Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the expected tread life on these? Thinking about getting some so was just checking if anyone has any real world experience with them. Thanks

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
From what I've read online it seems some are getting good miles and some aren't. Maybe it's got to do with where they're made. My son has a set on his p/u that seems like they'll die of old age(literally)before they wear out.

I went with the General Grabber AT2's instead. Going into my third winter on them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The knock on the older KO's were the tread life was not very good but I am hearing that tread life has been significantly improved on the new models. I rode in a vehicle the other day and there was almost no road noise at all. I was impressed.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have about 12k on a set. They still look new, still have the nubs on them. I'm running 265/75/16 LR E's on a Frontier so that may have a little to do with the wear.

In the past I've never been a huge BFG A/T fan, but I needed tires and it's what Discount had in stock at the time. I've been really impressed with them thus far. Winter traction is excellent, road noise is noticeable but not too bad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too am running E rated on my F150 4x4, only have 5000 on them. Run nice and not noisy. My buddy had the TA KO's not the 2's on his Tacoma, E rated and he got an honest 100k out of them. Sure would be nice if mine lasted that long.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dunno how many miles I'll get but I've got ~2500Mi on mine now on a F250 Diesel and they're damned quiet on the highway, far more quiet than the AT KO's I had on my previous F250.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Very Happy with mine so far. Put them on a 2011 F150 w/ off road, HD towing etc. Replacing the OEM GY Wrangler ATs. Same milage, low road noise, handling good too including towing a Kubota. More aggressive tread design and beefed up sidewalls. I'm sure they will be good in snow too but haven't had any yet.

#1 rated on Tire Rack at the moment.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Got a set in January..along with new wheel pkg with KO2's

I like 'em..look good/ride good....this is 3rd set of TA's

on this Chev...has 97K on it...so an avg of 48K miles a set

A good tire is a safe tire... BFG AT KO2's (or older KO's)

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a set of 285's on a 1/2 ton GMC, wore good but rode like crap unless I aired them way down. Bought Coopers A/T in 265 next time and much prefer them.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked in tires for a few years. ROTATE YOUR TIRES!!. I saw several sets of BFG All-Terrains with 80k miles on them before they were changed. The guys that get the miles out of their tires always came in for the regular rotations. I don't know about now days but BFG's had by far the thickest sidewalls. They were the best truck tires going when I was putting them on.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by k20350
I worked in tires for a few years. ROTATE YOUR TIRES!!. I saw several sets of BFG All-Terrains with 80k miles on them before they were changed. The guys that get the miles out of their tires always came in for the regular rotations. I don't know about now days but BFG's had by far the thickest sidewalls. They were the best truck tires going when I was putting them on.

OK. So how often should KO2s be rotated on a 2011 F150 w/ Off Road package?? Approx 80% miles on pavement.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

5K...... alignment good ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Alignment A-OK.... and Thanks for the reply.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just bought a set on Thursday. It REALLY changed the way the truck rides. 2014 Ram 1500, 52K miles. It rides soooo much nicer than it did with the stock, chitt, Goodyear wrangler SRA's.

The shop (Discount Tire) tried hard to sell me Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's but I've always had bad luck with GY and just couldn't do it.

I only have 1K miles on these, but I'm liking them so far. Road noise is the same as the SRA's too.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I rotate mine every 6k or so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Originally Posted by k20350

OK. So how often should KO2s be rotated on a 2011 F150 w/ Off Road package?? Approx 80% miles on pavement.

Most decent tire shops will throw in free rotations with the purchase of the tires. All the shops around when I was doing it did anyway. Usually every other oil change is decent. It really does make a difference in your tire life. They might handle a bit funny for a few days after u rotate but they will settle into their new spot pretty quick on auto tires. We used to have a few "older" folks who would come in every week to get them rotated cause i guess it gave them something to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought some BFG AT KO2s for my '09 F-150 this past fall and have put about 7k miles on them to date. My observations are this:

- Road Noise: Pretty quiet. No worse or better than the Goodyear Wranglers that were on it previously.
- Tire Wear: I think it is too early to tell. They seem fine so far.
- Mud traction: Much better than the Goodyears, but the Goodyears that were on there previously were more of a highway tire. These do a good job, but they do fling the mud all over the truck, so be prepared to spend more time washing.
- Wet traction: Seemed worse than the Wranglers. I have had occasions where the rear tires spin when accelerating from a light on wet pavement. Subjective, but noticeable to me.
- Ice traction: Not good. I won't go so far as to say terrible, but I had a couple instances of fishtailing in 2 wd just this morning on the freeway. One was on a hill and the other was accelerating in stop and go traffic.
- Snow traction: Haven't had any real snow to try them out in so far. I suspect they will be great in snow.

I bought them since they were winter rated and I didn't want to be storing and switching tires on it in spring and fall. I have done that in the past and it's a pain. The truck also has higher miles so I didn't want to buy a couple sets of tires and then have the truck not last another year. I have run Nokian Hakkapelitta's on my trucks in winter before and they are by far the best winter tire I have ever used. Toyo winters were no better than an all-season in my experience on both my truck and minivan. Nokians are on my minivan now too and they are awesome.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've run north of 10 sets of BFG AT KO's on various vehicles (Jeeps, Suburbans, 4Runners, Explorer, F250 gassers, Ram diesel 2500, Chevy 1500 4x4).

On average, I could count on around 55k miles out of them. The 4Runner had 65k when I changed them out.

However, the ones on my diesel Ram only lasted 34k. Discount Tire told me it was because of the weight of the truck on the softer compound of that tire's rubber. Don't know about that, but it's what they told me. That was also after a set of BFG Rugged trails went 60k on that same truck.

Overall, I've been pleased with the tires, otherwise I wouldn't have bought so many of them for personal and work vehicles. I won't buy them again for my diesel though.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thread is about the new KO2's, not the original KO's.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I went and put a set on my 2012 Ram 2500 HD Hemi crew cab. My uncle has had a set for a few months and raves about them. I drove his truck to Wyoming and back in October and was VERY impressed. So we will see but the truck drives great so far. Time will tell. I did the 285-70-R17's it came stock with the 265's Looks better as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.