Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I picked up one of the little rifles last week and was lucky enough to get it sighted in and ready to hunt this past weekend for my oldest to take his first deer with it...I really like this rifle so far...my only issue is that I've had some light primer strikes with the Barnes 110 grain ammo...like two out of five which is not a huge sample but enough to get me to wondering if anyone else has had any issues...I spoke with ruger and they said I could send the bolt back to them...but I feel like I could probably take it down myself and look it over/clean it if I felt like that would remedy the issue...any ideas?

"To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth"
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Haven't fired any factory stuff but mine has no issues.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had the same problem, especially with Remington primers. Took the bolt apart and polished the sides of the cocking piece and put it back together- several times over before I got it just right to ignite every primer every time. I think it was more due to the firing pin and how far it was screwed in to the cocking piece more than the polishing in my case. It was a frustrating process that I wouldn't want to repeat. I would send to Ruger and let them get it right.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Buddy of mine has one with the same issue. He sent it back to Ruger.
They told him to use different ammo. Sounds to me like Ruger knows there are issues. A factory new rifle should be able to fire any factory rifle ammo! Kind of soured me on wanting one.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Has anyone with such problems taken careful appropriate measurements of unfired and fired brass to compare with SAAMI drawings to see where the problem lies?

Short ammo?

Long chamber?

Both?

(measurements case head to shoulder datum of course)

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Everything seemed to be in spec, but the firing pin was not hitting the primer hard enough. I even tried to use once fired brass that was not resized with just a primer and still had issues. It seemed to be an issue with the cocking piece not being screwed down on the end of the firing pin. I played with number of turns on screwing it together until it fired every time I pulled the trigger. Also went to cci primers and have not had anymore issues.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a FTF with my .308 RAR which I attributed to a lot of oil on the firing pin and very cold weather. Cleaned firing pin, spring, inside of bolt body. Works OK at the range, but have not seen cold weather again.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A buddy of mine bought one for himself after shooting mine. It had the same issues you describe. He sent it back to ruger and they sent him another one. It had the same issue. (with more than one brand of factory ammo, if I recall correctly)

He fell out of love with it and went another direction. Can't blame him.

Like others, I shoot my own loads out of mine and have never had an issue.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine has been fine (so far). The only issue I had concerning light primer strikes was with some ammo my neighbor had loaded with some Lee dies with questionable headspace. The dies were pushing the shoulder back noticeably farther than spec'd, resulting in FTF and light strikes.

No problem with the Fiocci factory ammo I've used or with the reloads I put together over the weekend.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I reckon with my sample size being so small I think I'm gonna try and make it through hunting season and then let ruger take care of it...thanks for the insights

"To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth"
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm curious if mine will have this problem. I just picked one up this week. Will find out this weekend at the range. I don't have dies yet so will be trying some factory ammo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.