Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Damn, I hate to ask. I figure this'll end up being a pizzin' match, a schidt storm, or both.

Be that as it may, I'm strangely feeling the urge to acquire another AR. I bought the last one 'cause it seemed like it was goin' too cheap. Concurrently, those jerk-offs were shooting up DC with a Bushmaster, and it seemed like the platform might not always be available to me. I hunted it a bit, but never really cared for it, & traded it off to a buddy.

My home defense revolves around an 870 and a .45. I can see where a bit more reach and magazine capacity could be assets. Hence, the thoughts about getting an AR.

I assume everyone has their favorites, so maybe there'd be greater consensus if I were to ask what to avoid. Are there any "Highpoint" or "Remington 710" offerings that I should stay the hell away from?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can press the "easy" button and get a Colt, or you can press the "expensive" button and pay up for a Daniel Defense, LaRue, whatever $1500+ AR.

Unless you know what you are looking at, everything else is pretty much a crap shoot for the uninformed.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It depends on what your requirements are for one. If you just want something that will go bang every time and not give much problem, you probably have as good of a chance with the typical brands as any other. Those would be DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, Ruger and lots of others.

Colt will maintain it's value better than most, but some of the others offer models that are half the cost, or nearly so. If you want a free float barrel or some other features, the price also goes up. If accuracy is an issue, then that costs more too, or you might get lucky.

I believe the best thing you can do is make a list of what you want in an AR and then go shop the websites to see what is available at what price and go from there. I believe there are more good guns out there than bad.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Get a BCM and call it a day.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Colt.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't mind spending a couple bucks over the usual suspects, this wouldn't be a bad option:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-s...-15-complete-rifle-chambered-5-56-a.html

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
It depends on what your requirements are for one. If you just want something that will go bang every time and not give much problem, you probably have as good of a chance with the typical brands as any other. Those would be DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, Ruger and lots of others.

Colt will maintain it's value better than most, but some of the others offer models that are half the cost, or nearly so. If you want a free float barrel or some other features, the price also goes up. If accuracy is an issue, then that costs more too, or you might get lucky.

I believe the best thing you can do is make a list of what you want in an AR and then go shop the websites to see what is available at what price and go from there. I believe there are more good guns out there than bad.

This covers it for me pretty much.

Most any of them work fine, most any of them are capable of 1 to 1.5 MOA with the right ammo.

Most triggers will suck unless they are upgrades.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
What to look for in an AR?

If you just want a decently built & reliable gun with reasonable accuracy, it's hard to beat a Colt 6920, Stag Model 1 or 2 (1 has a carry handle, 2 does not) or a Sig 400, IMO.

All will have a decent level of resale value.

If you want more, or something more specialized (like a 3G gun) or a stainless barrel, then the only limit is the depth of your pockets.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy an Anderson Arms lower receiver from your local dealer for $50, then get the rest of the stuff from Palmetto State Armory when they have their Black Friday sale. Put it together yourself.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by viking
Colt.

Amen

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to hate AR's actually. the problem for me was a couple things first is nearly all the stocks feel like they are made for a midget, The other big thing somewhat unique to me is I like my optics mounted a tad higher than most people. So with an AR until the last 5 or 6 years there wasn't as many optics mounting options as there is now. So I use a longer stock like the RRA operator, and a scope mount that is a tad higher than most. With that the gun fits me now. before it felt awkward. maybe its a simple as finding the right fit for you.

The best turn key gun out there IMO is a RRA for a typical guy, a colt is a basic gun that is overpriced for what you get. There is so many great AR's now days that work. it wasn't always that way though. but times have changed. often a guy can through parts from alot of different manufacturers in a gun and it will run just fine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 5 AR,s ruger,colt le6920,rock river,smith& wesson and windham weaponry.My favorite is the colt,rock river is next in line.I am not a expert on AR,s but these work for me..

Last edited by coobie; 11/18/15.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have my fair share of ARs 3 colt's Daniel defense and custom built AR's my favorite is the custom's but factory AR it is hand's down the Daniel defense. Good luck in the decision.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Buy an Anderson Arms lower receiver from your local dealer for $50, then get the rest of the stuff from Palmetto State Armory when they have their Black Friday sale. Put it together yourself.

Any guesses how low they'll go?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by viking
Colt.

Amen

Especially if you want to resell it. Other than that you are paying for the name. A gun that works very very well, is sub par accurate and one of the worst triggers I've ever had.

As others note its all in what you want.

I don't ever sell guns. So resell is the last thing in my mind.

of course some around here complain about new ropes and savages.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Colt

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Not a clue.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For home defense a Colt 6920 was my pick. I pulled the 16" barrel and put a Colt factory 14.5" in it's place.

I would avoid BCM like they carried the plague.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The BCM carbines are overpriced that is for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
For home defense a Colt 6920 was my pick. I pulled the 16" barrel and put a Colt factory 14.5" in it's place.

Why avoid BCM?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by TC1

Why avoid BCM?

From personal experience. They don't stand behind what they sell. Years ago I listened to all the BCM fan boys on another site and bought one of their SPR uppers. The damn thing consistently shot 4" groups at 100yds. I called, nobody answers. The recording says they are too busy to talk to people on the phone and to leave a message and they would get back to me when it's convenient for THEM. I do this 4 times over the coarse of a week and NEVER get a return phone call. After that I figure maybe it's best to email. I had done this before and knew they had no trouble returning emails when I wanted TO BUY SOMETHING. 6 emails later and I hear nothing but crickets.

In the emails I explained my problems with the upper. I told them about trying many different load combo's using my reloads and factory ammo in many different bullet weights and powder combo's to give it a fair chance of finding something it liked. I told them I had run over 400 rounds down the barrel to make sure it was broke in before I contacted them.

A few more emails to BCM later, I finally get a response that went something like this: Sorry to hear that, we suggest you keep shooting it and maybe it'll get better. Most of our customers report MOA accuracy with that upper.

$1300 for a "precision" upper with AK-47 accuracy and no support other than encouraging words. No thanks.

This has been probably 5-6 years ago and maybe things have changed but I wouldn't chance it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's what I thought. I knew you had a bad experience with a barrel or something but couldn't remember exactly. I've had good luck with BCM, accurate and reliable had been my experience. I've never had to send something back though.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had LWRC and currently have a Daniel Defense, but been contemplating a "cheap" AR15 as a permanent fixture in my truck.

Hows the does the S&W M&P15 Sport compare/rate against the Colt LE6920?

The M&P15 can be had for well under 600.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1

$1300 for a "precision" upper with AK-47 accuracy and no support other than encouraging words. No thanks.

lots of good uppers for that price or less, & you'll get a target with 3 shots under an inch as well...........not the end all, do all, but more than good enough to satisfy most.

Might not do 10 under an inch though..........just sayin' wink

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Unless you're wanting a target gun, Colt 6920's can be had for $799 brand new (I just found 3 for a buddy with Magpul furniture on it 60 miles away). Deals are out there.

At that price, nothing else is going to be cheap enough to even be close in reliability, quality and value.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I expected a lot more than what I got.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Unless you're wanting a target gun, Colt 6920's can be had for $799 brand new (I just found 3 for a buddy with Magpul furniture on it 60 miles away). Deals are out there.

At that price, nothing else is going to be cheap enough to even be close in reliability, quality and value.

You said a mouthful there. I bought mine back when they were $1000. Great rifle even at that price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You had a right to expect more for that price.................

They should have taken it back, no questions asked, IMO.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR

I found the LE6920 for $760 brand new with Magpul (MOE) Gen 2 furniture, but dipped in Kryptek Highlander camo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I've had LWRC and currently have a Daniel Defense, but been contemplating a "cheap" AR15 as a permanent fixture in my truck.

Hows the does the S&W M&P15 Sport compare/rate against the Colt LE6920?

The M&P15 can be had for well under 600.

Have seen 3 S/W locally. Other than replace triggers have never seen them have any issues whatsoever.

Fairly accurate too. More so than the Colts of old. But I have not paid for a Colt in close to 20 years

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My S&W actually has a fairly decent trigger. But I digress as I'm an AR novice.

I did put a heavy buffer and spring in it per Blue's recommendation. Apparently a little 'over' gased. It did help. Not that it didn't function before, it did, but it felt like it was really slamming harder than it needed to.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who has the $799 colts? Is that a shipped price?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My S&W actually has a fairly decent trigger. But I digress as I'm an AR novice.

I did put a heavy buffer and spring in it per Blue's recommendation. Apparently a little 'over' gased. It did help. Not that it didn't function before, it did, but it felt like it was really slamming harder than it needed to.

They may have picked up their game some and that would be nice to hear.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp

A store south of me and that was the walk out price. They also had the kryptec camo dip. I have been holding out for a 6720 but may pick up a 6920 even though I don't need another, they are too cheap to ignore.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

They were 34.99 last week.
I'm thinking everybody ramped up production and never stopped. Now everybody has inventory up the ass. Plenty of $1200 never fired Bushmasters for sale from the fools that bought during the panic. Now is one of the better times to buy before the Mooselems attack.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by jimmyp

A store south of me and that was the walk out price. They also had the kryptec camo dip. I have been holding out for a 6720 but may pick up a 6920 even though I don't need another, they are too cheap to ignore.

I haven't been ignoring them. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meh, got the Kryptek Highlander LE6920. Going to toss on a SWFA SS 1-4x24mm Illuminati and rock it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You will be just fine and if the colt barrel sucks for accuracy you are +/- 200 bucks from a new one anyway.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Without going into a long dissertation, I would suggest one of two brands:

FN or Colt Defense. Both have a very extensive history in making very high quality guns for the military.

In Colt I would suggest either the 6920 or 6720. The only difference is the barrel profile. The 6920 has an M4 type profiled barrel. The 6720 has a "pencil" type profile and is quite light.

Yank the trigger out, and place it in a ziplock bag, as a spare. Drop in a Geissele trigger.

Top with optic of your choice, either a low powered variable or an RDO (red dot optic) Aimpoint is the standard by which all other RDOs are judged.

Add a white light.

Finally get a good quality sling. I prefer 2 point adjustable slings like the VTAC. A VCAS, or BFG 2 point sling will work too.

Stay away from single point slings unless you like getting racked in the balls during transition drills, and or like a rifle that flops all over the place when both hands are busy with another task.

In summary:

Colt or FN
Geissele trigger
Aimpoint
white light of choice
2 point sling.

DONE.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a Windham VEX-SS AND A ArmaLite M 15A4B both have Timney triggers and a Bushmaster it is my play gun the other 2 are long range shooters.All 3 are scopes.

Loves gun and reloading casting my own bullets
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bookmarking this thread.

thanks FC

stuff I wanted to know by those in the know

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Yank the trigger out, and place it in a ziplock bag, as a spare. Drop in a Geissele trigger.

I'm a believer. Worth every penny.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

white light of choice
2 point sling.

I'd love to hear more about these 2. Brands? Mounting?

I went ahead & got one of these on the way:

[Linked Image] [/quote]

Thanks for all the help, all.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Here is a pic of some of us hamming it up, in a Charlies Angels pose ( we were mocking some folks)..

Note the guy in the middle with a single point sling. When he is hands free, the carbine dangles loosely between the legs in his case. To bend down, or kneel you end up with a muzzle in the dirt, and sometime a rifle butt in the chin.

I am on the right with a Viking Tactics 2 point. In this case it is slung loose, but when I completely let go, it rests across my body, allowing me to use hands, kneel, etc without issue. If I need to do something strenuous or kneel for longer periods, like working on a person, or whatever, I have the option to sling it completely behind me, or to the side, pull the strap and it is cinched down.

[Linked Image]

So here is a funny video featuring Pat Mcnamara (former CAG/Delta). While he is goofing off here, the video perfectly illustrates why the vast majority of the pros run 2 point slings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq-hQYcoVmw

The ease in which the rifle is situated completely out of the way while doing physical activities, as well as shooting is better demonstrated better than a few hundred words.

Reference white lights:

There is a lot you can write on the subject, I tend to prefer Surefire. Lots of ways to skin the cat, and it does not need to be uber fancy. I will take a pic after a bit of how my primary rifle light is mounted.

Also if you have the $$, a white light/laser pistol light mounted on a rifle can be a very useful tool, especially if you are shooting quickly and perhaps in unorthodox positions.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something to think about with a light, that most people don't, is how the beam is shaped.

Lights can have throw (they'll send a focused beam a long way) or spill (they flood a wide area with light). If you're planning on being outside a lot with a rifle, throw would be more important. But if you're using it indoors I'd prefer more spill.

Unless it's for a rifle that'll be used primarily at beyond 75 yards, I prefer a light with more spill than the Surefire X300U / M600U style lights.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also, I prefer mounting as close to 12 o'clock as possible. And I really want constant-on capability without much fuss. There seems to be a trend toward momentary-only for weapon mounted lights. But IME, having constant-on is a huge benefit. Finding a bad guy is great, but once he's found...constant-on is a huge benefit.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FC, I have had good luck with Stag Arms for AR's, just another option?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.