Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I worked as a Electric Lineman for 38 years(retired now)I am here to tell ya our electric infrastructure is in real trouble.Real Chit will hit the power grid in the next 10 years,count on it ..Just before I retired we installed a 17kw whole house propane generator 500 gal.tank,glad we did.

Last edited by coobie; 11/12/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a couple of generators and a separate breaker box to hook it up to. Enough to run essentials but not enough for the a/c unit. The problem is getting and keeping enough fuel to run very long. I have little interest in a unit costing me several thousand that will only run me a month due to a lack of fuel.

It seems like EMP is more of a threat than ever, yet backup gensets and other power sources keep getting more complicated and reliant on computer driven mechanisms-the very stuff that is most vulnerable during such an event.

I'd love to be off the grid, but it seems like non-fueled systems such as solar and wind, don't produce much power and are expensive. I keep seeing kits all the time for $500 or some such. Then after a bunch of trouble and work, you get say, 300 watts. Wow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do have a generator, and a plan to can my frozen food if need be. I also have a wood burning fireplace, that I do not currently use, but can, and a chainsaw and trees. My problem is my back and thus my ability to cut and split firewood. I might end up trading my food for wood. frown miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
I do have a generator, and a plan to can my frozen food if need be. I also have a wood burning fireplace, that I do not currently use, but can, and a chainsaw and trees. My problem is my back and thus my ability to cut and split firewood. I might end up trading my food for wood. frown miles
I've thought about the electric problem for years. Unless a person is literally a multi-millionaire, about the only solution is to do without or to have a very limited amount of electric to run just a few things. Unless then, you've got a complicated gravity fed system for your water needs, that goes with the electric. A pump is one of the high usage items too. Then you're faced with some sort of solar set up to heat your water and the attendant gravity type system if you want easy access. Then you've got the problem of keeping the pipes unfroze.

It looks to me like a world without electricity will be stinky and dirty.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I was working on my generator system this past summer. Identifying circuits and balancing the load for the generator. With the processors in furnaces and refrigerators I am somewhat concerned about how clean a generators power is....

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
We have a small unit, 4000. but its enough I can cycle the freezer, and well pump to keep some water and keep from loosing the freezer. in the fall-winter spring we keep around 50 gallons of gas, plus what ever is in the cars. We have an auxillary coal boiler and Kerosene heater so heat is no issue.

We went 11 days a a few years ago without power and it certainly had some degree of suck. Without power the gas stations couldn't pump gas and the cell sites went down pretty quick.

I feel pretty good about 10 or 20 days off grid, but long term I would have to get to the farm over in NYS.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the processors in furnaces and refrigerators I am somewhat concerned about how clean a generators power is...

I can't speak to how much it helps but my computer and TV's have battery backups installed, so the power goes through them. We have frequent loss of power all year long and it seems to help out. It also gives time to shut everything down when power is lost, if someone happens to be home. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by logger
25 kw Diesel generator, probably about 300 gallons of fuel in tanks/equipment. Permanently wired into the house system, and can carry the entire house. Couple of small generators. House heated by wood with an endless supply of wood on the property. And for Jeff - 2 gates, 1.3 mile long driveway and good sight lines.

NICE!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8000watt generator wired to my house.
2250watt generator as a spare
1800watt generator set up to run my pellet stove. had a 1 1/2 gallon fuel tank that would only last 14hrs so i replaced the tank with a 5 gallon plastic gas can so it will run for a while.

plenty of ammo to fight off the ones that have nothing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
25 kw Diesel generator, probably about 300 gallons of fuel in tanks/equipment. Permanently wired into the house system, and can carry the entire house. Couple of small generators. House heated by wood with an endless supply of wood on the property. And for Jeff - 2 gates, 1.3 mile long driveway and good sight lines.
Logger, what's the fuel usage/hour on that unit?

This one's always tempted me, since I have the tractor size to run it easily:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36914_36914

Then I ran across these (Cummins air-cooled), from 13KW to 20 KW:

http://www.powertohomes.com/air-power-generator

Price is pretty good, IMHO, for a Cummins..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
All it would take is for us to lose our electricity and things would go downhill fast.
How many of us are prepared to survive losing power?
whelennut

whelennut - sir, you are correct. Without electricity food in the freezer would go bad
in just 2 - 3 days. And yes I do have a regular type generator. Been thinking about
buying another one. One of those new Honda inverter types.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Winco Tri Fuel generator. It will run on gasoline, natural gas or propane. I run it on gasoline.

It will run the whole house except for the central air. I keep it in our shed and run a long cord to the house. I an exhaust fan built into the shed to remove the fumes.

When we lose power I make believe we're living in India.
I'll run the generator for a few hours at a time to conserve gasoline. Showers and breakfast. Late lunch and then leave it on longer at night.

Works out pretty good.

Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by forsyth793
I was working on my generator system this past summer. Identifying circuits and balancing the load for the generator. With the processors in furnaces and refrigerators I am somewhat concerned about how clean a generators power is....

That's a concern for me, too. We have a gasoline generator that we bought about the same time as this house. I've never put gas or oil into it, I'm holding it in reserve for a lengthy outage and not letting it get gunked up for short outages in the meantime.

But now I read that the output from these generators may damage even basic appliances like my freezer - not to mention our new high-efficiency furnace that resembles a computer as much as it does any previous furnace I've had.

I think I should be rigging up some sort of battery/inverter backup system and only feed the generator into that. I wish I had better advice on the route to take.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had two years with no power, they would not run the lines from 2miles away...it finely got to me....now where I'm at (9 miles from the next guy on the line)the power fails .... a week at apop twice a year,plus many days,do to trees and snow and wind ...so I get to stay in practice !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i live off the grid have a 1000 gal cistern gravity fed for water, 10 k propane generator and wind and solar.

Propane stored in a 1000 tank. Takes about 2 gallons of gas on my gas generator to fill my 1000 gal water tank. I can go about two months on a 1000 gallons of water. I do laundry in town. Longer if needed

I can get by on wind and solar only without generator about 8 months out of year. But no microwave, hair dryer, vacuum once a week, smallish tv, satellite internet

schit does constantly break down need repairs. Better be handy

Last edited by ribka; 11/13/15.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I think that most people will be screwed when they need to go into town to fill the gas tank for the generator or chain saw
and find out they can't get any.
If you do get what you need somebody could follow you home from the gas station.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Redneck
Logger, what's the fuel usage/hour on that unit?

This one's always tempted me, since I have the tractor size to run it easily:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36914_36914

Then I ran across these (Cummins air-cooled), from 13KW to 20 KW:

http://www.powertohomes.com/air-power-generator

Price is pretty good, IMHO, for a Cummins..

Lee:

It is about 1 gallon per hour at our typical loading. It would be double that if we turned on the breakers to the hot water heaters and a bit more if we turned on our booster water pump (we have 7000 gallons of underground water storage on the hill above the house. It gravity feeds to the house at 37 psi and then we have a 3 hp pump that can boost it to 70 psi) Usually when we lose power we wait about 30 minutes and then turn on the generator. Our generator is built in Eugene OR by Wrico and is based on a Kubota 3 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine. In a power outage we mostly want light and the ability to keep our freezers and refrigerators running.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker
got it covered. been living off grid for 20 years.
Good man! I'm surprise more folks don't get into backup solar, as solar has gotten really cheap the last 5 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coobie
I worked as a Electric Lineman for 38 years(retired now)I am here to tell ya our electric infrastructure is in real trouble.Real Chit will hit the power grid in the next 10 years,count on it ..Just before I retired we installed a 17kw whole house propane generator 500 gal.tank,glad we did.
Some of them sub-stations are running on WWII technology, and most people would be blown away to know that or see it. Just think of ALL the old telephone wiring in an old house.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
4Kw Onan in the toyhauler, 25 gallons of gas. Swimming pool with 26,000 gallons of water. Mild winters in Socal help too.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.