!
You are more like a pouty little 13 old girl who didn't get finger F [bleep] ed on her first prom date..

Last edited by Nrut; 11/22/15.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And the last two posts pretty much illustrates the internet, if you get called out just question the quantity/quality of their balls. Doing so is the resort of the weak pretending to be strong.

"America"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
And the last two posts pretty much illustrates the internet, if you get called out just question the quantity/quality of their balls. Doing so is the resort of the weak pretending to be strong.

Sez the pot to the kettle..
Colo_Wolf you are not as smart as you think you are nor are you special..
And that is the crux of the matter..
No one here is special though some think they are and when they try to express their specialness they often cause friction..

Have a nice day..
>grin<

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Comprehension is also not your forte Nrut. You have a special one there buttercup.

"America"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Comprehension is also not your forte Nrut. You have a special one there buttercup.

Thank you..

your pal,
cupcake

(not buttercup btw)
LTFOL

Last edited by Nrut; 11/22/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Saw the questions on the 7MM AB LR so I will share my experiences.
I used this bullet in my 7MMRem. Since there is plenty of magazine length I throated the lilija barrel so I could seat bullets out quite a bit further. With a stiff charge of H1000 this load just touches 3000 with good accuracy out to 650 and good case life.
I killed three elk and a mule deer. 5x5, 6x6, and a cow. Average size mule deer. Ranges were from 150yards (cow)250 5x5,and 275 6x6. Mule deer was 325.

IMOP this is a very fragile bullet. I recovered one bullet (mule deer) and it was the size of a aspirin....maybe 40 grains.
The 6x6 was hit in the near shoulder and the bullet disintegrated and the bull took off on 3 legs. Three shots later he was on the ground, but it wasn't pretty. 5x5 was double lunged and went about 50 yards. lungs were soup could not find the bullet. Mule deer near shoulder destroyed and some fragments in the lungs. Took a while to find him but he was down with one shot.
No bullets exited and minimal blood trails. I will only use this bullet on deer. It may bonded but it wont stay together.

Lefty C

Lefty, that is pure gold there. Thank you!!

I went up there to my LR spot with a buddy early this morning to shoot the LRAB's. I again came away confused. I'm going to need to hit the reset button here and head back to the 100-yard range and see WTF. I had shot a 5-shot group in the .4" realm with the LRAB's so I called it good and moved to long range. Now I'm wondering if that was fool's gold. I'll get back if/when I have anything meaningful to add.

Lefty's comments about terminal ballistics, at least at those relatively short ranges, are not encouraging. I have a proven 162 Amax load for this rifle- I used it to kill a decent buck at ~600 yards this fall- so the goal for the LRAB is something less frangible and more likely to hold together on bull elk. It may be that the LRAB terminal ballistics aren't up to par for that.

My buddy had two DPMS LR308's (AR10, basically) with him. I at one point owned one of the big bull-barrel LR308's, because you see I'm so damn anti-gun and all (Travis, that's sarcasm, kiddo!), and my buddy had shot it... It inspired him to get these two. One is set up for LR with a Nightforce. A really fun rifle to lob heavy SMK's with; very accurate. I built an AR15 from parts this last year, my 4th or 5th AR, because you see I'm so damn anti-gun and all (again with the sarcasm, Trav!), with a fast-twist barrel for the heavies. I built it just to screw around with 69 SMK's at medium ranges while barrels cooled on other rifles, etc. The only problem is I can't see or hear the bullet strikes on the steel plates! Hmmm.

-------------------

I see Travis got the drama explosion he so craved. I was trying to figure out WTF possessed the little feller to do that, then it dawned on me. I think, that HE thinks, that I have aspirations towards marketing myself as a rifle builder here*. So I think, that he thought, he'd better save all you poor naive innocents from the Pure Evil that is, well, me. So he went running off to his bedroom, put on his cute lil' superhero pajamas, and came charging back to save the day by undercutting my evil plan!!!

Am I right, Trav? Tell the truth now.

*bwa ha ha!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Would you prefer we go by round count? Or the circumference your vagina is capable of tackling?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
With a stiff charge of H1000 this load just touches 3000 with good accuracy out to 650 and good case life.

IMOP this is a very fragile bullet.

Those are "regular" Accubond ranges, even the 650 target.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Funnier than fugk.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Funnier than fugk.

Travis

Obama promised he would give an executive order to change Nosler's boxes back to the previous design.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
"I STAND BY IT!"

And look at the line of dipschits ready and willing to talk guns with the commie lovin' f-a-g--got.

But hey, he did almost shoot "A WHOLE BOX OF BULLETS" one upon a time.

Travis

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
LeftyC, which bullet weight ABLR were you shooting? [quote=leftycarbon]Saw the questions on the 7MM AB LR so I will share my experiences.

Lefty C

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 11/22/15. Reason: Duplicate post
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Fire Hawk,

I used the 7MM 175 LRAB.

Lefty

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Lefty,

I was afraid you would say that.

FH

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The PITA where I shoot long range isn't finding somewhere far, it's finding somewhere far where a) there's easy access to the target and b) you aren't shooting from or across a road, which is illegal. For that reason my practice leans heavily towards hitting a 12" plate rather than shooting for groups per se. I can hear the hits. I don't need easy access to the target.

But I was forced to find such a spot with the 168 LRAB's. Damn things group great at 100 but just weren't banging the gong properly at LR.

Found a place I could satisfy a) and arguably b) above and shot at paper a couple days ago. At ~400 yards the LRAB group was so big I didn't bother measuring it. 2.5 MOA-ish. I don't know why. No keyholes.

Google finds at least one other guy reporting something similar, over on the LRHF.

For reference the same rifle shot the 162 AM into .6 MOA at the same distance, same conditions, same session.

Shelving the LRAB's until I have time and energy to start from scratch with them. Lefty's report above certainly doesn't add any urgency to that.

I'm curious if anyone has a notion how a bullet could do great at 100 yds then fall so utterly apart at 400. Gotta be ES and/or stabilization, right? Same powder as the 162's (7828 SSC) and they show no evidence of ES issues.

Back to the 162's... In decent conditions they make my 740 yard gong downright boring.

Travis is looking for his PJ's............ smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRAB's are the Jeff_O of bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sure was a long winded way of saying they shot like absolute dog-schist.

Tanner

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But they didn't, Tanner. The dang things shoot great at 100. Last time I shot them thus, several of them, plus several 162's into one big hole about .6" across. From the hood of my truck. And that wasn't the first or only time they bugholed @ 100.

Well, it saves me the terminal ballistics concerns. Onward with the 162's. I have a whole bunch of 'em and they come in one hell of a fine box <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But they didn't, Tanner. The dang things shoot great at 100. Last time I shot them thus, several of them, plus several 162's into one big hole about .6" across. From the hood of my truck. And that wasn't the first or only time they bugholed @ 100.

Well, it saves me the terminal ballistics concerns. Onward with the 162's. I have a whole bunch of 'em and they come in one hell of a fine box <g>.

Since when do you need a .6" group to kill an animal at 100 yards? If the bullets won't group when you need them to group (ie longer ranges) they are dogschit, plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agree in principal, but in the name of science, it does interest me as to the "why" the groups went to [bleep] out there a ways.

Actually let me amend that. I don't agree they are a dogshit bullet. That's a very broad statement. If every bullet that failed in a particular rifle + load combo was dogshit we'd have no bullets.

I absolutely do agree that this particular load is useless at long range in my rifle, despite doing very well at 100 yds. First time I've seen that with a high-BC bullet and it got me.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I shoot the 168 lrab in my 7mm Remington mag, using h1000 powder. Loads chrono 3080 in the 26 in barrel. The load holds .75 moa to 700 yards on steel plate.

I've shot 3 whitetail bucks, 2 at a bit over 200, one at 643 yds, no bullets recovered and the bullet damage was adequate. All were one shot kills, other than ribs no major bones hit.

I've also shot a large cow elk at around 230 yards. The bullet struck her right below the onside shoulder breaking the upper bone of the leg, went through heart and lower lungs, and was found under the hide off side. The cow ran about 15 yards and collapsed. Shot placement was off a bit due to a 40 mph crosswind, which was a reason I shot as close as I did. My intent was to try a longer range shot on a cow elk, but the high winds prevented that. Expanded size was .545", weight was 92 grains.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Travis might dig this. Being a diabolical mo'fo, in 2008 I got a couple of Obama bumper stickers at the local retard headquarters. I was working with someone who pretty much worships Ronald Reagan and hates libs. Sooo, I took one of those Obammy bumper stickers and taped it to the back of her ride. Used tape as it was just a joke and I wanted it to come off easy. She noticed it after coming out of her chiro's office. She thought someone in there had done it and went back in and went nuclear on them. They finally convinced her they hadn't done it. She then fumed and thunk on it, and thereafter my phone rang. T'were an icy convo, to be sure.

Did I mention she hates snakes, too? So I ordered couple of fairly decent looking rubber ones and put one on her floorboard. She opened the door and let out a blood-curdling yell. :-)

She moved to Cali, but wants me to come see her. If I do, I'll be taking a Hillary sticker.

Last edited by DELGUE; 02/28/16.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.