Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Here are a couple pictures of the first real firearm I ever used. I took my first grouse with this as well as my first duck and rabbit 43 years ago. It has been handed down from my grandfather to my mother, to me and now to my son. But first I need to replace the stock as it is soo badly cracked that I feel it may be unsafe. I love this old gun and really want to refurbish it. But not too much…
[img:left]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/riseform/media/share/HnR%2028%20Gauge/20151111152848.jpg.html[/img]
[img:left]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/riseform/media/share/HnR%2028%20Gauge/20151111152456.jpg.html[/img]

It is a Harrington and Richardson 28 gauge - serial # 87,5XX

I am uncertain if it is a model 1900, 1905 or 1908…?

I am trying to find a buttstock for it but don’t know what to order as I can’t find anything other than 12, 20 gauges or a .410 bore. I also found reference to a large frame and a small frame. I suspect the 28 would be a small frame…

Can anyone help me out with information on the gun and advice on where to get which stock?

I love the patina on the steel of some old guns, but it seems now that this has gone too far. What would you recommend I do to the steel to preserve it and even out the finish? I think a re-blue might be inappropriate and too dark/new looking. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

GB1

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since the gun has much sentimental value to you I'd suggest having the stock professionally repaired. There are a lot of talented guys out there that specialize in doing such repairs and they do really good work.

One place that I saw do some really quality work a couple years ago is Garvin's in Albany Georgia, 229 888 7891. Not sure if they are still in business but give them a call.

http://www.gunstockshop.com/

As for the metal I'd just keep it oiled up.

It's a neat gun. Get the old gal fixed up and take it out shooting/hunting again!

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Thx, it is pretty cool. Packs a nice wallop in a small package. I'd be reluctant to ship it to the states and back with our unpredictable customs rules at the border. Not sure we have local talent in the Vancouver BC area. Good suggestion though - I will explore that as option A. It would be nice to preserve as much original as I can. Seems to be a 1/2 inch strip of wood missing along the length of the upper tang and a cross grain crack that might take well to some careful gluing.

Boyds is confident they can provide me with a good fit with the tang measurements but they don't have a matching fore stock.

The patina is really un-even now. My aging father had it for the last 10 years and neglected it badly - no gun oil and cable ties around the barrel to secure a homemade sling - totally removed any finish in some areas. Glad it has not rusted and pitted. Dementia will do that... ask me how pissed I am about the other 5 guns he gave away to a stranger he met at the coffee shop.

Maybe degrease and try a very light application of something like barrel plum or brown?

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't realize you are in Canada. Yes, shipping a firearm to the States might be problematic. I think you could ship just the stock and it could get repaired quite well; with a shotgun we are not talking any complicated bedding to worry about. Get it back, re-install the forearm and buttstock, and you are good to go.

As for the metal; if you are going to do anything, go big and do it up right. I'd explore having the all the metal cerracoated (spelling?) in something other than gloss black. Perhaps a dark brown or dark grey.

Yes, getting the stock fixed and metal done right is going to cost you $300+..but the gun is worth much more than that to you. And you you are going to have the satisfaction of knowing you took care of it on your watch.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.