Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
So I bought a Kershaw Field knife a couple of years ago to use while hunting. Unfortunately we broke the tip off of it while digging Ivories from my daughters first elk this fall. Now I need to replace it. I loved the shape and feel of this knife. Kept a good edge and was simple to sharpen back up.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

FH

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about a Kershaw antelope ll ?

Russell Canadian belt knife,
Kinda the same style

[Linked Image]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Interesting knife right there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy the best one you're willing to pay for.

Digging out ivory's can be pretty tough on a tip. I have a couple I'd be afraid of breaking the tip off of but I'd user something else.
BHK - Woodsman Pro is my go too if I'm going to be very far from my rig.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So you say the knife was decent for you,why not get another one of the same then ?

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
How about a Kershaw antelope ll ?

Russell Canadian belt knife,
Kinda the same style

[Linked Image]

This^^^^^^^^^Or the D.H.Russell Bird & Trout[same design just a tad smaller].

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VinceM
So you say the knife was decent for you,why not get another one of the same then ?

I believe it is discontinued.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The only one I had found in a few weeks of looking, was about double in price of what they were regularly ($60, the one online was $107). I called Kershaw to see if they could fix it and they no longer carry parts for it.

That said, I found a place online late last night that still had one. It was a fair price and so I ordered it. Shipped out today according the the tracking confirmation.

I was surprised when my daughter's guide asked if my knife was still sharp. We had two cow elk on the ground and I helped him get the first one started with my 14 year old son, then my daughter and I walked up the hill 50 yards to her cow elk. Together, my daughter and I worked on her cow elk while my boy and the guide wrapped up the other one. I had the second half of my daughters elk about halfway done when they joined us and he took over and finished it up.

He then started digging out the ivories and asked if my knife still had an edge on it. His had done most of two elk and dug the ivories out of the other elk. So...I let him use it and while prying etc., it broke off the last 1/8" or so. He felt horrible and so did I. He is a great person and was feeling really bad. Frankly, for as great of a job as he did guiding us on elk and giving my kiddos an awesome experience, I would have gladly given him the knife to help say thank you. I do blame him at all, he was great and extremely helpful.

Anyway, I tried to reshape it slightly and make it work better, but the tip is a really important part of that knife. We used it to quarter out a small mule deer buck my oldest boy shot a few weeks later. While it was really sharp, I missed having the point. I had to use a different knife on multiple occasions to start an incision etc. Once started, the Kershaw blade was still terrific. That is what made me decide to keep looking for a new one if I could find it.

Wish I had purchased a few of them when they were still available. Camofire was selling them for about $25 when I bought mine. Awesome deal. I've learned that ivories need a stronger backed knife for digging them out. Live and learn.

Thanks for the help!

FH

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 11/17/15.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I googled your kershaw knife and that blade looks familiar to a case fixed blade they sold. Razorback?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.