Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just bought a new rifle (M70 Win Safari Express in .416 Rem Mag) and am now thinking about getting another buff. I have killed two; one in RSA and one in Zim.

Thinking it would be nice to kill one from a different country, I am thinking of Mozambique or Tanzania. I would like one around 40 in with a nice boss.

Any suggestions or advice based upon recent experiences?

Thanks,

BH

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where in RSA and Zim did you go and who with? that would help in determining who to recommend.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanz has plenty of buffalo. I took two 40"+ in Rungwa a few years ago. Beautiful, classic landscape. Tanz is pricey even for a 7 days buff hunt. Must figure in the charter flight. Very restricted license. 2 buff, impala, zebra when I went.

Zambia has some good buff with more on a license.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I hunted with Safaris de Mozambique in Aug. 2014. Lots of buffalo, nice camps, great food etc. I booked through Wendell Reich. (http://huntersquest.com/).
That's me and my buffalo on the Mozambique page of his site.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wendell's outfit is top notch .

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For big buffalo nothing beats Masailand Tanzania, but it is Very pricey now! shocked You'll be looking at around $25,000.00 these days.

I'm hearing good things about Mozambique recently. They have gotten progressively better since they re-opened and revived sport hunting after the awful civil war.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not a Bantang/Buff hunt in Oz ? a fair bit safer, world class fishing and a cultural experience you wont forget !!

Plenty of other game to chase aswell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about the Caprivi?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Caprivi can be feast or famine. Over a couple years I hunted about 18 days to get a bull, and then he was small...but he was the only one I had a shot at!

Best to go where there are a lot of resident buff!

I like the Selous...ten days gets you two buff and there are plenty of them there. And my second one was 42".

Thinking about the Luangwa Valley for next year. Neither Zambia nor Tan are cheap, but I can't afford to many more "cheap" hunts!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Something's fishy here....

IC B3

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Lot's of great advice.

I shot my first buff with Steyn Safaris, a mom and pop outfit located in Barberton, RSA. I don't think they are still in business currently. My Ph was Abie Steyn.

I hunted with Tshabezi Safaris out of West Nicholson in Zim (although is was setup by Steyn Safaris). My PH was Kirk Mason, who I understand moved to Oz.

I would love to hunt with either of those PHs, but I'm not sure they are still in business. I had read that Abie had joined with another group to form Caracal Safaris, but I understand that group had some problems a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure if they are still operating.

I've heard Tanz is pretty expensive, but it would be nice to hunt the fabled Selous. I have read one bad review about a buff hunt in Mozambique, where the client spent a week wading through swamps without ever getting a shot at a buff. I am too old for that.

I live in the Denver area and they have Sportsman's Show in January, so I will get a chance to check out what's available and some prices then.

I will also be following up on some of the links here.

Thanks and good hunting.

BH

Last edited by BH63; 11/18/15.
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Stevil
Why not a Bantang/Buff hunt in Oz ? a fair bit safer, world class fishing and a cultural experience you wont forget !!

To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper "In what universe is a Bantang/Buff hunt a Cape Buffalo hunt?"

To me the African Cape Buffalo is the meanest, toughest, badazz animal currently living today (that can be legally hunted- since hunting a tiger on foot is no longer an option).

But thanks for the idea.

I plan on visiting Oz, some day (although I don't think much of their gun control laws).

BH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BH63

To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper "In what universe is a Bantang/Buff hunt a Cape Buffalo hunt?"

Live long and prosper.

To me the African Cape Buffalo is the meanest, toughest, badazz animal currently living today

You damn right it is....and the only animal truly worthy of being called a Buffalo.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buffalo hunting in RSA is about as expensive as it gets...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Buffalo hunting in RSA is about as expensive as it gets...

Sorry, don't agree Jorge. It's one of the most cost effective countries in Africa to hunt Buffalo.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It must have changed recently then. Because of the bug-free buffalo, trophy fees in RSA for buffalo used to be extremely high. When my friend hunted w Konrad a few years ago, the trophy fee was north of ten grand, then again Zim fees for buffalo are outrageous now as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are correct, a lot of South African Buffalo are bug free. One of our areas in the Northern parts of South Africa, bordering a famous area, is all what they call "red-line" Buffalo, which means they could carry TB. Not just the buff, but all animals. No meat are allowed to cross this "line" and not to be consumed.
The Buff hunts there are generally cheaper and one of the reason we use the area to offer better value Buffalo hunts.
Not for marketing purposes but merely to prove my point, we are offering 3 Buff in the area for 2016 at $11K all in.

Jorge, maybe if you know of any other Buff deals from our neighboring countries, you could share them here. It would be interesting to see what the rest of the countries are doing, and will also add value to the OP's question and might very well help him in a direction.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
11K "al in" for a buff hunt is certainly reasonable, in fact, it is a great deal. I believe my friend's trophy fee alone was 10k a few years ago. How many days is the 11K cover, what other animals can one take and what are their trophy fees. Zim currently right now (but I suspect you know this) runs about 1300/day on the Daily Rate (I don't know if the even have a say, seven day package), plus a 5K trophy fee, which to me is outrageous. One should look at Mozambique, that's where I would look for a buffalo these days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the title of this thread - "I'm thinkg of a buffalo hunt.." I think about one every single day. smile Need to make it happen again.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
11K "al in" for a buff hunt is certainly reasonable, in fact, it is a great deal. I believe my friend's trophy fee alone was 10k a few years ago. How many days is the 11K cover, what other animals can one take and what are their trophy fees. Zim currently right now (but I suspect you know this) runs about 1300/day on the Daily Rate (I don't know if the even have a say, seven day package), plus a 5K trophy fee, which to me is outrageous. One should look at Mozambique, that's where I would look for a buffalo these days.

It's a 8 night, 7 day hunt. The last 3 buff we took there, took us 3 days each to get, so by no means a walk over. It is a self sustaining herd. There are plains game there, but to tell you the truth, we've taken the odd animal there, and always relocated to the Eastern Cape for the plains game portion of the trip. ( by aeroplane) It would be easier to answer if you asked me about specific plains game, then I could check if they are available. ( Plus, as a non-advertising member, I don't feel I should post them here, as it could be seen as marketing.)
The nice thing is you never know what you run into. We come across Leopard tracks quite often, Hyena tracks daily, and you sometimes run into Lions that come through from the park. Always gets the heart pumping when you run into the unexpected.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanz is up over $15k for a 7 day 2 buff hunt.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I think the thing with RSA being considered expensive for buff, is that the hunts (i.e. daily rates) are quite reasonable (sometimes less than $500.00 a day), but the tariff (i.e. trophy fee) for shooting the animal is more expensive (say $8000.00 instead of $2000.00).

I agree that RSA is probably the most efficient in terms of time and overall cost than most other countries, but you are not really getting the full exposure of being out in the African bush with free-roaming lions, leopards, rhino, etc. like you might in some other countries. JMO

$15k for 2 buff in Tanz seems like a bargain (although I understand you may have to spend another $1-2K on a charter flight).

$11k for for 3 buff in RSA seems like a pretty good deal as well, although I wonder what size buff you would probably wind up with? I have two currently both in the 34-36 in range (although both have nice bosses) and from what I hear it is quite common to have a sliding trophy fee in RSA based upon the size of the horns. I wouldn't do one of those hunts, just on principle.

BH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the thing with RSA being considered expensive for buff, is that the hunts (i.e. daily rates) are quite reasonable (sometimes less than $500.00 a day), but the tariff (i.e. trophy fee) for shooting the animal is more expensive (say $8000.00 instead of $2000.00).

I agree that RSA is probably the most efficient in terms of time and overall cost than most other countries, but you are not really getting the full exposure of being out in the African bush with free-roaming lions, leopards, rhino, etc. like you might in some other countries. JMO

$15k for 2 buff in Tanz seems like a bargain (although I understand you may have to spend another $1-2K on a charter flight).

$11k for for 3 buff in RSA seems like a pretty good deal as well, although I wonder what size buff you would probably wind up with? I have two currently both in the 34-36 in range (although both have nice bosses) and from what I hear it is quite common to have a sliding trophy fee in RSA based upon the size of the horns. I wouldn't do one of those hunts, just on principle.

BH

Just to clarify, it's not 3 buff for 11K. They are 11K each. We just have three of these buff available at that rate. I also think that you are a little off on the charter flights in Tanz. You looking at closer to 3.5K.

Size on this deal is up to 40".
If we say 39" and it's 41", it's your good luck.
I will eventually shoot one for myself, I guess,and when that time comes, it will be a 33" worn down, no hooks, knarly cracked boss, white faced dagga boy, rather than just a 40" hard bossed bull. But, that's just me.

We don't work on a sliding scale for any animals. Buff are below and above 40" classes. That's it.
I actually saw an excellent explanation for the sliding scale by an operator in Namibia once. Someone asked him, why he chooses to have a sliding scale, and his response was as follows. If someone requests a 40"+ Oryx, it might take him 3 days to find such an animal. That is 3 days of time, 3 days of fuel used and 3 days of effort required, possibly numerous stalks to find one animal. Therefor, those animals carry a higher price tag, so I understand the logic from the operators side.
Some might say, what if you find the animal around the first corner? Well, what about those who search for 5 days and never get it? Who loses out then?
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Marius, will you be coming to DSC?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

That doesn't include travel and charters of around $6,000.00, trophy care and shipping, logistics here through customs, etc, shipping to a taxidermist, tips, bribes...and so on.

It gets right on up to $25,000 in a hurry, and the second buffalo is around $2,800.00, I believe.

Still, It's a once in a lifetime experience for many of us, wherever you go. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marius, will you be coming to DSC?

Hi Jorge,
I'm only attending a show in Buffalo, NY in 2016 during March. Two days ago, they sold a DSC booth at the PHASA convention for $15,5K, which is just ridiculous.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
YIKES. that is ridiculous.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
KMG,

Thanks for the clarification. So for an $11k buff, I assume that is just the trophy fee (or does that include the daily rate as well)?

BH

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
On my last safari (way back in 2004) I was really disappointed on how the South African Airlines service had degraded (apparently the airline was nationalized).

I was also hit up for "beer money" by the airport gun inspectors on my way out.

And to had insult to injury, the zippers on my luggage were destroyed by Airport security (rather than cut the locks, they just ripped out the zippers).

I've also heard a lot of stories about travelers getting cameras and so forth, stolen by either airport security or luggage handlers.

Has all of sub-Sahara Africa turned into nothing but a den of graft, bribes, and thievery?

Just wondering.

BH

Last edited by BH63; 11/20/15.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
BH63,

Either we had the same gun inspector, or they are all a bunch of thieves. I was also hit up for "beer money" by a gun inspector when transferring from a flight from Bloemfontaine, RSA to Windhoek, Namibia, and passing through Johannesburg.

BTW, I killed a nice Buffalo in the Free State this August and the trophy fee was $13,200. If it weren't for a friend being my PH, I would have gone to Mozambique.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 11/20/15.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KMG,

Thanks for the clarification. So for an $11k buff, I assume that is just the trophy fee (or does that include the daily rate as well)?

BH

Trophy fee + Daily Rates.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

I live in the Denver area and they have Sportsman's Show in January, so I will get a chance to check out what's available and some prices then.

BH

I went to this show last year. It's a bottom-feeder show, in my opinion. If you want to shoot a buffalo on a game farm, there are plenty of options in Denver. If you want a real hunt, which you've said that's what you are wanting, I would go to Dallas SCI or to Vegas for viable options.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BH: Highly recommend Corris Ferreira at Track-A-Hunt Safaris Gache Gache Campfire Area on Lake Kariba. PM me and I will send you some pictures.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no doubt that South Africa is still one of your most stable choices. Why not hunt one of the unfenced reserves to the park?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by kscowboy01

I went to this show last year. It's a bottom-feeder show, in my opinion. If you want to shoot a buffalo on a game farm, there are plenty of options in Denver. If you want a real hunt, which you've said that's what you are wanting, I would go to Dallas SCI or to Vegas for viable options.

A very rude thing to say IMO. I have seen some big name outfitters at the Denver Sportsman Show.

I've been told that the SCI show in Reno is the biggest and the best.

BH63

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

BH63

In my experience biggest and best are mutually exclusive. smile I think DSC is the best.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CharlesL

BH63

In my experience biggest and best are mutually exclusive. smile I think DSC is the best.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well I haven't been to either, so I'll have to take your word for it.

BH63

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone ever hunt with JVZ Safaris?

BH63

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A very rude thing to say IMO. I have seen some big name outfitters at the Denver Sportsman Show.

BH63

I've been to both, and they both are really, very good.

DSC is about the size the SCI was in 1990. Big but managable.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

BH63

Steinbrenner, why don't you and jorgeI find your way to DSC. It would be the perfect opportunity to meet you guys in person and let you guys buy me some beers......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am at DSC every year, have been since 06. We usually arrive Wednesday and stay until Sunday. Our schedules are usually booked in the evenings, but open for lunch and or cocktails anytime!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll be there this year as well, looks like arriving Friday evening and leaving Sunday morning. Lunch get-together of 24HCF folks has been a tradition the past couple of years.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I'll be there this year as well, looks like arriving Friday evening and leaving Sunday morning. Lunch get-together of 24HCF folks has been a tradition the past couple of years.

Y'all got a spare seat I can occupy? grin

I've been itching to shake Jorge's hand for quite a while.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone ever hunt with JVZ Safaris?

BH63

I guess not. frown

BH63

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

I've been itching to shake his hand too. When he found out the year before last that he was gonna be on the hook for lunch, he came up with some kind of mysterious injury or something and went AWOL...... smile

I'll be there Friday and Saturday too. I'd love to meet all the 24HCF guys too/again. I'm in for lunch if anybody's interested.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anybody ever hunt with Dudley Rogers out of West Nicholson, Zim?

He has a 10-day buff hunt in Gowke South for $15K.

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Ed

I've been itching to shake his hand too. When he found out the year before last that he was gonna be on the hook for lunch, he came up with some kind of mysterious injury or something and went AWOL...... smile

I'll be there Friday and Saturday too. I'd love to meet all the 24HCF guys too/again. I'm in for lunch if anybody's interested.

Lads, I'm up for a lunch date, but we need to decide so I can plan ahead. Just let me know. Friday is best for me.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
^
Thanks for totally hi-jacking the thread.

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're welcome. I figured since you were generating about as much interest as watching paint dry, my mere presence might generate some comments...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^

BH63

Like sitting around a real campfire. If you think Campfire threads don't wander, well, you're in for a surprise. Enjoy the ride. You might learn some things you didn't expect to. I certainly have.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Ed

Lads, I'm up for a lunch date, but we need to decide so I can plan ahead. Just let me know. Friday is best for me.

Jorge, I've done some informal polling and it looks like we'll have a lot more folks there on Saturday than on Friday. Can you make that work?

Apparently you're a celebrity here! Please bring some 8X10's, I'll bring a Sharpie for you to sign them... wink

But seriously, I'm gonna start a couple of threads here to get folks made aware. One here in Africa, and perhaps one on the Ask Gunwriters forum. I hesitate to put anything about this on the Hunter's Campfire...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll make Saturday lunch work. There are some GOOD restaurants at the Omni proper and there within a couple of minutes walking distance of the Convention through the archway. The main restaurant at the Omni by the mail lobby is pretty good and it should be reasonably easy to get a table.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BH63

Steinbrenner, why don't you and jorgeI find your way to DSC. It would be the perfect opportunity to meet you guys in person and let you guys buy me some beers......

I won't make it this year. Bad part of the month for me to get away. However, I'd sure enjoy the rendezvous. Bet we could find some Tex Mex and some cold ones to annihilate!! Joe T. Garcia's, anyone???

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
^

BH63

Like sitting around a real campfire. If you think Campfire threads don't wander, well, you're in for a surprise. Enjoy the ride. You might learn some things you didn't expect to. I certainly have.

Yes and just like real campfires there is always the one guy who gets up and pizzes in the fire, and the other yokels who laugh at the smell, thinking this is height of sophisticated hilarity.

If posters want to discuss meeting up at the DSC, they should create a new thread or go to Matchmaker.com so they can hook up IMO.

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If posters want to discuss meeting up at the DSC, they should create a new thread or go to Matchmaker.com so they can hook up IMO.

BH63

Opinions are like rectal orifices, everyone has one and they ALL stink(well, 'xceptin' for Naval Aviators) . Yours apparently more so, must be from your panties getting in a wad in your buttcrack. Here's another hint, the fact nobody responds to your queries might be another hint regarding your personality...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
^

BH63

Fill out one of these and send it to the Mods...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

BH63

Oh, yes, you will find Ivan Carter in the booth next to the one selling Sugar Gliders.

Jim Shockey will be in another booth next to the one selling a revolutionary new can opener.

Go to Dallas or Reno/Vegas and see a real show. You don't know what you are missing. It's a bottom-feeder show and pales in comparison to SCI, DSC, and FNAWS. I will stand by this statement, as it may be rude but it's a fact.

Last year, I went to the Denver show and then caught a flight to DSC the next day. I attended both within 24 hours of each other. I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 12/21/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^

BH63

Yes and just like real campfires there is always the one guy who gets up and pizzes in the fire, and the other yokels who laugh at the smell, thinking this is height of sophisticated hilarity.

BH63

You sound like a real barrel of fun. I work at a damn serious business all week long. This board is fun for me and has been for a long time. A newbie like you are not likely to change it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I know all about the old timers on forums who form their little cliques and gang up on independents. I outgrew all of that in the 10th grade.

Grow up.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Something's fishy here....

I figured this thread was doomed with this post. Turns out I was right. Boys will be boys no matter how old they are.

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Took three pages to figure out, did it?

Last edited by jorgeI; 12/22/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Come lads, let's play nice.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess who's going to Mozambique in two weeks for a fishing trip....

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^

BH63

BH63

You haven't been around here very long, especially the African Forum which tends to be not so confrontational. It has been usual and customary to give shout outs in this Forum before DSC or SCI shows. No one every seemed to have an issue with it before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Guess who's going to Mozambique in two weeks for a fishing trip....

If it's you, then you SUCK! smile

Deep sea fishing in the Mozambique Channel??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yip... smile Just wish I could take the rifle and get something from that area. East African Bushbuck will do. Not too much to ask, but the effort for the rifle is just too much trouble for the 5 days.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh.....and have been invited on a hunting trip to the Caprivi late next year to take care of the extra quota.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know all about the old timers on forums who form their little cliques and gang up on independents. I outgrew all of that in the 10th grade.

Grow up.

At north of a half century I'm quite mature thank you. You can also review my posts and find I'm pretty much as welcoming as anyone but I do look poorly on new people, virtual or real, who show up and think that they can change an environment to suit their ways that has existed quite nicely without them for years.

Looking forward to DSC sometime. Just comes at a bad time of the year for me to make it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh.....and have been invited on a hunting trip to the Caprivi late next year to take care of the extra quota.

Oh, my envy meter is of the scale right now!!

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I apologize if I play too rough for some of you boys, but I've never been one to suffer fools gladly (or quietly).

I also understand ex fighter pilots all suffer from hemorrhoids so jorgie you are forgiven as well.

I actually got a PM from one member that was quite helpful in regards to the thread topic.

Cheers,

BH63

PS It is important in life to know the difference between an inkunzi and inkabi. What works with one doesn't necessarily work with the other.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
^

BH63

So, do you THINK this had anything to do with this whole issue there, sport? "jorgie" and fighter pilot. You are just hell bent on starting a dustup, ain't you?

Listen, Ace, I don't know who you are, and at this point even care, but most here eventually either stay and contribute, or soon are outed as a troll. Do carry on, but you're a long way from posting any kind of bona fides here and getting your thongs in a wad about crap like this, well, you are well on your way....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fishing in Mozambique, hunting the Caprivi, and let us not forget you live and hunt in the beautiful Eastern Cape of RSA AND eat biltong and Eland steaks all frickin' year... yeah, safe to say you SUCK Marius! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a new rifle (M70 Win Safari Express in .416 Rem Mag) and am now thinking about getting another buff. I have killed two; one in RSA and one in Zim.

Thinking it would be nice to kill one from a different country, I am thinking of Mozambique or Tanzania. I would like one around 40 in with a nice boss.

Any suggestions or advice based upon recent experiences?

Thanks,

BH

Not to disparage the campfire, however, questions, inquiries, and all things Africa is best over at AR

http://forums.accuratereloading.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
THIS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Fishing in Mozambique, hunting the Caprivi, and let us not forget you live and hunt in the beautiful Eastern Cape of RSA AND eat biltong and Eland steaks all frickin' year... yeah, safe to say you SUCK Marius! grin

I'll make sure to come and post a report. smile

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're all heart!
Om pret te he wat jy waardeloos rooinek! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very good hatari!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Merry Christmas to, Fost, Pugs, Jorge, JJ, and all the other rooineks that frequent the Africa Forum and make it fun!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Merry Christmas gentlemen!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Merry Christmas all. Keep the reason for the season.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
^

BH63

So, do you THINK this had anything to do with this whole issue there, sport? "jorgie" and fighter pilot. You are just hell bent on starting a dustup, ain't you?

Listen, Ace, I don't know who you are, and at this point even care, but most here eventually either stay and contribute, or soon are outed as a troll. Do carry on, but you're a long way from posting any kind of bona fides here and getting your thongs in a wad about crap like this, well, you are well on your way....

Christmas Greetings Jorge.

I would agree BH63 took things a bit personally. However if bona fides or simply days on the ground are the only thing that matters, these forums would grow tiresome quickly. There are precious few guys around with your level of experience.

I believe using this experience to assist the new guys, even when they get upset that their thread got hi-jacked is the true purpose of internet forums. We need MORE contributors not fewer. Anything we as a demographic can do to encourage new guys, we need to choose that direction over running them off.

Regards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The bona fides were just as response to the many folks we've had here in the past who've posted been there and done that and turn out to be trolls. Not saying this is the case here, and BTW, my level of experience is not much more than a neophyte and I've never claimed anything else. Guys like you, Hatari, Ingwe and others are the real experts here. And hell, I wasn't even the one who "hijacked" the thread.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The bona fides were just as response to the many folks we've had here in the past who've posted been there and done that and turn out to be trolls. Not saying this is the case here, and BTW, my level of experience is not much more than a neophyte and I've never claimed anything else. Guys like you, Hatari, Ingwe and others are the real experts here. And hell, I wasn't even the one who "hijacked" the thread.

I know, I don't think his thread was even jacked that bad. My whole point is; we as a demographic are relics & becoming endangered. We need to make an effort to resemble a solid group.

I went to a Firebirds restaurant last Sunday evening. They "had" a bull Elk mount on their fireplace. I noticed it gone. I called the waitress over and asked for the manager. She told my wife and I that there had been a new policy come down from corporate. Remove all taxidermy, from all restaurants. She even commented that she had just been transferred from a Pennsylvania location and she had removed a Bison from that one.

I asked for a corporate email address. Wrote a response and copied every hunter I know, lots of guys from AR as well. I called SCI the next day and told them of the incident. I received an email later that day from SCI telling me they are going to look into it.

I got a nice response from Firebirds on Tuesday this week. In which, the woman asked for my phone number which I gave her. in the conversation, she denied they are removing the taxidermy for any politically correct reasons. She stated they are just wanting a "new look" I called BS. This thing has actually got some legs and I predict a reversal of policy.

My long winded point is Jorge, we have bigger battles to fight, if we want to continue to hunt Africa and even North America. Hunters have been cast in a very negative light as of late. It is our responsibility to change the dynamic. We have allowed the opposition to define us, for far too long.

And no, you did not hijack the thread but I picked your response to quote since you're one of the few here I've corresponded with over the years.

We all need to keep a close focus on the goal. I've been guilty of wandering off topic myself, many, many times.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

I would agree BH63 took things a bit personally. However if bona fides or simply days on the ground are the only thing that matters, these forums would grow tiresome quickly. There are precious few guys around with your level of experience.

I believe using this experience to assist the new guys, even when they get upset that their thread got hi-jacked is the true purpose of internet forums. We need MORE contributors not fewer. Anything we as a demographic can do to encourage new guys, we need to choose that direction over running them off.

Regards.

Well said Steve. If I have been anything but welcoming I certainly stand corrected. All I can do in the Africa forum is enjoy those that have been and are going for reasons Jorge knows. On the good side, the rest of the world is my oyster. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I figured this thread was doomed with this post. Turns out I was right. Boys will be boys no matter how old they are.

BH63

Fight nice, please. Can't say I've read any threads like this one before in the Africa forum.

It's my day off and yer F'CKING up my leisure time dickhead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

I went to a Firebirds restaurant last Sunday evening. They "had" a bull Elk mount on their fireplace. I noticed it gone. I called the waitress over and asked for the manager. She told my wife and I that there had been a new policy come down from corporate. Remove all taxidermy, from all restaurants. She even commented that she had just been transferred from a Pennsylvania location and she had removed a Bison from that one.

I asked for a corporate email address. Wrote a response and copied every hunter I know, lots of guys from AR as well. I called SCI the next day and told them of the incident. I received an email later that day from SCI telling me they are going to look into it.

I got a nice response from Firebirds on Tuesday this week. In which, the woman asked for my phone number which I gave her. in the conversation, she denied they are removing the taxidermy for any politically correct reasons. She stated they are just wanting a "new look" I called BS. This thing has actually got some legs and I predict a reversal of policy.

Steve, thank you for taking a stand against Firebirds. I ask that you will please post a feedback on whether they reverse the decision on taking the mounts down.
We need more and more of these kinds of acts to show the world that us hunters are no push overs.
The problem with common sense these days is that it ain't that common any more.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Actually I used to be a member of this forum about 14 years ago and left because I got tired of all the bullying and alliances. (IMO deliberately inserting multiple "chat room style" posts that have nothing to do was the thread topic is a form of cyber bullying. I once had some idiots on this forum who jumped into a thread and started discussing good places to eat Mexican food).

At that time there were about two or three main groups who argued against each other and always ganged up to support the members of their group.

Guess what Jorgie? You aligned with me back in those days.

So sorry if I ruined the "fun" for some of you who seem to delight in the "bullying", but I have always stood up to bullys. It is just my nature.

At any rate, everyone have a "Happy New Year" and good hunting,

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
14 years ago? I wasn't here. and jorgie? and what was your login back then? Let me guess, Moccasin Joe, Otiwarongo, or about a dozen others and is your name Terrence?

Last edited by jorgeI; 12/28/15.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Actually I used to be a member of this forum about 14 years ago and left because I got tired of all the bullying and alliances. (IMO deliberately inserting multiple "chat room style" posts that have nothing to do was the thread topic is a form of cyber bullying. I once had some idiots on this forum who jumped into a thread and started discussing good places to eat Mexican food).

At that time there were about two or three main groups who argued against each other and always ganged up to support the members of their group.

Guess what Jorgie? You aligned with me back in those days.

So sorry if I ruined the "fun" for some of you who seem to delight in the "bullying", but I have always stood up to bullys. It is just my nature.

At any rate, everyone have a "Happy New Year" and good hunting,

BH63

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No worries, if you are indeed from the past, we'll out you out soon enough. Among other things, your writing style is quite obvious....

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
No worries, if you are indeed from the past, we'll out you out soon enough. Among other things, your writing style is quite obvious....

By that you mean its well written and logical?

Thanks

PS It might have been 12 years ago or thereabouts. And you guessed wrong about my old handles and my real name.

Just for the record. Why did you think this thread fishy? It was a pretty straightforward, honest, and direct thread IMO.

And many posters replied accordingly until you and your reach-around buddies started in trying to kill it.

Was there something about my style that made you and a couple of your buddies feel threatened? Or where you just trying to put me in my place?

I get a kick out of trying to fathom why people do what they do. I could throw out quite a few thoughts why old ingwe flys the Confederate Flag in his signature as well as his handle. Perhaps he was beat up by a black kid when he was little??

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 12/29/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And many posters replied accordingly until you and your reach-around buddies started in trying to kill it.

Was there something about my style that made you and a couple of your buddies feel threatened? Or where you just trying to put me in my place?

I get a kick out of trying to fathom why people do what they do. I could throw out quite a few thoughts why old ingwe flys the Confederate Flag in his signature as well as his handle. Perhaps he was beat up by a black kid when he was little??

Read much Dale Carnegie? I suspect not.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

BH63

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

By that you mean its well written and logical?

Thanks

PS It might have been 12 years ago or thereabouts. And you guessed wrong about my old handles and my real name.

Just for the record. Why did you think this thread fishy? It was a pretty straightforward, honest, and direct thread IMO.

BH63

Because I smelled you the second you posted, not to mention your atrocious syntax and spelling. So what WAS your previous handle or are you going to lie again. Hint: Lie #1 (so far) was the fact I agreed with you when I wasn't even a member here, but carry on. Somehow I suspect your real name will have to be found out. No worries, I'm working on it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This type of childish non-sense is exactly why internets forums are bad for society. This reads as though a bunch of 12 year old girls, are having a dust up over a boy they both have the hots for.

Both parties wanting, no scratch that…demanding the last word.

This has devolved into nothing resembling African Hunting, which last time I checked, was a sport reserved for Gentlemen.

When hunting in Africa is a thing of the past, maybe we can reminisce about the "old days" of hunting Africa. I believe we could all agree it was awesome.

Have at it "men"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe so, but we went YEARS here without any issue until this guy showed up with a new handle, because I am sure, his previous bullshit here was not tolerated, but feel free to continue...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Africa Forum has been about the least confrontational and the most agreeable on the 'Fire. This newbie jumped in determined to stir the pot. Let's just say that is out of character with the normal dialogue here and has been resisted.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
[/quote]
Because I smelled you the second you posted, not to mention your atrocious syntax and spelling. So what WAS your previous handle or are you going to lie again. Hint: Lie #1 (so far) was the fact I agreed with you when I wasn't even a member here, but carry on. Somehow I suspect your real name will have to be found out. No worries, I'm working on it. [/quote]

I think that post says it all. Jorgie apparently doesn't have much of a life outside of this forum, and doesn't like it when new people post and don't show him the respect he thinks he deserves.

He has certainly turned into a piece of work since I was last on this forum. Good luck finding my previous forum name, I can just see this idiot spending hours looking at old posts and trying to figure out who I am. Personally I am beginning to think he needs professional help.

What a tool, but he does seem to have a few reach-around buddies. Perhaps I have stumbled on to a cult?

As for me, I am going to stick to hunting and shooting topics but I will counter punch whenever someone throws an uncalled for jab at me.

Good Hunting,

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 12/30/15.
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Getting back on topic. I've been in contact with an outfitter out of Zim and he is offering a pretty fair deal (10 day buff hunt for 15k).

I really wanted to kill a buff from another country, but I may wind up with this guy as I have hunted the area before and know there are thousands of buff in that area (South Gokwe).

He will be in the Denver area next month and is supposed to call me.

Has anyone hunted that area recently?

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 12/30/15.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Hey, it's your very rude, bottom-feeder comment buddy.

Do not judge a place in Zim based upon what you saw in the area before. My father hunted Binga, just W of where you are looking, in 2002. He got a leopard, buffalo, and elephant. It was a great hunt.

We went back there in 2008 and my God did it change. The poaching was rampant. We were only after buffalo and what little plains game we saw. The other guys in camp were some Spaniards after elephant. They were tracking a bull and machine gun fire opened-up on the herd they were tracking. They left immediately, as they felt it was too dangerous hunting there. We also heard machine gun fire and found the young bull elephant they poached the next day.

We left without buffalo. We shot a cow in a snare and found another cow who had just died in a drag-log snare. We pulled snares every day.

If you bumped buffalo, they went for hours. You never found them again.

It was the worst hunt I've ever been on. It went from heaven to hell in 6 years.

Be careful with "I've been there before" and Zimbabwe.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 12/30/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And here comes "another outfitter" mystery from his fantasies. You've already proven you've got something to hide by not posting your original login. I wonder why that is? Or even better, how about pictures from your last hunt in South Africa for a Cape Buffalo? I wonder how long you'll last this time until you're banned again? Like every other troll, you'll eventually hang yourself.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

Do not judge a place in Zim based upon what you saw in the area before. My father hunted Binga, just W of where you are looking, in 2002. He got a leopard, buffalo, and elephant. It was a great hunt.

We went back there in 2008 and my God did it change. The poaching was rampant. We were only after buffalo and what little plains game we saw. The other guys in camp were some Spaniards after elephant. They were tracking a bull and machine gun fire opened-up on the herd they were tracking. They left immediately, as they felt it was too dangerous hunting there. We also heard machine gun fire and found the young bull elephant they poached the next day.

We left without buffalo. We shot a cow in a snare and found another cow who had just died in a drag-log snare. We pulled snares every day.

It was the worst hunt I've ever been on. It went from heaven to hell in 6 years.

Thanks for the advice. The outfitter told me saw a buff that would go 46-48 inches at the close of this season, but he was out of tags.

The buff I killed back in 2004 had a scar around his neck from a poachers snare.

This guy hunts communal lands so it is quite possible the buff have been pretty much shot out.

Happy New Year Rude Comment Guy and again thanks for the advice.

PS I didn't mean you were a rude person, just that you made a rude comment.

BH

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
And here comes "another outfitter" mystery from his fantasies. You've already proven you've got something to hide by not posting your original login. I wonder why that is? Or even better, how about pictures from your last hunt in South Africa for a Cape Buffalo? I wonder how long you'll last this time until you're banned again? Like every other troll, you'll eventually hang yourself.

Jorgie,

Get over it. You and your buddies broke forum etiquette by posting a lot of boring sophomoric posts about meeting up at the DSC or DCS and I called you out over it.

If you really want to see a pic I posted go to the big bore express rifle section and look at a thread I started about recoil. It shows a very nice bull ellie (60lbs a side), that I killed in Zim in 2004.

Notice how nice the thread reads since everyone stayed on topic and shared their experiences and opinions about the topic?

Happy New Year,

BH

PS If I recall correctly you are in Florida correct? I would tell you my old handle, as I remember it, but it is much more fun, letting you wonder.

Last edited by BH63; 12/31/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK Buffhunter... Keep thinking anyone GAF. Say Doc, so we're all set for Saturday around 1230? The Omni has opened up a bunch of new restaurants and as you know they are only a couple of minutes away through the archway. Let me know! j

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

kscowboy,

Interesting that you hunted Binga in 2008. I hunted it in September of 2008 with Rory Muil of Russ Broom Safaris as my PH. I killed a bull elephant, a cape buffalo, a hippo, and a 14' croc.

The place was swarming with natives who had moved in from the cities due to Mugabe's economic policies. The schools were closed because the teachers just wandered off after not getting paid. In one place US Aid had constructed a fence to keep elephants out, but all the wire had been stolen. We found and destroyed 35 wire snares.

There was almost no game in fact smaller than buffalo, though there seemed to be a lot of elephants. We used part of my buff for leopard bait but a native stole it the first night. Whole areas of Binga were denuded--almost desertified--by the natives and their goats.

I considered this a good hunt, as my objective was to get elephant and buff. I have heard, however, that no one hunts there now due to the increased population.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

BH63

I booked an elephant hunt with Dudley Rodgers in 2007. I had a medical problem and had to cancel a couple of months in advance, having paid a $4000 deposit to him. I asked if I could reschedule for 2008. He said only if he could resell the safari and he'd let me know. That was the last I ever heard from him.

Later there was a long series of posts on AR about a lady client who had failed to receive her trophies because he had filled out the paperwork wrong. Neither he more the booking agent apparently lifted a finger to help her until a lot of the AR African hunting members got a little testy about it.

Do as you like. But as for me, I would not book a hunt with Dudley Rodgers even though he has satisfied clients.

PS: None of my business but I don't think the clique of old pals who are meeting up at DSC are a very closed clique or that they would freeze out new people. I suspect if I went, they would welcome me.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

BH63

PS: None of my business but I don't think the clique of old pals who are meeting up at DSC are a very closed clique or that they would freeze out new people. I suspect if I went, they would welcome me.

I'm planning to attend DSC in 2017. Fly in for the convention, fly back to RSA, then fly back to US/Canada in March for the rest of my show schedule. Would certainly hope we can have a gathering over a few refreshments in 2017.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm planning to attend DSC in 2017. Fly in for the convention, fly back to RSA, then fly back to US/Canada in March for the rest of my show schedule. Would certainly hope we can have a gathering over a few refreshments in 2017.

Consider it done!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You lads are hijacking again!

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the information IndyCA35.

The only thing I have heard bad (or at least controversial) about Dudley was that a client on an elephant hunt took a very dicey shot at an elephant against the PHs advice, and wound up killing a very small tusker. The client, who was adamant that he wanted to kill a large tusker, was about 3 days into a 14-day hunt. He wanted to kill another elephant, and Dudley stated he would let him kill another, but the first hunt was over, and he had to pay, in addition to another trophy fee, another 14-day camp fee.

I thought that was kind of strange, but I suppose elephants are very sought after tags, and he outfitter wants to maximize his profit for each ellie tag.

Apparently his group has killed one heck of a lot of elephants. I got a picture somewhere that shows hundreds of elephant skulls lined up in rows at one of his camps.

BH

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

kscowboy,

Interesting that you hunted Binga in 2008. I hunted it in September of 2008 with Rory Muil of Russ Broom Safaris as my PH. I killed a bull elephant, a cape buffalo, a hippo, and a 14' croc.

The place was swarming with natives who had moved in from the cities due to Mugabe's economic policies. The schools were closed because the teachers just wandered off after not getting paid. In one place US Aid had constructed a fence to keep elephants out, but all the wire had been stolen. We found and destroyed 35 wire snares.

There was almost no game in fact smaller than buffalo, though there seemed to be a lot of elephants. We used part of my buff for leopard bait but a native stole it the first night. Whole areas of Binga were denuded--almost desertified--by the natives and their goats.

I considered this a good hunt, as my objective was to get elephant and buff. I have heard, however, that no one hunts there now due to the increased population.

Indy, we must have just missed each other. We hunted with Gavin in Russ' area. My father hunted with Gavin in the same area in 2002. If Rory told you the story of being detained for the stolen government ivory, my dad was there for that incident in 2002. Gavin tossed him I don't know how many thousand in cash just in case they came back for him. Gavin hired the local witch doctor and one of the camp staff immediately recovered the ivory and confessed.

The area is still great for hippo and croc, as it's right on Lake Kariba. 2008 was when the hyper-inflation was occurring and Zim even had a billion dollar bill that once it was printed, wouldn't buy a loaf of bread. Corn, fish, tobacco, and bush meat was currency. It was a straight-up bartering system, so no wonder they were poaching.

The elephant were there but they were getting poached daily. I'd be curious to see what the elephant population is there now. There were buffalo and we were on them every day but as I said, if you bumped them, you never saw them again. The wind had a tendency to shift when we were there. It sure didn't help that the leaves sounded like walking on cornflakes.

The group from Boston after us got a buff that went over 42". They finally had a good, steady wind and made it happen. We got up on the herd we'd been stalking for multiple days on our final day to only find that he was soft.

What did you think of the Mopane Bees? I don't smoke but I ripped a couple of cigs just to keep them away. I sure wish I had some Avon Skin So Soft that trip!

There are far better areas that have much more game. We hunted Dande North in 2011 and that was definitely a much better area.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
OK Buffhunter... Keep thinking anyone GAF. Say Doc, so we're all set for Saturday around 1230? The Omni has opened up a bunch of new restaurants and as you know they are only a couple of minutes away through the archway. Let me know! j

Jorge, I'm thinking we should definitely meet at one of the Omni restaurants... the BBQ inside the convention hall is OK, but it's spendy and the seating ain't exactly posh...

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
^
You boys have fun, but remember to practice safe sex.

Jorgie,

Here is a hint "I once deliberately shot a buff off shoulder to make it charge".

BH63

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

That's what I'm seeing these days, too. I had a chance to pick up a similar license in Tanzania 2 years ago for $7K, short notice due to a hunter getting sick and cancelling, etc... didn't pull the trigger and not sure it would've been a good idea for a first buff hunt anyway.

I'm looking at going back for another buff in '17, and at this point I'm considering Mozambique and the Bubye in Zim... Moz is cheaper, but the non-tangibles are hard to predict. I know what I'm getting for my $$$ in Zimbabwe, whereas a new area/PH in Moz has a lot of unknowns.

But Marius's comments about cost-effective RSA buffalo are welcome news. I'm gonna have to do some figuring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jorge, I'm thinking we should definitely meet at one of the Omni restaurants... the BBQ inside the convention hall is OK, but it's spendy and the seating ain't exactly posh...

Will these high falootin' Omni restaurants allow a gent in with a Shiloh rifle T-shirt and jeans? smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sports Bar in the Omni was pretty good the last time I attended DSC.

And yes, one would fit right in with T-shirt (even with firearm logos) and jeans.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hell, dressed like that you'll get into the VIP section during DSC, Patrick!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Shiloh t-shirt was certainly good for starting a conversation with Ralf Martini, and a couple of Ruger guys smile

Someday I should get one made with a couple of my #1's on it. Maybe a pic of one of the nicer ones, saying "Rugers used to look like this..." grin

Doc your cell # still the same?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
^
You boys have fun, but remember to practice safe sex.

Jorgie,

Here is a hint "I once deliberately shot a buff off shoulder to make it charge".

BH63

Reading comprehension issues on top of "a-s-s-holeness" BUFFHUNTER?

Great seeing some of you guys,

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/11/16.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I finally booked a buff hunt. It will be in southeast Zim.
I want to sincerely thank all the posters who provided good information about the current state of buff hunting. That advice really came in handy.

Jorgie,

You and the rest of your soiree now have my blessing to do all the "girl talk" on this thread that your little hearts desire.

I am sure the rest of 24hourcampfire members find your posts about hooking up for dinner, pedicures, etc. fascinating.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 01/15/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
GFY

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
With whom did you book the buffalo hunt?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm looking at going back for another buff in '17, and at this point I'm considering Mozambique and the Bubye in Zim... Moz is cheaper, but the non-tangibles are hard to predict. I know what I'm getting for my $$$ in Zimbabwe, whereas a new area/PH in Moz has a lot of unknowns.

I am down to John Sharp or Mashambanzou in Moz.

Same boat as you, except this is my first buff hunt. But there are few unknowns with John Sharp...he is a known quantity (as is the BVC).

Other issue is I want to hunt Livingstone Eland and at the Moz location I have to wait for late September for the hunting to get near prime (hot by then). But Moz is $5k less (wife would come along and the day fees are non-negotiable at BVC).

BH63 - who did you book with, if you don't mind sharing?

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
^
Hi Guys,

Not at all. I booked with Lin Stanton of Mbalabala Safaris. I will be hunting in the Nuanetsi area of Zimbabwe.

This hunt was a little more expensive than another one he offered in the Zambezi Valley, but my chances of seeing a lot of buffalo, and my odds of getting a big bull (40+") seemed to be better in this area.

I know he also has eland available as well (although I don't know which area he uses for eland).

Check out the Hunting Report Section of Accurate Reloading to see some pics of two big bulls killed last November.

Good luck and good hunting.

BH63

PS I originally wanted to go to Moz or Tanzania, but I thought having to spend 2 or 3k USD for a charter flight more trouble than it was worth.

Last edited by BH63; 01/25/16.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Lin is a good guy. I hunted Omay North with him back in 2012. Saw him a couple of weeks ago at the DSC convention.

Good luck and have fun.

Mike Burke

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I now have a buff hunt (my second!) booked with John Sharp in the BVC for August 2017. My sister and her husband will be joining me and The Redhead for this safari.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Congrats Doc! laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats to both of you, BH and Doc. Wish I could swing it to go myself, but I'll just wait to hear the stories and see the pics!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I now have a buff hunt (my second!) booked with John Sharp in the BVC for August 2017. My sister and her husband will be joining me and The Redhead for this safari.

The envy grows with each passing day......... smile

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by test1328
Congrats to both of you, BH and Doc. Wish I could swing it to go myself, but I'll just wait to hear the stories and see the pics!

Test,

My drive train ain't what it used to be, so I figured if I was ever going to shoot another buff, I'd better do it now, rather than later.

Life is way too short, so don't wait too long to indulge in your passions (at least that is how I explained it to my wife!)

Cheers,

BH63

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (160user, 007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.