Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
You fellas are tougher than I am.

I do know a girl who has packed out a bull or 2 whole, including the head and horns, and she preferred a system similar to the OP.

She liked to split the weight left and right.

[Linked Image]

Another whole bull.

[Linked Image]

She has done it more than a few times but at 1300 Lbs she is sort of strong. laugh

But, can she make coffee?

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks like a good one, if pricey. Cheaper than back surgery, though.

I have a cheap 2-wheel, but discovered that the plastic, roll-up toboggans are easier to pull. Of course they don't push very well. The 2-wheel is hard to balance and the proper balance for level ground ain't necessarily the right one for uphill.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by smokepole
It figures that a guy who's too lazy to sneak in close would take the easy way out.... grin

I have been known to make it even easier. laugh

[Linked Image]

No, at 66, now I'm all about horsepower like here, whether in piston form or with the four-footed version. At this stage of life, it's tough enough to stay in decent enough core shape to battle an altitude change of 8000 ft for a week let alone carrying very heavy loads over very uneven ground. But in my early 40's I would do a hind quarter + while taking my time and over not very long distances.

I'm 6'0" and still 205 lbs but this year going from 1460 ft to 10k and then spending about 40 hours in the saddle in rough country over that week I somehow tore/strained a back muscle/ligament, and strained a groin muscle both of which took almost a month to heal. I hobbled around home and the hospital grimacing most of the time. Ironically, you gotta get tougher as you get older.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not anymore.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That looks like a good one, if pricey. Cheaper than back surgery, though.

I have a cheap 2-wheel, but discovered that the plastic, roll-up toboggans are easier to pull. Of course they don't push very well. The 2-wheel is hard to balance and the proper balance for level ground ain't necessarily the right one for uphill.
2 wheel carts are pretty much useless here. It's too steep, too rocky, and the trails are too narrow. I have packed a couple in a wheelbarrow, though. It's easier than a cart but you really don't want to go uphill with one.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Myself and two great friends packed out my bull in one trip just three weeks ago.

3 miles as the crow flies according to google earth

Down one steep rock and deadfall covered mountain

Accross a deadfall covered canyon then up and down one more mountain to the truck

It was a hell of a test of mental and physical strength and it hurt badly

We completely boned him out

[Linked Image]

I had the light load

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was glad to rest now and then

[Linked Image]

Back at the truck after over 3 hours with meat and horn.....cheers!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But I sppose it depends on your physical abilities

Your mental state......are you crazy?

How big the elk, how far and your help

In my case

We were in great shape
We are completlely insane
He was indeed pretty big
It was a long way to the truck
My help.......there truly is no better friends on the planet then my buddies

The Three Amigos and ol' sleepy

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It takes a really tough man to own an Appy, yet alone an Appy mule. I'm just not that tough. grin

I have packed bone in, hide on, 1/2 elk (whole elk 2 trips total) out plenty of times on my back. These are at high elevation, often in pretty rough country. I never enjoy it, but at times I need to get meat out quick. I use a Bull Pac when engaging in said torture. The worst I remember was two hindquarters, some trim, survival gear, pistol, and spray. Quarters weighed 98 and 97 pounds respectively.

90% of the time my elk come out on the horses though. In all the elk I have been on in the last 20 years, I only remember 1 comming out whole, the rest were in quarters. I would rather carry an entire elk out on my back, barefooted over a bed of coals, than disgrace myself and my elk by slinging it on a llama.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wwy
I would rather carry an entire elk out on my back, barefooted over a bed of coals, than disgrace myself and my elk by slinging it on a llama.

Here's one for the quotable quotes...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I would rather carry an entire elk out on my back, barefooted over a bed of coals, than disgrace myself and my elk by slinging it on a llama.
You must be in your 20's or 30's. Us old guys like to do it the easy way. grin Besides, I've never heard of anyone getting busted up by a llama. Read the thread on horse accidents.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You missed the point. Using a Llama is the same as driving a Subaru...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not at all. Subaru has spent a lot of money advertising in queer magazines. The American Llama Assn. has not.

In addition - I've found that pack llamas are chick magnets. I can seldom take them anywhere and not have women stop me to ask questions and take pictures. They're great ice breakers. If I was young and single again, they could be used to great advantage.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like using my llamas.............I think I'll take a look at those Subaru's.

Lefty C

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
3-tripped a bull and my camp 4 miles and 3000' down to the river a few years back. Not a monster bull though. Elk are a cakewalk compared to moose.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well I carry my elk on my back and drive a Subaru. I don't put my elk in the Subaru though. It goes in the Ford PU. I don't have a 270 either. Now what?

I believe Rock Chuck is right. Llamas are chick magnets. However I would still never defile an elk by putting it on a llama.

Last edited by Marc; 11/23/15.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

From left to right, Chris Peterson, Kelly McLean and Christopher Peterson packed out an elk from Idaho’s Sawtooth Zone in 2010 using their homemade Pack Out Bags that the family now sells online.

Looking at the loads, I keep seeing a thought balloon over Christopher Peterson's head that says something to the effect of "...[bleep] short straw..."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Marc
Well I carry my elk on my back and drive a Subaru. I don't put my elk in the Subaru though. It goes in the Ford PU. I don't have a 270 either. Now what?

I believe Rock Chuck is right. Llamas are chick magnets. However I would still never defile an elk by putting it on a llama.
Never yet had an elk turn down a llama ride. I've been very convincing.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well taken care of adult elk are 5 to 7 trips on good pack frames. Unless you are a monster, then 3 to 5 trips. Any other method leaves to much for the Ravens and Magpies. My dogs love Elk Bones.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My dog loves elk bones too. And the next time he shows up to help pack one out, he'll get some.

Originally Posted by baltz526
Well taken care of adult elk are 5 to 7 trips on good pack frames. Unless you are a monster, then 3 to 5 trips.

Unless you're in good shape, with a good pack, and willing to bust ass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
My dog loves elk bones too. And the next time he shows up to help pack one out, he'll get some.

[Linked Image]

Mine pitches in to lend a hand. These little dog packs are handy for him to him to carry some loin or backstrap.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.