Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Seems like most seasons we end up recovering a bullet from a deer we have shot. This year was no exception.

This is a 129 Grain Hornady Spire Point. I shot it out of a Tikka T3 chambered for 260 Remington.

Shot was taken at about 55 yards, in and out through the ribs and back into an off side ham. Deer weighed about 110 or so.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like spent bullets. smile

None for me this year, our gun season opened yesterday and I had a deer-less day. Never saw a thing! Today I saw a doe fawn in 3.5 hours........uggh!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C T -

Our M G deer season is only 1 week old. We have 4 more + another weekend, THEN 3 days after Christmas.

So far I've killed 2 does and NO bullets recovered, the 270 'bounced' clear thru.

I have a lot of deer hunting YET to do this season so, we'll see as it progresses.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I like spent bullets. smile

None for me this year, our gun season opened yesterday and I had a deer-less day. Never saw a thing! Today I saw a doe fawn in 3.5 hours........uggh!

Here's hoping things pick up for you soon!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jwall
C T -

Our M G deer season is only 1 week old. We have 4 more + another weekend, THEN 3 days after Christmas.

So far I've killed 2 does and NO bullets recovered, the 270 'bounced' clear thru.

I have a lot of deer hunting YET to do this season so, we'll see as it progresses.

Jerry

So you expect me to believe that a 270 will kill a deer?

Interesting.

Good luck to you in the coming weeks!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so far I've shot a cull buck with a .351 Winchester, and a jake turkey with a .270...no, ain't caught nothing smile

I guess there is always the .25-20...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.257 100 E-Tip at about 25 yards, nearly straight on. Found under skin near off-side ham. Another blacktail bites the dust.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
How fast was that E tip going at the muzzle? It is a picture perfect advertisement for the E tip.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The little Hornady done a fine job CT, I have no recoveries to date, a 58 cal round ball made it out and so did the three 200 gr SAF's from my old 300 H&H.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Two visits to the doctor and still no recovery. We may have to go to a surgeon...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shrap, if thats what I think it is, you took "catching a bullet" too literally....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
A man such as shrapnel will probably sharpen up a Number 1 Randall, take a snort of peach brandy and dig that little bastid out.

Surgeon, pshaw!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
How fast was that E tip going at the muzzle? It is a picture perfect advertisement for the E tip.

2780 from my 20".

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
nope their still flying

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Two visits to the doctor and still no recovery. We may have to go to a surgeon...

[Linked Image]

No reason to dirty up a Randall, just get a cheap havalon. I might suggest doing it outside, however...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Jerry

Thnx for the Good Luck!
[Linked Image]

No bullet recovery 'again'.

9:15 AM today - Rem M 6 270 Win >> EXIT side. First day I've hunted "meat in the pot" since 2002. It still works.

Jerry

BTW - Bullet entrance between shoulder & neck.

Last edited by jwall; 11/23/15.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

If you hold still, I can get that out for ya no problem. Them doctors are just milkin your wallet, don't listen to them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recovered under offside hide on son's smallish mulie buck, started at 2980fps....distance was 304yds.
[Linked Image]
Never found core, 35grs as it sits

100% Public land DIY!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Jerry

Thnx for the Good Luck!
[Linked Image]

No bullet recovery 'again'.

9:15 AM today - Rem M 6 270 Win >> EXIT side. First day I've hunted "meat in the pot" since 2002. It still works.

Jerry

BTW - Bullet entrance between shoulder & neck.

Jerry you use the pump! Nice!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by hunter5325
Recovered under offside hide on son's smallish mulie buck, started at 2980fps....distance was 304yds.
[Linked Image]

The last bullet I recovered was a 95 grain Ballistic Tip. I shot a deer in the throat, the bullet broke it's neck and then traveled down along the spine, where I recovered it about midway down a backstrap.

It still had core in the jacket, but I am sure it had slipped a bit.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Jerry you use the pump! Nice!

Yes, Bob I 'used to' hunt the M 6s a whole lot but..

In 2003 I bought the Tikka T 3 270 Win

In 2008 I bought the Win 70 300 WM and hunted in exclusively 08-10.

This is the first yr since 2002 I pulled out 'meat in the pot" and guess what? it still works. wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
168 amax

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter5325
[Linked Image]

Recovery at least confirms a kill. Separation isn't ideal, but these bullets aren't bonded...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shrap- Yes it does, I'm actually a big fan of this bullet and my boy is stacking up a pile of game with them.

His bear however was not a fan...
[Linked Image]

100% Public land DIY!
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Great looking bear! Congratulations to they young man!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Exit wound of the 160 gr Sierra GK from my 7x57 Mauser. Deer was shot at about 110 yds away.

[Linked Image]

The deer killed with the 160 gr Sierra GK.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Retrieved a bullet from the deer my son shot. Afraid someone threw it away sometime in the past couple weeks.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I lined up two 50ish pound hogs at 50ish yards but failed to catch the .270 130gr. partition. The second exit hole was about three inches wide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like most seasons we end up recovering a bullet from a deer we have shot. This year was no exception.

This is a 129 Grain Hornady Spire Point. I shot it out of a Tikka T3 chambered for 260 Remington.

Shot was taken at about 55 yards, in and out through the ribs and back into an off side ham. Deer weighed about 110 or so.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I use the same bullet in my .260 Rem rifle and .260 Rem Encore pistol, exact same load of 44 gr. IMR 4350. I've recovered half a dozen of these over the last few years and they look exactly like this. 2850 fps from the 22" barreled rifle, 2600 from the 17" barreled Encore. Great performance.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
120g TSX from a Kimber 7-08 at roughly 3030 fps.

The doe was quartering to me at 30 yds. The bullet went through the top of the scapula, slammed into the spine and then deflected along the offside flank and was recovered in the hide along the offside hindquarter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I recovered one this year. First one, in fact, in recent times. The bullet is a 150 grain Hornady spire point. 150 grains as shot, 142 grains recovered. It expanded to .884" I hit the deer facing head to me just inside the left front shoulder. It took out the heart and liver and lodged just under the hide in front of the right rear ham. The load was 37.2 grains of IMR 3031 with a velocity of 2475 FPS.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Great pictures, men.

I recovered a 110 grain TTSX once, but the petals had broken off of it. (.277" from a WSM.)

LBK,

We recovered one of the 150 grain Hornday SP's from a buck my son killed last year. He was shooting a 308 Win. Velocity wasn't much more than the speed you were running, I'd guess.

Both of them resulted in very dead creatures...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
7mm 140 Gr Nosler BT 300 yard shot on a TX 8 pointer. As recovered 93 gr weight so about 66% +/-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pullit; 12/05/15.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recovered one, or fragments of one. The Hornady 139 grain SP did the job, but was completely destroyed in doing so. It covered 140 yards, smashed the high shoulder on a buck that had to have weighed 240 or more on the hoof, knocked him down like he was hit with Thor's hammer, and he barely quivered.

I found lots of small lead fragments, one chunk of lead, and the jacket of the bullet. I'll try to remember to post a photo when I get it cleaned up.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I recovered one, or fragments of one. The Hornady 139 grain SP did the job, but was completely destroyed in doing so. It covered 140 yards, smashed the high shoulder on a buck that had to have weighed 240 or more on the hoof, knocked him down like he was hit with Thor's hammer, and he barely quivered.

I found lots of small lead fragments, one chunk of lead, and the jacket of the bullet. I'll try to remember to post a photo when I get it cleaned up.

Steve.

That's a pig of a deer. What cartridge did you let that hornady fly out of?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Steve.

Sorry. Should have said 7mm-08 in a Remington Model 7 Stainless.

Yes, he is a pig. Here are a couple of weight-estimating formulas I found:
Multiply field dressed weight by 1.26 to get estimated live weight.
>> Roughly 200 pounds X 1.26 equals 252 pounds on the hoof.
Bucks lose 20% to 40% of their body weight during the rut, so if his live weight was 250 on Monday, back in September to early October he might have weighed 300 pounds.
>> A pre-rut weight of 300 pounds with a rut loss of 20% would put him at 240 post-rut.

YMMV, of course, depending on how far he had to chase does, how much food was available during the rut, etc. By far, this was the biggest one I've ever shot. Or seen. I'm not saying he was 300 pounds in September -- I'm saying maybe, maybe not. But he easily would have been in the high 200s. He had not an ounce of fat when I skinned him Monday night.

I really don't want to drag one that big, or cut one up that big, again.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pictures, men.

I recovered a 110 grain TTSX once, but the petals had broken off of it. (.277" from a WSM.)

LBK,

We recovered one of the 150 grain Hornday SP's from a buck my son killed last year. He was shooting a 308 Win. Velocity wasn't much more than the speed you were running, I'd guess.

I neglected to mention the caliber. It was .300 Savage.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Great pictures, men.

LBK,

I neglected to mention the caliber. It was .300 Savage.

I know what happens when you assume, but I did it anyway. smile

I figured it was a 300 Savage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You must know me too well................. wink smile

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

Steve.

Sorry. Should have said 7mm-08 in a Remington Model 7 Stainless.

Yes, he is a pig. Here are a couple of weight-estimating formulas I found:
Multiply field dressed weight by 1.26 to get estimated live weight.
>> Roughly 200 pounds X 1.26 equals 252 pounds on the hoof.
Bucks lose 20% to 40% of their body weight during the rut, so if his live weight was 250 on Monday, back in September to early October he might have weighed 300 pounds.
>> A pre-rut weight of 300 pounds with a rut loss of 20% would put him at 240 post-rut.

YMMV, of course, depending on how far he had to chase does, how much food was available during the rut, etc. By far, this was the biggest one I've ever shot. Or seen. I'm not saying he was 300 pounds in September -- I'm saying maybe, maybe not. But he easily would have been in the high 200s. He had not an ounce of fat when I skinned him Monday night.

I really don't want to drag one that big, or cut one up that big, again.

Steve.

The biggest deer I ever killed weighed 205 after being field dressed. I shot it with a 7mm/08, launching 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Silver tips from a 21 inch barrel.

I recovered one of those too, just the jacket though, and it traveled only about 20 yards after being hit.

This was about 1999 or 2000. Can't remember which without looking at my log book.

You are right though, they are a bitch to drag when they are that big.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nope. Those TTSX's are still going.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
You must know me too well................. wink smile

Well sir, I keep a pretty close eye on your Anticosti Island threads each fall, and I've noticed a pattern......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From my Cousins Buck. .223AI 62gr TTSX at 155 yards. Shot went into the neck and the Buck was lower than his shooting position. He had it butchered, so I don't know where it was found in the Deer.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Those little copper bastids surely look evil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
180 gr Rem CL - 143 grs - 79%

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ray
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
30 caliber? PSP or RN? Oh, and what cartridge?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30 caliber? PSP or RN? Oh, and what cartridge?

303B, 180 rem PSP, 7 yards, broke front left leg, smashed shoulder, blew-up a rib, found under skin behind right flank.

Last edited by RaySendero; 12/06/15.

Ray
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Elk shoulder meets a 140 gr TSX via a Kimber 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Style points for using the Brit!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM
Elk shoulder meets a 140 gr TSX via a Kimber 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Junior ran a 270 this fall. He only took one doe, but I think he is pretty happy with it. Congrats on the elk.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
250gr Barnes .50cal ML Shot was at 100yds-through the right shoulder and under the skin on off side after breaking a rib. I doubt it lost any weight, usually don't unless they shed a petal.

[Linked Image]

Golden............
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Another wicked looking pill, David.

I am a little surprised at the number of Barnes bullets that made it to this thread.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another wicked looking pill, David.

I am a little surprised at the number of Barnes bullets that made it to this thread.

I've recovered a few. Four .50 cal ML's, three of them 250gr, one 300gr. Got a 168 XLC (.30-'06) from a mulie buck shot on the point of the left shoulder and found in the right ham and a 140gr TTSX (.280 rem) from a cow elk shot in the base of the neck right side and found in the left backstrap. The TTSX lost the tip, the XLC lost nothing.

They usually make it through and I like that. Hard to beat a Barnes for great performance from your toes out to distance.

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CT

Here's a Remington 12ga Accu-Tip slug caught by an Illinois buck a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No recoveries yet this year.

One BIG old Doe. 237 yards broad side 130 grain TTSX from a 270. Piled right up as I hit her high and broke the spine just above front shoulders. She was doing some god above would wailing so a Second shot straight through the bottom of her brisket punched up thorough her neck and exited just behind the head...same distance

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
CT

Here's a Remington 12ga Accu-Tip slug caught by an Illinois buck a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

WN

I'd say that deer realized he was hit right off.
Ouch.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gitem_12
No recoveries yet this year.

One BIG old Doe. 237 yards broad side 130 grain TTSX from a 270. Piled right up as I hit her high and broke the spine just above front shoulders. She was doing some god above would wailing so a Second shot straight through the bottom of her brisket punched up thorough her neck and exited just behind the head...same distance

270's will do that?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Apparently

And a 200 grain Sierra from a 300 Win Mag will completely penetrate a yearling from stem to stern at 15 yards

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C T -

Over the years I have cut a bullet out from under the hide a few times but not many. It is very unusual for my rounds to NOT exit. Now I normally use 100 gr 6mm; 130 gr 270; 139 gr 7mm RM and velocities 3100; >>>3300 (7mag).

I'm down to my last week of M G deer season + 3 days after Christmas. This past week I only hunted Tues AM, we've been too warm & windy.

I plan to hit it hard this week.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
alwaysoutdoors,

I'd be interested in the story on that one. I'm a fan of the 357 Magnum.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C T -

[Linked Image]

Nope, no recovery even at 30 yds.
270 Win, 130 RCL, 3100 fps.

Bang--Flop

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Haven't recovered one in years...might be because I'm more patient than when I was younger and almost never take a marginal shot. It has been pass through for years...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

A couple of .30 cal 168 NBT's. From a .308 Win. Impact dist ~35 yds, impact speed ~2,675 fps. Recovered from a Sitka blacktail buck. Broadside - no bones hit. Was still standing after first shot, my son drilled him again for good measure.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
alwaysoutdoors,

Head shot
25 yards
8 " barrel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased a couple of boxes of Federal Fusion MSR 150gr to run thru my AR10. Both shots were broadside about 100 yrds. The sow(back hog in the picture) was 200lb range, and shot just behind the shoulder. After breaking ribs in and out, the bullet stopped just under the offside hide. It's pictured below. Retaining weight is 134gr. The boar was 175lbs or so and the bullet entered higher in the shoulder, busted thru the spine, and exited. I don't know the exact bullet speed as I didn't chronograph the ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [/quote]

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
alwaysoutdoors,

Head shot
25 yards
8 " barrel

You aren't going to learn to be an Indian tracker if you keep making shots like that.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That's the way to stack them up! Good work.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Unfortunately yes.
It is still in the cartridge case where I left it.
No opportunity for a shot, again.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
2015 Muledeer .257 WBY 100 gr. TTSX 250 yards 1/4 towards thru scapula , right lung , liver , found resting on left hip bone.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2015 Bear 45-70 Marlin 1895 Guide gun 405gr. Remington , 35 yards pretty much straight on .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Damn nice bear! Great work with the old 45/70!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd say this 120 TTSX had picture perfect performance. 7mm08 at 60 yd off hand shot. 205 lb buck was facing nearly straight on, bullet entered at base of neck just inside right shoulder blade and lodged under skin on opposite side just in front of the last ribs.
I also shot a doe thru the neck about 3 seconds later but no bullet was recovered.

Last edited by country_20boy; 12/22/15.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Good looking buck. My compliments on the 7/08. It is one of my favorite cartridges for hunting deer.

I've used the Barnes TSX and TTSX on whitetails, in the 6mm and .277 diameters. Both worked well.

I'm still kind of surprised that there are so many Barnes bullets in this thread.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NICE! Cant believe you caught that bullet!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
NICE! Cant believe you caught that bullet!

I was surprised a little myself. This was only the 2nd time I've caught one out of 25ish deer. The other was a doe shot straight on in the chest at 175 yds and the bullet was lodged in her hind quarter about 1.5" from exiting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
1oz Barnes Expander HP out of my 12 Ga 870. Bullet fell out of the offside wound on this 12 pointer I took 2 days before T'day in CT. Range was approx. 100 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bill_N; 12/24/15.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll be dipped. Another Barnes.

Regardless, that is a nice buck. Love those forky brow tines.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks! The rack has a lot of character. Going to do a skull mount on this one.

The big expander bullets don't penetrate that well. I've got 3 or 4 others that I've recovered over the last 5-6 years. If I could find another bullet that flies as well out of my gun I'd definitely try them.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Caught this one in a mule deer. The bullet went in behind the last rib and was buried in the offside shoulder. 140 Nosler Partition, 320 ish yards, from a 256 Newton.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
150 gr Winchester Deer Seaon XP from a 308 win. The shot was on a whitetail quartering to at about 300 yds. Busted the shoulder on impact and penetrated through the chest cavity. It punctured the liver and came to rest just under the skin in on the offside short ribs. Couldn't find the jacket.

[Linked Image]

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
elkchasr,
The Partition is a killing machine, is it not? I have one that came out of Mrs. Tide's first deer. It was a 95 grain Partition out of a 243. Really great hunting bullets.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
jac3k,

Interesting bullet. I realize that is a new design and meant to come undone like that, but even I would like it to be just a tad tougher.

Regardless, you pulled it out of a pile of groceries from the meat isle, so maybe I am being over critical.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I saw some folks asking about the XP earlier this year so I thought I would give it a try and post the results. From this sample of one it does appear to be a pretty destructive bullet. It produced a remarkable amount of damage from an 18" 308 at a distance of 300 yds. I think it did well penetrating 20" or so after destroying the shoulder bone upon impact. I believe these clocked around 2700 fps out of my rifle.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That is interesting. Wonder what the impact velocity was for a 150 grain bullet out of an 18" 308 barrel at 300 yards?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Recovered a Federal Fusion 150 grain bullet from a whitetail I shot with a 30-06 from about 45 yards. Bullet was recovered from the far side hide near the hind quarter. Weighed 136 grains. 1st time using factory ammo in about a decade, hard to not continue.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whats so impressive about that, that you would want to continue to use factory ammo?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jac3k
I saw some folks asking about the XP earlier this year so I thought I would give it a try and post the results. From this sample of one it does appear to be a pretty destructive bullet. It produced a remarkable amount of damage from an 18" 308 at a distance of 300 yds. I think it did well penetrating 20" or so after destroying the shoulder bone upon impact. I believe these clocked around 2700 fps out of my rifle.

Had that been an TSX it would have had 2 holes and IF you had caught it, it would have very likely been 100% retention and a very dead deer either way... Less damage to edible meat to boot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Whats so impressive about that, that you would want to continue to use factory ammo?

Its accurate, its cheap, it killed a deer. While killing the deer, the jacket did not separate and it retained >90% of its original weight. Whats not to like?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rost495

Had that been an TSX it would have had 2 holes and IF you had caught it, it would have very likely been 100% retention and a very dead deer either way... Less damage to edible meat to boot.

Well, interestingly enough, there are quite a few Barnes bullets in this thread. As many as half, or maybe slightly more, I would guess. You are right about the weight retention, but what difference does it make?

Do "very dead deer" look or eat differently than "dead" deer. and what is the difference between dead deer and "very" dead deer?

rost, I'm not trying to be a smartass, just asking a question.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^ Quite funny. We are always told that Barnes bullets always exit and all others are junk.

We recovered a 140 gr SST fired from a 6.5x55 from a deer. It had a rough ride going length ways down the spine and shed it's core. Broke a lot of bone along the way.

Gerry.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Shot my mulie buck this year with my .325 wsm using a 180 grain barnes TSX, which once again confirmed to me that they mess up as much meat as other "controlled expansion" bullets. Barnes makes good bullets nothing magical about them. In my .45-70 the barnes bullets due to their low sectional density and very wide expansion had rather limited penetration and I found the old 400 grain Speer hot-cor to in my mind perform better.

I like Barnes bullets and have used them on game in .257, .264, .284, .323 calibers and I believe them to be very good bullets when used within their design parameters. I have used other very good bullets from Hornady, Nolser, Swift and good bullets from Sierra and Speer.

We are blessed with an abundance of very good bullets available to users of factory ammunition and a plethora of very good bullets available to handloaders. With more options and improvements coming every year.

These are just my opinions and my opinions and a buck will buy you a coffee.

Great thread!. thanks to the OP and all those who have posted.

Happy new year.

GRF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GRF
Shot my mulie buck this year with my .325 wsm using a 180 grain barnes TSX, which once again confirmed to me that they mess up as much meat as other "controlled expansion" bullets. Barnes makes good bullets nothing magical about them. In my .45-70 the barnes bullets due to their low sectional density and very wide expansion had rather limited penetration and I found the old 400 grain Speer hot-cor to in my mind perform better.

I like Barnes bullets and have used them on game in .257, .264, .284, .323 calibers and I believe them to be very good bullets when used within their design parameters. I have used other very good bullets from Hornady, Nolser, Swift and good bullets from Sierra and Speer.

We are blessed with an abundance of very good bullets available to users of factory ammunition and a plethora of very good bullets available to handloaders. With more options and improvements coming every year.

These are just my opinions and my opinions and a buck will buy you a coffee.

Great thread!. thanks to the OP and all those who have posted.

Happy new year.

GRF

You are correct there are lots of great bullets these days, when it comes to them we are living in the good old days. I'm glad we have choices and can use whatever we want.

Happy new year to all as well.

Gerry.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have never recovered a bullet from my 35 whelen. I did shoot a huge buck in 07 with my 300 Wby. quartering to in the shoulder and the bullet was under the hide in the offside ham. It was a 180 gn Sierra Gameking and it was a perfect mushroom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
129 gr Hornaday IL from my .260 Rem.
Cow elk @ 252 yards. Rib-heart-rib and found in the off side leg just under the hide.
That's the 2nd one shot elk kill with that rifle and bullet combo.

[Linked Image]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
You know, my first thought was that the 129 grain Hornady was a bit tough for whitetails, but I am beginning to believe that it is a very consistent bullet for the velocity it sees from a 260 Remington.

I think I will keep working with this bullet from my 260 and see if I can catch any more of them.

Cheers,
CT

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Taken from a VERY heavy whitetail, with a 223.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Didn't recover any this season, but did last season. Shot this buck about 35 yards away with a Hornady 200 grain spire point interlock over IMR 3031 from my BLR .358 Winchester. The buck started quartering away just as I pulled the trigger. Bullet entered towards the rear of his left ribcage, shattered his right shoulder and lodged in his ball socket. He ran about 40 yards after the shot. Retained weight was 149.4 grains.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
35-200 SP Interlock - frontal.jpg (87.1 KB, 160 downloads)
35-200 SP Interlock - side.jpg (88.06 KB, 672 downloads)
Buck Hanging - reduced.jpg (91.06 KB, 168 downloads)
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Recovered this one just today ... Federal Premium 7mm08 with Barnes TSX.
125# hog at 130 yards. Quartering too entered left front shoulder and found in right ham. Dropped in its tracks.
Picture perfect bullet. Sorry I dont know how to make it show in the post but pic is attached.

Attached Images
IMG_1137(2).JPG (59.95 KB, 44 downloads)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.