Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Pardon me if I'm not quite with the program here on reduced loads in the 223.
The Blue Dot loads I have for 22BR, Fireball and .223 Rem are pretty sporty. 35 and 40 grainers tooting right along.
Much quieter and cooler, but still disgustingly capable of that afternoon Mobius Mist effect.
And I didn't get my Fireball to shoot 50s. Am I missing something here?

Dont know what you could have missed, sounds like you did your homework.If the Fireball wont shoot 50s you need to get rid of it.Next time you're in the state capital, just drop it off...... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

I usually load 16.0 grains of IMR4895 with 40's. Velocity usually runs around 1500-1600 fps, depending on barrel length, but you can increase velocity to whatever you want, since with single-based powders velocity will increase at the same rate as the charge. So far accuracy has been great in every rifle I've tried it in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks JB...I gotta try it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ingy,
What I mean was, I didn't get a Fireball so I could shoot 50 grainers. I got it because I liked the results of Blue Dotting the other two so much. The bottom line of that was, I had two rifles where I could enjoy the equivalent of a hot/accurate Hornet -- or maybe exactly a Fireball with the Dot loads.

I'd had a Hornet (77) for a while and my Long Rifle was better than it ever was. And when Mic McPherson wrote that story on Lil Gun in a Fireball, with photos of those sexy targets, the die was set. Another "twofer."

So, when I had a barrel up for retirement that still hummed with 40 grainers and Blue Dot, I just HAD to go buy a Stevens 200 (yes, I shot the donor) and have that tube re-cut for Fireball. Good idea. It shoots super with both LG and BD, but since I have more LG left than BD, I'm leaving the Dot loads for the bigger 22s.

I suppose with the price of rimfire being what it is, and the availability, there will be a point where we'll be chasing centerfire equivalents to LR and WMR and pouring our own lead pills from old batteries.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
OK, gotcha!

Meanwhile back at the range....

I shot another version of Seafires load...12.5 grains of IMR 4198 and a 55 gr. Hornady

It shot tight little groups in EXACTLY the same spot as my 50 grain load. Life is good!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Just for giggles here's a 10 shot group out of a Tikka I bought from a friend for my 9yo daughter to shoot gophers with this year. Kissing a 50 Zmax with 13 gr of Blue Dot, LC brass and a 400. I was gonna shoot up 1,000 of the 205m's I have laying around, but it didn't like them as much.
[Linked Image]

I went home, put the pistol powder bar in the Dillon and cranked out 500 for this spring.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Damn that flier! cry

Super shooting!

New scope got here today, gonna wring it out on the range tomorrow .......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There's a lot of good information in this thread, entertwined among the humor...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Higbean
Kissing a 50 Zmax with 13 gr of Blue Dot, LC brass and a 400.

I went home, put the pistol powder bar in the Dillon and cranked out 500 for this spring.

Why only 500? That wouldn't quite get through a good day on the killing fields here. grin

I'm gonna try JBs load with IMR 4895 and substitute a 55 grainer...see what happens today!

Course, Im shooting a Remmy so the load will probably blow up the gun, after the faulty trigger makes the gun go off all by itself and the bolt falls off.... grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Higbean
Kissing a 50 Zmax with 13 gr of Blue Dot, LC brass and a 400.

Why only 500? That wouldn't quite get through a good day on the killing fields here. grin

Poobs, I'll load up a bunch more if you share your spots! smile

But really, I just ran out of prepped LC brass about the time the newer bottle of Blue Dot was getting low.

A good day here is hit and miss. Living three hours (+) from where we shoot, it's hard to catch em on a good weekend. Between volleyball and the busy time of year with my business we always get pushed back into Summer when the shooting is not as good. Best day I've ever had was 950 rounds out of three guns. Wind was just enough to cool barrels when switching them out.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have noted that the IMR 4198 loads still heat up a barrel faster than Blue Dot when you are volume shooting...

went out once, with just the ADL in 223...

shot the Blue Dot loads for 650 rounds in one afternoon

averaging about 3 shots every 2 minutes ( I single feed my shots when shooting sage rats)... the barrel never heated up enough for me to have to worry about it, and stopping to cool it off...

with the 4198 loads, I suspect that a sporter weight barrel would need a little cooling off time along the way in that type of service...

but right now, Blue Dot availability is spotty... where as 4198 is readily available... at least here locally for the time being...

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
For us on gophers a normal day is about 400 rounds....a good day is 600 and an exceptional day is over 800 rounds ( per shooter)

Those days don't come along often...but it happens.... grin

John I think you might be right on the 4198 and barrel heating, but it wont be near as bad as my normal full load! Cant wait to find out! laugh

Heading to the range now to wring out the new scope......its a Burris MSR for the .223...has a turret and ballistic plex...not sure what to think of it all right yet.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
It's a Burris, I'm sure you'll love it.....

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
OK...here we go with todays report..

I AM A TURRET SPINNING MOFO! laugh

Sighted zero at 50 yards with reduced load, took it out to 100 yards and had to spin my turret four whole clicks up! grin

Call me one of the cool kids now.... cool

Anyway... shot a few loads to see what was more gooder in this gun...50 yards...everything was pretty ,much the same...

[Linked Image]

Seafires load.....

[Linked Image]

And JBs. load with 55 grainers instead...

[Linked Image]

Things opened up correspondingly at 100 yards. Everything shot barely into an inch with the nod for best consistency going to the 50 grain Vmax.

I spun my turret 4 clicks back to zero and went home! grin

The Burris MSR scope by the way was fine, just like a 3x9 FF with Ballistic plex...and a turret....

Last edited by ingwe; 12/02/15.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Now that you're a turret twister, we're gonna have to talk you into a chronograph...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sheesh, now you weasels have me thinking about spring and I was just getting my head settled for THE DARK TIME.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Load lots of varmint bullets during the dark time...... grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Load lots of varmint bullets during the dark time...... grin

Why are you yelling at me?

smile

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
IM NOT YELLING AT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

You are just hyper-sensitive. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Digging up this thread to say thanks Seafire and ingwe for the info and the enabling.

It motivated me to snag a pound of IMR 4198 yesterday to load up a "bunny load" with the 55g Horn SP W/C. I also have some 53g V-MAX's I could try but since Hornady doesn't bulk package those I'm hoping to get the el cheapo 55g SP's to work (since I have about 330 left).

Thanks!

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.