Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My wife's an RN, found a technique for tick removal on CDC website that really works.

She removed one from me, basically by taking a Q tip and manipulating the tick in a circle for 20 seconds or so. Tick backed out, completely intact, no head - no sore.

Works well & it's cheap.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
If you're from Mass. and it's a deer tick, you better watch out for Lyme Disease or Babesiosis. The rule of thumb isn't to wait for a bruise or ring around the area, but to just take two rounds of Doxycycline on day one, and your good to go. The Lyme test sucks, it takes a long time and is wrong most of the time.

As far as pulling them out, I just pull'em out. They used to say is to flip it over on it's back and push it out.

Its not that the test is wrong per-say.....the bacteria unlike most prefers fluids like the synovial fluid in joints and cerebral spinal fluid and it can take up to six months before the bacteria load gets high enough to spill over into the blood where the blood test gets it. from what i understand its getting more and more common to confirm it via either a spinal tap or pulling some fluid out of the knee as by the time a blood test is positive permanent damage to the joints or brain can be done. and the rash doesnt show up in somewhere around 20-30% of cases depending on where your at as there seems to be some variability in the bug....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When we lived upriver from Lewiston, Idaho, we had one dog which was a tick magnet. When the spaniel had two or three ticks, this dog would have forty or fifty. I tried all sorts of techniques and solutions and nothing worked real well. Finally some old-timer told me the best way to remove a tick is to pinch the tick with your thumb and fore finger then pull it off immediately. He said pinching the tick causes it to turn loose very briefly. If you didn't pull it off immediately, it would re-grip and wouldn't come off without leaving parts behind so you had to leave that one and come back to it in a few minutes. It works! With the initial pinch, the tick can be removed with no pulling at all but wait a half second, and all bets are off.
I have read a bunch of times that pinching the tick is a bad idea because it may cause the tick to inject more saliva. Guess what? Ms. Tick is already doing so.
As I said, this one dog seemed to be a banguet on the paw for every tick in the county and I plucked scores of ticks from her hide. Strangely, she seemed largely unaffected by the ticks. In contrast, a little sheltie we had years later was nearly killed by a single tick. One day, she started having trouble walking with her hind legs seeming to lose co-ordination. Within a half day she was stumbling on all four. By about 24 hours after the appearance of symptoms, she was unable to walk at all but could crawl on her belly. Another three hours or so and she couldn't move her legs at all and in another hour her head dropped and she could do nothing but roll her eyes. I had checked her over but checked again and found a tick behind her left ear. I removed the tick and cleaned the area with alchohol and she recovered at about the same rate as she had gone down. Next morning she could crawl, by afternoon she was stumbling around, and by the next day she was a li9ttle unco-ordinated in her hindquarters. Another day and she was back to normal. I found this to be a bit astounding since I had been removing ticks from dogs for years and had never seen this happen before. Don't know what makes one tick different than another but this sort of paralysis can also occur in people, apparently, so ticks can be serious stuff, Lyme disease notwithstanding. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what you saw with your dog isnt a disease, some ticks have a neurotoxin in their saliva, more than likely would have been a Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni) given your in Idaho. the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis) found mostly east of the Mississippi will also do it. the RM wood tick is a nasty lil phugger, on top of sometimes having the neurotoxin they also carry Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, Colorado tick fever and tularaemia(rabbit fever, why some are touchy bout eating rabbits)

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, I knew it was from a neurotoxin but don't understand why some ticks seem to produce this while most do not. Just glad that most don't. All of the ticks I've had to deal with have been of the Rocky Mountain variety; that being where I have spent most of my life.
I recall a spring bear hunt up on the North Fork of the Clearwater River. This was a large burned area and the sheer number of ticks had to be experienced to appreciate it. The dog was weighed down pretty good with them by the time we got home and my wife and I had a dozen in our sleeping bags. Neither of us had any attached though and I was pretty happy about that!
Didn't get a bear but I made a great shot on a ground squirrel at 100 yds, offhand, with a H&R 45/70 (500 grain cast bullet). GD

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Actually, I think any kind of grease or thick oil will suffocate ticks. Vaseline, vegetable shortening, machine grease......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read about this but have only tried it once, and it worked. Saturate a cotton ball in liquid soap and place over the tick. In about 30 seconds the tick will back out into the cotton ball. Like I said, it worked the only time that I tried it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
Yeah, I knew it was from a neurotoxin but don't understand why some ticks seem to produce this while most do not. Just glad that most don't. All of the ticks I've had to deal with have been of the Rocky Mountain variety; that being where I have spent most of my life.
I recall a spring bear hunt up on the North Fork of the Clearwater River. This was a large burned area and the sheer number of ticks had to be experienced to appreciate it. The dog was weighed down pretty good with them by the time we got home and my wife and I had a dozen in our sleeping bags. Neither of us had any attached though and I was pretty happy about that!
Didn't get a bear but I made a great shot on a ground squirrel at 100 yds, offhand, with a H&R 45/70 (500 grain cast bullet). GD

all of them have it but its not quite the same as a snake bite....from what we understand it has to be a gravid female which means the larva and nymph stages as well as males can feed and never release enough toxin to matter. and even with gravid females it usually takes them feeding for atleast 5 days before enough toxin passes into the host to cause problems. which is probably why the immature and males never cause problems, they never feed for that long before dropping off....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The best dog in the world is my friend's husky/shepherd/? mix. Has some dark spots on her skin, tongue, etc. Years ago, my friend told about checking her for ticks after a hike. Found one on her belly, in the deep, thick fur, all swollen up like it had been feeding for awhile. Got her to lay down and roll over, and grabbed the tick with some tweezers. The dog yelped and jumped up. "I gave my dog a purple nurple!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife is my tick removal tool. Pair of tweezers, a small needle, magnifying glass, shes good to go.

Permethrin is said to be a good deterrent.
[Linked Image]

Of course being a manly man wink , mine is still in its original container!.......... cry And I'm starting my second battle with Lyme.

[Linked Image]

Ed
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My dad used campho phonik, kerosene, and dish soap at various times in a small bottle that was inverted over the tick on the skin and held there until the tick releases. Ticks, like most insects, breath thru spirakles in their body, not lungs like we do. The various heavy liquids cut off their air and the let go believing that they will not drown. They release their mouth parts when they do but I have heard it said that they regrugitate their stomach contents when they release.

I'm not an ento. guy and don't play one on TV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 308ld
My wife is my tick removal tool. Pair of tweezers, a small needle, magnifying glass, shes good to go.

Permethrin is said to be a good deterrent.
[Linked Image]

Of course being a manly man wink , mine is still in its original container!.......... cry And I'm starting my second battle with Lyme.

[Linked Image]

i went through a second round of it this summer smirk first was 4 years ago and after that became damn paranoid about the phuggin vampires.....so paranoid I'm pretty sure I didnt get another bite and the chit this summer was because i didn't actually kill off the first round and i was on e of the lucky 15% or so that has it flare back up.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
http://theticknipper.com/ Plastic side cutter with very fine tip. After removal follow up with Merthiolate because it penetrates to skin and bite site better than cream antibiotic.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm paranoid about ticks as I was the first recorded person with Rocky Mountain tick fever in California 60 years ago. I've since learned that an ounce of prevention is the best way to go. My Daughters and Granddaughters and I use REPEL. Spray out clothes down with it especially during Turkey season and in 10 years have not had an issue with ticks.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I spend most every spring day chasing turkeys, and can vouch for the effectiveness of the Sawyer Tick spray. Worried about odor so I didn't spray my bow hunting clothes, and why a tick got me.
Going forward screw it, I'm treating all my hunting clothes until we get snow cover!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll second the effectiveness of the "tick key" as mentioned in an earlier post.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used the Tick Twister for years since I saw a doctor in the ER use one a patient. Looks like a miniature cupped utility bar. Usually comes in a 2-pk with 2 different sizes. Slide the end under the tick body and gently twist out. Easy to see what you removed and dispose of it. Great for dogs with longer coats too because of the angle of the tool.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Tick Twister

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've just pulled them off my whole life and not worried about it. When I was about 30 though I developed a phobia about ticks. My 85 year old grandmother came to me one night because she had a tick on her rear end she couldn't reach and wanted me to pull it off. I begged and pleaded with her to not have to but she insisted. So I did. It was horrible.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finger nails. That's why the Good Lord put them there.

I'm coming off a near-zero-tick year. The little buggers were nearly non-existent at my place. However, most years they range from bad to horrible. I can thank the cold winter for that. In past years, I've gotten out of the car in late June, walked once around the house to inspect it for damage after being away for a week and found 50 ticks on my legs by the time I got back to the front porch.

I tried a lot of things. The worst thing you want to do is to kill it on your skin. The absolute worst infection I ever got was from one on my arm that I used alcohol on. The tick threw up under my skin as he died and set loose something that produced a swollen arm and a 6 inch ring rash before I could get to a doctor. I was figuring Lyme Disease for sure. The doc said Lyme was the least of my worries. Amen.

Finger nails and vigilance-- that is the best way to go. The big trick is to catch them before they dig in. That makes it much easier. Most ticks keep climbing until they find my scalp. I'm tall, so they've got a long trek. If I can intercept them on the way, they come right off. Otherwise, I use a well-manicured fingernail to lift them off the skin and keep an empty drink can by the bed for when I do not want to get up and throw them in the toilet.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 52 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.